Menu

Do you plan on sending your kids to PS for High school?

Do you plan on sending your kids to public school for high school?

I started homeschooling my son in 2nd grade (we just began 4th grade) and I have no intention of sending him to public school.

My 12 year old daughter just began homeschooling and I plan on keeping her home through high school.

I was just wondering what others plans were. I know on some lists I am part of homeschoolers bash the public schools and then when it comes to high school go running back to the same schools with the same unruly kids and awful teachers they were complaining about.

As homeschool becomes more and more widespread every year, I find more and more resources and more and more reasons to homeschool through high school. Not to mention all the colleges that every year become more receptive to homeschoolers.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sons are adults now, but when they were the ages of your children, no, I did not plan to send them to ps high school. Truthfully, I considered high school to be the icing on the homeschooling cake. And it was. No regrets about homeschooling all the way -- and the older my sons get, the more they mention that they are glad we made that choice.

I started homeschooling when my oldest was in 2nd grade. He'd gone to a Christian School for K and 1, though, not ps. When he was a Junior in Highschool we let him go to a Christian school that we researched thoroughly. He just graduated. Now ds15 is going to go there next year. We weren't planning on that, but because of certain situations, we feel it's best for him to do that. He has no friends left here (we live in a Navy town and people come and go a LOT). There's just nothing for him, and he needs strong positive people/friends. So we decided his chances for a positive and Christian life were way higher by going to theat school that to stay and homeschool, as hard as it will be to let him go!

But we will never send our kids to ps!

No. But I also know that circumstances and plans can change. But if we are at all able to homeschool during those years we will.

:iagree: Same here.

My sons are adults now, but when they were the ages of your children, no, I did not plan to send them to ps high school. Truthfully, I considered high school to be the icing on the homeschooling cake. And it was. No regrets about homeschooling all the way -- and the older my sons get, the more they mention that they are glad we made that choice.

I keep reading comments like these and love it. I have some fears about conquering high school but I'm truly looking forward to the experience.

We homeschooled both of our sons through high school.

The only thing I'd do differently is adding community college courses to their lives as soon as legally possible--age sixteen here. By sixteen, a young man often needs accountability to other adults.

Oh, and we never did a lot of standardized testing...a little more practice there over a few years is good prep for the SAT.

Homeschooling high school is a lot of fun.

My son will be attending the local high school in the fall. He has been enrolled at the junior high for his last semester of 9th grade, which will finish up this Friday. It has been a great experience for him.

I am not capable of teaching the level of math and science that my son desires. He will be moving on to the community college for his junior and senior years of high school, and I believe a full year at the high school will be a good transition for him.

Sure, I've complained about public schools and some of its teachers over the years, but certainly not any more than you'll find homeschoolers here and elsewhere complaining about their children, curriculum, etc. ;)

It was not an easy decision, nor was the result what I would define as 'running back' to the public schools. We evaluated the situation, discussed all of our options and arrived at the decision that made the most sense for our son.

Our younger son is still homeschooled, and he may or may not take the same path as his brother. We will put as much thought and evaluation into his high school education when that time comes.

Mine went to ps up till my oldest reached high school. Then we pulled all three out (starting 9th, 7th, and 5th). I have no regrets. I work in our local hs... so that had been our plan all along... based on what I'd seen.

I guess in hindsight, my ideal age to have pulled each out would have been 7th grade. However, we decided it was all or none at home. This, of course, is based on our local schools... Our elementary schools worked well for our kids.

My kids have thier choice, within reason.

Ds has been home since 5th grade. He just finished 9th grade at a homeschool/public school hybrid. He is going to a public school in our area next year, but only because they have a magnet program for 'science, math, and technology' all together. The have classes for these kids requiring 4 years of AP level math and science, 2 of technology (not just Occupation Ed classes), AP level English and a research class and a submission to a major science fair their senior year. These kids are busy with academics and are definitely the science nerds of the school.

We are in a unique area that has decent schools that have a lot of options other that typical high school. In just one school district, there are 8 magnet schools, like medical arts or legal arts, that are within the high schools. There are 3 school districts here that all but up to each other and the other districts also have special programs. There are 3 different home school/public school hybrids.

I can't say that I will or won't allow my kids to go to highschool each year. I take it a year at a time on that decision. I am allowing ds to go this year, just for the experience and because he will spend most of his day with kids like himself.

I also know that while I can teach the upper level classes that he needs (9th gr but already finished Biology, Span 1, Span 2, Alg 1, Alg 2 and Geometry) it will just be reading a text book, and without any passion. I felt that the teachers who really loved a subject, often showed passion in their upper level classes. I would like for him to have the opportunity to feel that passion, from another person who sees it like he does, and to have someone who can discuss a topic with more knowledge that just a textbook brings to the table.

