Menu

Personal covid experiences

Terabith

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Last Saturday my oldest got a stomach bug and other flu like symptoms (fever, headache, body aches).  We took them to urgent care, where a covid test was negative, but then I came down with it on Thursday, too.  I figure odds are low but I went and got a covid test yesterday, just to be safe.  

Fingers crossed it's not COVID. Any idea where they could have picked it up, though?? 

6 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I wish were using a scalpel instead of a hacksaw. It’s heartbreaking to know that a business that has had zero transmissions and is doing everything right is going to close down. 

Yeah, that's be great, but it's not clear that's even possible at the state level. The best thing to do would probably be to simply shut bars and restaurants and pay for them to NOT operate, but states do not have the funds or incentives to do that. 

The "scalpel" solution is always sharp shutdown to get numbers down, then closing the most dangerous things and contact tracing the heck out of things. I don't think this was doable at the state level, either. So here we are. 

• Like 2

My ex probably has it. He has been having minor symptoms for about a week. Last night he called to say he had lost his sense of taste/smell. Our 16 yo is over at my ex's place now (at least kid's bedroom and bathroom is on a different floor from ex), and I am supposed to pickup today. I am nervous that I may have it too though, and am trying to figure out the best way to isolate everyone. I only have one bathroom here. And a sick cat. Ugh. 

Ex is supposed to get a call tomorrow about scheduling his covid test through the hospital in our pcp network.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 7

Just now, slackermom said:

My ex probably has it. He has been having minor symptoms for about a week. Last night he called to say he had lost his sense of taste/smell. Our 16 yo is over at my ex's place now (at least kid's bedroom and bathroom is on a different floor from ex), and I am supposed to pickup today. I am nervous that I may have it too though, and am trying to figure out the best way to isolate everyone. I only have one bathroom here. And a sick cat. Ugh. 

Ex is supposed to get a call tomorrow about scheduling his covid test through the hospital in our pcp network.

Yeah, I'd assume it's COVID if he lost his sense of taste/smell without being stuffed up. I'm sorry 😕 . 

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, I'd assume it's COVID if he lost his sense of taste/smell without being stuffed up. I'm sorry 😕 . 

Thanks. Yeah, no congestion. A cough and a sore throat. Labored breathing. 

I dropped off a pulse oximeter for him several days before the loss of smell happened, and told him to check his oxygen and temp twice a day.

Not enjoying joint custody in a pandemic.

• Sad 10

Just now, slackermom said:

Thanks. Yeah, no congestion. A cough and a sore throat. Labored breathing. 

I dropped off a pulse oximeter for him several days before the loss of smell happened, and told him to check his oxygen and temp twice a day.

Not enjoying joint custody in a pandemic.

Seems like a logistical nightmare in a pandemic 😞 . 

• Sad 1

My cousins in California had it a few months ago, happily not too ill and no side affects seemingly.  Here, hubby's home brew beer club switched from meeting in person monthly to weekly zoom meetings...good thing, since more than one member ended up with the virus AFTER the physical meetings stopped.  One daughter's boyfriend got sick after Thanksgiving - we had been around him...so stayed in quarantine until he got his negative test (he has a man cold).  Same daughter, who still lives at home, works in the local school district, and spend the week dealing with kids over her laptop.  Now the district is back on distance learning anyway ... if they try to resume hybrid in January I fear this daughter will be the one who brings "Rona home.

• Sad 2

56 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I think I fall on the other end from you. I know of at least 2 businesses that will probably not survive this round. I wish were using a scalpel instead of a hacksaw. It’s heartbreaking to know that a business that has had zero transmissions and is doing everything right is going to close down. 

I think I may be on both ends. How is that for confusing? 

We live downtown so the small business owners are all our friends and neighbors. Fortunately, our little pet store will be allowed to stay open because pet food is essential. 

