Menu

Are you committed to homeschooling?

This is an honest question, not meant to provoke a war or anything like that, please.

I am just curious who is committed to homeschooling all their kids, all the way through. No home-based public education, no "we'll see how it goes, but might send them to school", etc. Basically, I'm wondering who is committed to homeschooling come h*** or high water, lol.

This is not some kind of litmus test. There are no correct answers. It is truly just a question.

If you wouldn't mind, it would be interesting to hear why you are committed, and what your plans are for when you get discouraged. If you have homeschooled all your kids and they are all graduated, what did you do when you felt tempted to quit? Anything you feel like sharing may benefit us all.:)

I'm completely committed to homeschooling. It would take a huge extreme crisis to make me put dd in public school. The schools here are horrid.

I don't really have days that I want to quit. I have days where I just want to skip school and start again tomorrow, but I've never wanted to throw in the towel and quit completely. But, I don't have a dh to contend with, or other kids, so that might be part of the reason why. LOL

We started homeschooling four years ago and had the attitude that we would take it year by year. Now I very much believe that we will homeschool no matter what. DH and I have both commented that we would become radical unschoolers before putting our child in our state's public school system. We do have some nice private schools in the area, but I don't see our son conforming to any of them.

Nope, I suppose. I am committed to whatever my kids need.

We are all over 'Lets find the absolute best stuff for our kids, whatever their needs". Sometimes it's hs, sometimes it's out-sourced, sometimes it's online. Sometimes it's mentors.

We are open to whatever works for our children.

Edited by LibraryLover

Yes, I am committed. I get discouraged... often hahahaha. What keeps me going is a small break in schooling, be it a day or a week if needed. I have had my oldest ds in PS through kindy and for 6 weeks of 1st grade. That alone is all the exposure to public school I could stand. No thank you... we'd rather do without.

Homeschooling offers me the freedom to travel when we want, wake when we want, have sick days when needed. I can choose curric for each individual child, and use what fits their learning styles the best. My kids get to see their family more than they would if they were in a classroom from 8-3 everyday.

I could go on and on... but yes we are commited to homeschooling. I pray I will always have the opportunity to homeschool my children. It's not always fun, but it's always been worth it.

I am. There are those days when I question my commitment (and sanity) but when the day is done I know that I will do it again tomorrow and do so with an honest desire.

I do use the lines, "We take each year as it comes...we re-evaluate each year..." blah, blah, blah but only because it gets some nosy and irritating community members off my back about homeschooling. You know, the ones who are sure I'm ruining my kids. It seems they are comforted and can go on with their days by thinking that at any minute I will "come to my senses" and send the darling boys to public school. :smilielol5:

The reason I began homeschooling is not the same reason I continue to homeschool. For that, I am grateful. I'm grateful for the personal and spiritual growth I've experienced since following God's plan for us and our kids' education.

In the grand scheme of things there are only 12 (very short) years of this adventure and I don't really want to miss a minute of it.

I am committed to finding the best fit for my children's needs be that homeschooling, school at home, college classes during the high school years, or public school.

Should any of my kids need to homeschool through high school, I am committed to doing it. Right now, the best choice for meeting my boy's needs seems to be public school. I cannot see that working for my dd though so my plan is to homeschool until college.

This is an honest question, not meant to provoke a war or anything like that, please.

I am just curious who is committed to homeschooling all their kids, all the way through. No home-based public education, no "we'll see how it goes, but might send them to school", etc. Basically, I'm wondering who is committed to homeschooling come h*** or high water, lol.

This is not some kind of litmus test. There are no correct answers. It is truly just a question.

If you wouldn't mind, it would be interesting to hear why you are committed, and what your plans are for when you get discouraged. If you have homeschooled all your kids and they are all graduated, what did you do when you felt tempted to quit? Anything you feel like sharing may benefit us all.:)

I am. We started homeschooling because the local schools were woefully inadequate. We'll continue to homeschool through high school because the local schools continue to degrade -- from woefully inadequate to egregiously inadequate presently. I shudder to think how much worse it could get in the next 6 years when ds would graduate.

