Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

I personally know 6 people who have tested positive either with a home rapid and / or PCR in the last week.  Mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated.  All seem to have really mild symptoms.  1 of them went to their doctor after testing positive at home and doctor said they didn’t need a PCR, that they have a cold. 🙄🙄🙄

• Confused 6
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, footballmom said:

I personally know 6 people who have tested positive either with a home rapid and / or PCR in the last week.  Mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated.  All seem to have really mild symptoms.  1 of them went to their doctor after testing positive at home and doctor said they didn’t need a PCR, that they have a cold. 🙄🙄🙄

How old? 

1 hour ago, KSera said:

How many days from exposure would that be then before he turned positive? We have two extended family members who were close contacts in the past week, and are wondering how comforted to be by a negative PCR at five days. The other one only just today had their PCR. One exposed seven days ago and one five days ago at this point. 

7 days from when his wife started symptoms. His work tested him Sunday with no symptoms. He started with symptoms yesterday so he got himself tested.  His work tested him again this morning. and it was positive.

With no symptoms, I would feel pretty comfortable with the negative.

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
I counted wrong. :)
  • Thanks 1

This sort of thing is going to happen more and more, further straining systems, even if every singe case is mild:

Paramedic service hit with 30 COVID-19 cases after off-duty gathering

All of their household contacts who work in hospitals will have to quarantine also - and there is a lot of inter-marriage between first responders and hospital workers EMS/Police/Fire/Nurses/MDs etc.

• Sad 18

2 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Is this that there aren't any cases they've sequenced, or they sequence every hospitalized person and none of them have it?

Mostly people in Australia at the moment who have Covid are younger, and have very mild symptoms. At least that is what we are being told. It is only nsw no longer testing to see what variant. Other states  still are

• Like 1

A cousin's wife tested positive for COVID today.  She is in her early 30's and was fully vaccinated.  Says she she feels like she has a mild cold.  The assumption is that it is Omicron because of local cases (but I don't know that has been determined for sure).  

3 hours ago, livetoread said:

College student daughter was scheduled for her booster at 11pm tonight. CVS called and cancelled an hour ago saying they didn't have the staff.

This happened to my dd also. She made her next appointment earlier in the day when they have more staff. Crazy.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/COVID-Variants.aspx
“Known Variants of Concern in California

As of December 15, 2021

Variant WHO Label Number of Cases Caused by Variant

B.1.617.2*

Delta 

B.1.1.529 Omicron  49

*Includes AY sublineages “

for my county https://covid19.sccgov.org/covid-19-variant-dashboard

“Known Variants of Concern in Santa Clara County

Variant WHO Label Number of Cases by Variant
B.1.617.2* Delta 13,036
B.1.1.529 Omicron 10

*Includes all AY sublineages

This dashboard is updated every Monday using data through the preceding Sunday. Please note that there is a lag in the data of up to a month or more due to the time required for laboratories to sequence and report variant cases to the Public Health Department.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/San-Francisco-case-rates-double-in-five-days-as-16720997.php

Case rates have doubled in San Francisco over just the past five days, almost certainly due to omicron spreading in the community, said Dr. Grant Colfax, head of the Department of Public Health. He said the city has now identified 32 omicron cases, but he expects there are many more.

The variant also is the likely source of a large COVID outbreak in Marin County,where more than half of the attendees at a holiday party became infected. At Stanford, nearly three-quarters of virus samples screened for variants in the past week appear to be omicron, said Dr. Ben Pinksy, director of the clinical virology laboratory, which does genomic sequencing for several Bay Area counties.

“It really picked up over the course of the last week. We went from very few to basically the majority being omicron,” Pinksy said. “I think nearly all of the cases will be omicron soon.””

@Roadrunner our state’s variant dashboard is lagging 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Mostly people in Australia at the moment who have Covid are younger, and have very mild symptoms. At least that is what we are being told. It is only nsw no longer testing to see what variant. Other states  still are

In SA we can do 13 per week.  With 198 cases today there’s no way we’re sequencing all of them.

