Menu

Where did you meet your spouse???

Just curious because I'm single and going to be 34 :tongue_smilie:.. I think I mentioned on another post I havent even been on a date in like at least 3 yrs .. hmmm.. wow I probably wouldnt even know what to do..

But I really dont go anywhere that often to meet anyone.

I'm not really "looking" , just more curious as to how others met their significant other ;)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Blind date! Mutual friends tried to set us up three separate times before the friend on my end finally told me, "This is it. This is the last time we're going to try to set you up." She was really tired of arranging these meetings only for me to decline every time. I really, really, really didn't want to go on a blind date, especially after I found out they told him that I had a "great personality!" Not that!!! :lol:

Thank God I went. He's just absolutely wonderful. :001_smile:

He still gives me grief about "standing him up" three times. :lol:

Blind date! Mutual friends tried to set us up three separate times before the friend on my end finally told me, "This is it. This is the last time we're going to try to set you up." She was really tired of arranging these meetings only for me to decline every time. I really, really, really didn't want to go on a blind date, especially after I found out they told him that I had a "great personality!" Not that!!! :lol:

Thank God I went. He's just absolutely wonderful. :001_smile:

He still gives me grief about "standing him up" three times. :lol:

Thats so cute!! ;)

I was introduced to dh one day by mutal friends as they talked through a car window for a few minutes. We didn't talk to each other.

A few days/weeks later (I don't remember) we saw each other at a teen's party while the parents were out of town. I was the des driver so I wasn't drinking. Dh saw me and decided he should say "Hi" to avoid being rude. We ended up talking all night long. He asked me on a rafting trip the next day....it was 3 months before we spent a day apart, married 3 years later. We were 18. That was 20yrs ago.

At a church youth diocesan retreat in FL. We dated 5 years (about 1.5 engaged). Coming up on our 25th Anniversary!

My suggestion is meet people thru others you know, or who share your values (like at church or a community club).

Hey! So did I! A church conference. Dh was on staff (he was 28) and I was visiting my sister on the alumni night. I had "graduated" from the conference the year before - when I was 21.

I saw him from across the room and grabbed my sister's arm and told her she HAD to introduce me. He did the same thing to the person next to him. He actually wrote in his journal that night that he had just met the person he was going to marry!! It took me a couple of months of writing letters back and forth (as friends) to realize I was going to marry him.

We started dating long-distance at Christmas time. He asked me to marry him in February. We'd only seen each other three times.

Blind date here, too. His cousin is married to a friend I worked with. They got us together. Our first date was dinner at their house. It was going well until they put in a movie - "The Accused" with Jodie Foster - hey, it was an Academy Award winner. Not a good first date movie. It was so awkward that I am not sure that there would have been a 2nd date if not for overhearing the hubby yell at his wife "Why couldn't you get a comedy?!?!?!" We chuckled at that, which broke the ice.

In Paris- France .

We initially met on a Christian dating website and corresponded for two years before we met . We saw each other one time , then at the second meeting we were married !

God matched me with the best man for me in the world ! :001_smile:

I was 26 and it was the weekend before I flew from California (UCLA) to Illinois (NU) for a PhD program. I was spending the weekend with my former UCLA roommate, Kim, and her housemates Diana and Joe (think Three's Company).

Meanwhile, Joe's old UD roommate, Frank, flew out from Illinois to visit Joe (and Kim and Diana) and see LA.

The following week, after I had moved to the NU dorms and Frank was back in Chicagoland from his vacation, he called and offered to show my Chicago. The rest is history.

BTW - Joe married Kim, too. Roommates married roommates!!!

At my friend's church: I went there to hear her sing a solo and dh was in the choir. It was pretty much "love at first sight" for me. It turned out that dh was the roommate of friend-singing-the-solo's boyfriend, which was how I got to spend more time with him. I asked her to ask him and me to dinner at the same time. She did and that was the beginning, though we didn't actually start dating for about a year.

Met him at our dinner table. I was home for the weekend after just starting college. My dad was teaching at an all-male pastor training college after previously teaching at a parochial high school. My parents had invited a student there for a Labor Day barbecue, since he had been both a high school classmate of mine and a student of my dad's. They told him to bring some of his friends. He brought six or seven friends. I started dating one of the friends and eventually married him.

