Menu

Personal covid experiences

Terabith

Also, we could have infected our whole church. A few days before we found out we'd been exposed, our priest told everyone to stay home and not come to church. The next week the bishop shut down every church in the diocese until Pentecost. If we had gone to church without knowing we were exposed, we would have spread it to everyone, including the little old ladies and the man who usually sits behind us whose son is going through chemo.

Our church is open again but at 25% capacity with everyone 6 feet apart and wearing masks, including clergy. All Bible studies and groups have been moved to zoom.

41 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, we've had stomach bugs. Everyone in the family gets sick 😞 . 

I consistently managed to keep stomach bugs to the person who brought it home.  That person was required to sit/lay on a designated area of the sofa all day which was completely covered with towels.  They also had a designated bathroom that no one else used.  A puke bucket and more towels was given in case of not being able to make it to the bathroom.  No getting up, roaming about, or touching ANYTHING.  Sofa was in front of TV, no school that day, and everyone got to watch fun videos all day so sofa kid wasn't bored (other kids could be in room but not go in toweled area - norovirus not airborne).

After not puking for a few hours, sips of gatorade and nibbles of crackers could commence, and quantities could be upped unless puking recurred.  At the end of the day, all the towels plus the sheets on the bed were washed with bleach, and the designated bathroom washed down with bleach.  Kid had to remain on BRAT diet for an additional few days.

I never had it spread beyond the first person, and I never had a stomach bug last in anyone more than 24 hours with this protocol, 3 kids very close in age over their entire childhoods.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, MoyaPechal said:

Two former students of the school I used to work at caught covid and almost died. They were in the hospital for a month. 15yo and 16yo. Only one was high risk. The other was a big athlete. It was terrifying thinking that they were going to die alone in the hospital.

Oh my God. That's terrible. 

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

I consistently managed to keep stomach bugs to the person who brought it home.  That person was required to sit/lay on a designated area of the sofa all day which was completely covered with towels.  They also had a designated bathroom that no one else used.  A puke bucket and more towels was given in case of not being able to make it to the bathroom.  No getting up, roaming about, or touching ANYTHING.  Sofa was in front of TV, no school that day, and everyone got to watch fun videos all day so sofa kid wasn't bored (other kids could be in room but not go in toweled area - norovirus not airborne).

After not puking for a few hours, sips of gatorade and nibbles of crackers could commence, and quantities could be upped unless puking recurred.  At the end of the day, all the towels plus the sheets on the bed were washed with bleach, and the designated bathroom washed down with bleach.  Kid had to remain on BRAT diet for an additional few days.

I never had it spread beyond the first person, and I never had a stomach bug last in anyone more than 24 hours with this protocol, 3 kids very close in age over their entire childhoods.

Impressive. Perhaps we'll utilize this method once we have more than one bathroom and have kids big enough not to miss the puke bucket... 

11 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Impressive. Perhaps we'll utilize this method once we have more than one bathroom and have kids big enough not to miss the puke bucket... 

I had 3 kids in 2.5 years, and this worked even when they were toddlers!  

I do think we had the twins share the pukes twice when they were still babies, but... babies.  We (the adults) managed to avoid it, though.  I really hate to puke, lol.

More than one bathroom, though, might be key to this method...

13 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Oh my God. That's terrible. 

I think the biggie is bathroom separation. When we can do that, it makes a big difference in keeping the bug isolated.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, fairfarmhand said:

I think the biggie is bathroom separation. When we can do that, it makes a big difference in keeping the bug isolated.

I really want a second bathroom, lol. We ought to have one in the next place we move to... 

(There are downsides to always wanting to live in central neighborhoods, lol.) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I had 3 kids in 2.5 years, and this worked even when they were toddlers!  

I do think we had the twins share the pukes twice when they were still babies, but... babies.  We (the adults) managed to avoid it, though.  I really hate to puke, lol.

More than one bathroom, though, might be key to this method...

