Menu

Personal covid experiences

Terabith

11 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I've done that. DD4 just... misses 😕 . Also, after the first puke, she gets extremely nervous and starts clutching it as soon as she feels in any way off, and in this way becomes the girl who cried puke... it's hard to know whether to believe her about when she's feeling ill, since she's not reliable. 

She's my drama queen child, for what it's worth 😉. Very bright but temperamental. 

That sounds multi-faceted, lol! You have my sympathies on the struggle. 

I'm on week 4.  Week 3, I felt pretty much fine.  I needed a short nap daily but really was fine. Decorated the trees, resumed school etc.  Then last Friday I started to have my heart race and feel light-headed and then Saturday night and Sunday I had the exact same headache that I had when this started. I do not normally get many headaches and this is a super strange one. So much pressure.   My heart rate elevates just from going up the stairs. I spent today doing more resting but you know how sitting around makes you feel foggy and worse almost? I'm not sure it really helped.  But I do suspect I pushed myself too much in week 3. 

Edited by busymama7
  • Sad 18

1 hour ago, busymama7 said:

I'm on week 4.  Week 3, I felt pretty much fine.  I needed a short nap daily but really was fine. Decorated the trees, resumed school etc.  Then last Friday I started to have my heart race and feel light-headed and then Saturday night and Sunday I had the exact same headache that I had when this started. I do not normally get many headaches and this is a super strange one. So much pressure.   My heart rate elevates just from going up the stairs. I spent today doing more resting but you know how sitting around makes you feel foggy and worse almost? I'm not sure it really helped.  But I do suspect I pushed myself too much in week 3. 

Ugh. I’m sorry to hear you still have symptoms. What do the headaches feel like?

Try to rest up and take it easy... this is such an odd disease.

So, in the theme of sharing kid puke stories (totally unrelated to the thread but fun in a mom-gross-story-way).....

When my kids were little, we kept a plastic bin next to the tub that was filled with a bunch of small tub toys - Happy Meal handouts, action figures, small dolls, etc. They both loved toys in their tub. Probably had 20 - 25 in there.

Ds got the stomach flu. Wasn't real good at catching the signs, so we worked with him about listening to his body & either using the bucket next to his bed (which he hated doing), or to make it to the bathroom toilet next to his room.

Well, he chose the latter option during one bout. Only he didn't quite make it to the toilet. Instead, he barfed into & all over the entire bin of toys.

I was going to throw them out, but he became very upset (those were his toys, after all). So I cleaned them. All. Of. Them. I won't go into the details but it qualifies as one of the grossest things I've had to do as a mom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Ugh. I’m sorry to hear you still have symptoms. What do the headaches feel like?

Try to rest up and take it easy... this is such an odd disease.

All over and lots of pressure.  They aren't there all the time but when they are bad they are BAD.  Yesterday it was like just under the surface like it was going to get bad at any moment but it didn't.   

Thank you.  

• Sad 7

14 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think they have kept to document updated though - last update was 30/11 unless it’s changed in the last week.

what is the Ivermectin dosage and frequency for initial treatment and prophylaxis in the document you have? 

14 hours ago, kand said:

I'm a bit alarmed that people may be self-medicating with animal ivermectin. The animal formulations haven't been tested in people, so certainly people who are unsure about the safety of getting a Covid vaccine should be concerned about taking a medication formulation that has never been tested in humans. As I've said before, it would be awesome for so many reasons if ivermectin is helpful, but jumping straight to taking animal meds seems really risky. It's usually dosed once a year when given to people, so the idea of weekly is worrisome if. It's not benign either. An overdose has many possible side effects, and there are a lot of dog breeds that have a genetic mutation that makes ivermectin toxic to them, and I have no idea if some people might have similar issues. Anyway, I keep seeing people suggesting self medicating with ivermectin, and since animal formulas would be the only over the counter way of doing that, that is concerning to me.

This is sort of what I was going to ask.  There is a current murder case in AZ where the wife gave the husband fish ivermectin and killed him.  I don't know the dose, etc.