Erica in OR

in a bar. That was in 1976 and we were college students. I was in a sorority and we had a bash at one of the bars. In walks this college guy. Let me add that I was unsaved at the time. Yes, I was worldly in that sense. Wish I could say that at a young age I came to know Christ as my Lord and Savior, but that is not how it happened.

We dated through college and were married Oct. 1980....that will be 30 years in just a few months.

Shortly after we were married I accepted Jesus Christ into my life!

I would ** NOT ** recommend this scenario as a way to meet your future spouse. Yes, God can take 2 worldly people and bring them into a relationship with Him and thrive in a marriage with Jesus as the center of that marriage, but that is not the norm.

HTH!! Sheryl <><

We met in Kindergarten! Truly we did. He went on to a Catholic elementary and one year of Catholic highschool and then transferred to the new public highschool when we were sophomores. We had a class together as Juniors, starting dating fall of our senior year and have been together ever since. We graduated in 1973 and will be celebrating our 35th wedding anniversay in September. BTWl, our friends from Highschool ( 4 other couples) all have similiar stories, at least the part about dating as Seniors and being married for 35 years. They didn't all meet in Kindergarten.

We met in an Anthropology of Native Americans class. We fell in love the second semester over Anthropology 101, British Lit 1, linguistics and poetry. Of those I think it was the linguistics class that really drew us together because we spent so much time going over flashcards on the material.

I love linguistics.:001_smile:

In Paris- France .

We initially met on a Christian dating website and corresponded for two years before we met . We saw each other one time , then at the second meeting we were married !

God matched me with the best man for me in the world ! :001_smile:

Now that's romantic!

I met my dh at a sports bar on Super Bowl Sunday. I was entertaining clients from out of town. He sent my whole party a round of drinks and later on when I went to the bathroom he was standing outside when I excited, introduced himself and asked me for my phone number. I gave him my business card and the next Monday he sent me flowers. Still, I was tentative so I met him for lunch. One thing led to another, we were engaged nine months later and married six months after that. We just celebrated our 19th anniversary. :D

At McConnell AFB in Kansas. We were both training officers for a ROTC camp that summer. We corresponded after that and saw each other a couple of times. The Air Force moved me near his grad school and six weeks later we were engaged.

Then the Air Force moved me to LA.....he followed me nine months later and we finally married!

I was working at Burger King {ick} and he was the shift supervisor. He had just graduated high school and I had just started my senior year. Both of our dads were in the Army and we were in Germany. He asked me out, 9 months later we were engaged, and 3 months later married and he shipped off to Basic Training. That was almost 21 years ago. :D

I met him in a bar when we were 20/21-ish, where we occasionally both went with mutual friends. But, I really don't suggest doing that at 34 (or even 21 tbh, I just got lucky - or he did :tongue_smilie:), lol!

Same here. I met my husband at a bar/pool hall at 19. He was 21. We got married 3 1/2 years later.

:iagree:that I wouldn't recommend it for a 34 year old.

Dh and I first met in Cairo (neither of us is Egyptian). We were in the same univ there (different departments) and had seen each other around campus. We just happened to get on the same city bus (at completely different stops). Buses there are super-crowded, it's more comfortable to be sitting next to someone you know (even sort of) in that situation, so we ended up sitting together and started talking... some 17 years later here we are.

In the back of an ambulance...

No, really, he was (at that time) a volunteer fireman in one of the areas in my district. I think I was on my [ran out of fingers and toes]th call at stupid-thirty in the morning and he popped in the back just before we transported the patient and asked if I needed anything. [And if you know anything about paramedics, you know that you really shouldn't ask that kind of open-ended question to us...especially after midnight:D] I, obligingly, answered a grande margarita on the rocks with salt. He laughed and that was that.

I went on vacation to stand at a friend's wedding. Another friend's boyfriend worked with my husband, and we were invited to his place for dinner. I took one look at him and my heart skipped a beat. Then I looked around his house at his music and book collection, tasted the dinner he cooked for his friends, and I was completely smitten.

By the time I left to return home a week later we were planning on meeting up for a vacation down south within a couple of months. Within a week of me being back home we'd both decided that would be far too long a wait, and that he should quit his job and move to my province to be with me. The next time I saw him he was carrying some of his belongings to leave behind, and within two months of our meeting we were settled together.

That was 13 years ago this August, and I still can't imagine a better holiday souvenir. :D (Well, other than my daughter, who was a souvenir from our honeymoon elopment. :lol)