Menu

Your mail delivery

Kareni

Your mail delivery (my first poll)  

81 members have voted

1. 1. When is your mail generally delivered?

• Before noon
    • Between 12:00 and 4:00pm
    • After 4:00pm
    • We do not have home delivery.
  2. 2. What is the latest your mail has been delivered?

• Before noon
    • Between 12:00 and 2:00pm
    • Between 2:00 and 4:00pm
    • Between 4:00 and 6:00pm
    • Between 6:00 and 8:00pm
    • After 8:00pm

There are 2 different people that cover our route, so delivery time depends on who's running it. One of the mail carriers lives in our neighborhood, so mail gets delivered here right before her lunch break. The other carrier tends to deliver around 4pm. 

I did get mail once or twice before around 8pm.  It was holiday season. 

• Like 1

We have three regular mail carriers as I live in a condo. One tends to come before lunch, the other two tends to come before 4pm. They go back to the mail center by 5:30pm. 

We also have a mail carrier that delivers only large parcels. When the regular mail carrier is not working, the mail carrier that only does parcels might help deliver the mail at around 6pm. It’s unusual for us to get mail after 6:30pm. 

During holiday season, our mail still comes at the usual time. We just get two or three USPS vans with only parcels daily, including Sundays for Amazon deliveries.

• Like 1

We usually get mail between 3 & 4 pm but it depends on who is delivering. If it isn't here by 5:30, it will be delivered tomorrow. No one works overtime--you are out of luck if you were waiting on something. (But all packages will show delivered.)

• Like 1

Ours has come as early as 11:00 (ish) and as late as 8:00 (ish). The most normal time range is between 2:00 and 4:00. Last week one day it was here around noon and another day it was after 8:00. It's very weird to have that much variation in delivery times in the same week.

• Like 1

I can’t really say, because we can have multiple “deliveries” a day.  There are two sets of group mailboxes in our community that often take multiple car loads and multiple mail carriers to fill. I can’t always predict when mine will be done.  They usually start on the group mine is in around 11ish. During the holiday season, they can be going past dark.

• Like 1

Just putting a mention in here that (where I live at least) you can sign up with the USPS for “informed delivery,” which emails you pictures of what is arriving in your mail that day. I only learned about this recently and signed up. It’s very helpful for me because I live down a long driveway and sometimes my mailbox falls open. The contents have blown out a couple of times. But at least I know if an important piece of mail is arriving. 

To answer the original question, it usually comes between 12 and 4. Once in a great while it may be later than that but not typically. 

• Like 3

Ours is late morning/early afternoon.  We also use USPS informed delivery, which is very helpful since our mail carrier makes a lot of mistakes. 

The only time ours comes really late is around Christmas.  I assume that it's a sub doing it during that time?  

• Like 2

Our main USPS delivery person makes 2 runs. The first run is for package pickup and delivery. The 2nd is for mail in the mailbox. She's says it's faster to do it in 2 runs because we have a couple of eBayers in our neighborhood and she's usually picking up dozens of packages from them. Our mailbox delivery is usually about 4:00. The other delivery person makes only one run and we get our packages and mail about 3:00. During the holidays and Christmas, all bets are off. Mail delivery is usually around 6pm or later at Christmas.

• Like 1

Our USPS mail used to be delivered by mid afternoon at the latest.

Lately (last 3-4 months or so), it gets here about 5/5:15. I don't know if something changed about the route or what. The delivery person is still the same person. 

When it was a substitute, no telling when it would get here. 

• Like 1

We are dead last on the route, typically around 6 PM but sometimes as early as 4 and occasionally as late as 8:30. It's earlier on Saturdays. We have also not had packages picked up on the day they were supposed to, and packages marked "out for delivery" not arrive that day.

I think USPS has not kept up with population growth in my area. The county has approximately quintupled in 50 years.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kareni said:

Our mail is frequently delivered after 4:00pm. What about yours?

Tonight our mail arrived at 8:15pm. This is NOT the latest it has been delivered, but it's close. Do you ever have such late delivery?

Regards,

Kareni

UPS has sometimes come that late here, but not USPS. 

I wonder if your carrier has an unusual shift time, or maybe had a vehicle break down or something like that and the delivery was delayed. 

Otherwise if starting at a typical IME l 7am type start that would be an incredibly long postal carrier day!  Especially as it is not holiday season. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

We live in a new subdivision so we have cluster mailboxes. They're not even on our street but on the street behind us so I don't usually see the mail truck and have no idea what time it comes. I have Informed Delivery so I can see what we get, but unless there's something important in our box we check it about every other day. If a package is small enough it either gets stuffed into our small box or put in a parcel locker within the cluster (the key is left in our mailbox). When it comes to larger packages that have to be delivered I haven't really paid attention to a difference in time between USPS. UPS, or FedEx. I think it's as follows: FedEx comes latest, but I think USPS is usually here before 2. UPS is all over the place but rarely after 4, and FedEx packages have come as late as 8pm.

