Menu

Limited time Fast food favorites that suck you in

Ottakee

I will admit that we eat fast food about once a week.   Some things just draw me in and I want to get them before they are gone.

Things like pretzel pizza at Little Ceasars, Nacho fries at Little Ceasars, the bbq bacon whopper junior at BK, etc.

Now that LC doesn’t have pretzel pizza we almost never get it, but when pretzel pizza comes around again you will bet I will be there….way too often.

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 3

• Ottakee changed the title to Limited time Fast food favorites that suck you in

Nacho Fries at Taco Bell and Chicken tortilla soup at Chik fil a.

It doesn't help that my daughter works at one of those and the other is about 200 feet from there and I have to drop off and pick her up nearly every day. 

Oh and for really limited the Curderburger from Culver's.  We got one last year and one this year.  Was really hoping for another but they sold out too fast.  

It’s not a limited time special but I have a special, outsized and intense fondness for Del Taco.  There’s only one in our orbit and it’s not an area we go to a lot so if I find myself near there, I usually stop for carne asada fries and their cheap AF bean burritos.   It’s usually about 4 times a year.  If we drive near there when they are closed, I feel cheated.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 3

I'm lucky that the only fast food I like is Dairy Queen Blizzards and ice cream cakes and they are way too expensive for me to buy.  I get blizzards a few times a year if I have a BOGO but that's it.  And our DQ charges more than others.  $7 for a large blizzard! But, wow, are they delicious...

3 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I can go for a McRib or two.  I recently had a seasonal chocolate peppermint shake from Shake Shack that is worth repeating.  

I have never had a McRib, and that’s saying something because I go to McDonald’s a lot. Every year I say I’m going to try it. This may be the year because my McDonald’s has a sign that suggests that this is the last time it will be offered—ever. Maybe I’m misinterpreting. I’ll have to ask.

I’ve mentioned before on here at some point…I have a dog. A very spoiled dog who expects to go for a ride in the car every day. Being that dh and I love McDonald’s iced tea, I take the dog to McDonald’s several times a week. Even before I had this dog—I’ve been going for 10+ years to this particular location. They all know me and my husband. Sometimes he goes through on the way to work and I’ll go through later. Barbara (there are two Barbara’s there actually) will always say, “ I saw your husband earlier!” He used to have a blue Tacoma, and she LOVED that truck. 

I’m rambling. It’s Thanksgiving, and I was just thinking about this today… how that McDonald’s has been there with me through so much STUFF over the past decade. They have NO IDEA how those Cokes got me through the years before my dd’s autism dx. Or my other dd’s eating disorder. Or my other dd’s mood disorder. Loneliness. Chronic illness. All the crap. My McD’s daily trip was a highlight. I know this sounds so cheesy, but I really wish I could do something to show the employees how much I appreciate them showing up everyday. Y’all, I have stories! They have seen me at my scatterbrained worst. I’ve made them die laughing (like when I came through the drive thru with the lift gate up on my minivan after loading up groceries at Publix or paying at the first window and then driving off without stopping at the second window for my food!) and they make me laugh, too. 

I’m definitely getting a McRib next week. 

To answer the original question…the Shamrock shake. 🙂

• Like 12

@popmom--I love your entire post (but especially about taking the dog for a ride every day). ❤️ It's amazing how such an ordinary thing can become an anchor of our lives, isn't it?

I'm not much of a fast food eater and I've been to a Taco Bell I think one time in the last thirty years, but those commercials for nacho fries are very tempting. Plus DS's friend, who is kinda my soul kid for healthy eating, swears they really are worth the splurge.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

@popmom--I love your entire post (but especially about taking the dog for a ride every day). ❤️ It's amazing how such an ordinary thing can become an anchor of our lives, isn't it?

I'm not much of a fast food eater and I've been to a Taco Bell I think one time in the last thirty years, but those commercials for nacho fries are very tempting. Plus DS's friend, who is kinda my soul kid for healthy eating, swears they really are worth the splurge.

