Menu

Stuff you think you don’t like….but you never really tried

Ottakee

I got to thinking tonight.  I am at a free outdoor community concert at the waterfront stadium in my touristy town.  It is a great thing and I am enjoying the music 

During the bands break they offered line dancing and during the band sets there was a large area for dancing.  I thought, “I don’t like dancing”.  ….then I realized I have never ever danced in my 50 years.

maybe I would enjoy line dancing.

Do you have anything like that?   I would have never thought I would like backpacking but once I tried it I really love it.  Same with water aerobics (but that I thought I might enjoy).

maybe I am just really sheltered and haven’t tried many things 

62635694-1751-4BF8-BFF4-B7F0B22C6AC9.jpeg

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 15

Sushi.  The idea grossed me out, and other than salmon and the occasional fried white fish, I don't really love fish.  But when I was like 40, a friend dragged me out to a sushi restaurant and ordered me to try it.  I really love it.  I enjoy a much wider assortment of fish when raw than I do cooked.  

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Sushi.  The idea grossed me out, and other than salmon and the occasional fried white fish, I don't really love fish.  But when I was like 40, a friend dragged me out to a sushi restaurant and ordered me to try it.  I really love it.  I enjoy a much wider assortment of fish when raw than I do cooked.  

I will admit that I tried cooked fish sushi but I don’t like the wrapper.  Love the filling, just not tue wrapper 

• Like 2

I am positive I don’t like sushi. Now, I have never even considered trying it but I don’t need to. I just know. 

I used to think I would never drink coffee. Now I drink it black and wouldn’t dream of going a day without it. I had three kids before I started but I am never giving it up now! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

Beautiful scene!

I don't think I like pate but I also have only smelled it.

I am blessed to live in a small tourist town on Lake Michigan.  This waterfront stadium is along the channel.  There is a 2 mile long boardwalk/pier walk, downtown and lots of other neat things here.   Three times a week they have feee concerts and every night is a free lights and water musical fountain show

• Like 11

44 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I am blessed to live in a small tourist town on Lake Michigan.  This waterfront stadium is along the channel.  There is a 2 mile long boardwalk/pier walk, downtown and lots of other neat things here.   Three times a week they have feee concerts and every night is a free lights and water musical fountain show

Sounds amazing.  I want to move there.  I want to live on Lake Michigan so badly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I was coming on to say this. I have still never tried it, and I am an experimental eater. Something about it just puts me off.

I'm pretty uncoordinated, and now old and overweight too. I never did much of it, but line dancing is really so much fun.

45 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I am positive I don’t like sushi. Now, I have never even considered trying it but I don’t need to. I just know. 

If you are basing this off of your dislike of cooked fish sashimi raw fish taste/feel very different from cooked. I'm kind of so so on cooked tuna, but if  money were no object pretty sure I can eat my weight in it raw.

Sashimi is one of mine but that was when I was in elementary school. 

I didn't think homeschooling would be enjoyable but I actually like teaching 1 kid kindergarten.

Durian I've never really tried but I'm afraid to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Sushi is vinegared rice with toppings. The toppings  don’t have to be raw. They don’t have to be fish. They don’t have to have toasted seaweed (nori). 

I am not a nori fan either. I always order sushi rolls  with rice or soy paper instead. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Certain food pairings?  I hear a lot of things and instantly go Yuck.  Like bacon doughnuts.  

I read a recipe that had watermelon and feta cheese in it and thought how gross.  Then one night feta cheese got to close to my watermelon and I tried it.  Delicious.  

And add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar…yum.

• Like 2

Cruising. I know several people who absolutely love cruises. I just can’t imagine myself on a ship with 1000+ people everywhere and an “itinerary”. Plus I’m chicken. Scared I’d get seasick or get norovirus. 

Still, recently I’ve been looking at some cruise lines and wondering… 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Certain food pairings?  I hear a lot of things and instantly go Yuck.  Like bacon doughnuts.  

Yes. Like peanut butter and jelly.... I've never tried it, but it sounds horrible. 

I like - very savoury - Marmite on a buttered oatmeal cookie/biscuit though.

Eta yes, cruising doesn't sound in the least fun.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

Teenagers.
I thought people who chose to teach high schoolers were nuts.  In co-ops, I always angled for the jobs working with littles. Once I somehow got talked into taking on a high school class, I was addicted.  The conversations that come about, and the questions they ask are almost always fun and interesting, and often require that I do some more digging to better understand things myself.
And they never need help with snotty noses or washing their hands.

• Like 11

Oh!  Chutney and pickle - the standard kinds we get in jars here.  When I was a kid, I was grossed out, for some reason, by bits of sauce family members left on the edge of a plate - chutney, pickle, mustard, etc.  I've moved beyond this to enjoy mustard, but for some reason not the others. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Sounds amazing.  I want to move there.  I want to live on Lake Michigan so badly.  

