Menu

I cried in Costco

BakersDozen

I didn't mean to. Went in knowing tp wasn't in stock from the sign out front. Thought I was OK with that. I've only gone there 9 times now only to turn around and go home. The other 9 times I've not gone inside the store as I didn't really need anything (well, kids say their snack stash is getting low...too bad). I thought seeing all of the shelves restocked would do me good. But seeing no toilet paper again got to me and when a kind employee greeted me and asked how I'm doing, I just started to cry. I felt so stupid. She says a truck comes in, unloads tp, and within 2 hours it's gone. The truck usually comes in the morning of senior shopping hours. Whether that makes a difference in how rapidly it is sold I don't know. But I felt something kind of ugly rising up in me as I left the store - the regret of not hoarding. I did what I was told to do in the beginning of March - bought what we needed. Made sure we were set. Didn't storm the stores. Didn't stockpile. Now I think that was foolish and if this ever passes, if things ever get back to normal, I'm ordering a pallet of toilet paper.

OK, maybe that's a bit extreme. But I was not prepared for how I reacted today. It's only toilet paper. We're good with "making do" if need be. There would worse things to run out of which we have not experienced. Crying over toilet paper...good grief.

But I did bring snacks home for the kids. I may or may not have also bought a bag of the OREO popcorn which I may or may not have opened in the van on the way home just to try...can't say how much of the bag is actually left for the kids to enjoy. Comfort food...that's what it was...

Edit to add: Yes, we've tried the other box stores, hardware stores, on-line, etc. It's out there...I'll find it eventually.

Edited by BakersDozen
  • Sad 33

Have you asked around or put it on the neighbor app? My husband just raided our stash for an emergency dentist he was driving to work (Uber) because she's always working when it comes in. She had been using paper towels and was sore.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Don’t feel bad.  It’s not just the toilet paper. It’s the strain we’ve all been under. Hugs!!

Yes, it isn't the tp.  That was just your tipping point.  

This is stressful.  Don't let anyone tell you differently.

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Yes, it isn't the tp.  That was just your tipping point.  

This is stressful.  Don't let anyone tell you differently.

What an interesting coincidence: T.P. And “Tipping Point.”:

The Toilet Paper Tipping Point. A new best seller! 

• Like 11
  • Haha 8

I understand. I just about lost it at DH this morning because he committed the egregious sin of asking me to get a specific item (brand and flavor) the next time I go shopping. As if it were a few weeks ago before everything changed and that was a normal request. "But you don't realize what it's like now!" I wailed. Sigh.

Hugs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

I didn't mean to. Went in knowing tp wasn't in stock from the sign out front. Thought I was OK with that. I've only gone there 9 times now only to turn around and go home. The other 9 times I've not gone inside the store as I didn't really need anything (well, kids say their snack stash is getting low...too bad). I thought seeing all of the shelves restocked would do me good. But seeing no toilet paper again got to me and when a kind employee greeted me and asked how I'm doing, I just started to cry. I felt so stupid. She says a truck comes in, unloads tp, and within 2 hours it's gone. The truck usually comes in the morning of senior shopping hours. Whether that makes a difference in how rapidly it is sold I don't know. But I felt something kind of ugly rising up in me as I left the store - the regret of not hoarding. I did what I was told to do in the beginning of March - bought what we needed. Made sure we were set. Didn't storm the stores. Didn't stockpile. Now I think that was foolish and if this ever passes, if things ever get back to normal, I'm ordering a pallet of toilet paper.

OK, maybe that's a bit extreme. But I was not prepared for how I reacted today. It's only toilet paper. We're good with "making do" if need be. There would worse things to run out of which we have not experienced. Crying over toilet paper...good grief.

But I did bring snacks home for the kids. I may or may not have also bought a bag of the OREO popcorn which I may or may not have opened in the van on the way home just to try...can't say how much of the bag is actually left for the kids to enjoy. Comfort food...that's what it was...

Edit to add: Yes, we've tried the other box stores, hardware stores, on-line, etc. It's out there...I'll find it eventually.