How did you have your toddlers use a puke bucket?? My 4 year old threw up in the clean laundry bin once... 🤮

Edited by Not_a_Number

8 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

How did you have your toddlers use a puke bucket?? My 4 year old threw up in the clean laundry bin once... 🤮

LOL, I think some kids aim better than others?  Even when little I never puked anywhere other than the toilet, but my brother managed to puke on a piece of my parents' furniture that was forevermore stained, like a memorial to the occurrence.  When small my kids, didn't always get to the toilet, but they could use a bucket...  I think it may be that some people can feel it coming on, and others seem to be totally surprised by the occurrence?  They'd be able to alert us when they started to feel weird.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

Just now, Matryoshka said:

LOL, I think some kids aim better than others?  Even when little I never puked anywhere other than the toilet, but my brother managed to puke on a piece of my parents' furniture that was forevermore stained.  When small my kids, didn't always get to the toilet, but they could use a bucket...  I think it may be that some people can feel it coming on, and others seem to be totally surprised by the occurrence?  They'd be able to alert us when they started to feel weird.

Yeah, that doesn't seem to work well enough for DD4. She has also puked all over herself in the car, sigh. She's getting better as she gets older, but she just throws up easily. 

4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, that doesn't seem to work well enough for DD4. She has also puked all over herself in the car, sigh. She's getting better as she gets older, but she just throws up easily. 

Yeah, some people just don't seem to have as good an early-warning system...  I'm not sure it's always even that much age-related.  I'd get MOM, I feel WEIRD!  and then come in and hold the bucket for them, and... sure enough.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I would not be doing this.  I know we want to stop this virus from spreading but we also don't want our entire society to break down.  If even people like me, who really wants everyone to effectively mask (and who has despaired that the USA hadn;t prioritized N95 masks production and distribution as part of the Emergency order back in March? April?_) and no large gatherings, etc, etc,   really cringes at the Orwelllian and Stasi overtones of such a draconian response.  I can't imagine that there would be a better response from all those COVID deniers and anti-vaccers.

They tried this in my county and it lasted for 2 days before they shut the line down. No agency actually wants to deal with following up on these reports. The line was full of people calling in both legit and dumb reports.

• Like 3

On 12/6/2020 at 6:44 PM, Matryoshka said:

Yeah, some people just don't seem to have as good an early-warning system...  I'm not sure it's always even that much age-related.  I'd get MOM, I feel WEIRD!  and then come in and hold the bucket for them, and... sure enough.

Famously, when ds was a preschooler he used his early-warning system time to come tell a sleeping me that he was about to throw up. Except by the time he made it to me he had used up his buffer and he vomited directly onto my face. My sleeping with my mouth open face. 

ETA: y’all with your sad emojis, don’t worry about me! This is actually a story that I tell for laughs. Ds is 18 and still hasn’t lived it down. 

Edited by sassenach
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6

I just got a notification that a kid on our swim team tested positive for COVID. They do not have any symptoms and have not been to the pool since before Thanksgiving. They will be quarantining for 14 days. 

I’m thankful that our COVID practice protocol was designed with the assumption that any kid could be positive at any time. Still, the cases are starting to hit closer and closer to home. 

• Sad 5

Long-time elderly friend (80's) of my mom's died of Covid a week ago. He was in the ICU for more than a week before he died and none of his 5 adult children were allowed to see him, nor were they able to be with him when he passed (Covid restrictions), although there were hospital staff with him.

I talked to my mom last night. All the kids have contacted her this past week; all are struggling greatly with not being able to be part of his care the last week of his life or while he was on his deathbed. 

Not all victims of this pandemic have or will get the virus.

• Sad 21

I just found out that a close relative's wife tested positive a few days ago. She lost her sense of taste/smell and got tested. She's pregnant and the baby is due in about six weeks. So far, other than loss of taste/smell, her only symptoms have been a bit of fatigue and nausea. She's not even running a fever. Hopefully it will stay very mild for her.

• Sad 14

20 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

I would not be doing this.  I know we want to stop this virus from spreading but we also don't want our entire society to break down.  If even people like me, who really wants everyone to effectively mask (and who has despaired that the USA hadn;t prioritized N95 masks production and distribution as part of the Emergency order back in March? April?_) and no large gatherings, etc, etc,   really cringes at the Orwelllian and Stasi overtones of such a draconian response.  I can't imagine that there would be a better response from all those COVID deniers and anti-vaccers.

