Menu

Where did you meet your spouse???

LOL We were both teenagers working at walmart! His friend asked me out for a tuesday and I said I was busy (:ack2:) then future hubby asked me out the next day for that same tuesday and I said yes (:001_tt1:) I had a crush on him for a while but didnt dare say anything:blushing:. So needless to say his friend was upset :001_huh:. Can't get anymore romantic then that. :lol:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Online, way back when in the early days of the web. He had a error on one of his web pages, and, well, I guess I have something about a man who doesn't mind being told that he's wrong, doesn't drive stick because it interferes with his coffee, *and* lives near Powell's. Not necessarily in that order. :tongue_smilie:

Edited to add... I was 29, he was 28. We've been married 12 years and counting.

Edited by nmoira

He was climbing into the window of our neighbor's house and instead of calling the police my mom sent me (a teenage girl) over to investigate. :svengo: You have to love the deep south! My mom offered to feed him and he cut the grass for us that day. :D You have to love a man who cuts the grass for you the first day you meet him. :001_smile:

He was brand new to the Navy, a teenager himself and far from home (he was a Yankee!) so my family adopted him and I have had him every since. This year we will be married 17 years.

Blind Date at a food festival. Set up by my boss (a woman).

But I was only 23. If I were "available" ever again (ha!), I'd be most likely to meet someone at church or a political group or something at this age. Someone with similar values, etc. But I'm too shy to ever want to go that route, even if I were to lose my husband, I think. I'd rather be a hermit in a cottage somewhere, sewing quilts. But who knows. My friends think I'd be lonely. :)

Guest janainaz

I met mine when I was 22 at the meatiest-market nightclub in southern CA - of all places. He was fresh out of Bible college, go figure. He was one of the few guys behaving himself on the dance floor - I got really used to doing the "elbow" dance to keep the predators away.

So, you can meet good guys anywhere.

Lol what memories! My high school boyfriend introduced us near the end of my junior year. He attended another school, so I only saw him now and again, usually in company of the bf..... The bf and I broke up eventually, and that summer future DH and I were on campus at the local junior college together. It was nice to see a familiar face, and we spent the summer hanging out on the wall in front of the cafeteria between classes. By the end of the summer, we were a couple (though it took us a while to figure that out). When we got married, some 6 years later, hsbf stood up at our wedding as a groomsman.

To sum it up: met at 16, friends in college at 17, dating by 18, married at 23.....and Still in Love.

Edited by Debora R

I was in my last semester of university and was taking one senior project class and two 'fun' classes--- one was racquetball and one was Scuba. One of the assistant instructors was good friends with my class 'dive buddy', so we hung out during my check-out dives (it snowed in Panama City, so no diving), and talked for something like eight hours.

Six months later we were married. This was 17 years ago.

My parents met on a blind date---- they are coming up on 44 or 45 years married now.

Love the stories! Making me giggle :lol: and making me sigh... there is hope..;)

I'm liking the stories, too. One thing I learned while going on dives, is that there are more men than women in the sport, so if you do ever feel like 'looking', try something/somewhere where the men outnumber the women. :D

when I was 15 in high school...I annoyed him ;)

We ended up working with special needs kids together (with Clay Aiken, who was FOREVER trying to hook us up, but that's another story), becoming really good friends, and then 2mo before he graduated hs, we started courting.

almost 6 yrs later (boo college! :tongue_smilie:) we got married. We just celebrated our 10 year anniversary (of when we started courting - who wants to start over counting after you've been together 6 years!?!)

The school we went to for high school was having move up for the soon-to-be seventh graders. (at our school high school was 7-12) I moved to the school in seventh grade. He was a sixth grader visiting the school. While we were waiting for the bus that afternoon, another boy who knew both of us pointing at my future husband and said, "See that guy? He is soooo shy. I dare you to go bite him." So I did. Well, I tried to anyway. He got away. He seemed a little put off at first, but a few years later we began dating. For our tenth anniversary he wrote me a book, chronicling our years together. The first chapter was called "Almost Bitten, Still Shy".