If you pm your address, I’ll mail you a couple rolls. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Pawz4me said:

I understand. I just about lost it at DH this morning because he committed the egregious sin of asking me to get a specific item (brand and flavor) the next time I go shopping. As if it were a few weeks ago before everything changed and that was a normal request. "But you don't realize what it's like now!" I wailed. Sigh.

Hugs.

I can totally relate. My dh was disappointed because we didn’t have steaks for his birthday a couple days ago. I was not super tolerant of that “suggestion” 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

((Hugs))

If I may recommend something, please consider a bidet.

I's simplest form is a small hose you can attach to your toilet bowl, found in hardware and even amazon. You can install it yourself. Washing with water will feel weird at first. But you will get used to it. It will feel cleaner, you will not feel wet and for the totally dry feeling, you can wipe with a square of TP. 

Worse come to worse, you can stand under the shower and wash. Keep a small bottle of bleach and sanitize the area.

This is what I sincerely recommend to friends about the TP shortage. I personally installed bidets at the beginning of the crisis in the remaining bathrooms in the house though we had a bidet in the master.  For peace of mind because TP was not one of the things I was not going to stress about. 

What did you install at your house? Do you have a link?  Thanks

Just now, Quill said:

I can totally relate. My dh was disappointed because we didn’t have steaks for his birthday a couple days ago. I was not super tolerant of that “suggestion” 

That's so bizarre.  Steak has been super prevalent and cheap here in Roanoke.  

It’s the topsy-turvy feeling of seeing empty shelves when in middle of February the shelves were filled to the brim. 

I usually reach Costco around 9:30am when we go there and I see people coming out with Charmin toilet paper while my husband and I are queueing up to go in. We have enough for now so we didn’t go earlier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dreamergal said:

So it just attaches to a regular toilet?  Is the spray part messy?  That looks pretty neat

1 minute ago, Dreamergal said:

Stupid question but how do not spray the bathroom, your clothes or unintended body parts? Knowing myself, I can see me spraying everything but the necessary bits.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Terabith said:

That's so bizarre.  Steak has been super prevalent and cheap here in Roanoke.  

The last few times I have been at the grocery, there has been hardly any meat at all. I have only seen pork ribs, some larger beef roasts and fish. (I was able to get a few chicken iterations at a particular store when somebody told me they had milk.) There is a meat processor  in the next town over but I can’t get behind more stops right now. I didn’t think he would be bothered about it, and I did make him his favorite kind of cake, but he was disappointed. 

I think it’s just disappointing all the way around for those of us with birthdays during lockdown. (Mine is next week.) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, matrips said:

Amazon is showing quite a bit...

A294BBFC-C2AD-4E74-9115-8A3CBEC3CECB.png

I was just about to post similar.

Ultra CleanCare Toilet Paper, 3-Ply Dissolvable Toilet Paper, Professional Soft Toilet Paper with Individually Wrapped Standard Rolls,Bulk Bath Tissue Replacement Comfort Paper Rolls (15 Rolls) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085ZVHYNX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AYrIEb8ZPC2KB

It may take trying for more than one and then cancelling extra orders when one comes successfully. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Stupid question but how do not spray the bathroom, your clothes or unintended body parts? Knowing myself, I can see me spraying everything but the necessary bits.

It is well aimed.  My 75 year old momma has one and she is madly in love with it.  She uses very little tp.  

• Like 1

I agree OP! I didn't buy extra because I thought the supply chain would work itself out. Now, my subscribe & save order from Amazon didn't come and they're "trying to fulfill" my order. I won't make that mistake again. 

Amazon does have a bunch of commercial tp now since restaurants, schools and other public restrooms aren't using it. I may have to resort to this but I hope not.

(And if you get desperate, hemorrhoid wipes are in normal stock just about everywhere. The cheapest ones are Equate brand at Walmart.) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

It is well aimed.  My 75 year old momma has one and she is madly in love with it.  She uses very little tp.  