I’m worried about our neighborhood bookstore though. They are so, so careful. The front door I’d physically barred when there are more than 2 customers in the shop. Everyone has to have a mask and sanitize their hands before entering. They even stayed closed for a few weeks when we first opened back up because they wanted to make sure it was safe for the community. I don’t know how they will survive a second lock down. 

I feel like a scalpel in the hands of an honest and skilled surgeon would be ideal. But instead, they are cutting out healthy tissue and allowing the cancer to spread. That is what has prompted my feelings that shutting everything down would be preferable. 

In other news, I knew that my 90 year old uncle died from a kidney infection this past week, but I just got the call that his 50 year old daughter died from COVID last night. 

This is the first death from COVID to hit my family, but I fear that it won’t be the last. 

• Sad 21

2 minutes ago, Amy Gen said:

In other news, I knew that my 90 year old uncle died from a kidney infection this past week, but I just got the call that his 50 year old daughter died from COVID last night. 

Oh, I am so sorry. That is not old. 

The stories on this thread are really coming close to people... this is so scary. 

2 minutes ago, Amy Gen said:

I feel like a scalpel in the hands of an honest and skilled surgeon would be ideal. But instead, they are cutting out healthy tissue and allowing the cancer to spread. That is what has prompted my feelings that shutting everything down would be preferable. 

Yeah, that's how I feel, too. A scalpel used JUDICIOUSLY would be the best thing. But there's so much chaos and misinformation, that this isn't happening -- what we're getting instead is what you describe. At that point, a shutdown is better... 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

Vermont isn't allowed to pod anymore - we have been told no multi household gatherings, at all. The exception is for people that live alone, they can choose one family to gather with. We can also go for an outdoor, masked walk with one person. That's it. No more "safe people". It's *really* fun asking students during school screenings if they've had any playdates or if they've seen anyone outside of their immediate house. 🤦‍♀️

Out of curiosity, how does this work for childcare arrangements?

If New York instituted something like this, my kids are still at my in laws and my parents houses because DH and I both work. Neither grandparent can take the kids all the time. I assume there are many parents still using day cares and in home formal or informal day cares. Or caretaking of elderly parents; my mom and my aunt take turns helping out my grandmother. It would be too much for just one person and she absolutely refuses to move in with someone else, so even that wouldn’t help.

I honestly really don’t understand the practicality. 

• Like 4

On 12/3/2020 at 9:41 PM, Emba said:

I started having the tiniest tickle in my throat and occasional small dry cough the Sunday before Thanksgiving. That evening,  muscle aches and chills began.  Next day had a sore throat, fever, headache, muscle aches were worse. I went to get tested (free test through state of New Mexico). Told it would be four to seven days for result. After that day I never had a fever again, but my cough got worse and I had a strange feeling in my chest - not pain, just something different and maybe a feeling like it was slightly harder than normal to breathe. I was also very tired. On Thanksgiving I noticed a tiny bit of congestion, but I could still breathe through my nose. DD made brownies, though, and I couldn’t smell them at all. We didn’t go anywhere for Thanksgiving, of course. Next day i felt like I had a terrible head cold - sneezing, running nose, sinus pain.  Day after that all head cold stuff was gone, back to fatigue, headache, sore throat, and cough, but all of it pretty mild. Since then I’ve just been feeling better day by day, though the cough is hanging around. No more of feeling in my chest. Today, eleven days after I got tested, some lady from the state of New Mexico called me to “follow up on my case”. I’m positive for Covid.

No one else in the house is showing symptoms.

We didn’t go to my in-laws for Thanksgiving. my BIL didn’t go because he had been exposed to a coworker who had Covid and was showing symptoms. Only my SIL went. Almost as soon as she went home after her visit, she tested positive, and now MIL and FIL have it. They seem to have very mild cases so far, but I worry because MIL has cancer and is in the middle of chemo  treatments.

