Menu

Do you like seven layer salad?

saraha

Dh just looked at me out of the literal blue and said “Do you know what we haven’t had in a long time? Seven layer salad.”  
You all, I have made seven layer salad precisely two times in my life, and they were the first and second times he had it.

🤔

• Haha 11

The one I made had

• iceberg lettuce
  • cheese
  • hard boiled eggs
  • peas
  • tomatoes
  • green onions
  • bacon and dressing

but I am open to new ideas! I told him I would make one tomorrow as I didn’t have all the stuff 

I just thought it was weird since the way he said it sounded like I made it all the time 😆

Edited by saraha
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, saraha said:

The one I made had

• iceberg lettuce
  • cheese
  • hard boiled eggs
  • peas
  • tomatoes
  • green onions
  • bacon and dressing

but I am open to new ideas! I told him I would make one tomorrow as I didn’t have all the stuff 

This is how I've had it. I've only ever experienced it at potlucks.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, regentrude said:

To answer the questions in the title: based on your list of ingredients,  my answer is no.

Never made, and now never will.

I've never heard of it before now, but I'm not interested in it either based on this thread. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

I've heard of it, but it's not what I thought it was. I've heard of a layered bean, salsa, guac, cheese, sour cream (and I'm forgetting a few layers!) version. 

Mexican layered dip! Making this tomorrow for the SB. 

The sc/mayo mixture has taco seasoning in it. Other layers are finely chopped tomatoes, finely chopped green onions/cilantro. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

I've heard of it, but it's not what I thought it was. I've heard of a layered bean, salsa, guac, cheese, sour cream (and I'm forgetting a few layers!) version. 

This is what I was thinking of too. It is yummy! But maybe it is a dip and not a salad? 

• Like 5

I have had the salad. It’s ok. The best one I had had a mixture of greens (no iceberg) and some additional veggies in the greens - cucumbers and red onion for sure. The dressing was homemade ranch and very good. I think of this as a summer dish for a potluck or gathering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

that sounds so much better! 

• Like 2

Not that one; I hate peas beyond all reason, and hard boiled eggs even more.

What I think of as 7 layer dip, though, is the Mexican one, and I like that a lot, except when I make it (which is rarely) I make 6 layers by skipping the olives, which are iffy with the kids in our circle.  Mine has taco seasoned ground beef, beans, sour cream, guacamole, chopped tomatoes or cucumbers, and salsa.  Wait, no, the chopped veggies are a sub if I don’t have salsa.  That last layer was actually chopped green onions.  I’ve seen it with corn chips on top, but that strikes me as weird, and then you can’t really reheat it.

I have another bean dip that I like even better now, though, so I haven’t made 6-7 layer in a long time.  Mine new one is mostly Mexican beans, grated cheeses, and mild canned diced jalapeños.  It’s good hot, room temp, or cool from the fridge, and it freezes well.  It doubles as a vegetarian tamale filling.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 3

Love it. I had not made it in years, until this past year. I served it for a ladies luncheon, and again at a pot luck. Everyone loved it . My daughter asked for leftovers after my luncheon. Layers can be whatever you want them to be. If you don’t like peas, use peppers, etc. 

Clearly , I am from an older generation.

Edited by KatieJ
  • Like 1

My mom made it regularly for holidays when I was a kid. I’ve made it a couple of times for my family, but it makes such a large amount that my little family can’t eat it all. 
My mom’s did not have boiled eggs or tomato in it. It was similar to this https://www.mymilitarysavings.com/recipes/salads/seven-layer-salad

Years ago,I found the exact recipe on the Kraft foods website, but that company and website has gone through many changes over the years, and I can’t find it now.

• Like 1

7 layer salad is the one with lettuce etc listed above.

7 layer dip is the Mexican style witg guac and salsa.

My boyfriend’s family makes the salad for big events like Thanksgiving. Im not a fan, but it is mainly because they use mayo for the dressing, 🤢and I don’t want salad when there are so many more delicious things to eat. 

• Like 2

Wow that’s a blast from the past. Haven’t seen one in 20 years! But I remember it being a potluck staple back then. 

I wouldn’t mind it today if it used romaine/spring mix instead of iceberg, nitrate free bacon and some other dressing (something homemade with minimal ingredients, maybe a yogurt and garlic sort of thing - or like a homemade tzatziki - which I know wouldn’t taste like ranch). At 6 decades in business, my gut has reached the stage of selective agreement. 

But there I go, making an entirely different salad, like when my MIL changes all the ingredients for something and still tells everyone, “Oh that’s Grace’s recipe!” No ma’am, that’s all yours now. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, saraha said:

The one I made had

• iceberg lettuce
  • cheese
  • hard boiled eggs
  • peas
  • tomatoes
  • green onions
  • bacon and dressing

I just thought it was weird since the way he said it sounded like I made it all the time 😆

That’s the one! I’ll come over!

I also like the layered dip!

• Like 1

My family loves it.  Our version is lettuce, chopped celery, (the recipe calls for chopped onion but we don't add it), and a can of sliced water chestnuts.

Then- 2 c mayo mixed with 1/2 c sugar- spread over the layers.  Then continue with

parmesan cheese, crisp chopped bacon, sliced hard boiled eggs, and sliced tomatoes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tina said:

Then- 2 c mayo mixed with 1/2 c sugar- spread over the layers. 

Wow.  That's a lot of sugar.

My favourite creamy dressing is half mayo half plain natural yoghurt, with salt, pepper and chopped scallions or pureed garlic. 

• Like 2

Nobody in my family makes that. I could see changing some of the ingredients to make it more interesting to me.