But my hesitation for ivermectin is several of the dogs I have owned in the past had behavioral reactions to that and I don't need behavioral reactions for myself or dh.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kand said:

I'm a bit alarmed that people may be self-medicating with animal ivermectin. The animal formulations haven't been tested in people, so certainly people who are unsure about the safety of getting a Covid vaccine should be concerned about taking a medication formulation that has never been tested in humans. As I've said before, it would be awesome for so many reasons if ivermectin is helpful, but jumping straight to taking animal meds seems really risky. It's usually dosed once a year when given to people, so the idea of weekly is worrisome if. It's not benign either. An overdose has many possible side effects, and there are a lot of dog breeds that have a genetic mutation that makes ivermectin toxic to them, and I have no idea if some people might have similar issues. Anyway, I keep seeing people suggesting self medicating with ivermectin, and since animal formulas would be the only over the counter way of doing that, that is concerning to me.

yes!!!

Don’t self medicate with animal Ivermectin !

I think Tractor Supply etc removed it from

shelves/stores - or at least did so in some locations - and probably same for other similar stores

So harder to just go get it otc and use the animal stuff for humans

But also I hear now causing difficulties in getting it for animals who need it 

• Like 1

Since people are sharing puke stories, I will share the worst one I heard. My friend's two boys shared a room. The boy in a top bunk got sick.  There was a fan on the floor, facing up, Top bunk boy leans over and barfs into fan.  Vomit is on ceiling, curtains, everything.  I swear, this wins the "just no" award.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Since people are sharing puke stories, I will share the worst one I heard. My friend's two boys shared a room. The boy in a top bunk got sick.  There was a fan on the floor, facing up, Top bunk boy leans over and barfs into fan.  Vomit is on ceiling, curtains, everything.  I swear, this wins the "just no" award.

Oh wow.  How absolutely horrible.

16 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Aaaaaah!! This is going to give me nightmares, lol. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cintinative said:

That's when you just give up and call one of those after disaster clean up companies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

This is sort of what I was going to ask.  There is a current murder case in AZ where the wife gave the husband fish ivermectin and killed him.  I don't know the dose, etc.

But my hesitation for ivermectin is several of the dogs I have owned in the past had behavioral reactions to that and I don't need behavioral reactions for myself or dh.

The AZ case was chloroquine, not ivermectin.

Trying to self-medicate with animal wormer is totally NUTS, and it's crazy that stores are having to take it off their shelves to keep people from doing that. 🤦‍♀️

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2020 at 10:04 AM, AmandaVT said:

Vermont isn't allowed to pod anymore - we have been told no multi household gatherings, at all. 

Meanwhile, in Florida, our governor has unmasked events with crowds of people, my facebook is FULL of photos of people hanging out with friends, traveling, bowling (hey - no mask if you buy a drink - don't need to mask if you are eating and drinking, grin!), a "planet obstacle" indoor theme park - no masks again because hey - they serve pizza, etc etc. 

Plus of course raiding the data scientist's house with guns drawn, and then even bothering to seize the router that supposedly is why they ended up at her house. They claim they tracked a message sent to the DOH employees to her house via the router. But didn't take the router, didn't take any electronics at all other than her laptop and phone - not her husbands, etc. And anyone near enough to jump on her wifi could have sent it.

On 12/6/2020 at 8:21 PM, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, we've had stomach bugs. Everyone in the family gets sick 😞 . 

same. I used to try REALLY HARD to not spread it, but it never worked. 

On 12/6/2020 at 9:12 PM, Matryoshka said:

I consistently managed to keep stomach bugs to the person who brought it home.  

I never had it spread beyond the first person, and I never had a stomach bug last in anyone more than 24 hours with this protocol, 3 kids very close in age over their entire childhoods.

yeah...mine puke everywhere. 

On 12/6/2020 at 9:31 PM, Not_a_Number said:

How did you have your toddlers use a puke bucket?? My 4 year old threw up in the clean laundry bin once... 🤮

All my children have thrown ON ME. At that point, i'm contaminated. 

I also was wiping their diarrhea butts, etc so in the bathroom with them, cleaning up the puke, etc. 

I'd change clothes and wash every time I was exposd all day, and still end up spreading/getting it. 

23 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Ds reports feeling “better”, but that isn’t saying a whole lot. As of yesterday, his cough was still rough.  He’s not eating much, and said it took him 2 days to drink a Gatorade. He managed a sandwich today.  I offered to have protein drinks delivered, but he says that’s too sweet for him to want right now.

I think he’s on about Day 10 of symptoms.

You can order chicken soup flavored protein powder, but easier faster would be some cream of chicken soup made with fairlife high protein milk. 

