Menu

Carnivore vs vegetarian …

Ann.without.an.e

I definitely could not eat only meat.  I would miss butter, egg, cheese if I tried vegan but it would be much better than all meat.  

I don’t know where your parents are their ideas.  Have you asked them?

I do think a lot of our food supply is contaminated in one way or another……but all meat plus sugar? No. Just no. 

• Like 3

Just now, Scarlett said:

I don’t know where your parents are their ideas.  Have you asked them?

oh I know where …

YouTube 

They are major conspiracy theorists who watch loads and loads of YouTube. I guess their new conspiracy is that vegetables were created to kill us  🤣

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

If I had to choose between only meat or no meat? Hands down, without a doubt, I’d choose no meat. I feel terrible when I eat too much meat and I don’t think it’s healthy to have so little diet variety. 

My dad was sitting at lunch on Monday telling me that vegetables are bad for me and carcinogenic. Then he and mom started questioning “where did broccoli even come from? It wasn’t existent when I was a kid?? Who made it, maybe it was introduced to try to kill us?” Oh and he drank like 2-3 glasses of sweet tea while telling me this. Do y’all know how high in sugar southern sweet tea is????? Y’all…. I just can’t.

What about you? If you had to choose one or the other and commit to it 100% forever. Which one?

I vent here so I can keep my mouth mostly shut with them 🤣

That's a deadly diet your parents follow. The lack of plants means their gut microbiomes are trashed, which means their immune systems are impaired. And then the meat consumption puts them at higher risk of all kinds of bad things like cancer, heart disease, dementia, diabetes, autoimmune disease. Scary combination.

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 6

I've been mostly vegetarian for over 35 years, so definitely no meat for me. But I can't imagine why anyone would ever want a meat only diet. How utterly boring would that be? There's such a vast range of vegetarian foods that one wouldn't get bored.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Selkie said:

That's a deadly diet your parents follow. The lack of plants means their gut microbiomes are trashed, which means their immune systems are impaired. And then the meat consumption puts them at higher risk of all kinds of bad things like cancer, heart disease, dementia, diabetes, autoimmune disease. Scary combination.

It is horrible, especially for my dad who has already had a heart attack. It is driving me crazy. 

• Sad 9

2 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I was vegetarian for around 30 years and started eating chicken a few years ago. I feel much healthier and several issues have gone away. I wouldn't want either, I much prefer a balance.

Me too 😊 I prefer the variety too. I am allergic to beef but I eat other meat in small amounts. I focus on veggies and healthy grains and meat is a much smaller portion of my diet than the standard American way. 

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 3

No meat. I'd miss it but the alternative would make me ill. Surely it will start making them feel atrocious soon? I hope so. I hope they feel poorly before it affects their health so they have time to make changes.

Maybe you could leave articles for them? Or maybe find a YouTube channel for diet that they might like? Maybe something that isn't meat vs. veggies angle but maybe healthy aging - or strength/flexibility as you age?

I'm sorry. That would drive me absolutely nuts too.

• Like 1

If those were the only choices, I’d choose no meat for sure, but as a auto-immune diabetic who is not on insulin and needs to eat very low carb, I am very happy as an omnivore. I am happy to support local farmers, purchasing veggies, some fruit, milk, eggs, pork, beef, chicken, and lamb from local beyond organic farmers. I an happy to have a wide variety of food options. Grains in significant portions are seriously unhelpful for me. I can do small portions of legumes and root/starchy veggies. 

Sorry you have such crazy people to deal with! 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 9

No meat.  I was a vegetarian for awhile as a kid.  I could live off of veggies, nuts, and rice.  Maybe once in a while I would want a burger, but it isn't something that I crave.  I haven't had a meatless burger in a million years maybe they taste great by now?

• Like 1

If I had to choose, I would choose vegetarian. But like @MEmama, I was vegetarian for a long, long time and finally introducing some meat made a big difference in my health. So my preference would be mostly vegetarian, small amounts of meat here and there, with eggs, fish, and very limited dairy.

• Like 5

I like meat, but I couldn't do only that. I have heard of this diet--a woman I am familiar with online lost a lot of weight by doing it. I don't know if she only did it for a time period, or if she continues to eat that way. It sounds terribly unhealthy to me. I have been reducing our meat consumption, for both grocery costs and health, but we keep some meat in our diets (mostly chicken, some fish, eggs, and occasionally beef--I know they are not all technically considered "meat").

