Menu

Glitter - update - now felony!

TechWife

Who invented this stuff? It's gorgeous in certain lighting, but what a mess! It is my least favorite craft supply and I am usually very careful to avoid it. However, today I made snowballs by spraying adhesive to styrofoam balls and rolling them around in a bowl of glitter. They are drying on bamboo skewers. They look really cool!

A question for my fellow crafty people - Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the glitter from shedding off of the pretend snowballs? I am wondering if there is a sealant that I can use that won't dim the shine of the glitter. Any ideas?

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have heard glitter called the "devil's dandruff" 

anyway, it never goes away. I seriously feel sorry for every janitor in a school where glitter is used.

Christmas cards with glitter are immediately recycled in our house. I hope the recycling people don't hate me. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

It is not allowed in my house. Like seriously, I’m not kidding. My girls are fine for never having it to craft with at home. 

Same. I told DD I'd buy her all the glitter glue she wanted, but we were getting rid of the glitter. 

Also, it's bad for the environment. 

Another vote that glitter is absolute evil. It's the worst. I once knew someone who inhaled some and got sick. She was hoarse for MONTHS from that glitter.

As for how to keep it from shedding, the only way is to encase whatever it is in carbonite. Or, you know, a lot of mod podge or something along those lines.

• Like 2

Okay, I saw the thread title "Glitter" and got excited.  It has been a long day and the first thing that popped into my head was the glitter and waxing story from long ago.  Was really hoping for a it to be a thread that had me doubled over in laughter!

Alas, I have no advice regarding glitter.  I banned it from the house years ago.  That stuff keeps showing up forever!

• Haha 2

My youngest has a pair of crocs that are glittery.  Like the glitter is inside the plastic.  Glitter still gets everywhere she walks.  

They're still utterly fabulous though.  

I know it gets everywhere and is terrible for the environment, but I am on team pro-glitter.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

shudder

(I have no advice)

It was actually the tidiest glitter project I have ever been part of because there wasn’t any loose glitter — it all stayed in the bowl. Now the bowl has a lid on it and once I’m sure I don’t need more, I’ll find someone unsuspecting to take it from me. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Annie G said:

I’ve used mod podge, and it works well. Usually a few coats. It does take some of the glitter off when you apply the mod podge, but not enough to matter. 

I wonder if I could dilute some mod podge and put it in a spray bottle. I just can’t imagine brushing over glitter and having it end well! 

I really don’t know why I thought this was a good idea. Someone stop me if I mention it again! 

6 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I wonder if I could dilute some mod podge and put it in a spray bottle. I just can’t imagine brushing over glitter and having it end well! 

I really don’t know why I thought this was a good idea. Someone stop me if I mention it again! 

My daughter HATES glitter but one of her girls loves it and she’s been known to use a strong hairspray on her projects. But I bet a spray poly would work just fine. I used mod podge water resistant kind because I was adding fine glitter  to painted rocks to leave along the bike path. You probably don’t care about weatherproofing you’re project. Hope you find an easy solution…or that you have a good vacuum cleaner. 🙂

• Like 1

My older daughter used glitter all the time growing up. We did have a spray to seal projects, but I don't remember which one.  It was probably something I bought on the Dick Blick website. It may have been the fixative spray from when I used to do dry pastels, but I could be wrong. We used a cookie sheet or placemat to work on, and just washed it afterwards. I don't remember glitter being all that horrible. She had glitter glue she could use when ever she wanted, but the dry glitter was only allowed at the kitchen counter. Otherwise she would be pouring little cups of glitter for her toys to drink (I could totally see her Littlest Pet Shops drinking pink glitter LOL)  If some dropped somewhere it wasn't supposed to be, I used a strong lint roller to pick it up. I imagine we have probably 20 colors in the craft cupboards in those little shakers (like a salt shaker). 

This isn't what we used but it looks like it was designed for this purpose!

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tap said:

My older daughter used glitter all the time growing up. We did have a spray to seal projects, but I don't remember which one.  It was probably something I bought on the Dick Blick website. It may have been the fixative spray from when I used to do dry pastels, but I could be wrong. We used a cookie sheet or placemat to work on, and just washed it afterwards. I don't remember glitter being all that horrible. She had glitter glue she could use when ever she wanted, but the dry glitter was only allowed at the kitchen counter. Otherwise she would be pouring little cups of glitter for her toys to drink (I could totally see her Littlest Pet Shops drinking pink glitter LOL)  If some dropped somewhere it wasn't supposed to be, I used a strong lint roller to pick it up. I imagine we have probably 20 colors in the craft cupboards in those little shakers (like a salt shaker). 

This isn't what we used but it looks like it was designed for this purpose!

I have found this in stock locally so I'll pick some up this afternoon. I'll let you all know the results. I am not sure if it will work since they are styrofoam balls and spray paint often melts that, but it's worth a try. Thank you.

• Like 1

• TechWife changed the title to Glitter - update with pic

I sealed the snowballs with Rustoleum Glitter Sealer. I think it took a bit of the glimmer  away but it did the job for the most part - they are shedding very little now. 

I tried to upload a picture but wasn’t able to - I might work on that later, or not! 

• Like 6

• TechWife changed the title to Glitter - update

My dh's folks bought our crafty daughter a Glitterator.
Last week, he suggested our son buy one for his niece (daughter of crafty daughter).
No glitter stays where it was applied.  
Glitterator was quickly donated to Goodwill. 
There's one for sale on Ebay right now.
Here's a youtube commercial for it:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/16/2021 at 7:29 PM, cintinative said:

I have heard glitter called the "devil's dandruff" 

anyway, it never goes away. I seriously feel sorry for every janitor in a school where glitter is used.

