Menu

Saying goodbye to my cat on Friday morning. Updated first post: Thank you all so much

Kanin

Well... the time has finally come. She's 18, the love of my life. She's been my constant companion for the past 13 years, since we adopted her when she was five. The only thing that makes this okay is that I hope she doesn't know what's going to happen.

The vet is being so kind. We're going in right when they open at 8. The room has a special door that opens to the outside, so we don't have to walk through the waiting room. We don't have to pay the bill that day.

💔

Updated: Thank you all so much for your kind words and hugs. It's really quite amazing to me that everyone cares so much. Anyway, it went as well as it possibly could. It actually wasn't as scary as I was anticipating. It was definitely sad... but it wasn't impossible, like I thought it might be. The vet tech was AMAZING, so kind, so compassionate, calm. So was the vet. It might sound crazy, but the whole time we were there (maybe 45 minutes), it felt like we were honoring Maggie's life and giving her some extra love at the end. They truly treated her and us like we were the most important family in the world. 

The house feels so empty without four paws and meows. I also don't know what to do with my time - over the last few months I was spending so much time thinking about her, preparing food that might tempt her, petting, talking, worrying... all the things. What to do now?? Not sure how soon is too soon to get another cat to love, but I think I'll be ready sooner than later. Maggie was my second cat, but our first one left us shortly after getting him, so she was the first that's been a longtime companion. I don't think I ever want to be without a cat again. 

Thank you all again! You've been a big part of why this has been bearable. 

Edited by Kanin
  • Sad 38

I am so sorry. Having to do this with our dog (12) and cat (only 7) within a short amount of time honestly made us a bit gun-shy on having pets at all. I still have the sister of the cat we had to euthanize but no plans to add more pets. 

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

I’m so very sorry.  Are there any foods or activities she particularly enjoys that you could do with her tomorrow and take lots of pictures?  

I have a billion pictures. I don't know if I want too many now because she's looking skinny and has no energy. I did take a few. What I wish is that I had taken videos over the years... current pet owners, you may want to do that starting now.

She's not into food or doing anything at the moment. I did get her to eat some bacon.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I have a billion pictures. I don't know if I want too many now because she's looking skinny and has no energy. I did take a few. What I wish is that I had taken videos over the years... current pet owners, you may want to do that starting now.

She's not into food or doing anything at the moment. I did get her to eat some bacon.

I take paw prints in ink and some fur clippings. I put the fur in a mini tin (altoids minis). My vet does prints in a self hardening clay, too but those make me sad bc I know they are done after death.

• Like 2

• Kanin changed the title to Saying goodbye to my cat on Friday morning. Updated first post: Thank you all so much

It sounds like you and she had the best possible final hour together.  More hugs.

It took me about a year after my most beloved feline to be ready for new kittens, and my kids had to talk me into it.  That said, I know many people who are ready right away.  You'll know.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Eos said:

It took me about a year after my most beloved feline to be ready for new kittens, and my kids had to talk me into it.  That said, I know many people who are ready right away.  You'll know.

I agree.  Everyone is so different.

I'm glad the vet's office made it as easy as possible.  It will definitely be a big adjustment at home now without your dear Maggie  - you lost part of your family.  Sending hugs.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Kassia said:

I agree.  Everyone is so different.

I'm glad the vet's office made it as easy as possible.  It will definitely be a big adjustment at home now without your dear Maggie  - you lost part of your family.  Sending hugs.  

I also agree that you'll know. It's been about 4 years since we put my dog to sleep and I'm just now, within the last 6 months or so, ready for another. But I also had other 4 pawed critters that offer me the love and comfort a pet brings and I think that might have kept me from looking for another canine companion. So yes, whenever it is, sooner or later you'll know and you'll be ready. Hugs to you all!

When we had to put our last 2 pets to sleep, it was an emergency so we needed to go to an emergency vet, besides our vet being closed because one was Christmas Eve (and night to boot) and the other was New Year's Eve. What surprised me was the caring from them, as well. The vet who put our dog to sleep was in tears herself. You know that being an emergency vet office that this must me a daily and quite possibly and multiple times a day thing for them but yet they were kind, thoughtful, and compassionate. I couldn't be more thankful to them. I'm thankful to all vets, yours especially right now, for being such good people.

• Like 2