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

If I had to choose between only meat or no meat? Hands down, without a doubt, I’d choose no meat. I feel terrible when I eat too much meat and I don’t think it’s healthy to have so little diet variety. 

My dad was sitting at lunch on Monday telling me that vegetables are bad for me and carcinogenic. Then he and mom started questioning “where did broccoli even come from? It wasn’t existent when I was a kid?? Who made it, maybe it was introduced to try to kill us?” Oh and he drank like 2-3 glasses of sweet tea while telling me this. Do y’all know how high in sugar southern sweet tea is????? Y’all…. I just can’t.

What about you? If you had to choose one or the other and commit to it 100% forever. Which one?

I vent here so I can keep my mouth mostly shut with them 🤣

Of course fruits and vegetables aren’t carcinogens (naturally occurring carcinogens found in plants probably have a negligible impact on humans), and we should eat them, lots of them:)

However, there is something to be said about hybrid food vs non hybrid food. Although plants cross pollinate naturally, creating a “hybrid”, this is not the same as man-made hybrids. Corn is a man-made hybrid. Seedless fruits and veggies are man-made hybrids. These are unhealthy because the genetic composition is altered, and the food is not the same, if you will, as a natural hybrid/non-hybrid plant. We haven’t eaten seedless fruits in years. Perhaps, this is what your parents are referring to in regards to broccoli? Yes, some fruits and veggies are “new” (via man-made hybridization).

Non organic fruits and vegetables are bad for humans to eat. GMO’s are very bad for people and the environment, and none of those things are made for the greater health and well-being of humanity. 

Your parents aren’t off completely. It just depends on what fruits and vegetables you eat. It would behoove all to stay away from man-made foods, probably, although that may not be completely feasible, understandably. Foods that are closest to nature are always best (ie ancient grains).

But if I had to choose…fruit and veg:)

Edited by ArteHaus

20 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

No meat.  I was a vegetarian for awhile as a kid.  I could live off of veggies, nuts, and rice.  Maybe once in a while I would want a burger, but it isn't something that I crave.  I haven't had a meatless burger in a million years maybe they taste great by now?

They don't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, MercyA said:

YES. Beyond Burgers are AMAZING. 

Just now, Ann.without.an.e said:

Beyond Burgers are pretty darn good. I don't like to eat processed faux meat so I rarely eat them but they are pretty good if you're really craving something burger-like. 

So many people say this and I really went into it with an open mind but it was just meh to me. Add that to the fact that it is highly processed and I'd rather just eat less beef and indulge in a burger maybe once or twice a year.

If I didn't eat meat at all I'd still stay away from fake meat products, they just aren't appealing to me

• Like 5

I pick the meat option. 

I have tried vegetarian and although I love grains & cheeses, I could never eat vegetables again and be perfectly happy (and that mostly left me on a grain & cheese diet which was NOT healthy for me so even though it fits under the vegetarian name I will not count it).

I have tried eating more veggies as part of eating low carb diets as well-- still blech! 

I do not love meat the way some people do so I haven't tried a carnivore (meat only) option but I have eaten only meat + dairy and eggs + dairy as short term dieting strategies (several weeks) and had no problem. 

There was that guy Vilhjalmur Stefansson who ate only meat to prove to people that it could be done and was done regularly by the Inuit at that time.  Plus there is a whole subset of people eating carnivore on social media and I've seen citations of studies that support eating that way  (although I did not care enough to take note of them).

Today I lean carnivore vs. 20 years ago when I was leaning vegetarian (although I don't actually eat more meat just less grains and other starchy items).   I would advocate for people eating what works for their body as the best choice.

• Like 2

Its a false dichotomy.  Just because one person's body doesn't handle meat, doesn't mean that all have that issue  Just because one person (like me) has trouble with my blood sugars when I eat only vegetarian or vegan, doesn't mean that all have the same issue.  (I do best with a Mediterranean diet with some meat but I'm not going to tell everyone to eat that way).  Obviously the arguments they used to defend what they are doing are spurious but it's their own body and they get to decide what to put in it.  And they should allow you the same grace. 