3 hours ago, wathe said:

This sort of thing is going to happen more and more, further straining systems, even if every singe case is mild:

All of their household contacts who work in hospitals will have to quarantine also - and there is a lot of inter-marriage between first responders and hospital workers EMS/Police/Fire/Nurses/MDs etc.

Then they just start reducing quarantine requirements unfortunately, or at least that’s what’s happening here.

7 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Some of the positivity rates you guys are mentioning is terrifying. Ours is at its worst - 3.9%. Yes, more than doubled recently. I can’t imagine 22%+ positivity. 

We have been hovering at around 20% for a while - going a little above and then dipping a little below (21 yesterday).  We just had a big outbreak at our school district so I expect those numbers to increase by quite a bit.  Our little county hospital has been full for a while now.  100% of ICU beds are Covid patients and 1/3 of the hospital beds are Covid patients.  

Meanwhile, people in town are acting like nothing is happening.  Very few masks and lots of gatherings.  58% fully vaccinated.  I am the most worried about it in my own home and it causes so much stress because my adult kids are home and doing many things I consider risky to all of us and I'm the only one who cares.   I'm tired of being the Covid police and not feeling safe in my own home.  And I'm tired of being the bad guy all the time telling them that the fun things they want to do make me nervous and uncomfortable.  

• Sad 20

12 hours ago, wathe said:

Hospital staff sick calls for covid and manadatory quarantine are rising. How we are going to keep the place staffed is a legitimate concern.

Testing systems are strained - long wait-times, lengthening TAT, cannot keep centres adequately staffed..

Rapid tests are not easily available.  There are some free tests being distributed at pop-up sites.  People line up for hours, and supply runs out within 30 min.

It’s looking like this where I am too.  I’m currently quarantining after close contact at work last Friday. I was notified on Monday, booked PCR test immediately, the closest is Thursday, and I’ll get results after Christmas. But as of next week, I wouldn’t be eligible for a PCR test at all, since I am not in health care, or certain higher risk groups.  Everyone else will get rapid tests only. They are not being handed out to people anymore but will be saved for testing everyone with symptoms/exposure who is not eligible for PCR. I fully support prioritizing the testing, but I so wish they didn’t have to!    That’s how strained our testing capacity is.  Public health also announced rising hospitalization and health care & emergency services worker shortages due to illness and quarantine.

One good think is that numbers are rising slower, but I wonder if some of that is related to testing capacity? Some of it likely is also related to people responding and reducing contacts, though.  People are pretty community-minded here, and try to protect their neighbours.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Kassia said:

I am the most worried about it in my own home and it causes so much stress because my adult kids are home and doing many things I consider risky to all of us and I'm the only one who cares.   I'm tired of being the Covid police and not feeling safe in my own home.  And I'm tired of being the bad guy all the time telling them that the fun things they want to do make me nervous and uncomfortable.  

I so hear you on that.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, wathe said:

DH is expected to work even if members of our household are infected as long as he tests negative and doesn't have symptoms. 

• Sad 3

My county's positivity is 29.1%. Every day we're hearing of more vaccinated friends and colleagues getting sick and testing positive. The National Guard opened a mass testing site yesterday which shut down early because there was such great demand that lines of cars were blocking traffic. They're considering relocating to a site in the same central area so it's  accessible to underserved neighborhoods on all sides of the city, or opening multiple sites.

With such great need I think multiple sites make the most sense, and that everyone who comes through should get free masks and rapid tests. It's not complicated--we just need to prioritize caring about people and public health. A friend organized a diaper bank during the pandemic, and now they're giving out masks as well. I'm haunted by the request they got for masks from a single mom of 5 who just tested positive, and had 1 mask in the house. Our country has left people so terribly unsupported.

I have been heartened to read about NYC's Test and Trace Corps, which is offering free supplies and help with wages, hotel quarantine and utilities if needed. If people felt helped and supported by public health programs I think vaccine uptake and trust in government recommendations would be greater. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, Kassia said:

We have been hovering at around 20% for a while - going a little above and then dipping a little below (21 yesterday).  We just had a big outbreak at our school district so I expect those numbers to increase by quite a bit.  Our little county hospital has been full for a while now.  100% of ICU beds are Covid patients and 1/3 of the hospital beds are Covid patients.  