We plan on Calvin going to (private) school at age 14 and Hobbes at age 11 (so both at the same time). I think that home education has been great for them up to now, but that there are also opportunities that we want to give them at school.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

The plan as of now, is to send them to a non-traditional homeschool school. They can attend one day a week or 4 days a week. I hope that they will also attend a few college courses as well. This school really seems to be the best of both worlds. Their classes start at middle school, so our oldest will try it out in 2 years. I would send them to the local public high school if they wanted, but probably not the middle school.

No.

I'm in the "absolutely not" camp.

I do plan on implementing some community college courses tho.

:iagree:

I don't know about elsewhere, but here, the high school makes the elementary school look like the creme de la creme. I am hoping to have my dss taking flo classes from the local cc in high school, that way they get the higher level classes, without the social pressures they would not be ready for.

Our oldest two were homeschooled all the way through high school. (both now in college) The eldest rejects homeschooling, and insists that he never, ever shall homeschool his own children. The second son thanks me again and again for homeschooling him.

If there were an Orthodox Christian parochial high school for which we could afford the tuition, I would have liked to send my children to such a school.

I do, however, hope to send our youngest for dual-credit classes at the CC when she is old enough. It is a good way for a homeschooled student to ease the jump into college.

We just started to hs this year for K and think about the future. My husband gets very excited about the possibility of hs all the way through! He would take over math and science of course, at some point. But, I also think that I would like to leave it up to my children to choose their high school path. The high school here is very good for top students - so it would really depend on things. Plus, I also wonder about sports. One of my boys is very sporty and I can imagine him really thriving on a sports team. Though, I realize there are traveling teams. It will be an interesting journey!

yup. Each of my kids is different, and year by year through grammar/middle school has been at home vs. homeschool depending both on the needs of the kid and what was (or wasn't) available at the local school. Once in high school I have them take as many Honors or AP classes as possible.

I've JUST managed to get my ex to agree that ds should not go back to "regular" school during the middle school years. I'm not ready to tackle the high school conversation with him!

As for the other kids, I hope to homeschool all the way through (outsourcing the subjects I can't manage). As long as circumstances don't change, that will be what happens. :)

Two of my kids are in PS now, and plan to remain in PS until they are graduated from high school. I would prefer to send them to a private school, but we cannot afford that.

The other two are in HS.

We leave it up to the kids from year to the next. The two PS kids are extroverts and desperately wanted to be in regular school so they could be around other kids. It has worked out well for them.

Mind you, the kids would not have had a choice had we been dissatisfied with what our school system could offer them. I would have preferred to homeschool them, but they were not cooperating at the end, so I expelled them.

Edited by RoughCollie

I expect mine will go to high school. Hopefully, a private school that I know about and have looked into, but it will be expensive, especially once the two olders are both there.

A lot of the reason is because my dh has only grudgingly gone along with homeschooling and through middle school has been more grudging about it. I don't think I can cope with the challenges of homeschooling high school without dh's help and support. As it is, I already have an eggshell-walking feeling whenever I have to get feedback from him regarding any challenge in hsing.

There is a part of me that really wants to continue. I mentally plan what I *would* like to do for high school, if I were doing it. But, unless a miracle happens and dh suddenly begs me to continue and vows support and teamship tackling any challenges, it's not happening.

We originally started out on the fence about public vs home school. The school helped push us into homeschooling. We have since become more confident about our choice to homeschool and intend to continue homeschooling through graduation. I suspect my kids will begin taking some college classes in high school though.

I really can't say. I plan to homeschool through 8th grade unless it becomes impossible for whatever reason, but have not decided about high school. My daughters will be old enough by then to have a say in their education. I would love to do high school--I think it would be a lot of fun--but I'm not prepared to make a decision about it at this time.

You know, my SIL has homeschooled her children since her oldest ds (now 24 and an engineer!) was in 1st grade. Her ds18 just graduated and already has 20 college credits. Her dd16 will be graduating this coming school year and has college credits also and her baby dd15 has taken online college courses and will begin taking college courses at the local college this year. My SIL considers herself dumb, yet God has given her much grace and has blessed her tremendously! Her children begged her to put them in PS, but she stood her ground and eventually they stopped and NOW realize what a blessing it has been to be homeschooled. The dd18 has been told by his professors that his grades and scores are phenomenal. Her dd16 had to recently go to the college dean to get approval to take 4 courses (12credits) and the dean was SOOO impressed with her grades and scores! She gushed over her and encouraged her to going into the Mathematics field. Dd17 was convinced she was not any good at math and hated it, but is now considering this field because she has been told multiple times that her scores in math are awesome!

