Menu

What would you have done, do you think?

El...

I had a weird experience yesterday, and I'm happy with how I handled it, but the reaction I got was surprising to me. So I thought I'd poll my internet acquaintances! 

If you were in a big museum in a big city, with plenty of people in it, and you saw a small suitcase tucked, mostly hidden, between chairs with no owner near it, how would you respond?

Would you find a security guard? Would you leave it alone and not worry? Would you grab your kids and leave the area immediately? Would you call out to the people in the room, "Whose bag is this?" Would your mind go to danger, or not really, these days? 

5 minutes ago, pinball said:

If a security guard was within sight, I’d tell her immediately.

otherwise, I’d tell my family to leave area and loudly say…”there is an unattended bag…is it anyone’s? I’m going to get security”

and then get security 

Quoting myself to add…my family would not listen to me and probably not leave and be saying…mom? Mom? What are you doing?

so when the bomb goes off, hopefully, we’d all die together 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I would tell security and would probably leave. I doubt I would make an announcement to the entire room; I'd expect security to do that. Most likely there is an innocent explanation - but I would report it. "If you see something, say something."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

I would tell a security guard, but I don't think I would have suspected something suspicious. 

I was going to say this - I'd tell a security guard but assume a careless person like me left it sitting there. I'm constantly leaving things places. I'd continue to visit the museum. 

2 minutes ago, EKS said:

I probably would not have even noticed it.

But then I saw this response, and realized this was my true response, lol. I'm not observant enough to notice anything. I tried to get in the wrong car yesterday leaving the grocery store!!!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, 73349 said:

The larger and better-known the museum, the more concerned I'd be. I'd alert a security guard and bring my family to a different part of the building.

This is true. I'd be way more concerned in one of the Smithsonian museums or MOMA or something than in a random museum pretty much anywhere else. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

This is true. I'd be way more concerned in one of the Smithsonian museums or MOMA or something than in a random museum pretty much anywhere else. 

It was one of the Smithsonian buildings, yes. 

• Like 1

I would probably have never noticed it in the first place, because I'm about as observant as a rock. If I did notice it, I'm not sure what I would do. At first I thought I'd let security know, but really, probably not. My small town Mid-Western upbringing would  not make me suspect anything other than someone left it there so they didn't need to carry it around. Then again, if I did notify someone it would be because I figured someone forgot it. So, not sure I'd notify security, but maybe just an employee hanging around.

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, El... said:

It was one of the Smithsonian buildings, yes. 

If I noticed I’d tell security. Seeing it’s the Smithsonian, don’t they check bags and have metal detectors to get in?  That would at least make me feel more at ease, though after telling security we’d probably leave the area. 

• Like 3

I had a government job in a government building and they drilled into us, “If you leave a bag or briefcase anywhere, we will pick it up, take it to a field, and blow it up. Don’t leave your stuff around. If you see a bag or briefcase somewhere, let security know. We will pick it up, take it to a field, and blow it up.” 

It was drilled into us, so I probably would have told security. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I was going to say this - I'd tell a security guard but assume a careless person like me left it sitting there. I'm constantly leaving things places. I'd continue to visit the museum. 

But then I saw this response, and realized this was my true response, lol. I'm not observant enough to notice anything. I tried to get in the wrong car yesterday leaving the grocery store!!!

This- I'm really not observant, but if I had noticed it, I'd let security know because I'd worry someone had left their wallet in there and would need their bag back. (I'm also apparently too trusting - I think I've been in Vermont too long)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would tell a security guard. I can’t imagine someone being so naive as to just innocently leave a bag tucked away like that in this day and age. (I mean, I could imagine it but there’s no excuse for it and protocol is to report it for a reason.). 

Explosive diarrhea would be a good excuse. 

• Like 4

Tell security and make a decision based on security’s response. If security knows that it is supposed to be there, carry on with the visit. If security is not already aware of it, probably notify the rest of my group/family and go enjoy a different area of the museum. The members of my family tend to enjoy different parts of museums at different places, so we would likely be separated. 

It might be an explosive, but it could also be props for an environmental activist. But it could also be actual museum supplies.

Curious what reaction you actually got that surprised you. 

• Like 4

I'm another one who is generally oblivious so probably wouldn't even notice but if I did, I think I'd tell security. 