Ok, now that I have had my dinner I can explain my reasons for homeschooling. I feel that the public education system is broken, irreversably broken. I know I can do better. I have been to the end. One of my sons after I graduating from home decided he wanted to go to his Senior year in public school. He wanted the prom thing. So he went, he felt it was a complete waste of time, but he did enjoy the year ( Texas didn't give him a diploma, as he had to attend here all 4 years, or would have had to have accrediation ). So it was completely just by choice.

In his own words, 6 months out of the year was practicing to take the test, that the majority of students had already passed. He spent 6 months filling in little bubbles on practice tests. But he did get to go to prom, and he did get the social end of it.

I homeschool for academic reasons. I never once wanted to quit, I did take days and even weeks off for a break now and then, for sanity sake.

Edited by alatexan68

We are committed. We decided way back in 1997 that this is what we were doing, we have continued doing it through horrible pregnancies, newborn twins, and several unemployments. Even my mil stopped saying, "Well, you never know if you will put the dc back in school..." We will keep doing it until the current toddler graduates high school.

We are committed 100% until DS graduates from high school. I could not imagine him in a public school setting. He would be so bored!

Hey, I needed something to keep my brain active during my retirement years and DS was sent our way to do just that!

Nope, I suppose. I am committed to whatever my kids need.

We are a 'Lets find the absolute best stuff for our kids, for whatever their needs". Sometimes it's hs, sometimes it's out-sourced, sometimes it's online. Sometimes it's mentors.

We are open to whatever works for our children.

:iagree:

We homeschool because it is the best choice for our kids right now. When that changes, we'll reevaluate.

Philosophically? I'm not 100% committed. Close, but not quite. Practically though, I am. I seriously doubt we will ever do anything else. ... But I won't say that there couldn't be circumstances that would cause me to consider another schooling situation.

When my children were in kindergarten I was completely devoted to homeschooling. Two weeks before we were going to start 1st grade for dd and kindergarten for the twins, I was sexually assaulted.

At that point I was so grateful for the public school up the street!!!!! It was enough to take care of the toddler and focus on keeping my family pfysically safe and healing.

Fast forward 3 yrs and we are again very commited to homeschooling...but I have learned that life doesn't always go as planned :)

Here's hoping!

I love homeschooling and can't imagine not doing it. We've graduated one and will continue through with the others unless we have some sort of family crisis that makes it impossible. But, I think my sister would take over for us and then dd, the graduate in paramedic school, would help as well. Our local schools are literally not an option.

But, when the last one has graduated, I wouldn't mind going back to my private school music/science teacher job if it happened to open up! I loved that job.

Faith

I started out thinking that surely, I couldn't mess up kindergarten too badly!

Then, I decided we could do fine until jr. high, but then they would surely go to school.

By the time jr. high arrived, however, I was completely committed to homeschooling and only a huge crisis could have compelled me to send my kids to public or private school. Both my children graduated from our homeschool and then went on to college. One has graduated from college and the other is still in school.

Some days were hard and it was tempting to quit. Referring back to my list of reasons I homeschooled was a huge encouragement during those challenging times.

Anne

Yes, we are committed to homeschool through high school. the public schools can't provide the diverse academics (classical education) I want for ds, we can't afford private school. We'll move at least one or two more times before he graduates and the flexibility we have with homeschooling is great for our family dynamic.

There are plenty of other reasons, one being ds is all over the board grade level wise, I can't imagine trying to pigeonhole him into a grade.

We might outsource a few classes in high school, probably CC depending on where we live, but that's not a certainty.

I'm committed to homeschooling. This is what I believe The Lord wants us to do. That being said, I will do whatever I can do to make it happen and have faith that The Lord will continue to bless us so that I do not have to go to work and we can afford the curric. That is a daily struggle for us.