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Its a false dichotomy.  Just because one person's body doesn't handle meat, doesn't mean that all have that issue  Just because one person (like me) has trouble with my blood sugars when I eat only vegetarian or vegan, doesn't mean that all have the same issue.  (I do best with a Mediterranean diet with some meat but I'm not going to tell everyone to eat that way).  Obviously the arguments they used to defend what they are doing are spurious but it's their own body and they get to decide what to put in it.  And they should allow you the same grace. 

This.  Totally false dichotomy.  I feel best when I eat as an omnivore ... higher protein, lots of veggies, lower carbs and low glycemic index foods.  I'm so happy that our CSA is producing lots of tasty greens right now, many I've never even heard of.  Who knew that pea shoots were so delicious?!

I have friends who do best eating vegan and others who do better with more carbs.  

@Ann.without.an.e  It sounds like a "pass the bean dip" situation with the parents, but they'd probably object to that, too! 😄

• Like 6

Looking at the OP -- this isn't really a carnivore vs vegetarian question anyway--  anyone drinking sweet tea is probably more of a "meat and potatoes" type person vs a carnivore.   IMO "meat and potatoes" diet is very often just as bad as my "high starch" vegetarian diet.  I know many people from my parents generation who are "meat and potatoes" only (in my DH's family, canned green beans and peas were pretty much the only vegetables served)-- this is similar IMO (although opposite in regards to meat) to my "high starch" version of vegetarianism -- both do not actually contain very many vegetables or fruit.    

• Like 2

Just now, LaughingCat said:

Looking at the OP -- this isn't really a carnivore vs vegetarian question anyway--  anyone drinking sweet tea is probably more of a "meat and potatoes" type person vs a carnivore.   IMO "meat and potatoes" diet is very often just as bad as my "high starch" vegetarian diet.  I know many people from my parents generation who are "meat and potatoes" only (in my DH's family, canned green beans and peas were pretty much the only vegetables served)-- this is similar IMO (although opposite in regards to meat) to my "high starch" version of vegetarianism -- both do not actually contain very many vegetables or fruit.    

No, they don't eat potatoes. Potatoes are bad. It is just that my dad gives in for a few things he can't do without. So it is meat and sweet tea and loads of ice cream. Meat and potatoes would be far far healthier than that in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

4 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

No, they don't eat potatoes. Potatoes are bad. It is just that my dad gives in for a few things he can't do without. So it is meat and sweet tea and loads of ice cream. Meat and potatoes would be far far healthier than that in my opinion. 

It stinks because not only is he going to suffer the consequences of his terrible diet, but so are you, or whoever has to help care for him when his health declines. We’ve BTDT with some of our family members. It made dh and me determined to live healthfully and not make bad decisions that result in us being a burden to our kids.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

If I had to choose, I would choose vegetarian. But like @MEmama, I was vegetarian for a long, long time and finally introducing some meat made a big difference in my health. So my preference would be mostly vegetarian, small amounts of meat here and there, with eggs, fish, and very limited dairy.

This is what we are doing. Some meatless meals, small amounts of fish and chicken here and there, definitely eggs, and only occasional beef. Much lower carbon footprint. But unfortunately, I tried vegetarian and then vegan twice. Due to some issues I have, it did not go well, and our best friends (Doctors without Borders MD's) were NOT amused with me. So I behave myself. However, the more variety of veggies and legumes I manage to get into our diets, the better so feel. So we are able to minimize that animal product consumption a whole bunch. I think we might eventually just be able to do eggs, dairy, and fish but not mammals and birds. Like tonight, beef loving DH is desperate for some beef. So I am doing 3 oz of ground sirloin with all the yummy spices, and we split that as sprinkling on our tacos, but the vast majority of the meal consists of my spiced refried beans, fajita veggies, and some donuts cheese with a little Greek yogurt, then topped with black beans and shredded lettuce. It comes out to about five servings of legumes and vegetables a piece, and less than a serving of beef each. Next time I make it, no beef.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Selkie said:

It stinks because not only is he going to suffer the consequences of his terrible diet, but so are you, or whoever has to help care for him when his health declines. We’ve BTDT with some of our family members. It made dh and me determined to live healthfully and not make bad decisions that result in us being a burden to our kids.

