Menu

Personal covid experiences

Terabith

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

My co worker’s dad has a long term dear friend who got Covid.  He has been in the hospital ICU for a couple of weeks.  In bad shape.  Yesterday my co worker told me his dads friend had rounded a corner....numbers were great, he was sitting up in a chair....they were happy he had beat it.  

Today I get the news he died last night!  

This man was around 60, in great health with no pre existing conditions.  

Wow, that is so sad.  

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

My co worker’s dad has a long term dear friend who got Covid.  He has been in the hospital ICU for a couple of weeks.  In bad shape.  Yesterday my co worker told me his dads friend had rounded a corner....numbers were great, he was sitting up in a chair....they were happy he had beat it.  

Today I get the news he died last night!  

This man was around 60, in great health with no pre existing conditions.  

That's awful 😞 . I hate this disease. 

My 21 yr old just left to get tested 😞

His main symptom is headache - he wok up with it yesterday and still has it. His father had migraines, as did his grandma, but he has never had one and has never had a headache last this long. I could just be a sinus infection - our allergies are bad lately and he's bad about taking stuff for it. But he went camping Saturday night with 4 other people, and he was one of 2 that wore masks. He mostly slept outside, but did spend several hours in a tent with those unmasked people. They still have no symptoms, but all are of the age to most likely be asymptomatic anyway. 

He also slept almost 18 hours straight Tuesday night, which is unlike him. I know he was tired - he didn't sleep much camping and then worked Monday and Tuesday all day, but still. Unusual. 

He does have congestion but he's had congestion for a month at least, and has already done a Zpack for sinus infection lately. So that's not a red flag, but the headache and sleeping that long are enough he's going to go get tested. Likely will be a long wait but the results are the rapid version - 30 minutes. We both know there are false negatives though. He'll stay in his room and I'll have the kids use the ensuite bathroom in my bedroom for now. 

• Sad 14

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

My 21 yr old just left to get tested 😞

His main symptom is headache - he wok up with it yesterday and still has it. His father had migraines, as did his grandma, but he has never had one and has never had a headache last this long. I could just be a sinus infection - our allergies are bad lately and he's bad about taking stuff for it. But he went camping Saturday night with 4 other people, and he was one of 2 that wore masks. He mostly slept outside, but did spend several hours in a tent with those unmasked people. They still have no symptoms, but all are of the age to most likely be asymptomatic anyway. 

He also slept almost 18 hours straight Tuesday night, which is unlike him. I know he was tired - he didn't sleep much camping and then worked Monday and Tuesday all day, but still. Unusual. 

He does have congestion but he's had congestion for a month at least, and has already done a Zpack for sinus infection lately. So that's not a red flag, but the headache and sleeping that long are enough he's going to go get tested. Likely will be a long wait but the results are the rapid version - 30 minutes. We both know there are false negatives though. He'll stay in his room and I'll have the kids use the ensuite bathroom in my bedroom for now. 

Ugh. I hope it’s a false alarm 😞 

36 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Ugh. I hope it’s a false alarm 😞 

me too!

And he's the one who has a family history, on his dad's side, of autoimmune stuff, heart failure (his dad died of cardiomyopathy, his aunt got a heart transplant in time), etc. 

I'm trying to guess how accurate a test will be, if we assume he was exposed Saturday night? (but he also works outside the house, masked, but still..and he gets take out more frequently than the rest of us..still, saturday night seems most likely, if he does have it)

• Sad 4

My mom had a doctor-recommended test this morning because she’s had nausea and vomited a few times, plus she has a really bad headache.  She lives with my dad, who has had a liver transplant and is immunocompromised.  And she has been taking my 90yo grandfather to physical therapy.  I can’t help but worry about all of them now, as well as 86yo grandma that grandpa lives with.  And grandparents’ senior apartment building now has 3 COVID+ residents, adding to my worry.

This is on top of worrying about my ILs, one with cancer and the other with poor health, who were exposed to my COVID+ nephew late last week.  It’s going to be a long week hoping none of these vulnerable people have it.  