Christmas cards with glitter are immediately recycled in our house. I hope the recycling people don't hate me. 

We call it the herpes of the craft world in my craft groups. DD loves it. I use a UV sealant of it is going to be outside or exposed to sunlight ( near a window).  Otherwise, I use the spray stuff in the stain aisle.  It does not let the glitter come off. 

They have a wonderful environmentally friendly glitter for those who want it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beth S said:

Last week, he suggested our son buy one for his niece (daughter of crafty daughter).

I have a new word now - glitteriffic. I just have to decide if it’s a good word or a not so good word. I’m leaning towards the latter. 

Also, I am very sorry for your glitterator experience - just one bump of the dome and it would shoot glitter all over the room. Good job on the donation! 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Y'all - I had to revisit this because...

Throwing glitter on someone during an argument is a felony!!

Specifically, in this case, the charge is "felony burglary with assault or battery." So I guess this is the assault piece of the charge!

There was glitter in the front seat of the car - evidence!!

https://www.wfla.com/news/pinellas-county/glitter-thrown-at-man-during-clearwater-argument-leads-to-felony-charges-for-2-women-police/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

I wish there were more details on the backstory there!  Like what would piss someone off so badly that they would show up at a guy's apartment at 3 AM, climb over the railing on his balcony, get into his apartment, and bombard him with multiple containers of glitter? I wonder if they were both dating him and they just found out about each other. They sure do look pleased with themselves in the mugshots, lol.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I wish there were more details on the backstory there!  Like what would piss someone off so badly that they would show up at a guy's apartment at 3 AM, climb over the railing on his balcony, get into his apartment, and bombard him with multiple containers of glitter? I wonder if they were both dating him and they just found out about each other. They sure do look pleased with themselves in the mugshots, lol.

The mugshots are awesome! I wonder how this is going to make it through a trial without everyone cracking up laughing. Oh - please let it go to trial - like you, I want the backstory. 
I have so many questions. Not just relational history with the guy, but did they have that much glitter on hand? Who came up with the idea? What made them decide on 3am? So many questions.

• Like 4

• TechWife changed the title to Glitter - update - now felony!

Just so you know, fake snow flakes are also evil says the woman who dipped 100 silk white carnations in thinned out mod podge then in a container of the stuff then had to shake off the excess to created the ice/snow effect for a wedding followed by 100 white rose buds, and underestimated the time involved ad well as the continued clean up three years later thus under charging the bride and family by a significant amount for the horror endured. For what it is worth, when your stylist can't get it off your scalp and completely out of your hair, it makes a pretty effect in your French twist on the day of said wedding which looks deliberate, and produces many compliments, but for sure, get it out of your eyebrows and eyelashes before it dries. 

😁

• Haha 12

On 8/21/2021 at 5:32 PM, Beth S said:

Pretty sure that should be classified as a weapon of mass destruction.

19 hours ago, TechWife said:

Y'all - I had to revisit this because...

Throwing glitter on someone during an argument is a felony!!

Specifically, in this case, the charge is "felony burglary with assault or battery." So I guess this is the assault piece of the charge!

There was glitter in the front seat of the car - evidence!!

https://www.wfla.com/news/pinellas-county/glitter-thrown-at-man-during-clearwater-argument-leads-to-felony-charges-for-2-women-police/

Oh, Florida.

2 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

There's a scrapbooking/crafting mystery series I read recently where the main character uses a container of glitter to fend off an attacker :). 

You can't say that without sharing the series!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

It's the Kiki Lowenstein mystery series by Joanna Campbell Slan-the protagonist owns/runs a craft store. If you have Kindle Unlimited, the entire series is available there. They're enjoyable if you like the Cosy genre. 

Thank you! A bunch of the authors that I read already released books recently so I am running out. I am working through a different mystery series but will need one when I am done. Romantic suspense is my first choice but I also enjoy the cozy mysteries, especially if they are humorous. I love the Hopeless for instance.

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Thank you! A bunch of the authors that I read already released books recently so I am running out. I am working through a different mystery series but will need one when I am done. Romantic suspense is my first choice but I also enjoy the cozy mysteries, especially if they are humorous. I love the Hopeless for instance.

This one has a lot of books, and then there's a spin off series focused on a side character, too. 

• Like 1

I made 'snowballs' for my winter themed tree.

glass balls, sprayed with white paint, then sprinkled glitter on it.  I had a large piece of construction/heavy paper so I could reuse excess glitter.

After they were dry, I would shake them off (over the paper) to remove loose excess glitter.

If you want, you can spray a shiny/semi clear coat on top.  Multiple light coats would be more effective and look better than one heavy coat.

snowball.jpg

eta: I first made my winter tree at least 25 years ago, so some of these balls are that old. still sparkle.

I also did spruce cones.  I did a (very small) eye screw into the end, sprayed clear coat/adhesive and sprinkled glitter.  Let dry. I actually get more glitter bleed from them than the balls. (my balls have no clear coat.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Dh is from banking.  I was telling him they should use glitter instead of red-dye in the bait/dummy packs.  

yeah, the red dye pack explodes, and the red dye gets everywhere - but glitter is forever . . . 

and as Mark Rober said, when he went after some phone scammers (ended up working with police, all the way up to Homeland Security.  He got a "supervisor" in the US), the only way she could get rid of the glitter - was to burn her clothes and car (she opened the glitter bomb in her car) to the ground.

On 8/16/2021 at 4:22 PM, Tanaqui said:

Glitter is terrible for the environment. You should ban it from your home on conservation grounds.

There is such a thing as biodegradable glitter.

That's what Mark Rober uses in his glitter bombs.