Meanwhile, people in town are acting like nothing is happening.  Very few masks and lots of gatherings.  58% fully vaccinated.  I am the most worried about it in my own home and it causes so much stress because my adult kids are home and doing many things I consider risky to all of us and I'm the only one who cares.   I'm tired of being the Covid police and not feeling safe in my own home.  And I'm tired of being the bad guy all the time telling them that the fun things they want to do make me nervous and uncomfortable.  

I feel the same. My husband won’t let our children be vaccinated, and his family is coming for Christmas after a travel indoor baseball tournament where they stayed in hotels and pictures showed no masks. We drove to get tests, but I doubt his sister’s family did. And their mom has cancer and is immunocomp. She’s okay with it, though. I’m not and have to go along with it all. 

Edited by KrisTom
  • Sad 12

13 hours ago, footballmom said:

If that’s a real story and not hyperbole and they are in the USA, they need to be reported to the medical board. I guarantee someone so cavalier about not following guidelines is being similarly lazy in many irresponsible ways. At the very least they need a vacation to re-evaluate career choices.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

DH is expected to work even if members of our household are infected as long as he tests negative and doesn't have symptoms. 

Everything got tightened up with Omicron a few weeks ago - even vaccinated household contact-of-contacts weren't allowed to work in vulnerable sectors(ie, if your kid was declared a close contact because there was a case at daycare, parents couldn't go to work at a hospital)

I think we will end up with a test-to-stay  strategy (daily RAT and asymptomatic for household contacts).  But we aren't there yet.

We have moved to test-to-stay for formal contacts where contact was discrete/limited, and for household contact-of-contacts, but not for household contacts of cases.  Yet.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 2

I still think that positivity rates alone are not what we should be looking at with Omicron. Last Saturday I posted about our local (highly vaccinated, highly masked) areas positivity rate spiking. But deaths and hospitalizations are down. I looked again today. Now cases are at a 121% increase which seems very alarming BUT deaths and hospitalizations are still a significant percent decrease. As I said before, it would be very interesting to see if death and hospitalizations are decreasing or increasing along with positivity in unvaccinated, unmasked areas but in my area I am reassured especially since my family is vaccinated, boosted and masked. 

(I am cautious but if it becomes mild, I am not going to continue to feel the same degree of alarm). 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, wathe said:

Everything got tightened up with Omicron a few weeks ago - even vaccinated household contact-of-contacts weren't allowed to work in vulnerable sectors(ie, if your kid was declared a close contact because there was a case at daycare, parents couldn't go to work at a hospital)

I think we will end up with a test-to-stay  strategy (daily RAT and asymptomatic for household contacts).  But we aren't there yet.

We have moved to test-to-stay for formal contacts where contact was discrete/limited, and for household contact-of-contacts, but not for household contacts of cases.  Yet.

I wish they were proactively testing HCWs. The only places that seem to do that are nursing homes.  

• Like 2

I can’t be certain it’s omicron specifically, but I think it’s a safe bet.

My sister tested positive today, from my niece who tested positive Sunday, the day they were notified of a close contact at school. Niece had already not been feeling great.
My sister had just gotten her booster this past Wednesday. She feels worse than the kids, but she doesn’t have a fever and they do.

• Sad 7

ETA: press release:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/232882/some-reduction-hospitalisation-omicron-delta-englandearly/

Omicron severity report:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/covid-19/report-50-severity-omicron/

There are some data on boosters but I can't see analysis.  This jumped out at me for people who only have two doses:

image.png.188312bee74510e6a477d8474fd07c2a.png

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, popmom said:

Just read that monoclonal antibodies are ineffective against Omicron. I don’t know why. Sorry if this has already been reported here—I was surprised to see that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/12/17/how-omicron-evades-natural-immunity-vaccination-and-monoclonal-antibody-treatments/?sh=2fbfd1c460e0

Basically (if I'm reading it right), most of the MAB treatments involve targetting specific receptors but Omicron itself has changes in those receptors which makes the antibody treatment not effective.  (This is a hugely simplified understanding of the science and someone can tell me if I made a complete hash out of boiling it down to the essentials or not.) 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, popmom said:

Just read that monoclonal antibodies are ineffective against Omicron. I don’t know why. Sorry if this has already been reported here—I was surprised to see that.