I’m kind of having a hard time focusing on getting things done right now.  

• Sad 14

My test was negative. No call from anyone yet, either about my test or about contact with my ex. I finally setup access to my own medical record online so I could peek at my labs. There is a record of my pcp sending a letter yesterday with the results. 

I have a no-contact grocery order in for tomorrow, and am adding extra things to the list so I can take some stuff to my ex. When I was taking his requests on the phone today, I took a few minutes to remind him of our child's medical vulnerabilities, and mine. Hopefully it sank in.

• Like 8

On 12/7/2020 at 6:33 PM, Corraleno said:

There is nothing "Orwellian" about Gov. Brown's stay-at-home order, which does not include even the slightest suggestion that neighbors inform on each other.

If we're going to throw around words like "Orwellian" and "dystopian" and "Stasi," how about this story:

Florida scientist publishing coronavirus data says police seized her computer at gunpoint

Rebekah Jones, the former chief data scientist at Florida’s health department who said she was fired for refusing to manipulate Covid-19 data, said the police seized a computer she was using to publish a coronavirus data dashboard of her own. 

“At 8:30 am this morning, state police came into my house and took all my hardware and tech,” she said on Twitter. “They were serving a warrant on my computer after [the health department] filed a complaint. They pointed a gun in my face. They pointed guns at my kids.” 

Jones began been publishing state coronavirus data updates on her own website after she was fired in May for refusing to “manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen”. Florida’s official site undercounts the infection total and overcounts the number of people who are tested, to minimize the severity of the pandemic in the state, she has said.

“They took my phone and the computer I use every day to post the case numbers in Florida, and school cases for the entire country. They took evidence of corruption at the state level,” she said, adding that the state’s Republican governor Ron DeSantis “sent the gestapo.” 

i guess we live in different worlds!

I personally find it Orwellian or CCP ian. Obviously your “felt” sense of it differs. That’s to be expected. And your sense of factual reality also differs! No surprise there either. Here are some searches for the sort of thing I experience in my life but obviously ymmv. 

Nov 20, 2020 — Kate Brown said she believes residents who know their ... the number of people allowed in your home at six, should call the police.
Missing: stay ‎| Must include: stay

image.jpeg.03e3695f22e5b2ebf4db5dd3cfedbbcf.jpeg

Nov 23, 2020 — Oregon Governor Kate Brown is encouraging residents to call the ... include limiting in-home gatherings to a maximum of six people .

Nov 21, 2020 — Kate Brown said she believes residents who know their ... the number of people allowed in your home at six, should call the police.
Missing: stay inform

Nov 25, 2020 — Don't call 911 to report your neighbors for violating COVID-19 regulations. Oregon law enforcement recommends calling their ...

Nov 19, 2020 — PORTLAND, Ore. – Oregon Governor Kate Brown rolled out new measures to help curb the spread of coronavirus on Wednesday, and Portland ...

The Non-Emergency number - 503-823-3333 - is appropriate for situations that are NOT an immediate threat to life or property. 

OUR NEIGHBORS FOR VIOLATING COVID-19 REGULATIONS

Oregon law enforcement recommends calling their non-emergency dispatch lines to report violations by individuals.

Author: KGW Staff, Hanna Merzbach
Published: 9:45 PM PST November 26, 2020

PORTLAND, Ore. — Oregon residents should not call 911 to report violations of Gov. Kate Brown’s two-week freeze. Various law enforcement offices recommend calling their non-emergency dispatch numbers instead. 

On Nov. 20, Brown said she believes residents who know their neighbors are violating the most recent round of COVID-19 protocols should call the police.These rules include capping groups at six people, from no more than two households.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“personal Covid experience “ also includes the lockdown milieu as well as actual sickness imo - and even includes experience of people on Wtm telling one that one’s local reality is not what one’s local news says it is. 

🤮

quite the rabbit hole  🤪

or its own Orwellian feeling right here!!!