DD just told me that her friend’s mom had been hospitalized for COVID for “Like three weeks”, on a ventilator, or that’s my interpretation of “they had to put a thing”(she mimed putting something over her mouth) “to help her breathe “ neither she nor her friend are great communicators though, and I realized afterwards that she could have also meant oxygen, and I could have jumped to a conclusion . But surely if she’s been hospitalized that long it wouldn’t be just oxygen?

Many places are using non invasive Bipap, which would be a mask that goes over the mouth. I believe they’re seeing better results than jumping straight to intubation and vents.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

If New York instituted something like this, my kids are still at my in laws and my parents houses because DH and I both work. Neither grandparent can take the kids all the time. I assume there are many parents still using day cares and in home formal or informal day cares. Or caretaking of elderly parents; my mom and my aunt take turns helping out my grandmother. It would be too much for just one person and she absolutely refuses to move in with someone else, so even that wouldn’t help.

I'd guess it's different for essential workers? 

2 hours ago, Pen said:

our state has a 6 person maximum gathering number inside own homes - I didn’t read tules in detail to see what nuclear families larger than six are supposed to do. (Faith based gatherings can be up to 25 indoors)

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I keep wondering about nuclear families bigger than six.  There have to be a bunch of them.  

Well, our family of 8 is Baptist, so I guess we could fall under the faith exemption. 😉

I think that our state's COVID mandate has language to include all of the people who live in the house.

• Haha 4

Just now, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I looked it up and it’s really only speaking about social engagements like birthday parties or baby showers.  Restaurants and bars were left open until 10 pm.

Yeah, no state really has the guts to go further in the red and close all bars and restaurants. Not to mention the fact that with all the misinformation and pandemic fatigue, people may very well just move their parties to personal residences... 

50 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, no state really has the guts to go further in the red and close all bars and restaurants. Not to mention the fact that with all the misinformation and pandemic fatigue, people may very well just move their parties to personal residences... 

Really?  All our bars and restaurants are closed right now for 4 weeks for anything onsite - indoors or out.  You can get takeout though.  (Minnesota).  Most places doing anything at all are doing curbside or are completely closed.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Really?  All our bars and restaurants are closed right now for 4 weeks for anything onsite - indoors or out.  You can get takeout though.  (Minnesota).  Most places doing anything at all are doing curbside or are completely closed.  

It's possible places that are less in the red are more willing to do so? I don't know about the state budget in Minnesota, but I had the strong impression that in NY, the fact that the state is already broke and is about to have to start cutting services really disincentivizes shutdowns. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

It's possible places that are less in the red are more willing to do so? I don't know about the state budget in Minnesota, but I had the strong impression that in NY, the fact that the state is already broke and is about to have to start cutting services really disincentivizes shutdowns. 

Somehow we have surplus right now on our state budget - just announced this week.  Businesses can apply for state relief/aid right now and the cities have some programs too so that is a good point!  

Wish the feds would get something through for people!  😕  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Somehow we have surplus right now on our state budget - just announced this week.  Businesses can apply for state relief/aid right now and the cities have some programs too so that is a good point!  

I read an article a while back that CA also has a surplus - I will try to find it. If I’m remembering correctly, the gist was that the people that are hurting the most are those that are lower income and don’t pay much income tax anyway, while the higher-income folks are still doing fine. I hope some more relief is coming for those who need it.

Edited to add link:

https://paloaltoonline.com/news/2020/11/29/california-expects-26-billion-windfall-despite-coronavirus

Edited by lovelearnandlive

15 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Wow. NY is broke: 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-faces-59-billion-revenue-shortfall-11603198313

There are a LOT of parts of our economy that had to shut. The public transit isn't being used. Broadway is shut down. And of course we had the first big wave... this is not working for the state, which provides lots of services but also requires lots of revenue to support it. 

• Sad 5

9 minutes ago, lovelearnandlive said:

I read an article a while back that CA also has a surplus - I will try to find it. If I’m remembering correctly, the gist was that the people that are hurting the most are those that are lower income and don’t pay much income tax anyway, while the higher-income folks are still doing fine. I hope some more relief is coming for those who need it.