You can come visit.  I am actually about 10 minutes from the lake but I love morni by a and eveni bf a there.  I am just not a bake in the sun person so don’t like the beach on the heat of afternoon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

Teenagers.
I thought people who chose to teach high schoolers were nuts.  In co-ops, I always angled for the jobs working with littles. Once I somehow got talked into taking on a high school class, I was addicted.  The conversations that come about, and the questions they ask are almost always fun and interesting, and often require that I do some more digging to better understand things myself.

Oh this reminds me of one for sure. I got roped- kicking and screaming- into helping with our middle school youth group at church. Totally out of my comfort zone. First I was just supposed to be extra help on site and I was reluctant enough about that and sure enough as things go I ended up as small group leader for the girls being in charge of 10 of them every week. 

I thought I’d be terrible at it and I still kind of think I was but they were just so open and ready for anything. They were funny and ridiculous and sweet. I would dread it every week but then leave all warm and fuzzy with my bucket all filled up for the week in a way I haven’t in a long time. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Terabith said:

Sushi. . . .  I really love it.  I enjoy a much wider assortment of fish when raw than I do cooked.  

I am the same, and it baffles me. Cook the fish, and I want nothing to do with most of it. Leave it raw and it’s delicious.

i also refused to try guacamole until I was in college. It just looked gross, I guess. Now I love it.

I really had to work myself up to going to the gym a couple years back. I hadn’t been to a gym since college and was very self-conscious. Now I love it.

• Like 1

Brown goat cheese (brunost) from Norway. I definitely hesitated trying it when I first lived in Norway. It comes in a block, and it's sweet and softer than other cheeses. I was told that it tastes a little like peanut butter and it sticks to the roof of your mouth. They eat it on flat bread, normal bread, waffles, and often they will add a dollup of jam on top. I got totally hooked on it, though. I can sometimes find it in the grocery store in Canada. When I do it never lasts long. My dc have become fans as well. 

DSC_2233 - Baltzersens

Poutine (french fries with cheese curds and brown gravy) from Quebec. It looks pretty gross, but I was lured in with Poutine Italienne which uses red sauce rather than brown. It was good, and it was the bridge to me eating regular poutine. 

image.jpeg.6899d2570c251fc59077ac8fe693c5de.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ottakee said:

You can come visit.  I am actually about 10 minutes from the lake but I love morni by a and eveni bf a there.  I am just not a bake in the sun person so don’t like the beach on the heat of afternoon.

I live about 1-1.5 hours away from it and we don't get there enough.  I want to be closer.  10 minutes sounds perfect.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, popmom said:

Cruising. I know several people who absolutely love cruises. I just can’t imagine myself on a ship with 1000+ people everywhere and an “itinerary”. Plus I’m chicken. Scared I’d get seasick or get norovirus. 

Still, recently I’ve been looking at some cruise lines and wondering… 

Me too.  I get motion sickness a ton, so I sure I would be miserable.  I am scared I would be trapped on the ship for a week super sick. I get sea sick on ferry rides.  But it just sounds so convenient. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Yes. Like peanut butter and jelly.... I've never tried it, but it sounds horrible. 

I like - very savoury - Marmite on a buttered oatmeal cookie/biscuit though.

Eta yes, cruising doesn't sound in the least fun.

12 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I’m convinced I’d hate Las Vegas even though I’ve never been there. 

45 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Me too.  I get motion sickness a ton, so I sure I would be miserable.  I am scared I would be trapped on the ship for a week super sick. I get sea sick on ferry rides.  But it just sounds so convenient. 

Cruising and Vegas, yep. We've been through Vegas and had no desire to do anymore than that. 

And even less desire for cruising. I want all my time at the destination not on a stupid boat. 

I also get motion sickness incredibly easy. Last time we took the kids to Six Flags I got seriously motion sick on the rides in the baby section. It is such an unpleasant feeling .

I don't like being on the water, really any water. 

At this point, I feel like we've traveled enough that I have an idea of what I find enjoyable. Time and money are too short to waste on things I won't enjoy (or would enjoy considerably less).

For some reason people that like cruises tend to be evangelical about it. I'm a pretty cheap person but that wouldn't be worth it. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, easypeasy said:

I usually try to not knock things before I've tried them... in general.

But raw-fish-based sushi is just a hard pass from me. Zero desire to try it. I love cucumber or avocado sushi, though!

Also - oysters. Just - nope! Nevergonnatryit.

Ew! I agree. I tried clams on the shell once (are they steamed? I don't know but I don't think they're raw) and the texture was disgusting. Having never tried oysters or mussels I know I won't like them because of having tried clams. No slimy things on a shell please.

I also won't try tuna steaks because I know they're close to raw as well. I love fish as long as it's cooked all the way through. 

8 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Teenagers.

Oh yes me too! I was a teacher in my previous life and I always thought I wanted to teach young ones (I did one year of middle school and...nope!). When I moved back home to Florida after teaching elementary ages in Georgia for 5 years the only opening I found was at the local high school. I thought I didn't like teenagers as people. After all, I was a teenager once and wouldn't have liked me if I was an adult lol. I figured I'd take the job as a way to get my foot in the door and keep checking the job postings for openings at elementary schools. I would apply for any an all that came up. To my surprise I found I liked working with teens. You could have actual conversations with them. There was none of that "he looked at me!" "she touched my book!" that comes with teaching little ones. I still like young children but I did stop looking for an elementary job and stayed at the high school for 15 years, until ds was born and I became a sahm.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Ew! I agree. I tried clams on the shell once (are they steamed? I don't know but I don't think they're raw) and the texture was disgusting. Having never tried oysters or mussels I know I won't like them because of having tried clams. No slimy things on a shell please.