Lara

I love hs'ing, & I would do *so* much to continue it, but...I guess I hesitate to say that I'm committed to *something.* I hold it dearer than I hold denominational affiliation, for ex, dearer than I hold any career or level of income, but still...I hesitate to say that I'm committed to IT.

I'm committed to my kids, just a *smidge* more than hs'ing. :lol: So I *hope* that if it were ever in their best interest to send them to a public school, private school, college (hehehe), or let dh hs them...I hope I'd be willing to put aside my personal feelings about it.

I'm not promising anything, though. ;) Over the years, I've come to hs for more reasons & to hold them a lot closer, a lot more...well, even illogically, the way we illogically check on our kids in the middle of the night sometimes, to see them breathing, or to wake them up & sneak them out to look at the stars. Hs'ing is no more able to be pulled out of me at this point than I could go in & separate out my parents' dna in an attempt to reject one of them.

Want to know how I *really* feel? :D

Nope--I'm committed to my kids. I can't imagine ever putting them in public school, and I do prefer the WTM approach over any other, but I'm not against virtual academies, outsourcing, or other forms of alternative education if they help me reach my spiritual and academic goals as my kids' teacher. Once the kids get to a certain point, I suspect they won't need me to be directly involved in every aspect of their education. FTR, SWB blogged about using K12 for science in the high school years.

We're totally committed to homeschooling both kids through HS graduation. DS12 is 2E (more like 6E, LOL) and does vastly better at home. We tried both PS and private school; he was failing some subjects, yet was years ahead of his classmates in other subjects, and the sensory/processing/attention issues just added to the mess. DD8 is quite a social butterfly and might prefer to go to a "real" high school, but the schools here are truly horrible (49% graduation rate :eek: ), not to mention the s*x, drugs, gangs, lock-downs, yada yada. I would rather graduate her early and let her start at the state university, even at 15 or 16, than put her in PS here.

Jackie

Nope--I'm committed to my kids. I can't imagine ever putting them in public school, and I do prefer the WTM approach over any other, but I'm not against virtual academies, outsourcing, or other forms of alternative education if they help me reach my spiritual and academic goals as my kids' teacher. Once the kids get to a certain point, I suspect they won't need me to be directly involved in every aspect of their education. FTR, SWB blogged about using K12 for science in the high school years.

:iagree:Committed to what's best for the kids.

I fear the high school years. I spend MORE time on the H.S. board reading and making google docs because those are the years I fear will be very difficult and as a homeschool parent who will definitely be hs'ing at least one in high school I'll be looking for any/all resources, help, online classes, outsourcing locally, etc...

If you have homeschooled all your kids and they are all graduated, what did you do when you felt tempted to quit?

We homeschooled our younger two sons all the way through. Neither we nor our sons ever felt tempted to quit, so I can't answer your question about that. Our sons felt secure and confident about homeschooling because that's the way I felt about it. It has long been my belief that many, if not most, of the doubts that homeschooled students feel about homeschooling are picked up from the doubts of their parents.

No, I'm committed to doing what is best for the educational and emotional needs of my children. That's homeschooling now, and I have high hopes that it will always be homeschooling, but I've learnt to never say never. My kids needs come before my ideologies.

The public school here is not an option. One of my kids has a learning disability and other issues so wouldn't do well in private school. Private school is expensive and the schools are at least 30 minutes round trip both ways each day. So yes, I am very, very committed, God willing. I know it is the best choice for my kids/family and our other options are not good. It is something I feel called to do by God, which helps on the hard days...it also helps not to have any other viable options.:lol:

I haven't read any of the responses, but here's mine:

Clearly I'm not entirely committed since DD will be in private school as long as she wants to go. I will *NOT* send her to the public schools around here since their test scores are horrendous, but the private ones are much better.