My dad said their county is putting into place incentives for the sick to stay home, such as pay coverage and cash to get tested as well as prepaid credit cards. 👍

Of course we desperately need this and more on a federal level. Maybe soon...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Childcare is exempt as well, sorry I should have mentioned that. Kids can go back and forth between parents with custody and they can go to daycare/family/friends for childcare. I haven't heard about elder care though. 

3 hours ago, Amy Gen said:

I think I may be on both ends. How is that for confusing? 

SAME. Also, I've just really come to peace with the fact that I'm not the decision maker in this situation. I can rail against Newsom or sing his praises, and neither matters. All I can do is feel sad for all the crappy parts of this and hope that any of it helps.

• Like 2

It was a tough call, but I decided to have my 16 yo isolate in their suite over at my ex's place for now. It is on a different floor from the rest of the house, and there is a full bath and a separate entrance. I called in a favor and had a borrowed mini-frig delivered over there this afternoon, and I brought over a toaster oven, electric kettle, smoothie maker, and bags of groceries, toiletries, and cleaning supplies. Plus a small space heater, with instructions not to open the vent for the central heat unit for now.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

We've known several people who have tested positive and had very mild cases. Last week,  a man we used go to church with passed (pretty quickly) from Covid. I do not know his health details, but he was in his early to mid-60s. 

It's such a bizarre virus 😞 . I'm sorry to hear that. 

6 minutes ago, slackermom said:

It was a tough call, but I decided to have my 16 yo isolate in their suite over at my ex's place for now. It is on a different floor from the rest of the house, and there is a full bath and a separate entrance. I called in a favor and had a borrowed mini-frig delivered over there this afternoon, and I brought over a toaster oven, electric kettle, smoothie maker, and bags of groceries, toiletries, and cleaning supplies. Plus a small space heater, with instructions not to open the vent for the central heat unit for now.

That makes sense. 

Fingers crossed as few people get sick as possible... 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Pen said:

our state has a 6 person maximum gathering number inside own homes - I didn’t read tules in detail to see what nuclear families larger than six are supposed to do. (Faith based gatherings can be up to 25 indoors)

people are supposed to inform on violators, though to non emergency police number, not 911 after 911 was overloaded with calls.  I suppose children are supposed to tell on parents?     🤦‍♀️ 

I would not be doing this.  I know we want to stop this virus from spreading but we also don't want our entire society to break down.  If even people like me, who really wants everyone to effectively mask (and who has despaired that the USA hadn;t prioritized N95 masks production and distribution as part of the Emergency order back in March? April?_) and no large gatherings, etc, etc,   really cringes at the Orwelllian and Stasi overtones of such a draconian response.  I can't imagine that there would be a better response from all those COVID deniers and anti-vaccers.

• Like 7

Just now, TravelingChris said:

I would not be doing this.  I know we want to stop this virus from spreading but we also don't want our entire society to break down.  If even people like me, who really wants everyone to effectively mask (and who has despaired that the USA hadn;t prioritized N95 masks production and distribution as part of the Emergency order back in March? April?_) and no large gatherings, etc, etc,   really cringes at the Orwelllian and Stasi overtones of such a draconian response.  I can't imagine that there would be a better response from all those COVID deniers and anti-vaccers.

Yeah, kids reporting on parents has uncomfortable overtones of the USSR, lol. 

Although it probably won't happen, frankly. It's all too transient. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

My state isn't on here but so far we are doing well.  We haven't suffered much unemployment and lots of people are online shopping which gives state sales tax and other sales tax too.

• Like 1

Just now, TravelingChris said:

My state isn't on here but so far we are doing well.  We haven't suffered much unemployment and lots of people are online shopping which gives state sales tax and other sales tax too.

I think that the dominant industries of a state really affect how it's doing right now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I looked it up and it’s really only speaking about social engagements like birthday parties or baby showers.  Restaurants and bars were left open until 10 pm.

