Menu

Do you apologize to your children? To your husband?

Yes in both instances. Occasionally forgiveness is given right away, occasionally the forgiver needs a little more time to let it go, but we try to keep short accounts. I think it's important to know how to humble ones' self, and there's no better way to teach that than modeling it.

Don't know if you are a religious person or not, but "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble" (James 4:6) is often on my mind when I go to seek forgiveness from anyone, little or big.

Guest Cindie2dds
How do they respond? Do you feel it's important to acknowledge your own wrongdoing? Do you expect your children and husband to apologize to you when they've been unkind or inconsiderate? How do you respond?

Yes, we all do, then we ask to be forgiven by the person we have hurt. It's a great way to heal and move on when one forgives. :)

YES!!!!!! YES!!!!!! YES!!!!!! I apologize to my children quite a bit. And I will tell you why...growing up my mom and I had a great relationship she would apologize to me and treated me with love and respect, until she got married when I was 12. Then she changed, she said it was me being and adolescent...and she had to be more of a traditional mom. Really, she was spiraling into manic/depression and alcholism. Our relationship didn't recover till I had been married and out of the house 4yrs. She got help and has now been sober 7yrs. As part of her recovery she apologized to me for that season of my life. That was so healing, and eventually I was able to trust that I really did have my old mom from early childhood back!!! YEAH!!! read my spin off thread about grown children :D

We do a lot of apologizeing, and alot of forgiveing in our family, and bunch of extending grace to one another!!!

How do they respond? Do you feel it's important to acknowledge your own wrongdoing? Do you expect your children and husband to apologize to you when they've been unkind or inconsiderate? How do you respond?

It's a hard thing to do and yes, I do apologize to my children and/or husband when I've been wrong. I feel it's very important to acknowledge my own wrongdoing and to do so without justifying or rationalizing. If I don't model that for my children/dh, how can I expect it of them?

I do expect my husband and children to apologize. I don't expect them to read my mind and to know when I've been hurt without telling them. If I feel injured, it's my responsibility to let them know what they've done and how if affected me. When they give me a heartfelt apology, I respond with forgiveness.

That being said, "I'm sorry." is not a heartfelt apology and "That's okay." is not forgiveness.

Yes, all the time. It did not come naturally, but my dh modeled it so well that I have gradually learned. I am still not as quick to apologize as he is, but I am getting better. I came from a very non-confrontational, pretend-there-was-no-conflict, sweep it under the rug family. His family was more confrontational, yet quicker to own up to be being wrong. His family's way is healthier. :)

Yes- I know that growing up us kids had to apologize but I don't recall my parents apologizing very often. I think apologizing, if it is sincere, helps keep hard feelings and the lines of communication flowing better. I know that as an adult my dad apologized for something and wow, that sure helped me get past the issue.

Our family is Christian, so this is integral to the practice of our faith. Admitting that you are wrong and need forgiveness is a major part of being a Christian, imo. Being truly sorry when you've hurt someone is also an outcome of fully admitting you're wrong and acknowleging the impact your wrong has had. Full reconciliation is the goal. Obviously it implies that you do what you can to stop the misbehavior from occurring in the future as well.

So, yes, I apologize when I've done something wrong, to both my dh and dc. They respond with forgiveness. They also all apologize to me and to each other. Again, the response is forgiveness. This is all done asap--typically within minutes of the offense--when we've had enough time to cool down or get perspective. It sometimes takes a couple hours. Rarely is it carried on to the next day. So up-to-date accounts and reconciliation is the goal here.

We taught this to our dc very early in life. They continue to practice it now that they are teenagers.

I didn't grow up in a Christian home and my parents rarely (maybe never) apologized for anything . I think part of it is a religious difference and part of it is a shift in view of what is meant by parental authority. I think many in my parents' generation believed that parents were always right and that it was disrespect for a child to point out otherwise and to have apologized would have been tantamount to tarnishing that image of authority.

Edited by Laurie4b

Yes and we use the words, "Will you forgive me?" instead of "I'm sorry" because it just seems that "sorry" is used so flippantly in this culture and doesn't necessarily imply repentence for hurting the other person.