I also think it is Orwellian, CCPian, whatever...

I feel queasy... like I am living in a dystopian world.  There’s a lack of rational sense. And then the “leaders” issuing the edicts are caught not following them, and/or only enforcing with certain types of people ... making it all the worse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Pen said:

And then the “leaders” issuing the edicts are caught not following them

I was taken aback when i saw this play out in California as well, recently. This kind of behavior is what leads to conspiracy theories. For e.g.: "Do these guys know something that we don't?"

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

I was taken aback when i saw this play out in California as well, recently. This kind of behavior is what leads to conspiracy theories. For e.g.: "Do these guys know something that we don't?"

Oh, I dunno. The conspiracy theories were there before...

Also, rich people have treatment options we don’t nowadays.

• Like 3

Ds reports feeling “better”, but that isn’t saying a whole lot. As of yesterday, his cough was still rough.  He’s not eating much, and said it took him 2 days to drink a Gatorade. He managed a sandwich today.  I offered to have protein drinks delivered, but he says that’s too sweet for him to want right now.

I think he’s on about Day 10 of symptoms.

• Sad 22

10 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Ds reports feeling “better”, but that isn’t saying a whole lot. As of yesterday, his cough was still rough.  He’s not eating much, and said it took him 2 days to drink a Gatorade. He managed a sandwich today.  I offered to have protein drinks delivered, but he says that’s too sweet for him to want right now.

I think he’s on about Day 10 of symptoms.

I hope he gets all better soon!

prayers

has he tried any “treatment” or “protocol” ?

I just heard something alarming from an acquaintance about a shared custody situation. 

Mom tested positive. Dad and daughter have a test scheduled. He asked to keep the daughter until their tests come back, but his ex wife is insisting that she have visitation this weekend even though she is contagious. 

CPS said they can’t do anything and the court said that if his daughter gets Covid and he can prove it came from her mom, they will give him a restraining order after the fact. 

I can’t even imagine. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 13

1 minute ago, Amy Gen said:

I just heard something alarming from an acquaintance about a shared custody situation. 

Mom tested positive. Dad and daughter have a test scheduled. He asked to keep the daughter until their tests come back, but his ex wife is insisting that she have visitation this weekend even though she is contagious. 

CPS said they can’t do anything and the court said that if his daughter gets Covid and he can prove it came from her mom, they will give him a restraining order after the fact. 

I can’t even imagine. 

Gross and selfish. Ugh. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Amy Gen said:

I can’t even imagine. 

2 hours ago, Pen said:

I hope he gets all better soon!

prayers

has he tried any “treatment” or “protocol” ?

Not really.  I sent him vitamins/supplements and an o2 meter because he really wasn’t doing anything. The medical guidance he received (NP) was to call back if his 02 went below 90.  So, yeah, I’m scared.

21 minutes ago, Amy Gen said:

I can’t even imagine. 

As much as I hate that my kid is so, so far away, I am grateful that we’ve aged out of custody agreements, especially since we lived in separate states.  I know with full certainty that this would have been an impossible nightmare with us.

• Sad 4

My 17yo nephew tested positive today after being notified of exposure at school.  Someone he works with also tested positive.  He saw my MIL and FIL 4 days ago and my SIL, his mom, was at their house unmasked yesterday.  MIL has cancer and FIL is not in good health.  They are 74yo.  BIL is a chiropractor, so hopefully if he has it masking at the office has kept him from passing it to any patients.  Ugh.  Now we play the worry and wait game over MIL and FIL.  

• Sad 13

Just now, StillJessica said:

My 17yo nephew tested positive today after being notified of exposure at school.  Someone he works with also tested positive.  He saw my MIL and FIL 4 days ago and my SIL, his mom, was at their house unmasked yesterday.  MIL has cancer and FIL is not in good health.  They are 74yo.  BIL is a chiropractor, so hopefully if he has it masking at the office has kept him from passing it to any patients.  Ugh.  Now we play the worry and wait game over MIL and FIL.  