But, we were just at the Museum of Natural History in NYC a few weeks ago and they have metal detectors and checked bags when we went in, so I probably wouldn't be as worried as I might be otherwise.  

• Like 2

I was between my kid sitting near the suitcase and one in the bathroom, so I couldn't walk away. The bag was between two armchairs and almost concealed. There were no staff in the room. It was a fairly small gallery, so I asked the room, twice, "Whose suitcase is this?" 

On my second call, a woman about 15 feet down the gallery answered, "It's mine." I smiled and said, "Oh, good! I was worried it might be an unattended bag." And then she told me, loudly and repeatedly, that it "irritates" her when people "react like that." She told me that the world isn't "like that," that "they" want me to be afraid, and I should stop being afraid. I said, "Well, that's one way to look at it." 

She came toward me, repeated herself several times, told me I needed to learn this, and spoke loudly. She was slightly older than me, but not my mother's age. She was dressed as a tourist, and was wearing a political ball cap.

There were metal detectors, but the guards weren't putting everyone through them, just profiling. And I don't think there were lockers available. 

Thrre were 6 or 8 other people in the room, mostly middle aged and mostly women. They looked up briefly, then averted their eyes from her reaction. 

I'm a military veteran with training in trying to prevent bad things from happening. I deployed after 2001. It was in a museum gallery about native American military service. My brain did indeed go right to "Oh crap." I was mentally preparing to help evacuate that building very, very quickly.  I was experiencing adrenaline. I don't look like anyone important, though...I'm just a middle aged mom with kids and a little bit of extra body mass. 🙃 I smiled and worked on disengaging.

I asked my thoughtful 11yo ds what he thought afterward, and he said I did fine and was respectful. (That's his standard of right behavior, apparently.)

I was surprised that she took offense at my concern. I didn't ask whom she meant by "they." 

All ended well enough; my kid came out of the bathroom and we left. I'm still thinking about the gap between my perception of the world and hers, though.

• Like 21
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 9

6 minutes ago, El... said:

I was between my kid sitting near the suitcase and one in the bathroom, so I couldn't walk away. The bag was between two armchairs and almost concealed. There were no staff in the room. It was a fairly small gallery, so I asked the room, twice, "Whose suitcase is this?" 

On my second call, a woman about 15 feet down the gallery answered, "It's mine." I smiled and said, "Oh, good! I was worried it might be an unattended bag." And then she told me, loudly and repeatedly, that it "irritates" her when people "react like that." She told me that the world isn't "like that," that "they" want me to be afraid, and I should stop being afraid. I said, "Well, that's one way to look at it." 

She came toward me, repeated herself several times, told me I needed to learn this, and spoke loudly. She was slightly older than me, but not my mother's age. She was dressed as a tourist, and was wearing a political ball cap.

There were metal detectors, but the guards weren't putting everyone through them, just profiling. And I don't think there were lockers available. 

Thrre were 6 or 8 other people in the room, mostly middle aged and mostly women. They looked up briefly, then averted their eyes from her reaction. 

I'm a military veteran with training in trying to prevent bad things from happening. I deployed after 2001. It was in a museum gallery about native American military service. My brain did indeed go right to "Oh crap." I was mentally preparing to help evacuate that building very, very quickly.  I was experiencing adrenaline. I don't look like anyone important, though...I'm just a middle aged mom with kids and a little bit of extra body mass. 🙃 I smiled and worked on disengaging.

I asked my thoughtful 11yo ds what he thought afterward, and he said I did fine and was respectful. (That's his standard of right behavior, apparently.)

I was surprised that she took offense at my concern. I didn't ask whom she meant by "they." 

All ended well enough; my kid came out of the bathroom and we left. I'm still thinking about the gap between my perception of the world and hers, though.

I think you handled it very well. Good job!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

You handled it very well, and once the lady starting being grumpy about it, you definitely handled it better than I would have.  Kudos to you for keeping your cool,when all you were trying to do was be helpful.  See something, say something has been a mantra for years!   
In addition, for all you knew someone had  forgotten it and if you hadn’t mentioned it, someone might have stolen it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, El... said:

As you know from your training, and perhaps from personal experience, situational awareness is an important safety tool. I would have expected her to reply with something indicated that she had a reason for leaving it (most likely a physical need), but it feels more like she is a provocateur.  I think you handled her well. 