We met at our works bowling league. I worked for the branded side of the business while he worked generics (pharmaceutical company) so we had no contact during work hours at all. He asked me out about once every couple months for a year before I said yes. I never really said no, just that I wasn't available (I only went out when my oldest dd was with her dad).

I was 35 and he was 48 when we were married - second marriage for me, first for him.

We both went to summer camp with my (former) church denomination's youth groups. He wasn't from my denomination, but had a lot of friends and decided to join them. I was 18 and the choir director (every year we'd have a camp choir that practiced twice and performed on the last day). He was 24 and came to the choir just to hang out and chat with his friends. I, in an attempt to prove myself as the stern director :lol: told him off and told him that if just wanted to talk over the rest of the choir's singing, he was welcome to do so outside. Erm, maybe not in those words. ;) He came up to me later and apologized, and we got to talking, and I gave him a hug at the end. I was at that point in a pseudo-relationship with someone else. That guy ALSO met another girl at said camp (whom he later also married), and a few weeks later we broke up. One of my friends happened to mention our break up around my now-DH, and his response was, "Kathryn? Oh, she was kinda cute. She gave me a big hug after we talked, I thought that was sweet." My friend went :willy_nilly: and gave him my email addy, and we hit it off.

If you have time for another story.....

Unfortunately, the first time we tried to get together in person afterwards was supposed to be a group date. However, at the last minute, unbeknown to me, everyone but him and one other guy cancelled due to the weather. My friend and I were out shopping and our car broke down (this was before cell phones were popular), so we showed up at the place the group was meeting an hour late. In this case, the "place the group was meeting" was my parent's house. My Dad had heard a bunch of us were going out minigolfing that night and meeting at our home, but we was a little, shall we say, "concerned" when two guys showed up at our house and both told him they were going minigolfing with me that night. :lol: And then they were kind of trapped with him for an hour while they waited for us to show up. My Dad spent the whole time trying to figure out if this was a mix-up, which guy I was interested in, if I would actually intentionally take two guys out on a date with me at once to 'try them both out', etc.

I'm sad I couldn't have observed the hour, it must have been interesting. :lol: In teh end, my Dad decided the other guy was more my type, and was quite surprised when I later told them I was now dating now-DH. His response (in front of DH) was "But what about that other guy?" :lol:

I'm so glad I can look back on this and laugh instead of cry.

DH was from Australia and had moved over to the USA a few months after his mother came here to get married. He had no job, no car, no green card, and no money, and he knew no one and was living with his mom (he turned 21 shortly after he got here). One of my friends worked with a friend of his new stepdad and heard about these bored Aussie boys, so she invited him to come to the mall with us just to hang out. The next day they attended a going-away party for another friend of mine who was headed to Japan for an exchange program, and after that we never looked back.

We got married three months later. I was 18. In hindsight, I was nuts :D

At a church group for young unmarried adults. Our group went to see the movie On Golden Pond. First thing I noticed was his warm smile and dimple. Later in the evening we went out for pizza, and he laughed at a joke. My only thought was how much I would love to grow old with that laugh. I was 21, dh was 23. We married almost 4 yrs. later. We still have special date nights where we watch On Golden Pond.

I met my dh at Whole Foods Market where we were both managers. It was funny, because when I started he was in a serious relationship, as was I. But a mutual friend said there is a guy that works there and I know you guys are going to end up together. I was like okay whatever. Well, a year or so later we started dating and married within the year. Needless to say, she took all the credit at our wedding!

Dh had mutual friends with my fiance :blush:. We met at a small get together and kept *finding* ways to run into each other after that. Ahem. My parents hated the guy I was engaged to and were about to ship me to my cousin's house in Alaska to get me away from him. When I called my mom, upset that I, "was having feelings for someone else" my mom was physically jumping up and down on the other end of the line. She knew the loser was going to be out of my life :D. She could also tell, by the way I was talking about dh, that he was the ONE.

We were married less than a year later and celebrated 16 years last week:001_wub:.