Wtm has sure changed since when I first joined it. 😢

Edited by Pen
  • Thanks 3

DD2 who does have asthma had a negative COVID test earlier this week but thinks it is a false negative.  She also had 3 negative tests in March but the virus seemed a lot like COVID.  I am not sure of her symptoms though do know she is very fatigued.  I am going to be talking with her later today and hopefully will find out more.  Because if her only symptoms are fatigued and low fever, it is just as possible that she is having an autoimmune flare and not COVID.  I have been trying to get her to buy whole life insurance (which she does want to do) and then go to a rheumatologist,.  She used to go to a rheumatologist because she has already been diagnosed definitely with fibromyalgia and Raynaud's syndrome.  She also had high ANA as a teen and almost definitely has the same gene as I do-HLA-B27 since she had reactive arthritis as a kid after a cat scratch fever infection.  The old rheumatologist thought she probably has lupus but she has never had that diagnosis.  And that is why we need her to get a life insurance policy and then go to a new rheumatologist.  I can't get any life insurance except through my dh's work because of my diagnoses.

I did tell her that I wanted to know more so I can send a care package to her.

• Sad 4

11 hours ago, Pen said:

i guess we live in different worlds!

I personally find it Orwellian or CCP ian. Obviously your “felt” sense of it differs. That’s to be expected. And your sense of factual reality also differs! No surprise there either. Here are some searches for the sort of thing I experience in my life but obviously ymmv. 

There is nothing in the executive order that says anything about reporting neighbors, nor did Gov. Brown say anything of the sort in her speeches. All of those links quoted a single interview in which the interviewer asked leading questions and insisted on a "yes or no" answer to whether people should call police if they see people violating the order on gatherings. Brown said "This is no different than if there's a party down the street and it's keeping everyone up. What do neighbors do? They call law enforcement because it's too noisy. This is just like that, it's like a violation of a noise ordinance."  The governor was naive in allowing herself to be baited into that statement without realizing that it would be immediately spun as "Totalitarian dictator urges citizens to have neighbors arrested!"  

Note that the usual response to violating a noise ordinance is for the police to break up the party and send people home, no one gets arrested. If someone in your neighborhood calls police on a noisy party, would you normally compare them to the Soviet secret police? Are the students at DS's university (and I'm sure at many other universities) who report large parties that violate state and university rules against gatherings the equivalent of the Stasi? 

We live in a country where armed police raided the home of a scientist who criticized the governor for manipulating covid numbers, where prominent politicians and media personalities openly advocate for the inprisonment and even execution of political opponents, where the leader of the country demands that the verified, legal results of an election be thrown out in order for him to remain in power. There are plenty of things happening right now that look far more like totalitarianism than a governor being goaded into comparing restrictions on gatherings to noise ordinances.

I'm extremely grateful to live in a state that ranks 47th for per capita deaths, and I have no issue with the restrictions that have so far kept the death rate here lower than almost every other state in the US. So, yeah, I guess that we must be "living in different worlds" despite living in the same state.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

Ugh, we just can't seem to get this under control and more people seem to be losing patience. I have a friend who lost someone yesterday and another again today to Covid. Our state uses a color coding system and our mostly rural county is in the highest, most dangerous category for the second week in a row.

• Sad 9

On 12/7/2020 at 7:03 PM, StillJessica said:

My 17yo nephew tested positive today after being notified of exposure at school.  Someone he works with also tested positive.  He saw my MIL and FIL 4 days ago and my SIL, his mom, was at their house unmasked yesterday.  MIL has cancer and FIL is not in good health.  They are 74yo.  BIL is a chiropractor, so hopefully if he has it masking at the office has kept him from passing it to any patients.  Ugh.  Now we play the worry and wait game over MIL and FIL.  

Quoting myself to say that all of the in-laws tested negative!  What a huge relief!   Still quarantining, of course, in case of false negatives.