Also, my boys got into a stage when they didn't seem too loving towards each other so not only did we discuss the proper use, attitude, and response to giving or receiving forgiveness but I started assigning "hug-ins". Meaning that the complaintants had to hug each other afterward until I said stop. Once, I went to throw a load of laundry into the dryer, then headed to the bathroom, then went to the kitchen, and several minutes later, looked out to find the 13 year old and the 10 year old still hugging and looking just a bit overwrought! So, I had to go eat crow for forgetting them and then we all had to hug. But, it tends to make situations mend pretty well!

Faith

At our home, adults and kids do apologize.

We use the lighter "oh, sorry" for "oops" things like bumping into each other...the things that you can answer with "no problem" or "it's okay". When any of us are apologizing we say something like "I'm sorry I [fill in the blank], please forgive me" We will answer each other with "I forgive you" and not "that's okay". (this isn't as formal as it sounds but I think the distinction between "oops" and apologizing is important)

I'm glad to see so many people answering with answers like "of course". DH grew up in a household where only children apologized and the parents were never wrong. It is a miserable dynamic.

I started assigning "hug-ins". Meaning that the complaintants had to hug each other afterward until I said stop. Once, I went to throw a load of laundry into the dryer, then headed to the bathroom, then went to the kitchen, and several minutes later, looked out to find the 13 year old and the 10 year old still hugging and looking just a bit overwrought! So, I had to go eat crow for forgetting them and then we all had to hug. But, it tends to make situations mend pretty well!

Faith

I laughed outright just thinking of this.

Edited by Susan in KY

We adults apologize and I encourage (but dont force) DS to apologize too. More importantly when something happens we sit down to talk about it ("time ins" vs "time outs") - WHAT happened and WHY it was hurtful/inappropriate, and try to brainstorm better ways we all could have handled it. DS will apologize on his own several times during our conversation (without prompting). But sometimes he dreads hearing me saying "Okay, we need to take a break and talk" LOL

I wish we didn't have as much bad behavior as we do, but neither of us had a good childhood example of gracious living in our family.

Recently my son went on a long canoeing trip with the Boy Scouts and one of the dads told me that when my son did something wrong he apologized sincerely and it humbled a lot of adults with bad attitudes. That made me glad that there has been a silver lining in the cloud of arguments.

Yes, I apologize, they apologize. We've extended a lot of grace and forgiveness around here.

Yes, of course. I'm sincerely surprised by the question. I guess I think this is just a normal part of life. How could you NOT apologize when you are wrong. It's the only way to repair the relationship. We apologize to each other almost daily. Everybody makes mistakes and it's part of being an adult to accept responsibility for them and even more importantly, accept repsonsiblity for how they effect others.

When I apologize I admit wrong doing, stating clearly what it was that I did wrong in words, often stating what I should have done instead or WHY what I did was wrong, then acknowledge how my wrong must have made the person feel and then say I'm sorry and ask for forgiveness.

When a family member apologizes to me, I thank them for it, sometimes say what I wish they would have done, sometimes reiterate WHY it was wrong or why it made me feel bad, and then tell them that I forgive them and love them.

This is what relationship is all about. Leaving wrongs undealt with builds walls. We try to be totally honest and totally real with each other. We talk things out. We try to never leave a hurt unaddressed. We try to never value our own ego above the feelings of others. We apologize and forgive.

Yes, I absolutely do. They usually respond very graciously. They dol apologize to me as well. If it is one of my children, I will fully accept the apology and respond graciously as well and tell them all is forgiven. My husband, on the other hand, often apologizes before he truly means it, so I have a harder time accepting his apologies. In other words, he'll apologize, but then start telling me why the whole thing was really my fault.

Lisa

Yep. In fact I just apologized to dh last night for responding sharply when he asked me a simple question while I was busy/stressed. Dh usually demonstrates that he's sorry by doings something, being more cuddly, etc. but he's not very good at verbally apologizing. I'm trying to help him verbalize it more before our son is older because kids aren't necessarily going to pick up on the subtleties of that kind of "apology." I remember my parents apologozing several times and always had fresh respect for them when they did. I also remember wishing they had done it more when they were clearly in the wrong and knew it.