We met in a bar in our early 20's :cheers2:. Where I apparently brushed him off his first two previous attempts to talk to me (which I don't actually remember). We ended up having a mutual close friend who was my roommate at the time and he used that as his in. He always seemed to be visiting that friend as I walked in the house from work or school. I caved and we have been together ever since.

A woman in my church group said,"there's someone I think you should meet..." We were at free country western dance lessons at a bar, and she knew a man who wasn't in the church group, but came with a friend a lot. The first thing future dh said to me was "This is my friend Henry. Want to dance with him?"

It's funny that I was in a church group, because I'm an atheist and always have been. I just wanted to meet a guy who didn't want to hang out in a bar and drink all the time, and who didn't think he was going to get some on the first date. Fortunately for me, dh was an atheist also! Made for each other.

Hey, Lindsay -

This thread made me realize that it has been almost 4 years since I went on a date. I'm 33.

My next thought was "I wouldn't have the time or energy these days." I'm such a granny. :001_smile:

I wonder the same thing ;)

It was 1998 and time for my 10 year high school reunion. It was the first night's activity, which was a meet-and-greet at a local sport's bar. About halfway through the night, I looked over and saw my now dh. I remember thinking, "Wow, Christian turned out cute!"

Anyway, as luck would have it, a good friend of mine was coincidentally sitting next to him at the bar. So, I went over to talk to her ( ;) ). I ended up chatting and hanging out with my future dh most of the evening. We went on our first date a week later.

Funny thing is, we went to school together from 1st to 12th grade, but didn't really hang out in the same crowds. In fact, I went to the reunion with a mental list of a few guys that I was wondering about, and dh was not on the list! :tongue_smilie:

Let's just say that in high school I was in the Orchestra/Journalism/AP Comp. & Lit. crowd and dh was in the crowd that wore the Iron Maiden t-shirts and hung out in the smoking area. (Side note...Can you believe that public schools used to have smoking areas?!?! :001_huh: ) So, after my initial reaction noticing that dh was cute, my immediate second reaction was, "Wow, Christian turned out so straight-laced!" :lol:

On a serious note, dh has been the most wonderful husband and father I could ever imagine. He took in my two children from a previous marriage (ages 3 and 5 at the time), one with severe autism, and raised them and loved them as his own. He is absolutely the kindest, smartest, funniest, sweetest, and most gentle man I have ever known. :001_wub:

So, I have to highly encourage everyone to attend those high school reunions!

In an Auslan night class at uni. Apparently he was checking me out before I really even noticed he existed. :001_huh: Then he asked me to give him a ride home (epileptic so doesn't drive) and I'm such a kind hearted person I agreed to go that far out of my way. A few times I picked my sister up from work on the way and she realised he was after me, but didn't see fit to pass the info on or I'd freak out and run away :lol:

If I was looking now, I'd be looking in the SCA. That's a good place to find knights in armour :)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Hi,

Strangely enough we met on match.com. There was a free 7 day trial & I signed up. He emailed me the first day & I closed my account the next day. We talked for a few months & he finally came to meet me. It was love at first sight! (we had exchanged pictures though, I'm not totally bonkers). We've been married for 10 years now, have 2 kids, and 2 dogs! God works in mysterious ways & I've never been happier or more grateful!:D

Susan

...graduated from high school. Dh & I happened to be in the same Sunday School class. He came over and struck up a converstion with me after church, and pretty soon, he started calling me on the phone and coming to visit me (we lived an hour's drive apart). We were married exactly one year & 10 months after we met, and will celebrate our 30th anniversary next month. :001_smile:

Well, I didn't get married until I was 35.

We met while he was studying linguistics at the University of Arlington in Texas. I was also studying linguistics. We only knew each other for 4 months before we became engaged, and we were married a couple of months later.

It was the best decision I've ever made!

I met him in a bar when we were 20/21-ish, where we occasionally both went with mutual friends. But, I really don't suggest doing that at 34 (or even 21 tbh, I just got lucky - or he did :tongue_smilie:), lol!

Yep - same here.... :rolleyes: (we did have a mutual friend that introduced us, though)