16 hours ago, kand said:

I'm a bit alarmed that people may be self-medicating with animal ivermectin. The animal formulations haven't been tested in people, so certainly people who are unsure about the safety of getting a Covid vaccine should be concerned about taking a medication formulation that has never been tested in humans. 

Meh...animal meds are the same as human meds, minus any inactive ingredients. I've been known to take them many many times when I worked in a vet office. So did every vet I've ever known. Dog amoxicillin is the same as cat amoxicillin is the same as human amoxicillin, etc. Heck, I'm currently treating the start of a fungal infection in my belly button (loose skin from weight loss plus sweat..sigh) using antifungal/antibacterial wipes made for dog paws, lol. 

That said, wormers often do have other ingredients. And you need to know how to figure out the dosage and given most random people's ability to do math....yeah. There's your problem.

13 hours ago, busymama7 said:

Have you been monitoring pulse ox? If it continues please see a cardiologist as well. 

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

B

It wasn't ivermectin, and they overdosed. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, kand said:

Right. And the dosing isn’t even the same based on weight. My dog and my dd are both on levothyroxine. The dog weighs half what my dd does, but her dosage is way astronomically higher. The vet explained that dogs have to be dosed at a much higher rate. I could see people not taking that into account. Never mind trying to do the math to take the appropriate amount of horse paste. 

Yup. Same with a lot of drugs.For instance dogs take 1mg per pound of benedryl - for a 75 lb dog thats three tablets, up to three times a day. A human adult who is 200 pounds takes only 25-50 mg. 

I've taken entire courses on drug dosage calculations, so am confident doing that - in veterinary medicine you are dosing multiple species, each of which gets different mgs/kg, using various formulations. The average person hasn't done that.  Plus we kept an updated copy of the Physicians Desk Reference in the vet clinic just so the vet could dose herself, lol. (nowadays we would just use the internet to look up dosages). 

But yeah, the problem is in figuring the dosage, not that animal ivermectin is different in some way than human ivermectin, or whatever drug. 

• Like 3

I canceled my endoscopy because we are back around 10% positivity , and everything I read was that endoscopy is a high risk covid  wise. I'll revisit the idea when health care workers are vaccinated. It was more routine than anything, I do have GERD but nothing urgent. I'd have liked to get it done, so we could decide how important it is to fix my hiatal hernia, if I should look at converting to bypass, etc...but that can wait. Not worth the risk. (and I was scheduled for afternoon,s o other patients would have been in the room before me, open mouthed, etc)

• Sad 5

47 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Have you been monitoring pulse ox? If it continues please see a cardiologist as well.  

Yes and counting manually. (I am a midwife and very comfortable counting heart rate ).  I am asking my primary care dr today for thoughts and/or a referral.  Today has been fine except for when I came upstairs and it jumped to 130 for a bit until I sat for a while. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 12/6/2020 at 7:40 PM, MoyaPechal said:

Almost 9 months later, I still have shortness of breath that's getting a lot worse now that it's cold. I'm pretty sure I have lung damage and I made an appointment with a pulmonologist to get checked out. For context, I'm a 30yo with no risk factors aside from mild asthma that hasn't bothered me since high school, with the exception of needing an inhaler because of that jerk who violated the lease by filling our hallway with smoke.

My friend who died of pneumonia as a complication of the flu (in 2003-she was 34) also had asthma. It is evidently very scary for respiratory illnesses.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

But yeah, the problem is in figuring the dosage, not that animal ivermectin is different in some way than human ivermectin, or whatever drug. 

It's not just the active ingredient that is an issue, it's all the other stuff that's mixed with it. Human ivermectin is a small pill that is generally given as a single dose, whereas horse wormer is a large tube of paste (usually around 20 oz) that is less than 2% ivermectin and the other 98% is stuff like horse-palatable flavorings, preservatives, and additives like silicon dioxide. It's super cheap and widely available over the counter, and this is what I've seen people say they are taking for covid. Humans should not be taking that, even without the issue of correct dosage calculation.

• Like 4

According to the FDA, these are some of the potential side effects of ivermectin in humans:

"Some of the side-effects that may be associated with ivermectin include skin rash, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, facial or limb swelling, neurologic adverse events (dizziness, seizures, confusion), sudden drop in blood pressure, severe skin rash potentially requiring hospitalization, and liver injury (hepatitis). Laboratory test abnormalities include decrease in white cell count and elevated liver tests."