It's any multi household gathering, including having people over for dinner, kids getting together, etc. This article explains it - later the governor decided they may have gone too far saying people couldn't go on walks outside together and clarified that those were ok. Also, people leaving unsafe situations (like domestic violence) are exempted.

https://vtdigger.org/2020/11/13/scott-bans-multi-family-gatherings-in-vermont-closes-bars-and-clubs/

My MIL has covid and is doing very very badly. In ICU. I can't give more details due to privacy concerns, but please if you are the praying kind, we'd appreciate that. 

Its weird. Back in the spring, I didn't know anyone who got Covid till like may or june when two of our church pastors got it. 

Now it's everywhere and I know lots of people who have had it or have loved ones seriously ill.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 23

1 minute ago, fairfarmhand said:

My MIL has covid and is doing very very badly. In ICU. I can't give more details due to privacy concerns, but please if you are the praying kind, we'd appreciate that. 

Its weird. Back in the spring, I didn't know anyone who got Covid till like may or june when two of our church pastors got it. 

Now it's everywhere and I know lots of people who have had it or have loved ones seriously ill.

I am really sorry she's not doing well. I saw your name in my notifications and my heart sank a bit... I was hoping it was a positive update, but I was worried it wasn't 😞 . 

I am not the praying sort, but I'll be thinking of you and your MIL. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

27 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

To be clear, there is absolutely nothing in the governor's order that suggests people should report their neighbors, let alone that children should call the police on their parents. That is just how it is being spun by opponents of Gov. Brown who object to the measures she has implemented.

Personally I am pretty happy with the fact that Oregon ranks 47th in the country for deaths per capita, despite being one of the first states to have confirmed cases and community spread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

To be clear, there is absolutely nothing in the governor's order that suggests people should report their neighbors, let alone that children should call the police on their parents. That is just how it is being spun by opponents of Gov. Brown who object to the measures she has implemented.

Personally I am pretty happy with the fact that Oregon ranks 47th in the country for deaths per capita, despite being one of the first states to have confirmed cases and community spread.

I didn't think there was, although right now, there's definitely a bit of the feeling of "you shoudl report on people" going on -- mostly because the states simply don't have the ability to monitor everything they'd like to right now. I do think it's transient, though -- it's not like anyone wants this. 

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I didn't think there was, although right now, there's definitely a bit of the feeling of "you shoudl report on people" going on -- mostly because the states simply don't have the ability to monitor everything they'd like to right now. I do think it's transient, though -- it's not like anyone wants this. 

I don't doubt that some people really are calling the police on their neighbors, just because they're fed up and pissed off about sacrificing and doing the right thing while others behave like idiots. But I don't think that's a government thing, I think that's a pissed-off neighbor thing. I know that at DS's college for example, students have reported off-campus parties because they didn't want the university to shut down the campus and send everyone home because of a few jerks when most students were being so careful. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I don't doubt that some people really are calling the police on their neighbors, just because they're fed up and pissed off about sacrificing and doing the right thing while others behave like idiots. But I don't think that's a government thing, I think that's a pissed-off neighbor thing. I know that at DS's college for example, students have reported off-campus parties because they didn't want the university to shut down the campus and send everyone home because of a few jerks when most students were being so careful. 

Yeah, I'm sure! I'm also ridiculously frustrated. That's why I'm saying it's transient -- on the one hand, there's no doubt people are reporting each other more, on the other hand, it's not exactly becoming part of the fabric of society... 

But it does still remind me of things I don't like 😉 . I wish we didn't have to have a society so filled with misinformation that this was inevitable. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, I'm sure! I'm also ridiculously frustrated. That's why I'm saying it's transient -- on the one hand, there's no doubt people are reporting each other more, on the other hand, it's not exactly becoming part of the fabric of society... 

But it does still remind me of things I don't like 😉 . I wish we didn't have to have a society so filled with misinformation that this was inevitable. 