If this had just played out in my family, I think I'd mull it over and, later, have a talk with my kids about people not always deserving respect. I have experienced in myself and seen that many women (and children!) default to respect, kindness and not wanting to hurt people, or to hurt them the least amount possible. It has taken me two dangerous situations to learn that full-on Bear Mode is appropriate, and having it too deeply buried can cost me time and options. I think this is especially important training for kids -- society deeply ingrains deference into kids.

• Like 13

Just now, Halftime Hope said:

As you know from your training, and perhaps from personal experience, situational awareness is an important safety tool. I would have expected her to reply with something indicated that she had a reason for leaving it (most likely a physical need), but it feels more like she is a provocateur.  I think you handled her well. 

If this had just played out in my family, I think I'd mull it over and, later, have a talk with my kids about people not always deserving respect. I have experienced in myself and seen that many women (and children!) default to respect, kindness and not wanting to hurt people, or to hurt them the least amount possible. It has taken me two dangerous situations to learn that full-on Bear Mode is appropriate, and having it too deeply buried can cost me time and options. I think this is especially important training for kids -- society deeply ingrains deference into kids.

Yes. I'm thinking about that for DS11.  Respect isn't the moral standard in a dangerous situation. I'm going to discuss that nuance with him.

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:
29 minutes ago, El... said:

As you know from your training, and perhaps from personal experience, situational awareness is an important safety tool. I would have expected her to reply with something indicated that she had a reason for leaving it (most likely a physical need), but it feels more like she is a provocateur.  I think you handled her well

I think the other lady was embarrassed about having been called out and went on the defense.  She probably didn't think about how leaving the bag would look and felt attacked, and attacked back. Not saying her reaction was correct... Just thinking about how I might feel if called out (or felt I had been called out) for this action.

• Like 1

My first thought would go to someone trying to reenact the Thomas Crown Affair 😄 so I would have told security.

Plus, I'm just forgetful sometimes, and I would have thought maybe the person forgot they were traveling with it.  A museum isn't exactly a place where I usually bring a suitcase and walking off without it is absolutely something I might do - and then remember 20 minutes later.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Wow. I would have figured she's say, "thank you! I almost forgot it" or "Oh, sorry, it's heavy and I wanted to set it down for a minute." To go on the attack is obnoxious. 

Yeah, her reaction really reads like she WANTED to cause panic/ drama.  

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, her reaction really reads like she WANTED to cause panic/ drama.  

Yes, or it’s a political stunt. I can imagine people with fringe ideology doing that intentionally as backlash against the “see something, say something” thing. 

But I’m on Team Better Safe Than Sorry. It’s not that I think every unattended bag is nefarious, but *sometimes* they are; no reason to pretend like it couldn’t possibly be a bomb or other bad actor. 

• Like 15

We were in Paris twice and impacted by similar situations. First time, the entire metro system was shut down for an abandoned suitcase. It ended up being harmless, tourist had accidentally left it behind. But they take abandoned bags quite seriously over there. Another trip, there was an abandoned bag near one of their museums we were at and same protocol. Total shutdown and evacuation of the area. I would think the Smithsonian would react similarly. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Quill said:

Yes, or it’s a political stunt. I can imagine people with fringe ideology doing that intentionally as backlash against the “see something, say something” thing. 

But I’m on Team Better Safe Than Sorry. It’s not that I think every unattended bag is nefarious, but *sometimes* they are; no reason to pretend like it couldn’t possibly be a bomb or other bad actor. 

Quill, or anybody, is this talking point happening somewhere? The idea that Americans should quit being concerned about terrorism because fear holds us back from living freely? I'm flailing to phrase it reasonably. But is this on some cable news channel? It reminds me of how some folks feel we need to get over the covid pandemic. I don't watch enough talking heads, perhaps. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Just now, GoVanGogh said:

We were in Paris twice and impacted by similar situations. First time, the entire metro system was shut down for an abandoned suitcase. It ended up being harmless, tourist had accidentally left it behind. But they take abandoned bags quite seriously over there. Another trip, there was an abandoned bag near one of their museums we were at and same protocol. Total shutdown and evacuation of the area. I would think the Smithsonian would react similarly. 

Yep. Precisely so.

• Like 1

After her reaction, I might have been tempted to tell security anyway... It's fun to imagine her suitcase being taken to a field and being blown up.

