Menu

Yeah, me. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I've gotten to where I just dread needing to go for more than milk, bread, and fruit. And with grocery prices going up I just don't want to go because then I'll have to spend money. And I don't feel like spending money. Not even for food. I know that's weird and doesn't make any sense, but that's how I've been feeling. Hate the grocery shopping, hate the cooking. I haven't had a lot of good experiences lately with trying new recipes, either. *sigh* :D

Me too!!!!! I hate dealing with it all. I just want to get in and get out. My wonderful girls ask me so many questions that it is hard to concentrate on what I need to buy and the best price but their questions are so good that I have to answer them. Then, I get home and I'm always missing several things on my list because I was busy talking to them!

Something I've tried lately that makes it a bit better- I give each girl their own list (I also write their list on my list) and they help me get the things on their list. They now have a purpose other then behaving (and asking questions) while we shop and it does go quicker!

Today we went. If the kids behave...they get a donut. The boys did not behave, my dd did. Dd got a donut, they did not. They sniffled so much thru the checkout line that the bagger said, "Cheer up boys, it's not that bad." Then he glared at me :001_huh:!

I'm seriously considering going by myself sometime.

I don't mind going alone. I don't mind going with dh and the kids (as I only do 1/2 the store that way). I don't enjoying going with just the kids.

Opportunites to shop has been limited the last few weeks by various illnesses. I've resorted to ordering online and doing the drive-through pickup. The kids love this, too!

I hate going too! I hate spending that much money at one time. Kinda makes me sick at my stomach. I don't mind buying several items we are out of because it will normally only cost $10-$20. But once I start spending $100-$200 in one shot......ugh.

Dh has to go grocery shopping a lot for me. If he doesn't, I won't get enough food because I am afraid of spending too much money!:tongue_smilie:

If your kids are 5th and 7th grade, I'd leave them home. Not that you asked or anything!

My dh does the shopping. At first it was a way to bond with our children (he'd take them on Fridays when they were preschoolers), then it was a way for him to manage our money. Now it's both--dd goes most Fridays.

I like going, so I'm no help, really. But there's plenty I don't like doing, so I can empathize on some level! :D

I remember feeling just like that. When the twins were little, it took me days to get my courage up. Once my girls were old enough to leave home, I turned it into a date night. ;) Dh goes with me, he unloads everything, bags all of it, puts it in the car (I put everything away at home), and then we usually stop for something to eat or a treat. Not sure if dh thinks it's a real date night, but it works for me. Grocery shopping without children is so much easier.

The only time I don't mind going grocery shopping is if I don't have the kids! Of course, that doesn't happen often... Tonight DH has said if I waited until he gets home, we'll all go together. Somehow, I don't know that it will be any better...

THANK YOU! I'm the same way. I don't mind shopping if I can do it alone, but carting around kids and keeping a running talley of how much I've spent, and keeping track of my list.................... :banghead: It's too much for me (I do it, but I don't like it).

Yes, I hate it too. Plus, my house has stairs from my garage to the kitchen. Who designed this house?? And why did I not "see" this issue when we decided to buy it? This is definitely not our forever home because I might not be able to navigate those steps with groceries when I'm older.

I shop one day a week and dh goes with me. It makes the trip a bit more tolerable. I absolutely hate cooking. Thank goodness dh took over that dull chore long ago.

I hate it so much I get a big delivery every two weeks from a local grocery chain and only shop at a (very) nearby Whole Foods (and farmers' markets in season) for the more highly perishable goods. Avoiding the hassle is more than worth the $10 delivery charge.

ETA: If it were just me... I'd have to say I love it. :)

I just hate shopping in general. I go to WalMart and a grocery store. Once a month, maybe, I go to the craft/material store and the used book store (these three stores are right in a row, I don't even need to move the van!).

If I can't get it at WalMart or the other store I mentioned I look at Amazon.

I hate shopping.

I hate it so much I get a big delivery every two weeks from a local grocery chain and only shop at a (very) nearby Whole Foods (and farmers' markets in season) for the more highly perishable goods. Avoiding the hassle is more than worth the $10 delivery charge.

ETA: If it were just me... I'd have to say I love it. :)

:eek: You grocery store delivers??? I would pay the $10 to have mine delivered. Always wondered why they didn't have a grocery store drive through. You can order online and go pick it up in a couple hours. *sigh* I would love it.