Exactly — it's the lies and propaganda that's the real problem, not that people are frustrated and angry at their neighbors. I wish I could believe that this crazy level of misinformation and divisiveness would go away with the pandemic, but I fear that is here to stay. ☹️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today's update for our community here in Boston. An 8th grade brother of the 6th grader girl I spoke of yesterday also has covid. So now the two of them plus an unknown 6th grade girl are now positive. This boy went to services over the Sabbath in an crowded indoor service while he awaited his results. Also one of their siblings is undergoing cancer treatment (and another is a cancer survivor). I've seen this boy all over our neighborhood, never with a mask. A big worry is that the elderly Rabbi who has had illegal services earlier in the year is that boy's teacher. We don't know if he will quarantine. The class themselves are supposed to but I'm worried the Rabbi will get them together secretly. This is in addition to patient zero of this cycle is his granddaughter. Oy vey.

• Sad 13

49 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Praying

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Nothing in the mandate says kids are supposed to report on parents. That was just added hyperbole.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Exactly — it's the lies and propaganda that's the real problem, not that people are frustrated and angry at their neighbors. I wish I could believe that this crazy level of misinformation and divisiveness would go away with the pandemic, but I fear that is here to stay. ☹️

While since it has now spread to disinformation and propaganda about the “stolen” election (although of course the ground work was laid a long time ago), I don’t think there’s any hope of misinformation and divisiveness going away. Those spreading the lies, disinformation, and propaganda are getting the desired results, so why would they stop?

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

In my corner of the world, case numbers are rising quite fast and our governor has implemented some super-gentle measures (curfew and others) with the promise to implement more measures if numbers continue rising.

Our church continues to hold indoor services with plans for Christmas services as well--though to be fair it is all mask-mandatory and limited in numbers, with the option for watching online. Some small groups are meeting in person and others by Zoom, and masks are left to each group's discretion.

I am heartbroken because someone dear to me chose to spend a few days with friends, all unmasked indoors with the exception of the person who is dear to me. This person was literally the only masked one, and is now quarantining because it is just not safe to be in close contact indoors unmasked for any extended time. I hope this person does not get sick or pass it on to the people this person lives with.

• Sad 6

7 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Fingers crossed it's not COVID. Any idea where they could have picked it up, though?? 

We go into grocery stores masked and pick takeout.  Noro virus is so contagious that tiny amounts of virus on an outdoor stair railing or grocery or cart or even touching our own car door if someone walked by it infectious is very possible.  It’s WAY more contagious than covid.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Terabith said:

We go into grocery stores masked and pick takeout.  Noro virus is so contagious that tiny amounts of virus on an outdoor stair railing or grocery or cart or even touching our own car door if someone walked by it infectious is very possible.  It’s WAY more contagious than covid.  

Yeah, we've had stomach bugs. Everyone in the family gets sick 😞 . 

We had it back in March. Husband was exposed the day before his office switched to telework. He had a sore throat for a day. DD had a cough and low fever but was acting normal. I started off with just a cough and low fever, but after a few days I could barely breathe and it felt like someone was sitting on my chest. I was told not to go to the ER unless I started turning blue because there wasn't enough capacity. I'm convinced that if I wasn't on baby aspirin and an anti inflammatory prescribed by my NaPro doctor and didn't have an inhaler because a (now evicted) smoker on our hallway had been triggering my completely latent asthma, it would have been a lot worse. I thought I was going to end up on a ventilator for a few days and had a hospital bag packed.

Almost 9 months later, I still have shortness of breath that's getting a lot worse now that it's cold. I'm pretty sure I have lung damage and I made an appointment with a pulmonologist to get checked out. For context, I'm a 30yo with no risk factors aside from mild asthma that hasn't bothered me since high school, with the exception of needing an inhaler because of that jerk who violated the lease by filling our hallway with smoke.

Edited by MoyaPechal
  • Sad 15