DS will stay home as long as he wants, and if that means high school, then so be it. I am committed to that much. As long as he feels that he is learning better in a one-on-one environment, I am here for him. If I can't teach him, there is a great private school that will let homeschoolers attend and pay for high school classes on a class-by-class basis. I suspect he'll pass me in scientific knowledge long before high school, though, so here's to teaching comprehension before then!

We are committed all the way through. I have graduated two and have four to go. We used the cc for dual enrollment the latter part of their high school years, and probably will for the others.

The times I feel like giving up, I just take a deep breath, take a break, go for a walk, and start again the next day.

YES! I have experience with PS with my DS. I really though he wasn't ready for middle school after the 6th grade. He was doing poorly in school, couldn't get his subjects done, had a hard time listening to one teacher, let alone multiple ones in MS. I had meeting after meeting with the teacher and principle and counselors...all of whom thought he would be just fine.....fast forward a few years and he quit school in the 9th grade!!!!!!!!!!!

Same thing with my exstep son. I fought long and hard for him to have the remediation he needed (didn't know a thing about "afterschooling" or I would have done that!) Finally got him in to more of a special ed stream that he needed and they worked at HIS level...long story short, his mom got sick when he was in the 2nd grade and for the next 4 years that was his main focus and his mom and dad FOUGHT!!!! like crazy, not a good life for him. His learning basically stopped in the 2nd grade...fast forward to the 6th grade, I am in his life and his mom passed away. The PS insisted that he work at his grade level, even if he got all F's.:confused: They even said "he has to work at his grade level due to the 'no child left behind'." I screamed "he IS getting left behind!!!!!" anyways...got him into lower classes, lower work and he worked his way up from there and got on the HONOR ROLL!!!!! (his dad and I have now been divorced for over 2 years and the poor kid quit school, has been in Juvenille Detention etc ever since)

I had DD in our church school because I would rather her be illiterate than send her to PS (not really, just saying) but I didn't like the military-like structure of it either so homeschooling is what is best for us. I am sure I will get frustrated, but not nearly as frustrated as the dealings I have had with PS.

sorry, that was rambling a bit....

Edited by misidawnrn
sp

Sure, I am committed and it looks like we are going all the way through. DH and I never wanted them to go back to school, at all, and were always prepared to do what was necessary to make sure they could finish school at home.

There has always been, however, the openness and willingness to change directions IF that seemed like the best thing. Neither dh or I want our kids in the school system but sometimes life does strange things.

I'm... fairly committed?

I'm committed to doing whatever is best for my daughter. That's all I can promise. :D If I ever get to a point when I feel it is best for my daughter to go to school, than I'll find the best school I can find for her. I will decide each year. With that said, I am planning to homeschool all the way through.

Nope, we take it year by year. Infact dd11 has a good chance at a great scholarship at a local, small private school. I am filling out her ap tonight and we will go on a tour tomorrow.

ds15 had been hs'd 5-9th grades. He did a year of public/magnet for 10th. Will do college for 11th-12th (he starts this summer).

Absolutely committed to homeschool. I have graduated 3, working on 4th of my own and committed to homeschooling anyone else's kids I can get my hands on :D. After nearly 20 years I still love learning and teaching and researching. Homeschool is just fun and very much a part of who we are and how we live. I have never been tempted to stop though we have had rough days and weeks and months. It was always about figuring out how to solve the problem and never a desire to throw in the towel. We homeschool for academic reasons and no school around where we live can do as well as we can on our own.

I'm completely committed to homeschooling.

100% agree!

:001_smile:

It is just what we do. Because there are no other options for us, we just keep on keeping on. I love homeschooling and it is hard work. I love being with my children every day and I love teaching them, but it is hard work. It is worth doing because it is worth doing.

Our family is completely committed to homeschooling. We did the public school route with our girls. Our oldest went until 9th grade when she started homeschooling. Our middle went until 6th grade and started homeschooling and the last one has never been to public school. He has no desire and dh is super pleased with the kids education. We have 6 years left with the last one and have already purchased 7th and 8th grade and have things pretty much planned out. Basically we are on a roll. :D