The nacho fries are worth it.   Seriously

• Like 2

5 hours ago, popmom said:

I have never had a McRib, and that’s saying something because I go to McDonald’s a lot. Every year I say I’m going to try it. This may be the year because my McDonald’s has a sign that suggests that this is the last time it will be offered—ever. Maybe I’m misinterpreting. I’ll have to ask.

I’ve mentioned before on here at some point…I have a dog. A very spoiled dog who expects to go for a ride in the car every day. Being that dh and I love McDonald’s iced tea, I take the dog to McDonald’s several times a week. Even before I had this dog—I’ve been going for 10+ years to this particular location. They all know me and my husband. Sometimes he goes through on the way to work and I’ll go through later. Barbara (there are two Barbara’s there actually) will always say, “ I saw your husband earlier!” He used to have a blue Tacoma, and she LOVED that truck. 

I’m rambling. It’s Thanksgiving, and I was just thinking about this today… how that McDonald’s has been there with me through so much STUFF over the past decade. They have NO IDEA how those Cokes got me through the years before my dd’s autism dx. Or my other dd’s eating disorder. Or my other dd’s mood disorder. Loneliness. Chronic illness. All the crap. My McD’s daily trip was a highlight. I know this sounds so cheesy, but I really wish I could do something to show the employees how much I appreciate them showing up everyday. Y’all, I have stories! They have seen me at my scatterbrained worst. I’ve made them die laughing (like when I came through the drive thru with the lift gate up on my minivan after loading up groceries at Publix or paying at the first window and then driving off without stopping at the second window for my food!) and they make me laugh, too. 

I’m definitely getting a McRib next week. 

To answer the original question…the Shamrock shake. 🙂

I guarantee that your visits to that drive thru are the highlights of their day!  The greatest gift I have received from my job in fast food is the connection I've made with so many fabulous people that I never knew before I worked at CFA.   I could tell some amazing stories!

I can't even tell you what it meant to me the first time one of those guests asked for me to come to the window and then promptly handed me a tray loaded with homemade cookies and other treats.   Take them something! A plate of cookies (from a bakery or homemade- they won't care!), a small box of chocolates, a bag of chex mix, etc.  If you do family Christmas cards, take them one- especially if it has your dog on it.  I promise they are the biggest fans of your dog as well as you.  🙂

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

This is regional, but Burgerville rosemary shoestring fries. And I don't think it's always consistent when to look for them--I know when dd did middle school track it was track season, like April, but I think it was more like February in recent years.

I was waiting for someone to mention Burgerville!  We left the PNW 15 years ago but we still talk about the regional/seasonal items. I don't remember rosemary shoestring fries, but:  Blackberry milkshakes, Walla Walla onion rings, and sweet potato fries (maybe those weren't seasonal but a new thing then). There is nothing remotely like Burgerville where we live now, and we miss it so much.

(However, we do have Wawa, a gas station/convenient store/fast food/coffee place that is nothing like we ever saw in Oregon. So at least we have Wawa.)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, popmom said:

paying at the first window and then driving off without stopping at the second window for my food!)

Oh, gosh! Me too! BTDT more than once. 

I can't eat much fast food with my intolerances, but when I find certain items I can have at a store...I have to work hard to not make them an entitlement. Trader Joe's has some really good GF chocolate muffins right now. They used to have a flourless chocolate something...kind of cake, kind of brownie. A local swanky grocery store has all.the.things.--fancy chef-made deli items, baked goods, etc. They have flourless chocolate cookies and brownies. So good.

Aldi sometimes has frozen GF donuts (I wasn't even all that big of a donut fan before going GF, lol!), and I just have to walk away when they have their GF cheesecake tray once a year or so. Lately they've had some kind of frozen chocolate fudge bars on and off, and they had some that were mint hot chocolate...so good!