This! I 100% agree with this. My mother in law has bad kidneys functioning at only 32%. She REFUSES to follow a renal diet even though she used to be a nurse and nursing instructor. Sigh. We finally told her that if she ends up on dialysis, she will have to hire drivers for her appointments, and whatever in home help she will need to manage it. If she can't manage it, she had to go to a nursing home. It is one thing to make an effort and still end up in bad shape. Genetics are a real b#tch. It is quite another to say you will eat all the bacon, fast food, salty lunch meats, and high potassium foods, and look your son straight in the eye and say you don't give a crap and expect him to take care of you. Nope. We can have boundaries too. Same woman refuses to give up her morning grapefruit. She takes her BP meds, and then eats a grapefruit. She knows she isn't supposed to do that either, and then always wonders why her BP stays eternally high. 

Not playing these games. Mark and I are trying hard to be healthier, more active, treat issues now so we don't lose mobility, anything to keep us from burdening our kids if at all possible. Many times we can't avoid it. But we are determined to try. We want to be like the folks we met at Lake Michigan Recreation two years ago who were the camp hosts. 81 and 83 years old, driving around, seeing the country by being camp hosts in National Forests and Parks, cleaning bathrooms, changing out reservation tags, hosting campers for cinnamon rolls, assisting rangers, and hosting little nature programs for the kids. These are the people we hope to emulate.

Again though, many many folks have overwhelming health problems that prevent them from being healthy as they age. I get that. We aren't judgy normally, just UBER frustrated with his mother.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

This! I 100% agree with this. My mother in law has bad kidneys functioning at only 32%. She REFUSES to follow a renal diet even though she used to be a nurse and nursing instructor. Sigh. We finally told her that if she ends up on dialysis, she will have to hire drivers for her appointments, and whatever in home help she will need to manage it. If she can't manage it, she had to go to a nursing home. It is one thing to make an effort and still end up in bad shape. Genetics are a real b#tch. It is quite another to say you will eat all the bacon, fast food, salty lunch meats, and high potassium foods, and look your son straight in the eye and say you don't give a crap and expect him to take care of you. Nope. We can have boundaries too. Same woman refuses to give up her morning grapefruit. She takes her BP meds, and then eats a grapefruit. She knows she isn't supposed to do that either, and then always wonders why her BP stays eternally high. 

Not playing these games. Mark and I are trying hard to be healthier, more active, treat issues now so we don't lose mobility, anything to keep us from burdening our kids if at all possible. Many times we can't avoid it. But we are determined to try. We want to be like the folks we met at Lake Michigan Recreation two years ago who were the camp hosts. 81 and 83 years old, driving around, seeing the country by being camp hosts in National Forests and Parks, cleaning bathrooms, changing out reservation tags, hosting campers for cinnamon rolls, assisting rangers, and hosting little nature programs for the kids. These are the people we hope to emulate.

Again though, many many folks have overwhelming health problems that prevent them from being healthy as they age. I get that. We aren't judgy normally, just UBER frustrated with his mother.

Yes, I agree with this.  It's frustrating to see people make choices that you can see hurting them before your eyes.  And it's ok to set boundaries as a result. 

• Like 4

No meat for sure. I tried Carnivore but it is not for me. I like intermittent fasting - it's easy, effective, and no strict limits. You can find more info about it here https://betterme.world/articles/intermittent-fasting-exercise/. This kind of nutrition basically has no side effects but it would be better to consult a doctor first.

Edited by Froste
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hjffkj said:

So many people say this and I really went into it with an open mind but it was just meh to me. Add that to the fact that it is highly processed and I'd rather just eat less beef and indulge in a burger maybe once or twice a year.

If I didn't eat meat at all I'd still stay away from fake meat products, they just aren't appealing to me

And a lot of the fake meat is made with coconut oil, not to mention wheat and sesame and soy, all big allergens. Plus massive amounts of sodium.  DS won't touch the new ones because they are so greasy and meh (Beyond Meat or something?). Healthy they are not, if that's the aim. 

• Like 4

Thank you, @Ann.without.an.e for your kindness to your parents.  I hope my kids will be kind and gentle with me when I'm elderly and say thoughtless things. (I'm trying to set a habit now, preemptively, for gratitude and for just rolling with things, that last one being new to me. 😁)

I'd have a hard time picking no meat, but even harder with no veggies.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

And a lot of the fake meat is made with coconut oil, not to mention wheat and sesame and soy, all big allergens. Plus massive amounts of sodium.  DS won't touch the new ones because they are so greasy and meh (Beyond Meat or something?). Healthy they are not, if that's the aim. 

