Menu

So it happened...dh lost his job

Just Kate

Dh works (worked) as a Field Engineer for a Petroleum Services Company. When he started in the oil and gas industry almost 9 years ago, he was coming off of a series of bad jobs, no career focus, and almost a year of unemployment. This career was an answer to many prayers. He worked hard over the past 9 years to work up to his position. He has worked out of town the entire time and put in extra hours. 

Of course, we aren’t shocked. With the issue between Saudi Arabia and Russia, oil prices just fell too low. And then what is going on with coronavirus made things so much worse for the oil and gas industry. I know we aren’t the only ones who will suffer from this. I already had anxiety worrying about my loved ones,  now I have another thing to be anxious over. 

I’m not really looking for advice. I just assume that others may be in the same boat soon and needed somewhere to vent. I’m so thankful that we have a little bit of money saved up, but horribly sad because we had planned to buy a house this summer (after renting for the past 10 years). I’m certainly not making light of the coronavirus and I do know that there are plenty of worse things that can happen than losing a job. But I have a feeling that we are going to see many people facing a financial nightmare in the next few months. Things are not going to be fun. 

Edited by Just Kate
  • Sad 75

3 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

Dh works (worked) as a Field Engineer for a Petroleum Services Company. When he started in the oil and gas industry almost 9 years ago, he was coming off of a series of bad jobs, no career focus, and almost a year of unemployment. This career was an answer to many prayers. He worked hard over the past 9 years to work up to his position. He has worked out of town the entire time and put in extra hours. 

Of course, we aren’t shocked. With the issue between Saudi Arabia and Russia, oil prices just fell too low. Of course what is going on with coronavirus made things so much worse for the oil and gas industry. I know we aren’t the only ones who will suffer from this. I already had anxiety worrying about my loved ones,  now I have another thing to be anxious over. 

I’m not really looking for advice. I just assume that others may be in the same boat soon and needed somewhere to vent. I’m so thankful that we have a little bit of money saved up, but horribly sad because we had planned to buy a house this summer (after renting for the past 10 years). I’m certainly not making light of the coronavirus and I do know that there are plenty of worse things that can happen than losing a job. But I have a feeling that we are going to see many people facing a financial nightmare in the next few months. Things are not going to be fun. 

I am so sorry.  😥

• Thanks 1

This is horrible. My friend and her dh are in the same boat - both of them are furloughed / laid off.

I just want to pass on what a colleague read today. There is possibly a suspension of income tax and some kind of relief package in the works. Will your dh be rehired once we are out of the woods?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm so sorry. This is going to be so hard on so many people. Two different friends tonight said their young adults lost their jobs. One is somewhat local the other one's daughter lives out of state and was supposed to start a new job but was told it won't be happening. Both might end up having to move back with their parents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I'm so sorry. This is going to be so hard on so many people. Two different friends tonight said their young adults lost their jobs. One is somewhat local the other one's daughter lives out of state and was supposed to start a new job but was told it won't be happening. Both might end up having to move back with their parents.

Calvin lost his main job.

• Sad 26

55 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Oh gosh I am so, so sorry. Our entire area is petrochem dependent too and this has been one of the biggest things on my mind with family and friends. 

Petrochem usually weathers oil price drops much better than upstream because they benefit from paying less for their raw materials (even when they are internal prices) and they still add value from their processes. 

2 hours ago, Just Kate said:

Of course, we aren’t shocked. With the issue between Saudi Arabia and Russia, oil prices just fell too low. And then what is going on with coronavirus made things so much worse for the oil and gas industry. I know we aren’t the only ones who will suffer from this. I already had anxiety worrying about my loved ones,  now I have another thing to be anxious over. 

I’m so sorry 

• Thanks 1

I am so sorry. I can see this happening all around me. My BIL is a chef. He cannot work right now. Both my YA have effectively no jobs now; ds was a server when not at college and dd was a nanny when not in France. 

We depend on rentals and property management for a good bit of our income. Our renters are most often in service jobs like restaurants, counter food, bars. Plus we rent out three storefronts that won’t be getting any business right now. (As an aside, these store fronts are in the city that has had two devastating floods, in 2016 and 2018, destroying the stores both times! They have been under duress for more total months than they have been functional!) The other portion of our income is plumbing. Probably, commercial jobs will go forward, but home repairs are bound to dry up except perhaps for a total emergency. 

I was already trying to get employment to help boost our low savings and to pay for college. That plan is obv on hold for the indefinite future. 

• Sad 14

I am sorry. We are in the same boat. My husband works construction with private owners. Even though he's usually doing outside work, his main gig owners told him yesterday they didn't want to take any chances with the virus and asked them to suspend work for now. So, he's out of a job as of yesterday noon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 13

11 hours ago, Just Kate said:

I'm so sorry, Kate. Wishing you the best as you navigate all of this. I hear what this career has meant to your dh and your family, and your grief at postponing buying a home this summer. 

And I think you're right that more and more people are going to feel a major economic impact over the next few months. Our friends in the restaurant business and a yoga studio are feeling it now, but more fields will be affected and there will also be ripple effects that we can't anticipate now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Liz CA said:

This is horrible. My friend and her dh are in the same boat - both of them are furloughed / laid off.

I just want to pass on what a colleague read today. There is possibly a suspension of income tax and some kind of relief package in the works. Will your dh be rehired once we are out of the woods?

I don’t know. I would imagine if oil comes back in the near future, he would have the opportunity to go right back to work. But as it stands, things with oil don’t look good for the foreseeable future, so I think we will have to look into other options. 

• Like 1

I am so, so sorry. DH left flying O & G in the GOM 3 years ago. I can't believe how much the price of oil has fallen since then.

As of right now I think DH will be ok with his job: Airline pilot. I think he's senior enough that he'll still have work. There's lots of rumors of furlough though. Not sure what will happen.

Lots and lots and lots of hugs, thoughts, and prayers for you and your family. 

• Thanks 1

OP - that stinks. 

My DH still technically has a job, but they don't know how they're paying him and his coworkers. This isn't a business that'll get govt subsidies or any help like that; it's a nonprofit run on donations...and most people won't have the money to give (especially since the service DH offers isn't being given due to closures).

• Sad 3

We are self employed and have a primarily tourist based rental business as our main gig.  It’s dropped 90% in 2 weeks.  And we can’t get unemployment or government loan.

Good thing I didn’t have to suddenly close my business last year after a traumatic brain injury or this would be a really scary and crappy financial year.   (Eyeroll)

• Sad 5

It does suck.

My friend’s husband used to work in an oil industry job. He weathered two long lays off in the past. He has had a difficult (impossible) time trying to get work in other fields due to his age. He has most recently been working as a drive for a limo company. He has not officially been layer off yet, but he has not been working since the virus was identified in the US. People aren’t traveling, so they don’t need rides to the airport.