It can also exacerbate asthma, and can increase bleeding when combined with Warfarin. It passes through breastmilk, and it has caused birth defects in animals studies. Taking ivermectin under medical supervision is one thing, but self-medicating with horse wormer is not smart.

• Like 4

The 3 of us got tested late yesterday. No phone calls yet, but I just logged into the medical record of my 16 yo and the negative result has posted. For now we will all stay in our separate zones.  Even if my ex's test is negative we are going to treat it as a false negative, given the sudden loss of taste and smell along with his sore throat. He says he is feeling ok, but some pain in his legs when he is lying down.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

200 ug/kg for post exposure on day 1 and 3

200 ug/kg orally daily for symptomatic patients at home

most recent I have seen decreases recommended treatment to just the two doses 

Perhaps a physician would go with “daily” on an as needed basis, but it does not seem to be the General recommendation 

Table 5. I-MASK+ Prophylaxis & Early Outpatient
lvermectin
RECOMMENDED DOSING
0.2mg/kgx1doseonday1andday3

0.2 mg/kg* dose on day 1 and day 3, then one dose/month 0.2 mg/kg dose on day 1 and day 3

* Example for a person of 50 kg body weight: 50 kg × 0.15 mg = 7.5 mg (1 kg = 2.2 lbs)= 2.5 tablets (3mg/tablet). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

It's not just the active ingredient that is an issue, it's all the other stuff that's mixed with it. Human ivermectin is a small pill that is generally given as a single dose, whereas horse wormer is a large tube of paste (usually around 20 oz) that is less than 2% ivermectin and the other 98% is stuff like horse-palatable flavorings, preservatives, and additives like silicon dioxide. It's super cheap and widely available over the counter, and this is what I've seen people say they are taking for covid. Humans should not be taking that, even without the issue of correct dosage calculation.

That's why I said in my other post that the inactive ingredients are also an issue. The rest was me just talking about medications in general, not promoting horse wormer in particular. (although, full disclaimer, I've technically taken cat wormer - it's even the same flavor as human pinworm medication - They use the human stuff for cats is why. In that instance the only thing different was the label.)

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

According to the FDA, these are some of the potential side effects of ivermectin in humans:

"Some of the side-effects that may be associated with ivermectin include skin rash, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, facial or limb swelling, neurologic adverse events (dizziness, seizures, confusion), sudden drop in blood pressure, severe skin rash potentially requiring hospitalization, and liver injury (hepatitis). Laboratory test abnormalities include decrease in white cell count and elevated liver tests."

It can also exacerbate asthma, and can increase bleeding when combined with Warfarin. It passes through breastmilk, and it has caused birth defects in animals studies. Taking ivermectin under medical supervision is one thing, but self-medicating with horse wormer is not smart.

I'm not promoting ivermectin usage - I'm not sold that it works and have no idea how you source it short of my dog's heartworm product, which I am not saying people should take. 

Really, I got off topic, just saying that labeling it for animals doesn't in itself make it unsafe for humans. But it doesn't make it safe, either. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

My friend who died of pneumonia as a complication of the flu (in 2003-she was 34) also had asthma. It is evidently very scary for respiratory illnesses.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend!

I do come really close to getting pneumonia every time I forget to get the vaccine and catch the flu. I made an appointment with a pulmonologist for next week because going for a walk outside in the cold wrecked me yesterday and I had to take my inhaler twice, 2 hours apart, and it didn't even help all the way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

8 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Meh...animal meds are the same as human meds, minus any inactive ingredients. I've been known to take them many many times when I worked in a vet office. So did every vet I've ever known. Dog amoxicillin is the same as cat amoxicillin is the same as human amoxicillin, etc. Heck, I'm currently treating the start of a fungal infection in my belly button (loose skin from weight loss plus sweat..sigh) using antifungal/antibacterial wipes made for dog paws, lol. 

Guilty as charged. Canine Cough Dex tabs? The "big dog" dose works just fine for people. 🐶🤷‍♀️

I was prescribed Ivermectin and took it for over two weeks (many many years before Covid ever came on the scene).  It was the same as the animal pills but was not a paste.  I assume that it was the same as a pill that you would give a dog but in a dosage for a human.  It's pretty harsh on the body. 

I don't have a problem with people taking supplements to build up their immune system.  I've done that for years with varying degrees of success.  I do have a problem with people relying on those supplements as if it gives them some sort of immunity and license to ignore the need to mask and socially distance. 

