Menu

Tell me about your best museum experience

Mrs Tiggywinkle Again

Apparently I drank too many lemon drop martinis last night and promised my kids a trip to the American Revolution Museum in Philadelphia.  Because they woke me up today already packed.  
I could theoretically do it in a day trip, but I’d rather take two days and see other things as well.  
But it got me thinking. What are the best museums you’ve been to? Especially historical museums?

I have three history loving kids, a camper, and I only work 8 days a month(24 hour shifts though).  I live in upstate New York, so most of the east coast is in a reasonable driving distance.  I’ve never taken them to NYC or Boston because I have an irrational fear of driving in those cities, but I’ve taken them to DC and Philadelphia and didn’t mind driving so it’s probably irrational.

Where have you been that was great??

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Also; anything having to do with the founding fathers.  My youngest two(ages 10 and 7) are working on a project they devised to research the founding fathers birthdays and favorite foods, so we can then make their favorite foods on their birthdays.  John Adams, if you’re interested, was born October 30 and liked pickles.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

In that area, two of our favorites are Plimouth Plantation (fills a day easily, can go for seafood dinner and beach relaxation after) and the vast riches of the Freedom Trail in Boston. I would recommend you ditch your car in Boston and use public transportation--it's very do-able. The Freedom Trail is well marked and easy to walk through. Take a couple days on it. 

We also enjoyed Mount Vernon many years ago.

• Like 5

I have one kid who has historically liked most museums and one whose goal is to walk through as fast as possible.  Both of them really enjoy historical re-enactment type places like Jamestown and Plimouth Plantation and Williamsburg.  My museum loving kid didn’t really even care about the content:  science, history, glass blowing, mints.  If it was something like sports, she might not have enjoyed that.  

They both hated Niagara Falls though.  

• Like 2

The Henry Ford outside of Detroit is great. VERY east coast, but all the historic sites and museums we saw in Nova Scotia were really well done, particularly the Fortress of Louisbourg. A little under the radar for living history sites--we were pleasantly surprised by how extensive and enjoyable Old Salem in Winston-Salem, NC was. I really enjoyed Ellis Island and the audio tour there. 

• Like 2

I like the living history places mentioned so far.  Pro tip:  Stop and converse with the actors.  They generally take on specific, known personae, and if not, are at least very well versed in being like someone of the period, and you can learn a lot about outlook and life and times in conversation with them.  This is especially true if they are working on a craft or avocation that you’re familiar with already—I had a fantastic conversation with a weaver in Williamsburg, for instance, that was richer because weaving is a hobby of mine.

Before doing the Freedom Trail in Boston, read Johnny Tremain together and/or watch the Disney movie of it.  It’s a great tour of the main sites but doesn’t have the living history encampment feel that the other ones do.

• Like 4

I love the west coast but the historic sites that the east coast has makes me jealous. 

The kids and I did a field trip to Angel Island last year. That was an eye opening experience. My screaming complaining 3 year old made for a very immersive experience.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I have one kid who has historically liked most museums and one whose goal is to walk through as fast as possible.  Both of them really enjoy historical re-enactment type places like Jamestown and Plimouth Plantation and Williamsburg.  My museum loving kid didn’t really even care about the content:  science, history, glass blowing, mints.  If it was something like sports, she might not have enjoyed that.  

They both hated Niagara Falls though.  

My kids are not Niagara Falls fans either. In fact I offered to take them there today but they made faces and offered to do chores instead.

• Haha 4

The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago is one of my all-time favorites. You could spend days there and not see everything!

The Naper Settlement in the Chicago suburbs is also great...lots of pioneer-era demonstrations, and the grounds are pretty. Also in the Chicago suburbs is Cantigny Park, which has a First Division Museum and a historic house to tour, plus more beautiful grounds.

We also really enjoyed Mount Vernon this summer. I think we would have enjoyed the Smithsonians more if there hadn't been so many renovations and so many rude people.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MrsMommy said:

The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago is one of my all-time favorites. You could spend days there and not see everything!

The Naper Settlement in the Chicago suburbs is also great...lots of pioneer-era demonstrations, and the grounds are pretty. Also in the Chicago suburbs is Cantigny Park, which has a First Division Museum and a historic house to tour, plus more beautiful grounds.