This is good to know. My brain is having a hard time wrapping around the logistics. I was hoping there would be a model demonstrating it but that might be a bit weird. I was picturing the model with clothes on, I swear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I came here to post that amazon has stock of TP as well. Same as @matrips, I found a lot of listings on amazon today. Also, go to walmart.com: they have smaller sizes of packages readily available. Check walmart website several times a day for more options available. The costco ones are always available in my local costco's (3 different locations in the middle of the epicenter of the outbreak where everyone hoards) until 10:30 AM. After the senior hour (which is 8:00-9:00 AM), people who line up and get in before 10:00 AM get a hold of TP. So, maybe try going in earlier if you are particular about costco size TP packages.

I didn’t realize how nervous I have been about food supply until DH came back from the store with everything on the list (disclaimer-we don’t yet need TP or cleaning supplies due to having stocked up in Jan in bulk quantities-just luck). It just felt like a weight was lifted that I didn’t know was there. 

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

This is good to know. My brain is having a hard time wrapping around the logistics. I was hoping there would be a model demonstrating it but that might be a bit weird. I was picturing the model with clothes on, I swear.

I can’t figure it out either! 
( Also, if you need to use tp after to dry, why not just skip the bidet part? Waaaay tmi for my comfort, but I’m finding one square to be sufficient anyway)

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I can’t figure it out either! 
( Also, if you need to use tp after to dry, why not just skip the bidet part? Waaaay tmi for my comfort, but I’m finding one square to be sufficient anyway)

DH and I just had a long discussion, trying to figure the logistics of bidet-ing. I feel like there needs to be a drying step (washcloths or something!)

DH spent a semester in Indonesia in college, and while he used the squatty potty, he never went without TP. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

if you have only used TP, you will have a "wet" feeling down there after using a bidet especially in the beginning. That is why I recommend a TP square to feel "dry". But you will be clean. I've never felt it because washing was the way I grew up, not TP. I had to learn to feel "clean" even when I was clean while using a TP. Sorry for the TMI.

DH was telling me about his Indonesian friend who came to the States and had to get used to TP. Said he used a whole roll for one bathroom trip because he just didn't feel as clean as he did with water (they didn't have a bidet but a bucket with a dipper). 

28 minutes ago, matrips said:

Amazon is showing quite a bit...

A294BBFC-C2AD-4E74-9115-8A3CBEC3CECB.png

I hate to say it but none of those are likely good TP. They either charge exorbitant shipping, are coming from China so it will take at least a couple weeks, or are coming from scammy sellers. Be careful ordering these weird off brands, read reviews and reviews of the sellers.

• Like 5

Check Amazon often, because they do have name brand toilet paper in stock now and then (Charmin, Cottonelle, etc.). You just have to catch it when it's available and order quickly. Also, Amazon has their own brand of tp called Presto that is decent quality and comparable to the nicer name brands.

Just sending you a hug.  I get it.  Some days I am ok and feel used to it.  Then other days I am crying about something that isn't even that big.  Going to the stores and seeing empty shelves is odd.  Especially if you need the item.   I say go back early as you can and hope to score some.  And Oreo popcorn?  I haven't ever heard of this before, but now I need some. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I’ve cried nearly every grocery trip (usually the minute I get home). Nothing is normal right now and it’s ok to cry about that. 

When I went last night, it really shook me up.  Things have changed so much in such a short time.  It's hard to process.  😞

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

if you have only used TP, you will have a "wet" feeling down there after using a bidet especially in the beginning. That is why I recommend a TP square to feel "dry". But you will be clean. I've never felt it because washing was the way I grew up, not TP. I had to learn to feel "clean" even when I was clean while using a TP. Sorry for the TMI.

This is far more delicately stated than those obnoxious Charmin bears interrupting a show to tell you about being clean while singing and wagging bottoms. Ugh! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

36 minutes ago, kbutton said:

This is far more delicately stated than those obnoxious Charmin bears interrupting a show to tell you about being clean while singing and wagging bottoms. Ugh! 