I don't have a problem with people taking meds (even off label) IF prescribed by a doctor and under their supervision.  My doctors take my entire medical history into account - including drug interactions with other meds I am taking, other conditions that I have and allergies.  Someone self medicating because someone told them to on the internet is not going to have the expertise to monitor all of that. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

My cousin's wife (early 30s) tested positive last week. She went on to deliver a baby on Sunday (not covid-related, lol). Her symptoms seem mild from FB posts. Idk what precautions they must make for a positive mom and a brand new baby in the house. 

Wow, that’s a scenario I had not considered.  I hope mom and baby are both healthy!

Congrats on your newest family member.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

My cousin's wife (early 30s) tested positive last week. She went on to deliver a baby on Sunday (not covid-related, lol). Her symptoms seem mild from FB posts. Idk what precautions they must make for a positive mom and a brand new baby in the house. 

Breastfeeding.  Seriously. I hope she is because it is absolutely necessary.  She can practice good hygiene and such of course too but chances are the baby already has it and absolutely needs the covid specific antibodies through breastfeeding.   

• Like 1

Back in June my sis and BIL got covid and she still has no taste/smell and he still has lung damage. His symptoms are breathlessness, lightheadedness, and brain fog after something like singing. They never took covid precautions and are still not taking many, only masks where required. 

Local to us: two pastors have tested positive. One caught it from his elderly mom, and both have recovered as far as I know. The other is in the midst, as is his family and lots of members of the church. A couple of large homeschooling families we know have caught it, and all seem to have come through it within a couple weeks. 

• Sad 10

6 minutes ago, sangtarah said:

Back in June my sis and BIL got covid and she still has no taste/smell and he still has lung damage. His symptoms are breathlessness, lightheadedness, and brain fog after something like singing. They never took covid precautions and are still not taking many, only masks where required. 

Oh, I am sorry 😞 . How old are they? 

6 minutes ago, sangtarah said:

Local to us: two pastors have tested positive. One caught it from his elderly mom, and both have recovered as far as I know. The other is in the midst, as is his family and lots of members of the church. A couple of large homeschooling families we know have caught it, and all seem to have come through it within a couple weeks. 

Any idea how their symptoms are/were? 

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Congratulations! I hope they all have mild cases. 

My husband's work colleague got tested last week and it is negative, thank goodness.  My husband got tested and was negative, too.  The colleague had symptoms but I guess it turned out not to be covid this time around.  I don't know what to do about -- the possibility of a false negative, when workplaces are going off of testing -- but as nobody is sick it seems okay I guess.  

We are not seeing any family members though 😞 Just because -- the uncertainty is always there since he is working.  

Edit:  It took days for the result to come back for his colleague!  Like -- 4 days I think?  Ugh.  My husband was tested on his 6th day after exposure to her and got his result that night.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2020 at 6:58 PM, slackermom said:

The 3 of us got tested late yesterday. No phone calls yet, but I just logged into the medical record of my 16 yo and the negative result has posted. For now we will all stay in our separate zones.  Even if my ex's test is negative we are going to treat it as a false negative, given the sudden loss of taste and smell along with his sore throat. He says he is feeling ok, but some pain in his legs when he is lying down.

Update:

Ex tested positive. He was contacted by someone at the "Covid hotline" who gave him his results (approx. 48 hours post-test) and started the contact tracing process, and asked about his support network, and if he would need support services. 10 day isolation order given. Ex is feeling ok still, and says he is starting to smell and taste a little bit here and there today.

No word on my test yet, although I was 2 cars ahead of my ex at the drive thru testing.

My ex has been going up once a day to "take a quick peek" at our 16yo, opening the kid's bedroom door briefly with his mask on. I asked him not to continue this. He said he doesn't get to see our kid very often. I reminded him he has Covid. I am having to re-assess the plan of having the kid isolate there. He is an otherwise rational adult (an attorney even) so why do I have to tell him this?

Edited by slackermom
edited typos etc
  • Sad 10

My co worker’s dad has a long term dear friend who got Covid.  He has been in the hospital ICU for a couple of weeks.  In bad shape.  Yesterday my co worker told me his dads friend had rounded a corner....numbers were great, he was sitting up in a chair....they were happy he had beat it.  

Today I get the news he died last night!  

This man was around 60, in great health with no pre existing conditions.  

• Sad 28