Menu

s/o what foods have you never tried?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Avocado, including guacamole.

Don't wanna. Don't know why; I'm a fairly adventurous eater -eat pretty much all green veggies; I've eaten sushi, squid, various odd game meats (antelope, venison, ostrich, buffalo and others), not to mention very mysterious dim sum dishes where I just don't ask... :tongue_smilie:

I hate olives and pickles, but I've tried them (usually not on purpose - they like to hide in things :glare:)

I commented on the other thread that I'd never tried brussel sprouts. In my case it's not a case of avoidance--I've just never been served them by anyone and haven't taken the initiative to cook them for myself yet. Maybe I'll try them this week. Anyone want to tell me how to prepare them?:bigear:

Eggplant is the only other "mainstream" thing I can think of that I haven't tried (for the same reasons as above).

Lobster and until a few weeks ago salmon as well. I'm not big on fish and seafood.

About a year ago I realized my dds had never tried ketchup.:tongue_smilie: They never needed sauces to eat any foods so I just never thought about it. I let them try some with fries and they didn't like it at all.

Asparagus, brussel sprouts, tuna, lobster, crab, and most other seafood, avocados, venison, and I'm sure there's more :001_smile:.

Wow!!!! you really need to try some of these things!!!! Your tongue will thank you!!!

Avocado, including guacamole.

Don't wanna. Don't know why; I'm a fairly adventurous eater -eat pretty much all green veggies; I've eaten sushi, squid, various odd game meats (antelope, venison, ostrich, buffalo and others), not to mention very mysterious dim sum dishes where I just don't ask... :tongue_smilie:

I hate olives and pickles, but I've tried them (usually not on purpose - they like to hide in things :glare:)

Avacado has to be my favorite food. Ever. Seriously. Try it on a sandwich instead of mayo. Heavenly.

I commented on the other thread that I'd never tried brussel sprouts. In my case it's not a case of avoidance--I've just never been served them by anyone and haven't taken the initiative to cook them for myself yet. Maybe I'll try them this week. Anyone want to tell me how to prepare them?:bigear:

Eggplant is the only other "mainstream" thing I can think of that I haven't tried (for the same reasons as above).

Brussel sprouts - get them fresh. The frozen/canned ones are NOT the same!!! Cut off the end and quarter them. Put oil on them with fresh garlic, salt and pepper. Roast them at 350 for 20 minutes or so. Stir them a bit. Let them start to blacken just a bit. Yum. Heavenly!!!

Or, quarter them and cook them on the stovetop in a little butter, fresh garlic, salt and pepper. It takes about 15 minutes. Let them get a bit darkened.

Of course, two of my kids prefer them raw. With nothing on them. Weird kids!!!! But, all of them LOVE brussel sprouts!!!

Oh - Eggplant!!!! LOVE IT!!!!! Simple recipe - saute some olive oil with onions. Stick the eggplant in with a little water. (Eggplant needs to have been peeled and cut into bite-sized sections) Let it cook on medium for about 20 minutes - until the eggplant is soft. Add a can of tomatoes and curry and cumin. Let it cook another 15 minutes or so. Serve over rice. Yummmmmmmm.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I have tried quite a bit of different food too. I have had deer, rabbit, squirrel, alligator, frogs, escargot, fish eggs (AKA Caviar,) Snake and different parts of the cow, like tongue. I've eaten Rocky Mountain Oysters too! :001_smile:

I was born in Hawaii and grew up eating Star Fruit and Pomegranate. I spent most of my growing up years in Texas and I have also eaten Cactus.

I have to say that I have not had Ostrich either, never had an oppurtunity. I love watching Bizzare Foods with Andrew Zimmerman! I don't think I could eat the things he does.

I'm not sure I ever tried Spam, but I vaguely thing I did as a youngster, at least once. Couldn't swear to it though.

I've had pretty much everything. Now there's food I've tried and don't like and will not eat again, like green peppers.

Other than that, I had alligator, rattle snake, snails, lobsters, and all sorts of seafood. Even sheep brains.

I have only had a Coke once. It was about 4 years ago.

!

I know! I finally had it when my husband's aunt gave me some.

I've had a fair number of fruits and vegetables, but I don't think I've ever eaten dandelion, breadfruit, or a gooseberry. I don't think I ever want to eat another durian but I did have it once!

Avocados are so nice! I love guacamole, and I love avocados in a milk shake type drink. But I don't like them plain.

I am not exotic when it comes to meat. I am not planning on eating squirrel, deer, camel, or anything that slithers. Ugh.

I am amazed at the number of people who've never tried avocado!! Especially since it is one of the first foods I feed my babies. :lol: It's a perfect baby food- scoop, mash, yum!

I've never eaten lobster or oysters or most fish. My parents didn't care for seafood, so I've only had what my husband has introduced me to- salmon and trout and shrimp and maybe a few others.

I've never had escargot and I don't think I've ever tried liver. Maybe a bite once, but I don't think so.