:eek: You grocery store delivers??? I would pay the $10 to have mine delivered. Always wondered why they didn't have a grocery store drive through. You can order online and go pick it up in a couple hours. *sigh* I would love it.
They offer both services. You order online, and they bag everything up. It's $10 for home delivery and $5 for curbside pickup. I think Safeway has online shopping and delivery around here too.

For all of you who hate it, I wish I was there for you! I absolutely *love* grocery shopping. Maybe b/c it's one of the few things I'm gifted at? :)

That said, going with my kiddos makes it so much more difficult. Being in the store somehow zaps away any concept of list, budget, and nutrition that I might have previously imparted to them. So I end up having to explain numerous times that No, we are not buying those cookies and I can make Lunchables for 1/10th of that price and Yes, we will be eating each of these green vegetables at some point this week and No, fruit snacks are not really in any viable food group so therefore will not be going home with us.

I actually don't mind shopping *IF* I go when the store isn't too crowded. ;) (which is EARLY morning -- before 8 AM or LATE evening -- after 9 PM)

I take either my 18yo or my 14yo -- they push the cart while I read the list and gather the goods.

When we get to the checkout, they take the bags off and put them in the cart.

Yes, for me it starts with the dread of making my list. I use the Grocery Game and it's a royal pain to get all the coupons together, but then I also have to figure out everything we're going to eat for the entire week to make sure it's all included on my list.

Then, I hate everything you mentioned, though I do usually go by myself on the weekend without the kids. Taking the kids ramps it up to the next level of misery even though they are really pretty good.

Lisa

I've been sitting around the house all day dreading the trip to the grocery store. :glare: Lately, it has become such a chore. Loading up the kids, loading up the cart, unloading onto the conveyor, reloading into the cart again then into the trunk, unloading into the house and reloading onto the shelves. I hate it!!!!! I mean, I really really hate it. Add to that, I am so sick of cooking, so sick of everything in my recipe rotation, but at the same time at a loss of what to cook (not that anyone around here would give me any ideas).

Aaarrrghghgh! I'm outta here ..... :auto: :auto:

I am so right there with you!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been sitting around the house all day dreading the trip to the grocery store. :glare: Lately, it has become such a chore. Loading up the kids, loading up the cart, unloading onto the conveyor, reloading into the cart again then into the trunk, unloading into the house and reloading onto the shelves. I hate it!!!!! I mean, I really really hate it. Add to that, I am so sick of cooking, so sick of everything in my recipe rotation, but at the same time at a loss of what to cook (not that anyone around here would give me any ideas).

I thought I was the only one who thought this way. I've hauled those groceries into cart and outta cart and car so many times I could just spit.

And I hate cooking about as much as grocery shopping.

So yes. I hate it!!!!! I mean, I really really hate it. Really, really hate it.

I swore a couple of weeks ago that the kids will not see the inside of a grocery shop this year. It's not the shopping that gets me, it's the shopping-with-kids. I just can't do it anymore. Our city has recently stumbled into the 21st Century, and the shops are now open until 9pm 5 days a week, so it's now feasible for me to shop in the evenings when dh is home.

Nikki

I hate it so much I rarely go. We buy in bulk through the food co-op, we get a weekly delivery from the dairy, and we get a side of beef, a gallon of honey, etc. from local suppliers. We make our own bread and baked goods. I go to WF, Costco, and TJ once a month and stock up. Other than that, I just go to the fruit market once or twice a week.

I hate it so much I rarely go. We buy in bulk through the food co-op, we get a weekly delivery from the dairy, and we get a side of beef, a gallon of honey, etc. from local suppliers. We make our own bread and baked goods. I go to WF, Costco, and TJ once a month and stock up. Other than that, I just go to the fruit market once or twice a week.

Did I hear you right? You get a delivery of dairy and beef!

Problem solved. I'm there!:auto:

I thought I was the only one who thought this way. I've hauled those groceries into cart and outta cart and car so many times I could just spit.

And I hate cooking about as much as grocery shopping.

So yes. I hate it!!!!! I mean, I really really hate it. Really, really hate it.

I've been tempted with this, then I remember my sister's time in Africa and how she wished for groceries. Sometimes their was simple nothing available. How they longed for vegetables.One time I sent her freeze dried peas and she cooked them soft and couldn't stop eating.

Why am I writing this? Well, it sure has helped me with my attitudes.:tongue_smilie:

I really do wish there was an easier way of getting from the store to the house.

Amen! I feel that way most of the time about grocery shopping!

:grouphug:

I've been tempted with this, then I remember my sister's time in Africa and how she wished for groceries. Sometimes their was simple nothing available. How they longed for vegetables.One time I sent her freeze dried peas and she cooked them soft and couldn't stop eating.