We also really enjoyed Mount Vernon this summer. I think we would have enjoyed the Smithsonians more if there hadn't been so many renovations and so many rude people.

I think that's my all-time favorite museum!

• Like 4

They definitely want to go to Mount Vernon.  We tried once a few years ago but it was a holiday and sooo busy so we did something else instead.  I’ll try again.

Williamsburg is on my list but that feels like a week long vacation.

My weekend off work is Friday-Monday every other weekend, so I plan to take the kids to Philly in about two weeks. The ones who are in school can skip. The schools can be mad. I’m not really losing sleep anymore about it(both younger kids will be hybrid or homeschooled next year, so I’ve honestly stopped worrying about never missing school).

I can't help with the museum and history stuff, but...

I don't think that a fear of driving in Boston is irrational, at all. It is a whole different driving culture there than I have ever seen anywhere in my life. The only thing that would have made it more foreign was driving on the left side. Thank goodness I was only a passenger!

• Like 1

The Landis Valley Museum could be something you do on the way to or from Philly. It's wasn't fully open when we were there (really early spring), but they had a bunch of hands-on things that day, and the interpreters enjoyed spending more 1:1 time with guests. We really enjoyed it.

https://www.landisvalleymuseum.org/

Not sure what my favorite museum has been, but we do like a combination of exhibits and living history and/or exhibits with really good tours (the USAF museum tour is almost always worth it, for instance, even if you've already been--each docent has different things they get passionate about). 

• Like 1

If you are going to Philadelphia, check out the Constitution Center. It's been a few years but we loved it. 

ETA: Our best museum experience ever was the British Museum but we have had plenty of great experiences elsewhere. I have a history/museum kid. In Philly area:

The Penn Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology:  https://www.penn.museum/

Philadelphia Museum of Art is not specifically history, of course, but... so great. 

Academy of Natural Sciences:   https://ansp.org/

The visitors center at Gettysburg is pretty amazing.

Also, totally not irrational to hate driving in Boston and NYC. I have done both, long ago, and remember the trauma well. Fortunately both cities have good public transit. I dislike driving in Philly too and prefer to take the train (I live in the suburbs).

When you come to Philly, if you are looking for an outdoor experience, check out Wissahickon Valley Park, which is an amazing urban park which seems in places a million miles from the city. There is a long wide flat trail through the middle of it, along a creek, and trails going off that - some are a little harder than others, but it's all wonderful. And fall is the best ever time to see it. There are some neat old bridges, structures and dams too, for a history person.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

My favorite museums are ones that are smaller or specialized...I love having some familiarity with a topic and then being able to go on a deep dive at a museum.  My favorite that is connected to early American history is The USS Constitution ship and museum in Boston.   We had done some reading about the ship and about the war of 1812 in our homeschool reading, and I honestly just love visiting in person and being the ones (me and my kids) to know the answers to the questions the tour guides ask during their presentation and being able to ask more questions based on our reading.   The Boston Tea Party ships are a relatively commercialized (and expensive!) museum experience, but my kids look back on that and it was one of their favorite things they did on our Boston trip in 2021.  We were bummed not to be able to take in more of the museums/sites that are along the freedom trail - several were still closed or very limited due to COVID in '21 and the ones that were open were of less interest to us.  

On totally different topics, a couple of my favorite museums are the National Postal Museum in Washington DC and the Computer History Museum in San Jose.  Again, small and specialized.  🙂  I enjoy visits to large museums too, but I just feel like you could never "know" them or experience them completely in the same way you can really feel like you experienced completely a smaller museum.

Another thing I like doing is finding random historical sites (not even necessarily a whole museum) connected to something we've read.  We read a book the school year before last about the building of the Erie canal. So then on our summer '21 road trip, when we were heading from Boston across New York state to Niagara Falls, I poured over maps of Erie canal sites and it didn't quite work for us to visit a museum, but the
Schoharie Crossing historic site was positioned as a perfect lunch stop, and I loved reading the signage and taking a walk to see stretches of original canal.  My kids were mildly interested but I totally geeked out. 😁

Edited by kirstenhill
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown are all within 10-30 minutes of each other. And a full week would definitely be more enjoyable. If your kids like theme parks, Busch Gardens is also there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

They definitely want to go to Mount Vernon.  We tried once a few years ago but it was a holiday and sooo busy so we did something else instead.  I’ll try again.