Ugh. How stressful. Keep us updated 😞 . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pen said:

I feel queasy... like I am living in a dystopian world.  There’s a lack of rational sense. And then the “leaders” issuing the edicts are caught not following them, and/or only enforcing with certain types of people ... making it all the worse

Yes.  Like in England , ‘people of value’ do not need to quarantine when visiting.  only commoners of no value I guess.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/03/high-value-business-travellers-to-be-exempt-from-quarantine-in-england

Edited by matrips
Add link
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, matrips said:

Yes.  Like in England , ‘people of value’ do not need to quarantine when visiting.  only commoners of no value I guess.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/03/high-value-business-travellers-to-be-exempt-from-quarantine-in-england

I would guess part of the point of this is to keep the economy and the political sphere running, right? The optics aren't great, of course. 

On 12/7/2020 at 12:02 PM, Pen said:

I think many in the US have felt they were living in a dystopian country for the last four years, long before the pandemic. Is this happening in our state? The only thing I’ve seen in our state is leaders in the opposing party saying they will purposely defy some of the mandates and encourage others to do the same. Here’s just one example.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/11/clackamas-county-leader-plans-to-celebrate-thanksgiving-dinner-with-as-many-family-and-friends-as-i-can-find.html

I do know there have been issues in other states with leaders not following their own mandates.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Happy2BaMom said:

Long-time elderly friend (80's) of my mom's died of Covid a week ago. He was in the ICU for more than a week before he died and none of his 5 adult children were allowed to see him, nor were they able to be with him when he passed (Covid restrictions), although there were hospital staff with him.

I talked to my mom last night. All the kids have contacted her this past week; all are struggling greatly with not being able to be part of his care the last week of his life or while he was on his deathbed. 

Not all victims of this pandemic have or will get the virus.

I have come to the conclusion that we are all victims in this pandemic.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

Not really.  I sent him vitamins/supplements and an o2 meter because he really wasn’t doing anything. The medical guidance he received (NP) was to call back if his 02 went below 90.  So, yeah, I’m scared.

As much as I hate that my kid is so, so far away, I am grateful that we’ve aged out of custody agreements, especially since we lived in separate states.  I know with full certainty that this would have been an impossible nightmare with us.

take a look at the Paul Marik press release etc stuff ...   and/or have him look?   Ivermectin might be able to bring him out of it?

https://youtu.be/yXgaG5bgNdE

(I use more D than he recommends to be in normal range- I think Marik is in a more Southern sunny area, 

17 minutes ago, Pen said:

take a look at the Paul Marik press release etc stuff ...   and/or have him look?   Ivermectin might be able to bring him out of it?

https://youtu.be/yXgaG5bgNdE

(I use more D than he recommends to be in normal range- I think Marik is in a more Southern sunny area, 

Full text docs with the protocol here in case anyone wants them

https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/internal_medicine/EVMS_Critical_Care_COVID-19_Protocol.pdf

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

That’s the old MATH+

his new protocol is I-MASK

https://covid19criticalcare.com/i-mask-prophylaxis-treatment-protocol/

(And even I-MASK was just updated for monthly Ivermectin as prophylaxis (rather than weekly)  - dogs get it monthly for heartworm and I think it’s just yearly to prevent River Blindness so it must have long half life.) 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

There is nothing "Orwellian" about Gov. Brown's stay-at-home order, which does not include even the slightest suggestion that neighbors inform on each other.

If we're going to throw around words like "Orwellian" and "dystopian" and "Stasi," how about this story:

Florida scientist publishing coronavirus data says police seized her computer at gunpoint

Rebekah Jones, the former chief data scientist at Florida’s health department who said she was fired for refusing to manipulate Covid-19 data, said the police seized a computer she was using to publish a coronavirus data dashboard of her own. 

“At 8:30 am this morning, state police came into my house and took all my hardware and tech,” she said on Twitter. “They were serving a warrant on my computer after [the health department] filed a complaint. They pointed a gun in my face. They pointed guns at my kids.” 

Jones began been publishing state coronavirus data updates on her own website after she was fired in May for refusing to “manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen”. Florida’s official site undercounts the infection total and overcounts the number of people who are tested, to minimize the severity of the pandemic in the state, she has said.