Why am I writing this? Well, it sure has helped me with my attitudes.:tongue_smilie:

I really do wish there was an easier way of getting from the store to the house.

Yes, I realize this. Because every time I think like this, I think of people who are terminal and what they wouldn't give to be able to do just this.

DH does most of the cooking around here. But I LIKE grocery shopping (though not with him). I like taking DD, too. She goes to different aisles to get items, which speeds things up. She's even learning to comparison shop--for example, I told her last time to get the biggest bag of tortillas she could that had the cheapest per oz. price on them. She couldn't reach the shelf they were on, but came pretty close based on what she could reach!

Last time we went, I was tired and not feeling well and being 38 wks pg...I got an electric shopping cart. I let DD sit on my knee and do the steering part of the time, and she got almost everything off the shelves. It was awesome.

I've been known to take kids I was babysitting with me grocery shopping, just because. The best part of that is, if they misbehave I have the disclaimer that they're not mine. :tongue_smilie:

It's not fun when I'm in any kind of hurry, though, so I try not to take DD if we don't have plenty of time.

I do hate spending the money, though. It's a lot more fun when we have food stamps and that money is FOOD money and so I don't feel like I'm maybe screwing up the rent budget by buying some blueberries or whatever. I make a list, go through the ads and make a list of ad matches, and clip coupons for the few things I can find those for...that part is actually kind of fun, too.

I usually get help from DH or DW#2 with unloading.

I used to really really hate it. In fact, for several years my dh went because he didn't mind it and I hated it so much. Now, though I love it. I am pretty sure that one hour spent grocery shopping is the only hour of my entire week where I am actually ALONE. I put my earbuds in, crank up my ipod and enjoy my "alone time". :D

I don't mind so much going on my own, which is what I normally do.

Dh LOVES grocery shopping though and if he's around he usually wants to come. Often blows my budget but he just hands over the extra. Its really not so bad but I do prefer to kind of trolley along at my own pace, reading ingredients lists etc.

Sounds like you need some new meals on your meal lists. I have been using plantoeat.com (an online meal planning program) since someone linked to it here a couple of weeks ago and because its so easy, I am finding new recipes to try. So far, so good. Every other system hasn't worked for me but I think this one will.

This probably won't help anyone, but maybe it will help someone, so I'll post it:

My kids got some used Game Boy Advance games for Christmas in 2009 (they're about $30 each used.) We bought them a bunch of used games ($2.99 - 12.99 on average). You can get these at stores like GameStop.

We only let them play on the Game Boys when we're shopping or in waiting rooms.

I get one of those big shopping carts at WalMart where the kids sit right under the handlebar and the basket is waaay out front. They're very unwieldy and hard to steer, but the boys sit there bent over their games the whole time. In silence.

It's helped. I still detest bringing stuff in from the car. I timed it today that I would arrive home right when DH was due home, but he ended up being 15 minutes late and I had to carry everything in alone. I don't like doing it because it hurts. The bags are too heavy, my knees hurt on the stairs, the muscles in my arms hurt when I have to heave up the bags to open the screen door. Sometimes the boys help bringing in the groceries, and sometimes their "help" is more of a hindrance.

I can't wait until they're big strapping boys and can do ALL the lifting for me.

I like to do my grocery shopping online and have it delivered. They bring the groceries right into my kitchen. I love that!

The only time I go to the store is to go to Trader Joe's, but I usually do that without the kids, so I don't mind it too much.

I like to do my grocery shopping online and have it delivered. They bring the groceries right into my kitchen. I love that!
I used to pooh-pooh the idea, because I didn't think it was worth $10. This may be because I'm *just* old enough to remember the days when grocery delivery was not unusual and was free aside from the tip (at least where I grew up). I can't believe I held out as long as I did. Silly me.

I really, REALLY don't like grocery shopping. It's better if I go without the kids. And better if dh goes with me, bc we sort of have fun when we're together. I think I'm just so slow and I feel like I get sucked in there for too long, even with a list.

Dh sees it like a conquest...he's in, out, and fast. So he usually goes. In fact, he prefers it, because he can do it faster...he knows I'm inefficient at this! Fine with me...

I used to pooh-pooh the idea, because I didn't think it was worth $10. This may be because I'm *just* old enough to remember the days when grocery delivery was not unusual and was free aside from the tip (at least where I grew up). I can't believe I held out as long as I did. Silly me.

That and when $10 was worth something :glare:

Anymore, a ten might as well be a five.