My weekend off work is Friday-Monday every other weekend, so I plan to take the kids to Philly in about two weeks. The ones who are in school can skip. The schools can be mad. I’m not really losing sleep anymore about it(both younger kids will be hybrid or homeschooled next year, so I’ve honestly stopped worrying about never missing school).

We went to Williamsburg and to Mystic Seaport Connecticut in summer 2021, and Mystic Seaport won hands down. DS9 loved it so much he asked to move there so we could be members and go all the time. He loved being able to furl a real sail while standing on the toe ropes since they had taken down the topmast from a boat that was being repaired and set it up in the playground. 

Emily

• Like 1

DS loved the Tea Party museum in Boston.  It was fun and interactive, and not far off the Freedom Trail.  Oldest ds: Anything in DC, but specifically Ford's Theatre & the boarding house.  If you have a bit more time, he also raves about the St. Louis Arch.

Worst museum: Basketball Hall of Fame.  I have never been so bored in my life and even my basketball loving children floundered because there is nothing being told there, only names attached to things. 

Their vote for weirdest: Graceland, or the Appalachian history museum somewhere around western VA.

We have loved Jamestown, Salem (including the fabulous Peabody Essex art museum there), Plimoth (it's different now and the Wampanoag village part does not come highly recommended), Maritime Museum in...Yorktown?, the Shaker Village in western MA...Springfield-ish, I think, and the Norman Rockwell museum and grounds.  The docents there are wonderful.

Still on our list: The Isabella Stewart Gardener museum from the art heist show on Netflix, Deerfield living museum, the Spy Museum, and a few smaller ones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I’ve never taken them to NYC or Boston because I have an irrational fear of driving in those cities

I don’t think it is irrational. But you could go with public transit for those places. Taking public transit can be an educational experience in and of itself.

For me, the main factors that make or break a museum trip have little to do with the museum itself. 
- avoid crowded times

- schedule enough time so there is no rush

- make sure no-one gets hangry

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

The Isabella Stewart Gardener museum

We went there a few weeks ago and it was incredible.  So different from any other art museum that I've ever been to.  

We're currently living in Boston for a bit and driving here is indeed stone cold insanity but I'm sort of getting used to it (she says optimistically).  I just set the GPS and leave early for everything on the assumption that at some point I will make a wrong turn.  Also, I just ignore everyone who honks at me.  Sorry, Boston drivers, too bad, so sad for you to be stuck behind the giant minivan with out-of-state plates, but honking at me does not actually make me any less confused and I am absolutely not going to drive any faster.

Ahem.  I'm sure you lovely boardies are not the people honking at me!

This thread has inspired me to plan a trip to Plimoth Plantation.  

My kids loved the Math Museum in NYC, and Liberty Science Center in NJ is wonderful. 

• Like 2

founding fathers = Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home) was very interesting

The Franklin Science Museum in Philly was great. (It doesn't have much to do directly with Ben Franklin, however)

Colonial Williamsburg was fine, but 1 day was plenty for us, and we felt like we got to see what we wanted. (Note: we were there off-season, so that probably makes a different).

Totally not founding fathers, but... everyone here loved the museums we got to see in D.C. -- the Smithsonian Natural History Museum, and, Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum. 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Uhh, the Churchill war rooms in London? The British Museum? (All those looted treasures all in one place, very convenient).

ok east coast, if you go to NYC you can do an Ellis Island/Met/and the Tenement Museum in one fell swoop. The latter is more of a experience than a museum as such and requires some planning. [eta that my experience predates the pandemic so no idea what these things look like now]

you didn’t mention science kids otherwise I would have said Corning Museum of Glass or Mutter museum in Philly. There’s also AMnH in NYC but it’s a little tired. 

Edited by madteaparty

If you skipped the Baltimore museums on your way to dc, you could easily fill several days there.  There is the Walters, Baltimore Museum of Art, American Visionary Arts Museum, Museum of Industry, B&O RR museum, the Baltimore Aquarium, the Science Center, Port Discovery, and the Baltimore Zoo. I’m forgetting a few but that’s a lot to do without a lot of driving in between. 