My mom is feeling better except for the headache, no results on her test yet.  Her neighbor is positive now; she’s a nurse who works on a COVID floor.  Mom didn’t know what her symptoms were or how sick she is. 

• Like 15

1 minute ago, StillJessica said:

Quoting myself to say that all of the in-laws tested negative!  What a huge relief!   Still quarantining, of course, in case of false negatives.

My mom is feeling better except for the headache, no results on her test yet.  Her neighbor is positive now; she’s a nurse who works on a COVID floor.  Mom didn’t know what her symptoms were or how sick she is. 

I hope your in-laws are genuinely negative and that your mom's neighbor has a very mild case.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Ugh, we just can't seem to get this under control and more people seem to be losing patience. I have a friend who lost someone yesterday and another again today to Covid. Our state uses a color coding system and our mostly rural county is in the highest, most dangerous category for the second week in a row.

I am sorry to hear this.

Our state is color-coded based on several factors. I think the definitions of some factors are short-sighted. They are looking at percentage increases (hospitalizations, ED visits, ICU beds, etc.) over a certain amount of time vs. over a baseline. So basically, if we have sustained high numbers, we don't have a big enough increase to make that factor trip our next stage. 

This doesn't mean that counties aren't hitting our highest category; it just makes the fact that any county hits these measurements beyond the pale. 

• Sad 1

I'm really angry. My mom has a friend she's known since I was a child. My mom's not very social, but she's told me how this friend has called her over the years to tell her all about her days out with her other friends. Mom's a bit hurt that she's never invited to any of these outings, but is staying home now anyway so it's not an issue right now. Mom's friend has been living her life as if there's not a pandemic going on. There's card games and family get togethers galore. At the last minute, the friend changed her Thanksgving plans to a slightly smaller event, which surprised us. 

Anyway, my dad is extremely high risk for Covid. He's 81 and has multiple health issues and Covid would likely kill him. Mom still goes to the store and we've talked her into going early in the morning only once a week and my son even sent her a grocery order trying to keep her home. We haven't had any family get togethers and she's been otherwise staying home for months. Earlier this year she needed two eye surgeries and there was one follow up doctor visit where the friend took her. This week, the friend called Mom and asked for a ride to the eye doctor. Mom felt obligated since the friend had done it for her. During the drive, the friend told her the scaled down Thanksgiving was because multiple people from her friend group are sick with Covid. She called my mom because she knew she barely left the house and would be safer than all the other people she's been hanging out with all year. So this "friend" has been having social get togethers with all kinds of people, including her kids and grandkids who are working, shopping, flying off on vacation, and getting together with both sides of the family and she asks my mom to drive her to the doctor? I swear if my parents get sick...

• Sad 28

3 hours ago, Corraleno said:

There is nothing in the executive order that says anything about reporting neighbors, nor did Gov. Brown say anything of the sort in her speeches. All of those links quoted a single interview in which the interviewer asked leading questions and insisted on a "yes or no" answer to whether people should call police if they see people violating the order on gatherings. Brown said "This is no different than if there's a party down the street and it's keeping everyone up. What do neighbors do? They call law enforcement because it's too noisy. This is just like that, it's like a violation of a noise ordinance."  The governor was naive in allowing herself to be baited into that statement without realizing that it would be immediately spun as "Totalitarian dictator urges citizens to have neighbors arrested!"  

Note that the usual response to violating a noise ordinance is for the police to break up the party and send people home, no one gets arrested. If someone in your neighborhood calls police on a noisy party, would you normally compare them to the Soviet secret police? Are the students at DS's university (and I'm sure at many other universities) who report large parties that violate state and university rules against gatherings the equivalent of the Stasi? 

We live in a country where armed police raided the home of a scientist who criticized the governor for manipulating covid numbers, where prominent politicians and media personalities openly advocate for the inprisonment and even execution of political opponents, where the leader of the country demands that the verified, legal results of an election be thrown out in order for him to remain in power. There are plenty of things happening right now that look far more like totalitarianism than a governor being goaded into comparing restrictions on gatherings to noise ordinances.