Absolutely! If I've wronged anyone, whether it be a friend, acquaintance, customer, husband or child, I apologize. Not only is it the right thing to do, it models an important behavior for my children. I do expect my children and my husband to apologize as well. If someone doesn't know that they have done something hurtful, so it is also my responsibility to speak up (ETA: that it, if I can't let it go without discussing it). I usually don't required it in the middle of a hormonal meltdown (the fun things about teens and preteens), but I need to follow up and encourage it. Sometimes, the apology comes in the form of a hug or a bowl of ice cream (which is always welcome;).)

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

Absolutely!! I always apologize to them if I have a moment. ;) My 12 year old usually hugs me and says it's ok mom...I love you. My dh usually laughs and says that was hard right...and gives me a kiss. :D

I apologize. And I've taught my children to apologize to us and to each other if needed.

My dh was taught early in his Christian life that you only have to confess to God and not apologize to the person if you wrong someone. He knows that is not scriptural now and as a pastor does not teach this! But still there is a habit there (or lack of a habit there) that comes out just in the home at times. Having said that, he apologized to me just last night:)

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

One of the greatest joys in life is being fully, completely convinced that I'm wrong & apologizing to dh. Usually, we just have misunderstandings, restate things, etc.

But to be wrong & realize it & apologize? It has the loveliest effect on a person, is one of the deepest expressions of love & respect, & is a gift that is not easily obtained (after all, you have to be wrong about something first, lol)--so it's very precious to give.

That said, I hate most apologies. "I'm sorry" is aboslutely worthless most of the time. It's really only worth something when the other person really expresses understanding of what they've done. Once that understanding is clear, imo, the apology is moot. You already know they're sorry.

I also apologize to the kids, but with that is a clear explanation of what I've done wrong, in the great hope that they won't copy me. :001_huh:

Yes, I apologize to my children and my dh. I think apologies are very important and we all must see that we are falliable and willing to acknowledge that.

I have 2 members of my family that have an extremely hard time apologizing and it HURTS! It hurts to be hurt and without an apology it can cause scars.

Yes, DH and I both apologize to our children. For us, it is a matter of respect for their personhood. It is unreasonable for me to expect respect from my children when I don't demonstrate respect for them. As such, if I act in a manner inconsistent with what is a respectful way to treat someone (losing my cool or being impatient), I should apologize. We need to model the behavior we would seek to inculcate in them.

Many adults whom I know blanch at the idea of "condescending" to apologize to children. All I can say is that this mentality ultimately leads to alienation and/or contempt. It certainly does not promote what I deem a healthy relationship.

Regarding my expectations, I do not expect nor "require" an apology, as I believe that compulsory apologies are disingenuous. Now in matters of social decorum, there should be an "apology" for rudeness etc... In matters of attitude/behavior toward others (such as kindness), it needs to come from them or it is disingenuous. I want my children to "own" their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. Forcing them to apologize (as though that is really possible anyway) is akin to forcing them to give/receive affection from relatives they don't know. It is false.

All. The. Time. It's a natural part of our family's relationships. It is NOT the way I grew up. I am thankful that my children openly apologize to each other (and us), see dh and I apologize to each other, and *gracefully* accept apologies from us.

I apologize all the time ;) Most of the time the response is, "that's alright." That response comes from all of us.

I do think it's important to acknowledge being in the wrong (or rude, or even accidentally stepping on someone's toes) and I expect that everyone in my home behaves accordingly.

I apologize all the time ;) Most of the time the response is, "that's alright." That response comes from all of us.

I do think it's important to acknowledge being in the wrong (or rude, or even accidentally stepping on someone's toes) and I expect that everyone in my home behaves accordingly.

:iagree::iagree:

That being said, "I'm sorry." is not a heartfelt apology and "That's okay." is not forgiveness.