At our previous house the time changed over the 20 years we lived there. When we first moved there in 2000 it came around 11am. We thought that was great because the neighborhood we just left got mail delivery around 5pm. The delivery gradually changed and for years it was coming around 2pm. It changed again the last few years we lived there, and by the time we moved in May of this year it was coming around 5pm, sometimes as late aa 6pm. USPS packages would sometimes come from our carrier and sometimes from a different driver. They arrived as late as 8 pm if it was a different dirver.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I can't answer. Ours time varies. We are not on a regular route, so we are picked up by drivers who want OT. If no one wants it, then it is forced on someone at the end of their day. We may have early delivery, or after 5. I don't notice what time it comes day to day.  We know we get late delivery sometimes because we will find mail the next day, that was delivered the day prior. (Informed delivery tells us what to expect).

• Like 1

It was hard to answer the poll because it is usually between 11 and 1.  But I also noticed that in the last few years, sometimes there is an additional delivery for packages and that could be anytime.  WE have had it as late as 5.  UPS is usually in the afternoon.   Fedex is all over the place= sometimes morning and sometimes up to around 8 pm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I wonder if your carrier has an unusual shift time, or maybe had a vehicle break down or something like that and the delivery was delayed. 

Regarding our 8:15pm delivery: We've wondered about a late shift, too, as late mail delivery is by far our norm.

We had another unusual experience last week as well. On Wednesday, we received no mail at all which is not unknown. Our mail arrived Thursday around 2:00pm which was incredibly early for us. Then, at 6:00ish, I heard mail arrive. I thought it might be a neighbor dropping off a misdirected piece of mail; however, the mailman had delivered mail. I asked about the earlier mail. He said it had gotten too late the previous day to deliver the mail, so that had been delivered a day late. Thus two mail deliveries in one day!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Regarding our 8:15pm delivery: We've wondered about a late shift, too, as late mail delivery is by far our norm.

We had another unusual experience last week as well. On Wednesday, we received no mail at all which is not unknown. Our mail arrived Thursday around 2:00pm which was incredibly early for us. Then, at 6:00ish, I heard mail arrive. I thought it might be a neighbor dropping off a misdirected piece of mail; however, the mailman had delivered mail. I asked about the earlier mail. He said it had gotten too late the previous day to deliver the mail, so that had been delivered a day late. Thus two mail deliveries in one day!

Regards,

Kareni

I have been told by postal employees here, that they are no longer allowed to use OT to deliver mail on their own routes. That if they can't get all the mail delivered on one day, they are supposed to save it and deliver it the next. Quite honestly, unless you are the person waiting for something (LOL), it really does make sense on paper. It has to be hard for the carrier to have double work another day, especially collating deliveries from two days into one. The frustrating thing to me, is when packages/letters are marked as delivered according to tracking information, but they aren't delivered for a few days. We don't know if they were misrouted, or are still coming. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Regards,

Kareni

I wonder if it matters if you are having deliveries from an area’s main hub PO which is open long hours at least processing mail in back even if counter has closed  . Rather than from a peripheral PO with shorter hours that anything is happening. 

• Like 1

I answered for our regular mail delivery not packages that come separately.   Ours usually comes around 2pm but packages can arrive all day up to 9pm.   

I know some people on our particular delivery route have been complaining about getting delivery only a couple times a week lately.  We haven't had that problem but we have centralized mailboxes so they can do 100 houses in one quick shot.  

• Like 1

Ours varies greatly from day-to-day.  Often it is after 4:00pm but sometimes it s by 10:30am.  That is if the mail makes it to us.  In the past 10 days I have found mail for a neighbor three doors down in my flower bed, a few days later there was mail in the road in front of my house for someone a block away, then the following day mail was put in my box for an address two miles away (nothing similar about the address except the name of the town and the first digits of the zip, Name did not even start with the same letters), and then on Friday I found mail in my front yard that was for another STATE!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

Our mail arrived Thursday around 2:00pm which was incredibly early for us. Then, at 6:00ish, I heard mail arrive. ... Thus two mail deliveries in one day!

Yes, when mail delivery runs late, they just quit for the day & start the next morning wherever they left off. When they are done with the previous day's mail, they go back & pick up the current day's mail & start that route. @TapHere, they do not collate the mail together, they just do the route again with the new mail. For some reason, this does not get them crazy behind. I don't know why -- perhaps they call in extra help.

• Like 1

A new record which I don't expect to be surpassed anytime soon. Yesterday's mail was delivered at 8:58pm!

I commented to the letter carrier that she was out late. She replied that she doesn't stop until the mail has been delivered.  Which doesn't explain my conversation with the other carrier -- 

"We had another unusual experience last week as well. On Wednesday, we received no mail at all which is not unknown. Our mail arrived Thursday around 2:00pm which was incredibly early for us. Then, at 6:00ish, I heard mail arrive. I thought it might be a neighbor dropping off a misdirected piece of mail; however, the mailman had delivered mail. I asked about the earlier mail. He said it had gotten too late the previous day to deliver the mail, so that had been delivered a day late. Thus two mail deliveries in one day!"

Regards,

Kareni