I'm extremely grateful to live in a state that ranks 47th for per capita deaths, and I have no issue with the restrictions that have so far kept the death rate here lower than almost every other state in the US. So, yeah, I guess that we must be "living in different worlds" despite living in the same state.

i heard it with my very own ears — Kate Brown herself saying to contact police same as for noise infractions.   No matter what you say/write - I heard it.   I am quite sure it was not a body double manufactured video from Russia. I Don’t  know what else to say other than that we seem to live in different realities. Full stop.

It may have been one thing over and over but surely if she was misrepresented she could have spoken up to say it was an error. It was frequently repeated people heard it . If an error, if leading questions, she could say so for herself. 

I am glad you live in a great state etc etc . 

one Orwellian experience does not negate another  Orwellian experience - 2 wrongs don’t make a right

good luck to you

i wish I could put you on “ignore” but alas your position as a moderator makes that impossible 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

FIL, whose nursing home roommate tested positive and was removed, is still testing negative.  They were living in the same room, unmasked.  I imagine the roommate caught it from a positive staff member (there are two, currently), who would have also probably treated FIL.  It’s so strange how this spreads.  Really hoping FIL stays negative.  It’s been a week, so far.

• Like 14

I heard today that an old family friend - he is near my dad’s age of 85 - is in a memory care facility that is shut down to visitors because of a Covid outbreak.  He tested positive for Covid, but never had symptoms.  After 2 weeks he is being allowed out of his room again.  I just wanted to put a positive outcome out there amongst all the sad/scary ones, especially regarding older patients.  I worry about my dad and in-laws all the time.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Pen said:

i heard it with my very own ears — Kate Brown herself saying to contact police same as for noise infractions.   No matter what you say/write - I heard it.   I am quite sure it was not a body double manufactured video from Russia. I Don’t  know what else to say other than that we seem to live in different realities. Full stop.

It may have been one thing over and over but surely if she was misrepresented she could have spoken up to say it was an error. It was frequently repeated people heard it . If an error, if leading questions, she could say so for herself. 

I am glad you live in a great state etc etc . 

one Orwellian experience does not negate another  Orwellian experience - 2 wrongs don’t make a right

good luck to you

i wish I could put you on “ignore” but alas your position as a moderator makes that impossible 

I'm not denying what she said in the interview — I also heard it with my own ears, because I watched the interview. The fact that her response to one question in one interview got amplified and repeated and spun over and over in certain media outlets does not change the fact that is was a single response to a single question from a single interviewer who was clearly fishing for that particular sound bite after quoting a statement from Fox News comparing Gov. Brown's order to slavery.

If that single comment makes you feel like you are living in a totalitarian dystopia, then I would suggest you don't know much about actual totalitarianism. I've heard enough first-hand stories from my FIL about life in East Germany to know that comparing that to Oregon is absurd hyperbole. If I don't like life in Oregon I can always leave — and I don't have to jump off a moving train, crawl under barbed wire, and lie in a ditch in the rain all night while police try to find and execute me. 

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I never denied that she said it — I also heard it with my own ears, because I watched the interview. The fact that her response to one question in one interview got amplified and repeated and spun over and over in certain media outlets does not change the fact that is was a single response to a single question from a single interviewer who was clearly fishing for that particular sound bite after quoting a statement from Fox News comparing Gov. Brown's order to slavery.

If that single comment makes you feel like you are living in a totalitarian dystopia, then I would suggest you don't know much about actual totalitarianism. I've heard enough first-hand stories from my FIL about life in East Germany to know that comparing that to Oregon is absurd hyperbole. If I don't like life in Oregon I can always leave — and I don't have to jump off a moving train, crawl under barbed wire, and lie in a ditch in the rain all night while police try to find and execute me. 