I think you did well, and I think alerting security would be entirely appropriate. 

We had an abandoned backpack appear on a bench in our medium-size town a few years ago just before an MLK parade, and it turned out to be a bomb. So, it can happen anywhere. (Nobody was hurt. It was discovered before the parade started. They found the bomber and he's in prison for 32 years.)

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, Tiberia said:

After her reaction, I might have been tempted to tell security anyway... It's fun to imagine her suitcase being taken to a field and being blown up.

I think you did well, and I think alerting security would be entirely appropriate. 

We had an abandoned backpack appear on a bench in our medium-size town a few years ago just before an MLK parade, and it turned out to be a bomb. So, it can happen anywhere. (Nobody was hurt. It was discovered before the parade started. They found the bomber and he's in prison for 32 years.)

Oh, not cool. I'm so glad nobody got hurt.

1 hour ago, El... said:

Quill, or anybody, is this talking point happening somewhere? The idea that Americans should quit being concerned about terrorism because fear holds us back from living freely? I'm flailing to phrase it reasonably. But is this on some cable news channel? It reminds me of how some folks feel we need to get over the covid pandemic. I don't watch enough talking heads, perhaps. 

I haven’t specifically heard it, however I don’t often listen to the type of news that would have this talking point. But I can easily imagine that narrative being spun in certain circles. Her reaction seems weird if she didn’t plant it intentionally. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I think the other lady was embarrassed about having been called out and went on the defense.  She probably didn't think about how leaving the bag would look and felt attacked, and attacked back. Not saying her reaction was correct... Just thinking about how I might feel if called out (or felt I had been called out) for this action.

Yes, I can see that.  Essentially, she felt that her action was being questioned, and she reacted.

However, she took it much further, and that's the part that I still think was either careless or provocative. 

I tend to apologize and take responsibility or correction fairly easily, but that's not the case for many people, including in my family.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, El... said:

I've not heard of that but the idea fascinates me (in a not good way). Situational awareness does not impact my living freely. In fact I think it enhances it: if people are aware of things that are out of place and report them properly, AND people don't "innocently" leave unattended parcels around in random places, we can probably all be more comfortable?

The fact that the suitcase in the OP was mostly hidden bothers me. I mean, I guess a person could shove it there to keep it out of the way but I kind of read it as hiding it. And I can imagine in DC people are walking around with large backpacks and such, though I would expect there'd be a place to check them at the entrance. 

• Like 5

I frankly don't see anything wrong with putting one's bag down while browsing an art gallery.  Especially since she was still in the same room.  Maybe the bag was heavy or she needed both hands for something.

TBH I might have been annoyed if I were the bag owner.  It depends on how things were said.  I don't mind someone asking whose it is, but then going on to imply that any bag not in a hand or on a back should be presumed dangerous?  And shame on me for not expecting everyone else to be afraid of it?  That is irrational.  For that matter, a bag in my hand or on my back isn't a guarantee of safety either.

I've been on the receiving end multiple times of people who believe their personal fears should control me.  Their behavior can be just as obnoxious as what the OP described as the bag owner's behavior.  Both are inappropriate IMO.

I also am not following the logic that because you think my bag might have a bomb in it, I don't deserve respect???

Your kid might have a bomb strapped to his chest for all I know.  Should I say something about it?  It's a whole irrational line of thought IMO.

As for why the bag was tucked out of the way between chairs ... I assume that was out of consideration / to keep floor space clear for people who wanted to see the artworks?  Is that crazy?

The bag owner's reaction sounds over the top.  I don't know what her issue is.  I wasn't there.  I do know that when I've been accused of being dangerous when I was not in fact endangering anyone, the tone of the accusation wasn't friendly, accusations were repeated (because I didn't seem upset enough the first couple times), and if I had lacked self-control, I might have made an unfortunate response.