I've done a Mexican salad with tomatoes, black beans, lettuce, cucumbers, guacamole, and tortilla chips (so I guess a 6-layer salad). That I like.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tina said:

My family loves it.  Our version is lettuce, chopped celery, (the recipe calls for chopped onion but we don't add it), and a can of sliced water chestnuts.

Then- 2 c mayo mixed with 1/2 c sugar- spread over the layers.  Then continue with

parmesan cheese, crisp chopped bacon, sliced hard boiled eggs, and sliced tomatoes.

2 CUPS of mayonnaise????? For one head of lettuce? 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Wow.  That's a lot of sugar.

For the recipe I linked, which is typical for our part of the country, there is half that amount of sugar but cut by the saltiness of the parmesan. It's actually really good and it makes a HUGE bowl of salad. It's a holiday thing, not an everyday thing when you make it like that. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PeterPan said:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14295/seven-layer-salad/  This is how we make 7 layer salad. No eggs, bleh. The parmesan dressing is essential. 

This salad is made for holidays, very special. We also do broccoli salad, wilted spinach salad, etc. 

I love seven layer salad. I’ve only made it twice, but I eat it whenever it is brought to something. I might make a small version to try that dressing! I also like the salad dh’s aunt makes that has taco meat, Doritos and Catalina dressing. I’ve made it a couple of times, but it always tastes better when she makes it.

1 minute ago, saraha said:

I love seven layer salad. I’ve only made it twice, but I eat it whenever it is brought to something. I might make a small version to try that dressing! I also like the salad dh’s aunt makes that has taco meat, Doritos and Catalina dressing. I’ve made it a couple of times, but it always tastes better when she makes it.

Yeah these are all different salads. Taco salad is fine and yeah with the catalina dressing. There's actually a dressing I like slightly better for it. It's still red, but it's called Country French I think, sort of the upscale of the kraft catalina. Yup it's Ken's Country French. 

• Like 1

This is a blast from the past.  My mom used to make this regularly when entertaining.  I have never made it.  When I was a kid I didn't like it.  And I love salads and am not super picky about salad ingredients.  I have favorites, but can eat just about anything in a salad.  But hers just straight up had a bunch of mayo in it.  I am NOT a fan of mayo.  Feels like a pointless and tasteless condiment to me.  🤣  With good dressing, I could see it.  

• Like 1

I’m kinda snickering that this ‘salad’ has more fat than veg, but I do appreciate a guilty pleasure that’s a crowd pleaser. For me it’s Paula Deen’s Not Yo Mama’s Banana Pudding. It’s so rich I only make it when I have a crowd to share it with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I’m kinda snickering that this ‘salad’ has more fat than veg,

At least it didn't have jello. 🤣 My grandmother's "salad" could be cool whip, jello, apples, any number of things, the random stalk of finely chopped celery as the token vegetable to call it a SALAD.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, catz said:

This is a blast from the past.  My mom used to make this regularly when entertaining.  I have never made it.  When I was a kid I didn't like it.  And I love salads and am not super picky about salad ingredients.  I have favorites, but can eat just about anything in a salad.  But hers just straight up had a bunch of mayo in it.  I am NOT a fan of mayo.  Feels like a pointless and tasteless condiment to me.  🤣  With good dressing, I could see it.  

I’ll own up to being a fan of mayonnaise-based salads:  tuna, chicken, curried chicken, potato, macaroni, coleslaw, etc. I just don’t like when anyone uses Duke’s. ::ducks:: A little Duke’s is okay on a sandwich, but it tastes way too strong for salads. I like to taste more than just the mayonnaise. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

I’ve heard of it, I’ve had it, and I don’t like it.😆 Not the peas, not the onions, not the iceberg—basically nothing in it makes up a good salad for me. 

Did the version you had have the parmesan? The version op posted sounds totally gross to me but the version with parm is awesome. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

. I just don’t like when anyone uses Duke’s

I know Paula Deen uses this avidly but I've never had it. We used miracle whip growing up because it was what we could afford. We even put it on tacos, which I now realize is because we didn't have sour cream, oh my. Now I buy the Kraft real mayo, which is fine. I suppose I should buy bottles and line them up to taste test, lol. Maybe ATK has done that for us?

Oh yuck, google says they like Hellman's. I bought that one time and it ruins recipes, yuck, yuck. Taste of Home says Heinz Real, and yeah it's fine. I should compare the Heinz and Kraft head to head. I switched from Heinz because my mother was buying Kraft. For broccoli salad, the mayo really matters. For 7 layer, not so much.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

I know Paula Deen uses this avidly but I've never had it. We used miracle whip growing up because it was what we could afford. Now I buy the Kraft real mayo, which is fine. I suppose I should buy bottles and line them up to taste test, lol. Maybe ATK has done that for us?

It tastes like mayonnaise concentrate. If you’re using mayo for flavor, you can use much less, but if you’re using it to bind chicken salad it’s just too strong. I bought it ONCE and never went back.  So many people rave about it I felt compelled to try it.  I buy Hellmans or Kraft. Occasionally I make it but that’s maybe 3% of the time. 

• Like 2

Oh my gosh. I was just talking about this to someone. My mother used to make it all the time. It was her potluck dish. My little brother LOVED it. It was one of his favorite things when he was little. And then he got the flu and it just happened to be the last thing he ate. So. The thing that happens with the flu happened to the seven layer salad. And he spent the never several... ages... talking about how evil the salad was. And then she never made it again. That was circa like 1990. He was probably 7 years old or something. No more seven layer salad.

I never liked it, so I was not sorry to see it go.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1