There is one left that appears to still work: sotrovimab. There won’t be anywhere even close to enough of it. I’m guessing they will need to have strict criteria for who gets it. since it has to be given early in the illness, before things take a serious turn, that does seem to make it really tricky to know who to use it with.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, KSera said:

There is one left that appears to still work: sotrovimab. There won’t be anywhere even close to enough of it. I’m guessing they will need to have strict criteria for who gets it. since it has to be given early in the illness, before things take a serious turn, that does seem to make it really tricky to know who to use it with.

For interest:

New Ontario Science table practice guidelines for covid therapeutics, including for Sotrovimab.  We don't actually have any in my region though, so moot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I hope this isn't going to be set aside just for antivaxxers, like MAB is in many places. I guess it depends on what they count as "high risk":

"Patients must test positive and be at high risk for progression to severe COVID-19, including hospitalization or death"

• Like 7

Just now, Corraleno said:

I hope this isn't going to be set aside just for antivaxxers, like MAB is in many places. I guess it depends on what they count as "high risk":

"Patients must test positive and be at high risk for progression to severe COVID-19, including hospitalization or death"

I hope so as well. My parents are fully vaxed and boostered, but I’m still very concerned about their outcomes if they were to get it. They are in their 80s and both would qualify as overweight. Without Covid though, neither has anything going on that would lead us to expect they don’t have many active years left to live. I feel like a lot of Covid deniers write off anyone in their 80s as “going to die soon anyway” which is unfair and definitely not pro life. 

• Like 17

4 hours ago, kbutton said:

Yeah- teacher here. As long as I’m vaccinated, I am expected to be at work even if covid is in my household. I took sick days to stay home with my kids, but not everyone had them to do so. They don’t quarantine anyone who is vaccinated unless you have symptoms and then test positive.

• Sad 6

3 hours ago, Katy said:

If that’s a real story and not hyperbole and they are in the USA, they need to be reported to the medical board. I guarantee someone so cavalier about not following guidelines is being similarly lazy in many irresponsible ways. At the very least they need a vacation to re-evaluate career choices.

It is in the US and as far as I know, not hyperbole.  My friend shared it with me after she brought her (rapid test) teen to their doctor. 

• Sad 3

The situation is exploding in Quebec.

6300 cases today, in a population of 8.6 million. (by my math that's 732 per million per day, it's not even doing the math to convert to the more standard metric of per hundred thousand per week, 'cos it's going to be huge).  And it's massive undercount, because testing systems are overwhelmed.

Hospitalizations in Quebec are up about 50% in the past week.

More than 5000 HCW are out sick or in quarantine.

Really, milder doesn't matter.  We will have system overwhelm due to volume alone.  This is almost a certainly at this point.

ETA this quote from the linked news article above, "Hospital capacity in the province is about a third of what it was at the beginning of the pandemic and before the fall, due to severe staff shortages, according to the provincial Health Ministry."  I don't know where the numbers are to support that statement, but CBC is generally reliable with its facts.

Edited by wathe
  • Sad 15

2 hours ago, KSera said:

I hope so as well. My parents are fully vaxed and boostered, but I’m still very concerned about their outcomes if they were to get it. They are in their 80s and both would qualify as overweight. Without Covid though, neither has anything going on that would lead us to expect they don’t have many active years left to live. I feel like a lot of Covid deniers write off anyone in their 80s as “going to die soon anyway” which is unfair and definitely not pro life. 

My husband's family just lost a distant relative to Covid-19. He was fully-vaccinated, but he also had co-morbidities.  Our local hospitals I've read are getting overwhelmed, and still people think it is a joke.  I am very worried if we need the hospital for another reason, that won't be an option for us.  And my mother-in-law has whipple surgery pushed back from 1/3 to 1/7 for her pancreatic cancer.  You cannot reach through to certain people.  They believe everyone is lying, and they wonder how we can have assurance this vaccine won't harm us later on.  I mean, I don't really truly know if it will have an effect on us later on.  So my husband and I are at odds over potentially vaccinating our children.  I really want to, but I admit I am scared and don't want to make a mistake that will haunt us later on.  We're both vaxxed, and I got boosted (he doesn't meet the timeline criteria).  I make the kids wear kf94 masks and filtered masks the rare times they are able to go indoors someplace.  It's just getting really old.  I am not ready to give up on life, but I expect an uptick in deaths from despair. This is just a really hard, depressing way to live. And I think some have chosen denial and skepticism to cope.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

9 hours ago, wathe said:

And now we have.