Beets taste like dirt. You aren't missing much!

Yes they do! I can't think of anything I haven't tried. I've eaten oysters (raw and cooked), liver, snake, alligator, shark, squirrel, frog legs, and everything else that I've seen on this thread so far - except brains. Oh, and whatever that is that Heather said she wouldn't eat!

Hm. I've never had oysters, either the ones from the sea or the Rocky Mounatains. ;) No squirrel, though I think I may have had alligator (or was it just on the menu and I considered it??) Haven't tried organ meats other than liver - unless you count giblet gravy. :) I love liverwurst, though. With all the prion diseases out there, I purposefully stay away from brains, and have no intention of eating the foot of any animal. :tongue_smilie: I let those chicken feet (and shark fins) pass right by me at dim sum.

I've eaten fish eggs, but only watched someone else eat escargot. :D

I have eaten eel, and eat quinoa and soba noodles regularly.

Edited by matroyshka
typos

I haven't tried a lot of the more exotic meats listed here but I have eaten frogs legs, squid, ostrich, elk, buffalo and the one I haven't seen listed yet

RACCOON.

My mom barbequed it. It was terrible. The dog didn't even like it but humorously my uncle thought it was tasty so we sent all the leftovers home with him.

Sushi, dogmeat (seriously, I had the opportunity, but declined). I can't eat slimey foods.

I haven't eaten frog legs, rattlesnake, ostrich, duck, goose, and more exotic seafood. I have had cabbage, turnips, rutabega, etc. I grew up in a southern/old world family. Some of that 'fancy' food I've never had the opportunity to try.

What's durian?

Durian is a stinky, nasty fruit from Southeast Asia. Seen it, but never tried it--at least to my knowledge. We've lived in four countries now, two in Asia, so I really can't think of much I haven't had, especially as far as mainstream goes. Those of you who haven't had an avocado need to go try one! Mmmmmmm. We're pretty adventerous with our eating and when out, will eat first and ask questions later. (DH has had much more odd things, than I have, including sea cucumber and who knows what else.)

Catfish. Not gonna try it. It's the only food I'm a wimp about. Why? Because my mother once saw a bunch of catfish feeding on an animal carcass in the water, because that's what catfish do: they scavenge. The thought of eating something that might have fed on a dead critter grossed her out, and so she could never bring herself to taste it.

I'm just following in her footsteps. :D

I've never had veal or lobster. There are actually quite a few meats I've never had. Like a poster above, I've never had catfish because it's a bottom-feeder. I've never had quail or pheasant.

I don't eat a whole lot of meat, and when I do it's pretty basic--beef, chicken, pork, fish.

I have never tried brussel sprouts, cabbage (cannot stand the smell of it), beets, radishes, most Chinese food, most seafood (shrimp, crab, clams, you name it), and sushi (sounds even grosser than other seafood).

Things I tried once and absolutely hated with a passion: raw carrots, raw tomatoes, anything with onions, salad (I know I am weird), salad dressing, parmesan cheese, green tea (I think it tastes like tree bark), flavored tea, meatloaf (need I say more), anything with coconut, coffee (any kind), and dark chocolate.

It is funny how things my dh loves I hate and things I love he hates to eat.

-he loves parmesan cheese, I hate it

-I love bananas, banana bread, anything with bananas, he hates them

-he loves salad, I hate it

-I love most vegetables like lima beans, spinach, etc., he will only tolerate some of them, but hates most vegetables (except salad of course)

-he loves Ranch dressing, I won't touch it with a 10-foot pole

-I don't necessarily love chicken but it is the only meat I will tolerate, dh loves his meat (all kinds)

-he eats raw carrots for a snack, I would rather gag

-I mostly drink water, he loves his soda and green tea

-he loves Chinese food (he has been trying to convince me to try it again), I would rather starve!

-my dh also will eat seafood, but the only time I eat something fish like is from Long John Silver's and I don't know if that counts.

-I love sweets that have anything but chocolate, dh loves his dark chocolate, coconut, and toffee

Well, before reading everyone else's replies, I thought I was a pretty adventutous eater: I have had buffalo, alligator, dogmeat (didn't find out until it was too late) and all sorts of unverifiable seafood items (I lived in the orient) but after reading the rest of the replies, I came up with this list:

Chitlins

Rocky Mountain Oysters

the regular kind too

Snail

Ostrich

Kangaroo

Frog Legs

Balut (A balut is a fertilized duck (or chicken) egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell.)

Any whale, walrus, dolphin, seal or other such sealife.

I have not tried the following foods, and I aim to make this a permanent condition:

okra

oysters (any type)

beets

sushi

most fish & water dwellers (love lobster, crab, and tuna only)

most organ meats (I love liver, though)

pig feet, calf tongue ... stuff like that

pickled food -- except for pickled cucumbers, which I like

cheese with mold in it

Limburger cheese (although I love the way it smells)

Clam bellies