:iagree: Since our boys are autistic, they work well with outlines & plans of action. While it might be overkill for other children, we've given our boys an outline (on paper) of what a TRUE apology is. In most cases (except for when they're apologizing for an accident or genuine oversight/mistake), it involved saying what they've done that they're sorry for, why it was wrong, what they should have done instead, and that they will do their best not to do that again. In addition to a actually saying that they're sorry, of course. ;) Once they've apologized to the person they hurt, they also have to apologize to God for their sin and ask for His help to behave in a more godly manner.

I know it's just a colloquialism, but it drives me NUTS when my kids tell anyone, especially an adult, "sorry" and the response is "that's okay" or "no problem, it's not a big deal". No, it's NOT okay, it IS a problem, and sin IS a big deal. I wonder when and why "that's okay" replaced "I forgive you" as the appropriate response to an apology? Is it just a symptom of a culture that lacks personal responsibility?

Oh, and since I forgot to answer the question. I apologize a LOT. Ever since we taught the kids about apologies, they look for reason to ask me to apologize - they find it amusing to see me doing something that they do. I try to use the same pattern and language I expect them to, and when they see Mommy doing something just like they do it, it cracks them up for some reason. My kids are weird. ;)

Edited by SproutMamaK

Yes, I most certainly do. I apologize and ask for forgiveness. I believe the best way to teach that kind of thing is by modeling. It's very very hard, but it's one thing I'm adamant about in my own life. And we do require the children to apologize to each other or DH and me when appropriate. We try to get them to say, "I forgive you" instead of "That's alright." I know sometimes it's just a matter of semantics, but sometimes... it's not all right, but it's still important to forgive.

Yes, I do. I learned from my husband. He rarely does things worth being sorry for...but, when he does, after thinking about it and realizing he genuinely apologizes. It is much harder for me. I don't like to do it. But, I do.

I do not demand my kids apologize...they are more like their father. They apologize as well.

I love that they learned from their father "how" to apologize. It's always with true honesty and they don't repeat mistakes either. They learn from poor choices.

Yes, I apologize when I'm wrong and I expect them to apologize. We say "I'm sorry for X," and I've trained my kids not to answer with something like "that's okay," but "I accept your apology" or "I forgive you." Sometimes, it's asking a lot to forgive immediately.

There have been times when going to my kids and saying "I'm sorry" is the hardest thing to do in my life. But I do it. And when I do, and it's important, I can see a visible change in my children's countenance - they feel happy or relieved that I've admitted to being wrong.

I also have taught the kids to say, "I forgive you" when someone has apologized. Forgiveness isn't easy either! My son says that forgiveness means "the other person still loves you" and it's *very* important to him to be verbally forgiven for wrong-doing.

It's hard for DH and I to perform the same behavior, but teaching it to the kids has helped. DH came to me with an extremely difficult issue a year ago, and knowing not only how to say, "I'm sorry for..." but also to say, "I forgive you" made that interaction much easier than it could have been.

I absolutely apologize when I need to. If I've done something wrong, if I've hurt someone, if I've over reacted, etc. I will absolutely apologize, sometimes through a LOT of tears. I can't remember any other reaction than their accepting it well. It's been a long time since I've had to....... at least to the best of my recollection.

Dh apologizes if he's done something wrong, forgotten something, etc. I always accept his apology and let him know why something upset me, etc.

Kids - not always good at apologizing. I always accept their apology, too, but they don't apologize naturally all the time. :glare: Maybe it's a maturity thing?

Yes, all the time!! We also make sure to acknowledge things someone else has done for us with a "thank you". My husband always says, "Thanks for ironing my shirts" or "Thank you for making dinner, honey." I make sure to thank him for working so hard for us so I can stay home or even, like this morning, "Thanks for emptying the dishwasher." It's really important not to take those you love for granted in anyway. Besides, it's just common courtesy to say "I'm sorry" and "thank you".

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

I do. One of my most unhappy memories of childhood is the lack of apologies from my parents when they were really, really nasty, and the conditional apologies that they grudgingly gave only very occasionally compared to when they should have. So I decided to be different from that, and I am.

It's a habit around here....we're human, we over react or get frustrated too easily, make a mountain out of a mole hill...but if ANY of us do anything to another that jumps outof that considerate mode....then we apologize...80% of the time we're sincere and it helps to have spouse/siblings that understand we're all a work in progress...