• Sad 3

11 hours ago, KrisTom said:

've read are getting overwhelmed, and still people think it is a joke.  I am very worried if we need the hospital for another reason, that won't be an option for us.  And my mother-in-law has whipple surgery pushed back from 1/3 to 1/7 for her pancreatic cancer.  You cannot reach through to certain people. 

What we’re doing to our healthcare workers is shameful, and it did/does/will effect all of us. 😔 

There’s a major shortage of ambulances in my county. Our (volunteer) fire departments aren’t like the TV shows with staffed paramedics, but they’re now responders to health emergencies. A few do happen to be certified EMTs, and most have first aid training, so they can do the very, very basic while waiting for an available rig with an available destination. After they drive from their work/homes to the station, man a truck, and then drive to the patient.

Good luck to us all.

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

13 hours ago, wathe said:

6300 cases today, in a population of 8.6 million. (by my math that's 732 per million per day, it's not even doing the math to convert to the more standard metric of per hundred thousand per week, 'cos it's going to be huge).  And it's massive undercount, because testing systems are overwhelmed.

Hospitalizations in Quebec are up about 50% in the past week.

More than 5000 HCW are out sick or in quarantine.

Really, milder doesn't matter.  We will have system overwhelm due to volume alone.  This is almost a certainly at this point.

ETA this quote from the linked news article above, "Hospital capacity in the province is about a third of what it was at the beginning of the pandemic and before the fall, due to severe staff shortages, according to the provincial Health Ministry."  I don't know where the numbers are to support that statement, but CBC is generally reliable with its facts.

The UK is starting to exceed 100,000 cases per day.  For a population of 67 million, that's 1,493 per million, per day.

• Sad 7

45 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

What we’re doing to our healthcare workers is shameful, and it did/does/will effect all of us. 😔 

There’s a major shortage of ambulances in my county. Our (volunteer) fire departments aren’t like the TV shows with staffed paramedics, but they’re now responders to health emergencies. A few do happen to be certified EMTs, and most have first aid training, so they can do the very, very basic while waiting for an available rig with an available destination. After they drive from their work/homes to the station, man a truck, and then drive to the patient.

Good luck to us all.

Our volunteer fire departments stopped responding to Covid positive calls last year, so if you have Covid or Covid like symptoms, you wait for an ambulance to show up.  My county, where I work, has been able to keep up. The longest wait might be 20 minutes.  But the counties bordering us rely on a mixture of paid and volunteer ambulances, and I listen to them page up for an hour for an ambulance.  If we all go down for 10 days with Covid, it’s going to be a disaster.  I expect it to change and if a HCW is asymptomatic they’re no longer quarantined.

• Sad 3

13 hours ago, wathe said:

6300 cases today, in a population of 8.6 million. (by my math that's 732 per million per day,

In Ontario the rate of rise of new cases appears to have decreased, and it has in NS too, which could be a good thing if it’s true, from people really limiting contacts.  A lot of social things got cancelled last week, and even more this week. It’s possible that Public Health actions can control the spread in a meaningful way, and that makes me a bit more hopeful than I was.  
It could also be resulting from limited testing capacity, though, and that we just can’t see the new cases. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TexasProud said:
  1. I guess I wonder as well since so many of the reports I have seen with it being mild and people self-testing, aren't there a bunch of omicron positives that are NOT being reported?

Not sure just on  omicron, but I know families where one tested positive and the rest of the family then got sick but none tested....so one positive test was likely 3-4 positive people.  Lots of that happening here...partly due to trying to get tested and partly due to culture that it isn't serious, no vaccines, etc.

• Like 5