Aren’t those just the grossest? I never liked those crass commercials. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

And Oreo popcorn?  I haven't ever heard of this before, but now I need some. 

It is the ultimate comfort food. Didn't make up for the toilet paper (or lack of it) tears, but it was good!

Ladies, I was somewhat afraid to post as I really felt ridiculous today. You all have been so gracious and understanding and I thank you. I struggled when a gallon of milk was taken from me (my dh and I both went shopping and read "One Per Customer" as both of us being customers...that shook me up a bit. But yes, toilet paper tipping point for sure. A friend gave us 4 rolls and I told dh I am camping out at Costco every.single.morning until that darn truck comes in this week.

A bidet attachment is definitely in our toilet's future! Or at least the outdoor version, lol!!

Thanks again, ladies. ♥

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kassia said:

When I went last night, it really shook me up.  Things have changed so much in such a short time.  It's hard to process.  😞

Grocery shopping has always been an enjoyable thing for me- as a young mom it was such an escape from littles, and I simply LOVE grocery shopping.

I hate it so much right now.  Everything about it.  I shouldn't do a little happy dance when I actually find Barilla Penne on the shelves (limit of 4), and I shouldn't have to eyeball the aisles to see if I can make it through and still maintain distance.    I did a grocery trip yesterday and completely forgot my list, and then I forgot most of the things I wanted to get.

I sat in the van afterwards for about ten minutes, processing my horrible grocery trip and trying to decide how many days I can manage before I HAVE to go back.  It sucks. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

6 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Grocery shopping has always been an enjoyable thing for me- as a young mom it was such an escape from littles, and I simply LOVE grocery shopping.

I hate it so much right now.  Everything about it.  I shouldn't do a little happy dance when I actually find Barilla Penne on the shelves (limit of 4), and I shouldn't have to eyeball the aisles to see if I can make it through and still maintain distance.    I did a grocery trip yesterday and completely forgot my list, and then I forgot most of the things I wanted to get.

I sat in the van afterwards for about ten minutes, processing my horrible grocery trip and trying to decide how many days I can manage before I HAVE to go back.  It sucks. 

Yep.  I miss it.  I was thinking that is one of the tiny silly things I miss.  That was me time.  I miss going and seeing things.  Touching things.  Finding the deals.  The joy of finding all the things that my family wants and needs.    Dh is doing our shopping now because he would rather get sick than me.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

It’s ok. I mean to be overwhelmed. Not that you need validation. But just to say, don’t feel stupid. 🙂 

I’m probably only doing as well as I am because anxiety is my default and I have had to counter dh’s reactions. We have a Sam’s club bag of tp that is dwindling so I’m starting to look for more. I had some in my cart online but at checkout it kicked it out. The main page still said in stock but it wasn’t. Today dh sat in the Walmart parking lot 2 hrs past our pickup time waiting for our order and then we only got part of the order. Things are so uncertain now. Frustration or helplessness etc. is totally understandable. 

Heart~  Good to see you here.  I have been thinking about you and hoping all is well.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Quill said:

I think it’s just disappointing all the way around for those of us with birthdays during lockdown. (Mine is next week.) 

Mine was a couple of weeks ago.  We were supposed to go camping and maybe get a meal out going or coming.  Oh well.  Instead, to bring a little joy to my day, I asked my husband to invent a new cocktail in honor of my coronavirus birthday.  We call it the Covid-19.  (Whisky, Goldschlagger, a touch of Cherry Heering, a splash of lime, a dash of bitters, and a sprinkling of Vitamin C powder. 😀)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Serenade said:

Mine was a couple of weeks ago.  We were supposed to go camping and maybe get a meal out going or coming.  Oh well.  Instead, to bring a little joy to my day, I asked my husband to invent a new cocktail in honor of my coronavirus birthday.  We call it the Covid-19.  (Whisky, Goldschlagger, a touch of Cherry Heering, a splash of lime, a dash of bitters, and a sprinkling of Vitamin C powder. 😀)

I was trying to get a dog out of my disappointing birthday, but dh still says no. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2