• Like 2

NYC has the outstanding Egyptian collection in the Metropolitan Museum.  Their spin off, The Cloisters, houses the iconic unicorn tapestries, which I still have never seen.  Staten Island and the Statue of Liberty are great tours.

Here in the NorCal area, tilting into nearby Nevada, I would recommend:

Big Ramses II exhibit currently in the DeYoung Museum in San Francisco.  Then go to nearby Japanese Tea Garden, stroll and nosh.  It's gorgeous and within walking distance.  The Exploratorium is a drive away but has excellent physics and biology exhibits, and it's geared a little older than typical children's science centers.  Ride a cable car, and eat at Fishermans' Wharf--Scoma's is where the locals go.  Walking distance from the cable car line end.  Then over to Ghirardelli square for a sundae or hot chocolate--this is the original factory building, now turned into shops.  That's three days right there.

Make a reservation and go to Muir Woods, across the Golden Gate Bridge (iconic) and a bit beyond to the north.  See the huge redwoods there--old growth forest area.  Pretty unique and not that far away.  Watch out for copious poison oak though.

Columbia State Historic Park about 2 hours east, a town frozen in time 10 years after the Gold Rush.  Do the stagecoach ride for sure.  Buy fudge as it's the best I have ever had.

Gold Discovery Site up in Coloma (Sutter's Fort) is an awesome living history place to visit.  That is north of Columbia.

The Nevada State Museum in Carson City has the best rock cycle exhibit I have ever seen.  Also has a tour of an underground mine, distinct from the Columbia gold panning focus.  Then head to Virginia City, short car ride, tour the town, ride the train, go on the tours--it's a Mark Twain/Gold/Silver rush site.  Fun times!

ETA:  Maybe start in SF and then do Muir Woods and then go on a southern jaunt.  What to see:  Monterey Aquarium--best in the world.  The California Mission in San Juan Bautista.  This mission still has the square, and more than just the church as the old buildings.  Plus there is a great tour with exhibits.  San Jose:  Tech Museum--one of a kind.  The Peralta Adobe--interesting and small exhibit from the pre-American era (Spanish/Mexican) here.  Sanborn Park--has some awesome Native American exhibits about the local Ohlone tribes.  Rosicrucean Museum--second biggest Egyptian exhibit in the country.  Plus the grounds are like an Egyptian garden.  

THEN go to Columbia, and then on to the Gold Country.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Thanks 1

My favorite memories of my kids in museums mostly involve either Stories in Art/Artful Conversations at the National Gallery or stuff at Hirshhorn. Basically, don't listen to me. My kids are weirdos and we're quintessentially DC in our approach to museums. Oh, shall we go with the kindergarteners to the weirdest art museum for the morning just to get out of the house? Yes, yes we shall.

In terms of standouts for history specifically... I have a soft spot for the Walters in Baltimore because you can tour all of art and history in a day. It's like the capsule wardrobe of museums. Smithsonian American History is okay I guess. Smithsonian African American History is standout stellar but it wasn't open when my kids were little. But I did have an excellently DC experience with them once when we were there where a woman in one of the photos was in her full Go-go get up, waving other pics of herself, offering to talk to anyone who passed about being in a photo that was now in a Smithsonian and that was AMAZING.

The living museum at Jamestowne was weirdly good, though I found some of the Indigenous stuff there a bit borderline/problematic. I used to love Claude Moore Colonial Farm but it closed. Most of the plantations, like Monticello and Mount Vernon and so forth are just messy to me. Like, we did them. And Williamsburg, too. And got a lot out of them. But a lot of the messaging around slavery was deeply torn and awkward at all of them. I found myself sort of seizing on some of the messaging, trying to ignore other parts, trying to teach things counter for other things. 

• Like 3

Another West Coast girl here, but a museum I was very surprised at was the National Automobile Museum in Reno. We were visiting Tahoe this summer and hubs wanted to go, so we went. He’s a car guy.  I thought, ok, but I wasn’t expecting to really love it. Oh my word. It was stunning. It really was.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kirstenhill said:

...a couple of my favorite museums are the National Postal Museum in Washington DC...