Since I am the person who started saying that these orders to report people disobeying the rules strikes me as a bit Orwellian or Stasi like,  I really object to your response to Pen,. If you all have a stupid governor who makes dumb answers like Yes, people should report violators, that is on the stupid governor.  No is saying we are now living in a completely totalitarian state.  What many of us are objecting to is the creeping towards this Orwellian world=where rules are for the common people, where you are supposed to call the police or at least hate on those who aren't following the rules, where '" the science" is held up as a god when those doing that don't even understand that the only way science ever moves forward is by questioning whatever scientific or other thinking is prevalent, where it seems that the powers that be have decided that certain industries and businesses are supposed to survive and others are supposed to die, etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

What many of us are objecting to is the creeping towards this Orwellian world=where rules are for the common people, where you are supposed to call the police or at least hate on those who aren't following the rules, where '" the science" is held up as a god when those doing that don't even understand that the only way science ever moves forward is by questioning whatever scientific or other thinking is prevalent.

Yeah, that's how science moves forward, as long as the people doing the questioning actually bother to learn the science. It doesn't move forward by people spreading conspiracy theories on the Internet. 

People DO call the police for misbehavior by other people. Should they not? What about something like noise infractions? 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Since I am the person who started saying that these orders to report people disobeying the rules strikes me as a bit Orwellian or Stasi like,  I really object to your response to Pen,. If you all have a stupid governor who makes dumb answers like Yes, people should report violators, that is on the stupid governor.  No is saying we are now living in a completely totalitarian state.  What many of us are objecting to is the creeping towards this Orwellian world=where rules are for the common people, where you are supposed to call the police or at least hate on those who aren't following the rules, where '" the science" is held up as a god when those doing that don't even understand that the only way science ever moves forward is by questioning whatever scientific or other thinking is prevalent, where it seems that the powers that be have decided that certain industries and businesses are supposed to survive and others are supposed to die, etc.

Since the death rate in Oregon is one of the lowest in the US, "stupid" is not a word I would use to describe either my governor or her policies. I would reserve that word for the people who are ignoring the mandates and spreading a deadly disease, as well as politicians who enable and even encourage that behavior.

ETA: referring to Brown's answer to a leading question in a single interview as an "order to report people" is also hyperbolic. There are no "orders" to report people.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

We don’t have a stupid Governor. As noted in other posts, our state has done very well relatively speaking compared to other states in stopping the spread of the virus. Our Governor has also not violated her own mandates, so it’s just grasping for criticism of her when people conflate her actions with those of the Governor of CA. I mean seriously, if people want to criticize leaders, why not look to those Governors who have done virtually nothing to try to control the spread of the virus in their states (e.g. SD with by far the highest per capita death rate in the country) or our president whose failed leadership will be a model of what not to do during a pandemic for centuries to come.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Frances said:

We don’t have a stupid Governor. As noted in other posts, our state has done very well relatively speaking compared to other states in stopping the spread of the virus. Our Governor has also not violated her own mandates, so it’s just grasping for criticism of her when people conflate her actions with those of the Governor of CA. I mean seriously, if people want to criticize leaders, why not look to those Governors who have done virtually nothing to try to control the spread of the virus in their states (e.g. SD with by far the highest per capita death rate in the country) or our president whose failed leadership will be a model of what not to do during a pandemic for centuries to come.

Exactly.

South Dakota: 47% positivity and 137 deaths per 100K.
Oregon: 6% positivity and 27 deaths per 100K.
Whose governor is stupid?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

Exactly.

South Dakota: 47% positivity and 137 deaths per 100K.
Oregon: 6% positivity and 27 deaths per 100K.
Whose governor is stupid?

The Oregon one because of what she said.  You think governors have everything to do with how many people die?????? Or how many people get it??????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

The Oregon one because of what she said.  You think governors have everything to do with how many people die?????? Or how many people get it??????

Yes, laws and communication by officials have quite a lot to do with how many people get it and therefore how many people die. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

They certainly have something to do with it. We’ve seen what a lack of leadership at the federal level has done. Do you think state leadership has no impact on the spread of the virus?

