Menu

Well, I finally got Covid.

Scarlett

I dodged it for three years even with our son who lives here  having it.  I spent a couple of hours with my boss on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon he tested positive. I had a trip planned to Houston with my best friend to go to my nieces baby shower.  I decided not to go to Houston just in case.  But my friend had just gotten over Covid like 2 weeks earlier and she decided to risk it because she has a bunch of crisis stuff going on and she really wanted me to come see her.  We stayed in one of her sisters Airbnb cabins and isolated from everyone the entire weekend.  Last night in the middle of the night I knew I had fever and sure enough tested positive this morning.

I had a 2 1/2 hour drive home this morning and it was not pleasant. Sure glad I wasn’t 10 hours away in Houston.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 39

5 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I dodged it for three years even with our son who lives here  having it.  I spent a couple of hours with my boss on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon he tested positive. I had a trip planned to Houston with my best friend to go to my nieces baby shower.  I decided not to go to Houston just in case.  But my friend had just gotten over Covid like 2 weeks earlier and she decided to risk it because she has a bunch of crisis stuff going on and she really wanted me to come see her.  We stayed in one of her sisters Airbnb cabins and isolated from everyone the entire weekend.  Last night in the middle of the night I knew I had fever and sure enough tested positive this morning.

I had a 2 1/2 hour drive home this morning and it was not pleasant. Sure glad I wasn’t 10 hours away in Houston.

I'm sorry, Scarlett!  Get better soon.   Good for you 3 years!  DH and I went 2 1/2 years to last July when we got it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

I'm sorry -- I know very few people now who haven't had it...  My dh is one of them. 

DH and I haven't had it and neither have my neighbors.  But we rarely go anywhere so we're pretty low risk.  Same with our neighbors.  

• Like 1

So can anyone indulge me obsessing about Covid?  

Here is my timeline—-

Spent Tuesday morning for maybe an hour with my boss and his daughter.  Then he left and she and I were together until about 2.  Wednesday I was at his house alone—-he stopped by to pay me and did not come in because he said he felt feverish.  A few hours later he texted me and said he was positive.  So I went home and Dh and I were together Wednesday evening and Thursday morning.…slept in the same bed. Then he went to his moms and I went to my friends house.  My symptoms came on  Saturday…I tested positive Sunday morning.  We both came home yesterday. Dh got home late….like 11.  He slept in guest room.  He has zero symptoms.  

Dh tested negative yesterday afternoon. (His sisters were freaking out) .  How much longer before you felt really confident Dh is safe from my exposure?

Question   two…..do you think I am going to feel up to driving on Sunday, 5 hours  one way to meet my new brother?

16 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

How much longer before you felt really confident Dh is safe from my exposure?

I would still feel vigilant for about ten days, but if he had a negative PCR on day 5, I’d be feeling optimistic that he had avoided it. 

17 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Question   two…..do you think I am going to feel up to driving on Sunday, 5 hours  one way to meet my new brother?

I think it’s impossible to say, but you might be feeling okay by then. Chances are smaller that you will no longer be contagious though. I would certainly rapid test before going and stay home if positive. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KSera said:

I would still feel vigilant for about ten days, but if he had a negative PCR on day 5, I’d be feeling optimistic that he had avoided it. 

I think it’s impossible to say, but you might be feeling okay by then. Chances are smaller that you will no longer be contagious though. I would certainly rapid test before going and stay home if positive. 

Ten days MORE? Or ten days from his last contact with me?

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Ten days MORE? Or ten days from his last contact with me?

I can only speak from experience. DS1 tested positive 5 days after DS2. DH and I never tested positive. I would be cautiously optimistic that he avoided it, but would continue to isolate from him. 

If it were me, I would not expose your new brother and his family to this on Sunday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I can only speak from experience. DS1 tested positive 5 days after DS2. DH and I never tested positive. I would be cautiously optimistic that he avoided it, but would continue to isolate from him. 

If it were me, I would not expose your new brother and his family to this on Sunday.

I agree it is not likely a good idea to go….but I just want to be sure I understand. When Ds2 tested positive had ds1 been in contact with him  both before and after that positive test of ds2

DH and DD never caught it from me, even though I'm sure they were pretty thoroughly exposed. I was symptomatic for almost a week before I had a positive test. My three negative tests convinced me it was just a cold, and although I stayed mostly in my room, I didn't start masking in common areas of the house until I got the positive.

All of that to say that your DH may very well avoid it! 

Hope your fever is down today. Your temp is about the same mine was.

Edited by MercyA
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I agree it is not likely a good idea to go….but I just want to be sure I understand. When Ds2 tested positive had ds1 been in contact with him  both before and after that positive test of ds2

We were all around DS2 before he tested positive. We isolated him after his test. I was the only around him after that and I was masked until DS1 tested positive and they isolated together. DS1 started a scratchy throat and tested positive 5 days later, but was negative 3 days later. DS2 was positive for over 12 days. Who knows with this crazy virus.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

So can anyone indulge me obsessing about Covid?  