Beyond and Impossible are meant to appeal to people who are used to the taste of meat, but want to move away from meat consumption and the associated health risks and environmental and ethical problems. Their products provide convenience and a bit of familiarity for those who are new to plant based eating and aren't ready to jump into more of a whole food plant based lifestyle.

Luckily, there are many brands of veggie burgers that are quite healthy and readily available in most grocery stores. For instance, the Actual Veggies burgers - just picking one of their burgers at random, the ingredients of their Actual Purple Burger are beet, carrot, white bean, oat, yellow onion, chickpea flour, cannellini bean, white quinoa, red onion, lemon, spice blend (ovata seed, kosher salt, garlic powder, thyme leaf, black pepper).

https://actualveggies.com

• Like 2

I think even weirder than his carnivore diet is the weird belief in vegetables being carcinogenic and a tool of the libs.  I mean, broccoli isn’t natural; it was bred from a wild mustard (I think?) plant, but it wasn’t a tool of the libs to poison people.  

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I think even weirder than his carnivore diet is the weird belief in vegetables being carcinogenic and a tool of the libs.  I mean, broccoli isn’t natural; it was bred from a wild mustard (I think?) plant, but it wasn’t a tool of the libs to poison people.  

The appeal of conspiracies is apparently very strong for some people. I suppose they get some kind of thrill (or something) from believing they know something others don't.

• Like 5

Broccoli, especially broccoli sprouts, are potently anti-carcinogenic. I’d be curious what their source is claiming broccoli is carcinogenic.

It’s odd but some people have experienced improvements in their health problems while eating a carnivore diet for a period of time. You can find articles online explaining the theories. However, it seems your parents are using what they’ve read or seen as an excuse to eat a lot of meat.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Broccoli, especially broccoli sprouts, are potently anti-carcinogenic. I’d be curious what their source is claiming broccoli is carcinogenic.

I'm pretty sure their source is Paul Saladino, who wrote The Carnivore Code. There are lots of YouTube videos of interviews with him, and in addition to claiming that ALL plants are toxic to humans, he often specifically singles out broccoli for being full of dangerous chemicals.

His whole schtick is based on the myth that Paleolithic humans ate nothing but meat, berries, and occasional honey (which is completely false — most hunter/gatherer groups, both now and in the past, relied heavily on plants, including starchy tubers and grain-like seeds). For a long time Saladino claimed that his own diet consisted of nothing but meat, berries, and a little honey, but I saw a recent interview where he admitted adding 100g/day of white rice — he justified the white rice by saying it had most of the phytochemicals stripped out, so it was less toxic, lol. I suspect that, like most of the folks who make millions off books and videos about extreme diets, he probably consumes other stuff when no one is looking. (Like the bodybuilder who called himself The Liver King, who attributed his physique to a diet of nothing but meat and raw liver but who was recently outed for taking huge amounts of steroids.)

ETA: Like most diet book authors, Saladino sells supplements — in his case, that's freeze-dried organ meats/offal, so people can just pop a few pills along with their factory-farmed supermarket meat, in order to replicate what cavemen were supposedly eating 100K years ago. /s

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Oh yeah.  Love that Southern sweet tea.  I used to make it occasionally.  And I made it strong with lots of sugar.  But I can't do that anymore.  It makes me feel so bad the next day.  Yikes! 

I'd have to go with the veggies.  Next to caffeine, dairy makes me feel the worst.  Then, lastly, most meat makes me feel bad.  There are a few kinds of meat I might could eat, but I really don't miss meat.  Or dairy.  

What I sometimes miss is desserts.  A really really well-made dessert is so satisfying to me.  But it's almost impossible to find, so I would have to make it myself, and I don't have any interest in doing that much anymore.  I might make a vegan dessert every now and then though.  We'll see ...

I have come to believe over the years that individuals really need to research and experiment for themselves to find out what kinds of foods make them feel best.  There are so many variables at play in this area - including exercise.  And, to top it all off, it seems to change as we age.  At least, that's what I'm finding at 67yo.