I don't recommend sending your teenager into the college atmosphere if they are not mature enough for it. Just like in PS, there are some really immature people there that just go for the party atmosphere! Unlike some PS though, professors don't care if you show up to their class or not!

I admire my SIL and look to her for much advice. I just pray that my children are just as blessed. :001_smile:

Adriana

dd7

dd4

dd10mos

Yes, I do plan on sending my oldest. We were not running away from public school when we decided to hs, nor are we "running back" to it. We will evaluate each child as their own person and make decisions as such. My oldest would like to go to ps for high school and we have excellent schools in our area. My dh and I agree that it is the right decision for her. We are too far out to know what the right choice will be for our younger kids.

I actually just mailed in the paperwork for him to start 8th grade in public school in the fall. He is a competitive wrestler and the only real way to compete at high school age is through high school.

His brother, two years younger, will probably want to go to high school as well but that will be his choice. I would not stop him and I also would be glad to homeschool him all the way through.

I plan on homeschooling my youngest until college. Her extracurricular activities are too time-consuming to "waste" time in school.:001_smile:

For right now, my order of preference would be #1- homeschool through high school, #2- private Christian high school, or #3- public high school. Some of it will depend on the child, though. My oldest son is 13, and I can't see him ever wanting to go to public school or doing well there-- he's the sort of kid homeschooling is perfect for. I could see my younger two (8 yos and 6 yod) both wanting to go to school, and doing well there, though my first choice would be to homeschool all three the whole way through. I would much prefer a private Christian school to a public schoo, and would be willing to work hard to make that possible financially.

The only way that I could forsee sending my children to a public school is if our lives changed very dramatically and unexpectedly, and we had a situation where both homeschooling and private school were absolutely impossible. In that case, we'd have no choice but to make p.s. work, and we'd do the best we could with that.

No.

Originally, we thought we might give the dc a choice when they became high school aged, but now we realize that they are way too far ahead academically for our local high school, plus the local high school has been having problems such as all of their honor students and student leaders getting ticketed for showing up drunk for the big dance, etc., so it's just a no go for all of us. They have no interest in spending their time boxed up in a situation where they aren't learning anything new, surrounded for most of the day by people who don't want to be there, just to get the gravy of extracurricular activities. We'll get our extracurriculars through local clubs and organizations, instead. If I had a child who really wanted to be a professional athlete, I might make a different decision, but for us, the trade-off really wouldn't be worth it.

You know, there are really no private high schools around here. There's a teeny Christian one, but you have to sign a SoF that's written to keep scary people like me out. The excellent Catholic HS is an hour away, so most kids don't go there. Around here it's PS or nothing. Luckily the PS's are much better than the high school I went to...

Maybe. Mine's starting 7th grade now and has expressed an interest in going to the local high school when the time comes. She's very into drama and the arts, and our local school has a strong arts program. That's not something I can really do very well for her at home. She'll do fine with the other academic things either way I think. At that level I think she should have some input as to what she does for school, but there will still be an evaluation of the benefits and burdens of both possibilities when the time comes.

It would take circumstances beyond my wildest nightmares for me to send my kids to ps. There is a very good classical school here that might be a possibility, however their math and science course offerings are too limited.

I never did. DS has graduated from Homeschool High School, took several Concurrent Enrollment Classes at the local community college and is now full-time enrolled there - doing fine.

We evaluated the situation, discussed all of our options and arrived at the decision that made the most sense for our son.

Ds will be 8th grade next year. I plan to look at all the options for high school. Here are a few facts:

1. public school here has a 50% graduation rate

2. we are allowed to participate part-time in public school - ds plays on the middle school basketball team

3. private school costs $15,000/yr

4. community college is FREE at 15

5. ds is adamantly opposed to high school

6. I am capable of teaching high school math, maybe high school literature, nothing else

7. ds is not self-motivated and I wouldn't expect him to teach himself

8. I work 30hr/wk from home and I'm tired

9. ds is very extroverted

10. local secular homeschool community for teens is almost non-existent

11. our church has few children and we can't change as dh is the minister

I do plan on looking at all the options, but I suspect that community college and online homeschool classes are in the future, as is an attempt to break into the local religious hs group.

I think about this all the time these days...:tongue_smilie:

WWYD?

Edited by Sue in St Pete

It would take circumstances beyond my wildest nightmares for me to send my kids to ps.

:iagree:

The girls relish our freedom in hs'ing. They have clealy stated that they never want to go back to a brick and mortar school.

I am looking forward to that high school icing on the cake (as a previous posted stated.) We start spreading that icing this fall ;)

No, I homeschooled our eldest through high school, and I will do the same with the younger boys.

I can honestly say barring some horendous thing, I would never send my kids to high school.

That said, there's no need to get upset if you plan to -- this is simply my opinion based on what I want for my kids.