Here is my timeline—-

Spent Tuesday morning for maybe an hour with my boss and his daughter.  Then he left and she and I were together until about 2.  Wednesday I was at his house alone—-he stopped by to pay me and did not come in because he said he felt feverish.  A few hours later he texted me and said he was positive.  So I went home and Dh and I were together Wednesday evening and Thursday morning.…slept in the same bed. Then he went to his moms and I went to my friends house.  My symptoms came on  Saturday…I tested positive Sunday morning.  We both came home yesterday. Dh got home late….like 11.  He slept in guest room.  He has zero symptoms.  

Dh tested negative yesterday afternoon. (His sisters were freaking out) .  How much longer before you felt really confident Dh is safe from my exposure?

I'm sorry you're sick! My guess is that if DH is going to get it, he'll be showing symptoms or testing positive by tomorrow. 

For you - I think everyone is so different with how Covid presents. My uncle (elderly) was up and about on day 4 feeling fine and antsy. When he tested negative on day 6, he was out doing all of his normal things (masked). I never had any symptoms except for lack of smell, so I was good to go. DH was down and out and in bed for almost 5 days. I have another friend who couldn't catch a full breath for weeks after. 

I'll cross my fingers that you'll be back to normal by day 5 and you test negative then too!

• Thanks 1

DD was still testing positive 10 days after symptom onset and a week after her first positive test. I didn't bother retesting after a week because I still had mild symptoms (and I didn't need to go anywhere), but I suspect I would have still tested positive at 7 days as well.

I would talk to your brother and sister and see how they want to handle things. If they're OK with possibly canceling at the last minute if you're still positive on Saturday, then you can wait and see, but they may prefer to just reschedule to be extra safe. Your brother may have vulnerable people he needs to protect, so I definitely wouldn't just go on Sunday without (1) full resolution of symptoms and (2) two negative tests in a row using the throat-&-nose swabbing technique.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

DD was still testing positive 10 days after symptom onset and a week after her first positive test. I didn't bother retesting after a week because I still had mild symptoms (and I didn't need to go anywhere), but I suspect I would have still tested positive at 7 days as well.

I would talk to your brother and sister and see how they want to handle things. If they're OK with possibly canceling at the last minute if you're still positive on Saturday, then you can wait and see, but they may prefer to just reschedule to be extra safe. Your brother may have vulnerable people he needs to protect, so I definitely wouldn't just go on Sunday without (1) full resolution of symptoms and (2) two negative tests in a row using the throat-&-nose swabbing technique.

I am leaning heavily toward thinking it is a bad idea to even think of going.  My sister is going to go regardless but oh well.  She  is annoyed that I cancelled on her this past weekend…..it was a baby shower for niece with 50 expected . Even after I told her I was positive she acted like I should have come anyway.  SMH.  I just told her I was glad I did not have a 10 hour drive home as sick as I was Sunday morning.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I am leaning heavily toward thinking it is a bad idea to even think of going.  My sister is going to go regardless but oh well.  She  is annoyed that I cancelled on her this past weekend…..it was a baby shower for niece with 50 expected . Even after I told her I was positive she acted like I should have come anyway.  SMH.  I just told her I was glad I did not have a 10 hour drive home as sick as I was Sunday morning.  

How are you feeling now?  Covid or some other ailment, it is good not to spread germs, so you did the right thing! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

How are you feeling now?  Covid or some other ailment, it is good not to spread germs, so you did the right thing! 

Thank you!  She also said, ‘ <niece> wasn’t worried. It is like the common cold now. Pandemic is over’.   I replied, ‘um this doesn’t feel like a cold to me, but regardless I am glad I did not expose a roomful of unsuspecting people’ 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Thank you!  She also said, ‘ <niece> wasn’t worried. It is like the common cold now. Pandemic is over’.   I replied, ‘um this doesn’t feel like a cold to me, but regardless I am glad I did not expose a roomful of unsuspecting people’ 

Scarlett, thank you for being responsible with your health. Not everyone wants to be exposed to illness, and especially not to a new pathogen that is still a mystery in so many ways.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Y’all. Dh found a bunch of expired tests. We both took one for kicks.  Mine read positive within one minute! Crazy!  Dh is negative still. 

They may not be expired @Scarlett. Most test expiration dates have been extended once or more. You can check but even if not I would trust them. Feel better soon! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Pregnant people should avoid covid!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I did a video call with my doc this morning and he is calling meds in for me.  He said my low fever is normal….if I had high fever (over 102) it would mean I also had a bacterial infection.  

He also told me to isolate for another 7 days or if I had to go out and my symptoms are gone to mask up well. 

Trip to meet new brother this weekend is off.  My sister is so peeved at me. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️  New brother called……he is a Covid believer and fully vaccinated etc.  

• Like 5