Menu

IRL people you know of old age pregnancy?

JadeOrchidSong

Yes, I have known two women who became pregnant at about 45. 

Of course you don't have to answer, but now I am curious how old you are.    I had my first child at 41 and my second at 42 (just about 2 months before my 43rd birthday).  So I was old at the get-go.  :D   

ETA: Ah, I see you have answered my question, in a way!

I know two women who have gotten pregnant at 47. One was totally shocked. Her youngest child was well into high school. She gave birth to a healthy 11 pound baby.

The other was less shocked. This was her 11th child, and she and her husband were committed to the quiverful movement. She also had a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.

I read things saying that it is almost impossible for women in their later 40s to get pregnant without assistance and with their own eggs. But I know these two women did.

I know a woman who was 50.  She had almost no premenopausal symptoms at all, and also had a child at 46.

Being premenopausal definitely makes it iffy with trying to figure out if you are pregnant or just "off."  I had multiple times in my mid-40's that I definitely felt pregnant (tired, tummy off, heavy-feeling), and I wasn't pregnant.

When I was pregnant I met a pregnant woman who was 45 IIRC. We were both very pregnant and headed via bus to a baseball game so we struck up a conversation. It was her first (and presumably only) baby. I was 22 and it hit me that I'd be younger when my baby was a senior in high school.

I also later made friends with a woman who had her son when she was 46. She'd gotten married at 39 and they had years of infertility issues. Then, she got pregnant by accident.

I think older pregnancies are more common in women who have previously been pregnant.

In my family, 39. Amongst friends and acquaintances, 40. Older than that are stories of people who know someone else, but not that I know personally. Around here, most women seem to be done with their baby having by 36 or so. But, the average marrying age is right around 21 so I'm sure that influences this.

I know someone who was infertile (they tried for decades and wanted a huge family but had only one child, with great difficulty), and then suddenly she had two back-to-back surprise babies!  I don't know her age at the time but it was such that she believed both pregnancies to be menopause at first, and went into real menopause shortly thereafter.

I had a baby 11 days after my 46th birthday.  It was a total shock. I was SURE it was menopause, after all I was having hot flashes. Then I started falling asleep in the afternoon, so it was a "virus". Then I started feeling nauseated, so I thought it was my gall bladder.  I was almost 8 weeks before I figured it out.

I have since met two women who delivered at 46 and 47.  We have a club….you can join. ;)

BTW - our little surprise is an adorable active 16 month old and is only 9 months older than our first grandchild. 

A lady in my first mommy and me group got pregnant naturally at 47. She tried a round of IVF and it failed and then she thought she was going through menopause, but nope, she missed her period because she was pregnant. Baby and mama were quite healthy and fit.

46.  (or was it 48?)

if you are the right age for perimenopause, and don't feel pregnant, wait a few days and test.   if it's negative, and your period still hasn't started wait a few more days.  false negatives are fairly common, so you need to repeat the test until you know for sure you're not.

also -brands vary in sensitivity.   I was so shocked to be pregnant (after years of nothing and was in my 40s), I did lots of reading up on sensitivity of tests, and false positives (rare) and false negatives (common.)

I was 42 with my last. My cycles are still right on schedule at 50+, despite an endometrial ablation, and my GYN always reminds me about birth control. In my case, because of the ablation, actual implantation would be unlikely, but I am still ovulating. If I were you, I might be off to pick up a test kit!

I know two women who have gotten pregnant at 47. One was totally shocked. Her youngest child was well into high school. She gave birth to a healthy 11 pound baby.

The other was less shocked. This was her 11th child, and she and her husband were committed to the quiverful movement. She also had a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.

I read things saying that it is almost impossible for women in their later 40s to get pregnant without assistance and with their own eggs. But I know these two women did.

I was in my 40's.  my oldest was a senior in college - it was a shock to me too.  I didn't believe the test results.

just becasue women in their 40's have a more difficult time conceiving without help doesn't mean they can't. (and why if you don't want to have another, until you haven't had a period for a year, you need to use bc.)  I know a few.  I'm one.  I also know a woman who was told both she and her dh had fertility problems, so they chose to adopt instead.  20 years later (she was around 40), she had a surprise baby girl (which worked out well because she adopted four boys.)

My friend's mom and I got pregnant at the same time- it was my second and her surprise 8th (10+ yrs after her last baby). She was 49! She had a fairly normal pregnancy and a healthy baby boy. :) My dd and her ds will be 10 this spring, thankfully he has a lot of loving older siblings who ease the load of raising a child in your 60s, plus cousins who are near the same age. I know several women who had their youngest babies at 45- all of them were quite fertile to begin with tho- my grandma had twins (my dad!) at 45 (7 kids), dh's grandma had her last baby at 45 (10 kids), and my SIL's mom had her 7th at 45. :) Best of luck!