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/12/how-iowa-mishandled-coronavirus-pandemic/617252/

I have lots of family and friends in IA and they have all been unhappy with the lack of action on the part of their Governor, even though things have not gotten quite as bad as SD.

And besides being one of the better states for virus control, Oregon’s economy has held up well and revenue is expected to grow in the next biennium. Plus, we have a very healthy reserve fund. We are actually rated one of the top five states in the best position to weather the economic effects of the pandemic. While I don’t always agree with them on everything, overall I think our leadership has done quite well both before and during the pandemic. 

The bigger problem here is elected officials who disagree with the Governor’s mandates and defy them and encourage others to do the same. Here’s just one example.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/11/clackamas-county-leader-plans-to-celebrate-thanksgiving-dinner-with-as-many-family-and-friends-as-i-can-find.html

Given that my husband is a healthcare worker directly affected by the pandemic, personally I find this kind of selfishness and disregard for others reprehensible.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Why are we so horrified about reporting violators of laws/mandates?

Because some people are all about personal freedom, even if it means others suffer or die due to their actions. Personal freedom Trumps everything (pun intended). I mean if they are going to make us wear masks, the next thing you know we will have to wear shirts and shoes in restaurants. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Frances said:

Because some people are all about personal freedom, even if it means others suffer or die due to their actions. Personal freedom Trumps everything (pun intended). I mean if they are going to make us wear masks, the next thing you know we will have to wear shirts and shoes in restaurants. 

Or put our babies in car seats.  I mean, where will it end? 🙄

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, kand said:

I’m confused by this side conversation. Is there any indication she was talking about a family with 10 members vs talking about a frat house holding a party for 200? Is it shocking and wrong if someone calls to report a neighbor violating other kinds of laws, like blasting music all night? I’m not someone who’s going to call a neighbor for something like this (though I have multiple times called to report a driver who appeared to be impaired and was a danger to others—that actually might be a more analogous situation to someone holding a big party in the middle of a raging pandemic) 

No. It’s asking people to limit gatherings to their own household or if bringing in outside people, to limit the gathering size to six. And asking people to limit these types of mixings of household and if you do mix, then do it with the same group. A household with ten or even twenty members would be fine. Many of the comments on here such as asking children to report on parents are just hyperbole on the part of posters.

And it wasn’t just some arbitrary mandate made to make people suffer. It was done because indoor social gatherings were leading to virus spread.

• Like 7

My relative who was taken off his vent has continued to improve. His wife's COVID test came back negative, but she has seems like a really bad cold--there isn't anything that makes it seem specifically like COVID. 

This isn't personal to me, but I thought I'd post the link here since the thread is about personal COVID stories--it's kind of bittersweet. A man who recovered has chased down 116 people involved in his care to thank them. One of his doctors had died of COVID in the meantime. https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/09/health/covid-survivor-thanks-who-saved-him-trnd/index.html 

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Why are we so horrified about reporting violators of laws/mandates?

First of all, I know that in many, many areas of the country, there are more crimes than police can handle without minor laws or not even laws being flounted and reported.  Currently there is a shortage of police in many areas and there has been a rise of crimes recently.  We don't need the police getting even more work, especially as it isn't really their responsibility.  If you want health care investigators monitoring people with regards to COVID things, that at least is more appropriate.

Second of all, I don't think people should be calling police for mandates that aren't laws.  This is a site that has a definition of police powers. https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/police_powers#

Thirdly, the Stasi back before communism in East Germany collapsed and China currently use the population to spy upon people for violating laws and mandates,  This is not what I want our country following.  

And no, I am not about personal freedom to the point that some posters are implying.  I think that health departments are allowed to mandate mask wearing, for example.  But I am rightly horrified how some of these orders are nonsensical and against recommendations of Covid panel and also how favored industries and companies are exempt and small business are not.  Also how many politicians have flouted the rules they have made and while most were Democrats, the latest is a Rep Gov of Mississippi and I don't care if they are Dems or Reps.  Any official who violates the rules they set out is a horrible hypocrite.

• Like 2