Good luck with your parents.  😉

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I've been mostly vegetarian for over 35 years, so definitely no meat for me. But I can't imagine why anyone would ever want a meat only diet. How utterly boring would that be? There's such a vast range of vegetarian foods that one wouldn't get bored.

I also find it pretty unimaginable, but I do know someone who has done it for health reasons. He’s lost a huge amount of weight, and many health issues have resolved. He looks significantly healthier as well. He has issues with processing many kinds of vegetables and carbs I think.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I'm pretty sure their source is Paul Saladino, who wrote The Carnivore Code. There are lots of YouTube videos of interviews with him, and in addition to claiming that ALL plants are toxic to humans, he often specifically singles out broccoli for being full of dangerous chemicals.

His whole schtick is based on the myth that Paleolithic humans ate nothing but meat, berries, and occasional honey (which is completely false — most hunter/gatherer groups, both now and in the past, relied heavily on plants, including starchy tubers and grain-like seeds). For a long time Saladino claimed that his own diet consisted of nothing but meat, berries, and a little honey, but I saw a recent interview where he admitted adding 100g/day of white rice — he justified the white rice by saying it had most of the phytochemicals stripped out, so it was less toxic, lol. I suspect that, like most of the folks who make millions off books and videos about extreme diets, he probably consumes other stuff when no one is looking. (Like the bodybuilder who called himself The Liver King, who attributed his physique to a diet of nothing but meat and raw liver but who was recently outed for taking huge amounts of steroids.)

Just looked Saladino up. It must be him. I’ll take Jed Fahey’s research any day over Saladino’s claims about veggies, especially broccoli. Yikes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

Everything is a tool of the libs, don't you know??

The day the twins were supposed to get vaccinated, I got 3 different reels on why vaccines are bad. 

And covid was never real, even though they each lost a parent to it. Go figure. 

56 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

It’s odd but some people have experienced improvements in their health problems while eating a carnivore diet for a period of time. You can find articles online explaining the theories. However, it seems your parents are using what they’ve read or seen as an excuse to eat a lot of meat.

I have no doubt that some people have seen improvements to their health with certain diets. I definitely think that all bodies are different. I don't have a problem with someone choosing such a diet. But you aren't going to get the health benefits if you eat all the meat plus the sugar plus the ice cream. That isn't how it works. And please, stop sending me YouTube links about it daily. 🤣 The other thing that bothers me is it is ALL they talk about. And my mom is so dramatic. She has been to my house so many times, eating something that is sweet and going on and on about how she doesn't eat sugar anymore, boy is she going to feel this!, she hasn't eaten sugar in soooo long. The things is, I heard the same spiel two days ago and a week ago and anytime we're together. She's eating more than she thinks she's eating and I'm just counting what she is eating in front of me lol

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

She has been to my house so many times, eating something that is sweet and going on and on about how she doesn't eat sugar anymore, boy is she going to feel this!, she hasn't eaten sugar in soooo long. The things is, I heard the same spiel two days ago and a week ago and anytime we're together. She's eating more than she thinks she's eating and I'm just counting what she is eating in front of me lol

Is she having memory issues? Someone who I volunteer with for many months started having memory issues and kept asking us who regularly volunteered with her the same questions and forgets what she has told us already. She forgot our names, forgot that we have done certain tasks many times, things like that. 

As for meat only or vegetables only, I need my seafood and red meat for health reasons. I can give up on red meat but would need  seafood and that would cost a lot more than relying mainly on pork (heme iron, protein).

• Like 3

I could live the rest of my life without meat, no problem.  Lucky for me,  I enjoy various other sources of protein.  If I had to eat only meat, that would be very difficult, as I don't love many preparations of meat, and I get a very full feeling after a small amount of any meat.

I have a friend who really really likes meat and hates vegetables.  She thought it was a great idea to go on a meat-only diet (Atkins-ish?).  And it was great for a few days.  After maybe a week of eating her favorite kebabs daily, she said she never wanted to see a kebab again for the rest of her life.  😛

My kid who has a very limited palate struggles.  Part of her wants to cut out all meat because of the idea of eating an animal.  The other part of her can't do it, because she despises most other "good" sources of protein - she won't touch eggs, beans, or nuts for starters.  She's lactose intolerant (does eat some milk products, but always pays after).  She also happens to despise almost all vegetables, so ... I don't see a meatless lifestyle in her near future.

• Like 2