• Like 2

We had an interesting experience at Disney a few years ago. We stopped at some benches for a rest and I noticed a backpack behind a bench all by itself. We moved farther away from it and kept an eye for a few minutes to see if someone came back. Now we were sitting there discussing what to do about the backpack and how we could tell security, but we had not seen a single security guard all day and none had walked past while we sat there. So I walked up to a kiosk selling something  nearby and told the lady. Within seconds there were several security guards in the area. They talked for a minute and decided to look in it and take it away. Not five minutes later a very harried looking man ran up and shouted did we see a back pack?!? and for the second time a uniformed guard showed up out of absolutely no where (we were in a very quiet spot with very few people around and had totally not seen him) and talked to the guy and they walked away together. It felt so weird, we had not seen security at all, then they kept showing up out of no where. We decided there was a secret passage somewhere nearby. And of course we kept track and never saw another security guard the rest of the day! 🤷🏼‍♀️

Eta: forgot to answer the question! I would have quietly informed security and left

Edited by saraha
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

I frankly don't see anything wrong with putting one's bag down while browsing an art gallery.  Especially since she was still in the same room.  Maybe the bag was heavy or she needed both hands for something.

TBH I might have been annoyed if I were the bag owner.  It depends on how things were said.  I don't mind someone asking whose it is, but then going on to imply that any bag not in a hand or on a back should be presumed dangerous?  And shame on me for not expecting everyone else to be afraid of it?  That is irrational.  For that matter, a bag in my hand or on my back isn't a guarantee of safety either.

I've been on the receiving end multiple times of people who believe their personal fears should control me.  Their behavior can be just as obnoxious as what the OP described as the bag owner's behavior.  Both are inappropriate IMO.

I also am not following the logic that because you think my bag might have a bomb in it, I don't deserve respect???

Your kid might have a bomb strapped to his chest for all I know.  Should I say something about it?  It's a whole irrational line of thought IMO.

As for why the bag was tucked out of the way between chairs ... I assume that was out of consideration / to keep floor space clear for people who wanted to see the artworks?  Is that crazy?

The bag owner's reaction sounds over the top.  I don't know what her issue is.  I wasn't there.  I do know that when I've been accused of being dangerous when I was not in fact endangering anyone, the tone of the accusation wasn't friendly, accusations were repeated (because I didn't seem upset enough the first couple times), and if I had lacked self-control, I might have made an unfortunate response.

Interesting. Thank you for your response. 

I would have been unlikely to notice. If I noticed and it clicked where I was and that it could be a problem.  I would have told security if nearby or asked if it was anyone's bag.  It's one of those safety things "I know" in theory but might not remember in the moment.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, El... said:

Yes. I'm thinking about that for DS11.  Respect isn't the moral standard in a dangerous situation. I'm going to discuss that nuance with him.

So here's the hard part, in my experience as a mom.  Kids, including young adults, don't always envision situations as dangerous ones.  (And frankly, I think we all have to become skilled at recognizing even the ones that are overtly, obviously dangerous.) I think it's teaching ourselves and our loved ones to look, be observant, and play 'if-thens' in our heads.  I also want to be really good at pattern recognition, as it has served me well.

As an example of pattern recognition:, in my adolescent years, my dad had the opportunity to fly small aircraft and drop food and water packets to areas devastated by a hurricane. He talked about the seeing the total collapse of entire mountainsides into valleys, and of helping valley floor people, stranded on roofs, with food and water drops. It was a third world country, so very little help would be coming. It was a point in time event, and he occasionally talked about the experience, mostly his gratitude for countrymen pulling together to provide hundreds and hundred of sacks of food and water. Seeing people on rooftops surrounded by muddy water as far as the eye could see was just heart-rending, but they could help in this one way.

Decades later, my daughter and her husband went to Kauai, and they planned to hike in the mountains, but they were going on their own, not on a guided hike. When I heard about the crazy rainfall they had, a couple of feet of rain within days, I texted and asked her to be careful, as mudslides were a danger after heavy rain. I never heard back from her. They returned, and I heard nothing of details.  Several years later, she was casually reminiscing about the trip, and she reported that the entire shore (all beaches on one coast) were closed due to agricultural run-off, and that the park trails that they had planned to hike were closed, so they went to another private area closer to the coast (not as steep as the inland parks), and they encountered knee-deep mud. I said nothing because "I told you so" is always welcome ;-), but I had recognized a pattern, and I'm glad they were safe due to TPTB that closed the trails.  I don't think that she or he would have perceived that as a danger...but someone who is playing "what if?" could have and could have decided on an alternate plan.  

It's really a mindset: think and observe, and apply what you know of patterns of human behavior or of nature, along with risk stratification--is it a small town museum or one of the Smithsonians, where someone is more likely to grind their axe--for wise choices.

Anyhow...that is some Sunday-morning musing. 😉

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 8