Mussels are actually quite different, and much better in my opinion, than clams. I love clam chowder, but if there are actual pieces of clam in it I probably won't eat the clam/rubber. 😉 

I've only ever had canned, smoked oysters, which I'm sure are not the best way to eat them. I'm willing to try them done another, much better way. I've seen on TV the kind that you just slide down your throat, and it seems like a weird way to eat really expensive food. Do people actually want to avoid tasting it, but feel pressured to consume them for some reason? 😅

Edited by wintermom

Spam, Pepto Bismol, and Branson, MO. Didn’t think Krispy Kreme donuts would be worth the hype, but they are delicious!

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

The midwest.

Now that I've been it turns out it's fine. No plans to move there though.

Lol, and I’d never live anywhere else—well maybe Idaho for some unknown, bizarre reason. What part of the country are you from? I am convinced I wouldn’t like living in the Southwest. Or Florida. Or Texas. Or California. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Teenagers.

I vastly prefer teenagers and knew I'd be bad at teaching the youngest kids (pre-K).  This year due to staffing issues, I had to take a few Pre-K classes and I was right.  I don't like it and I am super bad at it.  

I have tried sushi and don't like the raw stuff.

I've been on cruises and it was okay.  Nothing I'm dying to repeat, except a cruise up the coast to Alaska.  That I want to do. 

I did a line-dancing class with my mother a million years ago.  It was fun but nothing amazing. 

I did a tap dance class a long time ago as well.  That was fun too and I'd be more likely to want to do that again.

I can't think of anything I thought I would actively hate that I ended up liking.  I can't think of too many things I am completely repelled by, but there are lots of things I'm just uninterested in.

Although some of the food suggestions on this thread might qualify if I knew more about what they were.  Isn't Marmite something really gross?  Or am I confusing it with Vegemite? 

I love sushi and Vegas, but I went to Vegas 25 years ago.

Several foods. Chicken feet, anything slimy. Snails. Eww.

Raising chickens.

Learning several languages, even if I love the language. I love Russian. Nope. Do you have any idea how many declensions they have?

Cruising.

Anything cold. Ice fishing, swimming in the wrong part of the ocean.

Running a marathon.

Anything involving my eyeballs. If I have to get shots to save my sight when I'm old I'm just going to go blind. I know no one would enjoy this, but I would rather go blind than have it done.

Growing up overseas as an ex-pat I was expected to eat anything (new or not, gross or not) set before me.  I learned to not ask what it was until after I had taken that first bite.  😉  I have eaten horse.  And monkey.  And sea urchin.  And raw fish.  And fish eggs.  And bird's nest soup.  And vegetables and fruits that I don't know the names of.  Some I liked.  Some I didn't like.  But I learned not to really show it.  (Though that backfired on me once when I was served bitter melon, which I personally hate with a passion, took the requisite bite without showing distaste and then was rewarded with a huge spoonful because they were so delighted that I "liked" it!)  But food is a way that people share their culture and I was taught to embrace that in new cultures.

I try to reserve judgment on whether I will like something or not until I've tried it.  Though I suppose with time you know things like if you dislike heights then you won't like bungee jumping. . . .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

Well, houses ON Lake Michigan are incredibly expensive with super high taxes….and are falling into the lake.   I love being 10 minutes away.

Well yeah, there is that. I'm not about to actually buy one. But it would be dreamy to live with that glorious view and to just slip out the door for a walk along the waterline any old time.

I have a dear friend who lives in St. Augustine, FL, and it's the same for her as for you. She lives just minutes from beautiful beaches. Since she doesn't live ON the beach, her home was actually affordable and she has no concerns about it collapsing. She's not real concerned about hurricanes, either. Close enough to enjoy the beach daily if she wants, but affordable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ema said:

Spam, Pepto Bismol, and Branson, MO. Didn’t think Krispy Kreme donuts would be worth the hype, but they are delicious!

Lol, and I’d never live anywhere else—well maybe Idaho for some unknown, bizarre reason. What part of the country are you from? I am convinced I wouldn’t like living in the Southwest. Or Florida. Or Texas. Or California. 

I grew up in the south, went to school in New England, live in the mid-Atlantic. I just had never even visited the "flyover" states for the most part for a very long time. Even as a teen when I took a big cross country trip, other than Chicago, we didn't do any midwestern stops or sights. But I have now! They're fine. 😉

• Like 2

NYC.
I lived in CT and PA for a total of like 21 years and only spent a couple of days in New York on school field trips. IDK why I think it's not for me. I mean, Boston or DC is fine as long as I'm not driving (and I'm definitely not!). But somehow NYC seems... over the top large and crowded and too much.

Thanks to PPs who have confirmed that I shouldn't bother with Vegas. 🙂