We liked that one, too. My then eight year old also loved "the money factory" aka The Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, marbel said:

If you are going to Philadelphia, check out the Constitution Center. It's been a few years but we loved it. 

Never been, but I have listened to some of their online programming. Thanks for the reminder to check them out again to see what they are currently offering!

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Gold Discovery Site up in Coloma (Sutter's Fort) is an awesome living history place to visit.  That is north of Columbia.

I thought Sutter's Fort was in downtown Sacramento? Maybe Sutter's Mill? 

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=485

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=484

Another Bay area museum is the USS Hornet. We really enjoyed it. 

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

Maybe we need a Hive based Air B&B exchange thing, so people can switch with other Hivers and go experience their part of the country and their museums.  Could solve pet sitting, too!  

Anyone want to come vacation by the monolith and its very cute puppies?

I do!!!

Anyone want to spend time in the Fingerlakes within walking distance of one of the lakes?? We are probably turning our old home into a short term rental after Christmas. 😂

• Like 3

We love the museums in Ottawa. The favorite was the Museum of History. It's an easy drive there and easy to drive in the city. Also lots of parks and places for a camper. For NYC consider a drive to Poughkeepsie and take Metro North in for the day. A day at the MET and play in the park would be great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

ETA:  Maybe start in SF and then do Muir Woods and then go on a southern jaunt.  What to see:  Monterey Aquarium--best in the world.  The California Mission in San Juan Bautista.  This mission still has the square, and more than just the church as the old buildings.  Plus there is a great tour with exhibits.  San Jose:  Tech Museum--one of a kind.  The Peralta Adobe--interesting and small exhibit from the pre-American era (Spanish/Mexican) here.  Sanborn Park--has some awesome Native American exhibits about the local Ohlone tribes.  Rosicrucean Museum--second biggest Egyptian exhibit in the country.  Plus the grounds are like an Egyptian garden.  

THEN go to Columbia, and then on to the Gold Country.

The Monterey Bay Aquarium was the first aquarium I’d ever seen in my life. I loved it and went several times when I lived there. Monterey was also where I met my husband and my first “college” experience. That town holds a lot of romance for me. Sometimes, especially in the dead of winter, I pull up their beach cameras and let them run on my computer screen. 

• Like 2

Welll…after Ian our favorite museum is likely off limits.

the national shell museum in sanibel Florida was fantastic. 
my kids loved it and it was super interesting. There was one worker in particular who was incredibly passionate about his job and talked to us for a long time about anything we were interested in. 
I wonder how it fared in the storm.

eta: I just looked it up. It was damaged and they lost many animals including the octopuses. 😭 however their employees are alll safe.

https://www.shellmuseum.org

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Sad 4

I second the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. If you go from NY through Canada, you can stop at the Stones and Bones Museum in Sarnia before entering Michigan at Port Huron. The Stones and Bones Museum is an amazing privately owned little museum that is like a cousin to the Field Museum in Chicago. It's more natural history, but so, so cool.

Just now, East Coast Sue said:

Hagley Museum & Library in Wilmington, Delaware (Love it and I work there)

Oh, Hagley is such a cool place! We haven't been in a while but had a membership there for a year. Loved it so much. We had never heard of it but happened upon it one day when we had to suddenly cancel a vacation and were planning a staycation. We went for the day and ended up joining. 

How fun to "know" someone who works there!  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kbutton said:

Never been, but I have listened to some of their online programming. Thanks for the reminder to check them out again to see what they are currently offering!

I thought Sutter's Fort was in downtown Sacramento? Maybe Sutter's Mill? 

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=485

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=484

Another Bay area museum is the USS Hornet. We really enjoyed it. 

You’re right, it’s Sutter’s Mill, which is at the Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park in Coloma.  

• Like 1

Hyde Park, NY-  great day trip or overnighter.  The FDR library and museum was fantastic. Hands down one of my favorite museums we have visited.  The national archives part was fascinating.   Down the road a few miles was the Vanderbilt place. Gorgeous.  There is a diner right near the cooking school that was delicious.  

Colonial Williamsburg is another place we enjoy.  The tours are extra but we really loved the ghost walk with different employees telling their experiences with ghosts there.  The witch trial was awesome.  Very thought provoking for my kids.  It takes a couple of days to really enjoy it all. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1