Oh, I love Penn Station fries! I forgot about those--we don't have one that's easy to get into and out of, so I am a little safer, lol! Finding GF fries is hard. If we lived near In and Out Burger, fries and a burger with a lettuce wrap would be my vice.

• Like 2

I don’t have the gene that makes Limited Time Only work on me; not even a little bit. However, my son DEFINITELY has it. He is always craving the nacho fries or whatever and seems to always know which promotions are happening right now. He’s 22. He’s not outgrowing it. 🤣 

When he was little he always knew which restaurants had which toys in the kids’ meals. The kid is dedicated to his craft. He’s the only one of the four of us like that so it distressed him that we don’t appreciate his urgency. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

13 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

It’s not a limited time special but I have a special, outsized and intense fondness for Del Taco.  There’s only one in our orbit and it’s not an area we go to a lot so if I find myself near there, I usually stop for carne asada fries and their cheap AF bean burritos.   It’s usually about 4 times a year.  If we drive near there when they are closed, I feel cheated.  

Interesting.   I can't say I have ever had a fondness for anything at Del Taco.   I do like El Pollo Loco though.   We used to get it at work quite often as it was down the street.    Now that I think of it, I saw someone shot and killed at an El Pollo.....but that is another story for another day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

I do like the holiday pies from McDs. Did y’all try the pumpkin pie this fall? It was surprisingly good! I had 2-3 over the last few months. Idk if they’re new but this was the first year I had one. 

This must be regional. We’ve never had those. Sounds very tempting!

8 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

For those who have never had the delicious holiday pie from McDonalds and wonder what it is-  vanilla custard in a sugar cookie crust topped with a glaze. It is the perfect sweetness without being too sweet.  

I need this in my life! Why don't we have this??? 

12 minutes ago, popmom said:

I need this in my life! Why don't we have this??? 

Apparently McDonald’s Holiday Pie is seasonal to December. News is guessing early December based on trends. 

image.jpeg.d297c817a6c42f562c8099d3abd6fbca.jpeg

(source: https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/product/baked-holiday-pie.html)

news link https://www.mashed.com/1074966/this-might-be-when-mcdonalds-holiday-pie-will-return-in-2022/

• Like 1

I eat at fast food places maybe 4x/year...  Some of the ones mentioned I've never heard of!  Must not be in our state.  My favorites are White Castle sliders.  I think those are only in the midwest.  I also like Taco John's bean burritos -- they happen to be on a route we take often and are exactly half-way, so it's become a quick and yummy stop for us.  I crave a McDonald's cheeseburger once/year, as well as a Culver's burger.

I have no idea what pretzel pizza or nacho fries are.

I'm guessing nacho fries substitutes fries in instead of corn chips? But pretzel pizza? No idea 😄

Never heard of McRibs, but that seems reasonably self-explanatory. 

Maccas here has apple pies, but I haven't heard of holiday pies.

I used to like Hungry Jack's onion rings, back when they were crumbed. They were yummy.

2 hours ago, happi duck said:

If history repeats the floodgates will now open for comments against mentioned foods.

Like I tell students if we're trying foods, if you don't like something politely don't eat it.  If you make a fuss about not liking something you might be insulting what someone else likes.

Yes! Also, I think everyone here has a good grasp on what a healthy diet looks like. I consider myself a foodie, but I’m definitely not a food snob. I have a deep appreciation for all kinds of foods lol. I hate that I feel like I have to make some sort of disclaimer that I actually mostly cook from scratch and I’m not eating Big Macs everyday. 😂

ETA: I don’t think I’m alone in this since McD’s is mostly a drink stop for me—-I could start a whole new thread just on straws. Like I’m serious about straws. They greatly affect my enjoyment of my iced tea or whatever. McDonald’s has a quality straw. Not too fat. Not too skinny. Long enough but not too long. Doesn’t bend and get cracks easily (which allows air in and completely ruins the experience). Not a food snob but definitely a straw snob. IYKYK 😉

Edited by popmom
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1