“They took my phone and the computer I use every day to post the case numbers in Florida, and school cases for the entire country. They took evidence of corruption at the state level,” she said, adding that the state’s Republican governor Ron DeSantis “sent the gestapo.” 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 9

42 minutes ago, Pen said:

That’s the old MATH+

his new protocol is I-MASK

https://covid19criticalcare.com/i-mask-prophylaxis-treatment-protocol/

(And even I-MASK was just updated for monthly Ivermectin as prophylaxis (rather than weekly)  - dogs get it monthly for heartworm and I think it’s just yearly to prevent River Blindness so it must have long half life.) 

I think they have kept to document updated though - last update was 30/11 unless it’s changed in the last week.

32 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

There is nothing "Orwellian" about Gov. Brown's stay-at-home order, which does not include even the slightest suggestion that neighbors inform on each other.

If we're going to throw around words like "Orwellian" and "dystopian" and "Stasi," how about this story:

Florida scientist publishing coronavirus data says police seized her computer at gunpoint

Rebekah Jones, the former chief data scientist at Florida’s health department who said she was fired for refusing to manipulate Covid-19 data, said the police seized a computer she was using to publish a coronavirus data dashboard of her own. 

“At 8:30 am this morning, state police came into my house and took all my hardware and tech,” she said on Twitter. “They were serving a warrant on my computer after [the health department] filed a complaint. They pointed a gun in my face. They pointed guns at my kids.” 

Jones began been publishing state coronavirus data updates on her own website after she was fired in May for refusing to “manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen”. Florida’s official site undercounts the infection total and overcounts the number of people who are tested, to minimize the severity of the pandemic in the state, she has said.

“They took my phone and the computer I use every day to post the case numbers in Florida, and school cases for the entire country. They took evidence of corruption at the state level,” she said, adding that the state’s Republican governor Ron DeSantis “sent the gestapo.” 

Ok, that’s ridiculous.

On 12/6/2020 at 9:44 PM, Matryoshka said:

I think it's the warning system too. I have had kids who can't speak in full sentences figure it out after a couple of episodes because they can feel it coming on. 

One of my kids has NEVER had a stomach bug. Hard to believe, but true; he's also never really had a fever that is more than maybe 100 degrees, and I think he's only had one of those. His entire puking experience is migraines (starting at age 4). He's gotten better at identifying when they are coming on and taking ibuprofen. He used to not realize he had a migraine until he was seconds from puking. I have wondered if he'd know ahead of time or not. 

I think it also helps to just have the bucket within inches of the child at all times. If they are lying on the couch, the bucket is on the floor next to their head.

12 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I think it also helps to just have the bucket within inches of the child at all times. If they are lying on the couch, the bucket is on the floor next to their head.

I've done that. DD4 just... misses 😕 . Also, after the first puke, she gets extremely nervous and starts clutching it as soon as she feels in any way off, and in this way becomes the girl who cried puke... it's hard to know whether to believe her about when she's feeling ill, since she's not reliable. 

She's my drama queen child, for what it's worth 😉. Very bright but temperamental. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, kand said:

I'm a bit alarmed that people may be self-medicating with animal ivermectin. The animal formulations haven't been tested in people, so certainly people who are unsure about the safety of getting a Covid vaccine should be concerned about taking a medication formulation that has never been tested in humans. As I've said before, it would be awesome for so many reasons if ivermectin is helpful, but jumping straight to taking animal meds seems really risky. It's usually dosed once a year when given to people, so the idea of weekly is worrisome if. It's not benign either. An overdose has many possible side effects, and there are a lot of dog breeds that have a genetic mutation that makes ivermectin toxic to them, and I have no idea if some people might have similar issues. Anyway, I keep seeing people suggesting self medicating with ivermectin, and since animal formulas would be the only over the counter way of doing that, that is concerning to me.

Yeah, while I'm hoping that this medication helps, this really doesn't seem like a good way to go. (And I really need to see a study out of the Western world to feel confident it helps.) 

Did you all see the preliminary results on the antidepressant? Looked promising: 

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2773108

Edited by Not_a_Number