Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

5 hours ago, frogger said:

I'm sorry. I haven't been able to keep up with this thread. Has this already been posted?

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

👍👍👍👍👍

If it was posted before, I missed it.  Thank you for posting ((or reposting)!!!!

It seems to say there is a petition to sign.  I would like to sign the petition, but don’t see it.  Can anyone lead me to petition location?

Maybe I have to use a laptop rather than cellphone?

Has anyone seen any discussion yet on how terrible it is that so many resources are tied up in some sort of power trade war with China?  Not just the medical equipment, or the hepa filter fabrics, but medications.  The free market might have taken it all overseas, but it's clearly a huge long term security risk. We need to at least have the ability to quickly ramp up production of all these things domestically, because this is clearly a big gaping hole in national security.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

12 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

It’s at the bottom-ish...the box looks like an ad but you can sort of catch the words “petition”.  At least on my phone.

Thank you!

I still had trouble finding it.

In case anyone else wants to sign the Petition and is also having trouble finding it, Here is a screenshot with the place to click to bring up the Petition circled in red:

5C142CE8-0B86-4495-9967-7C6210240EEE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Katy said:

Has anyone seen any discussion yet on how terrible it is that so many resources are tied up in some sort of power trade war with China?  Not just the medical equipment, or the hepa filter fabrics, but medications.  The free market might have taken it all overseas, but it's clearly a huge long term security risk. We need to at least have the ability to quickly ramp up production of all these things domestically, because this is clearly a big gaping hole in national security.

Yep. It's a  major issue. Most of the commentary I'm seeing, and rightly so, is that we *do* have the capacity to produce these things here using the wartime powers legislation but Trump doesn't want to be seen as "nationalizing" private businesses. Never mind that is exactly how we were able to ramp up so quickly for WW2. All of the people who vividly remember that are dead/dying.

• Like 11

My family of origin just had a conference call last night about coronavirus. We're spread out across the US and some are single parent households, so we wanted to talk about what might happen if some of us get sick, and share contact information for a local neighbor or friend.

One question that came up was whether coronavirus changes anyone's sense of their end-of-life wishes. My mom has health issues, and her living will stated no interventions including a breathing tube, but she feels differently about that and would want breathing support if she had COVID-19. We'd already talked about end of life care in the past year, as my parents revised their wills and health care documents, so I'm really glad we talked it over again now. 

This article by an ER doc has some helpful concrete examples of how what matters most to each of us might shape our preferences for end of life care, and there are some resources listed for having these conversations with family or friends. Dh and I are going to review our documents and talk things over too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/03/23/end-life-coronavirus/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Acadie said:

My family of origin just had a conference call last night about coronavirus. We're spread out across the US and some are single parent households, so we wanted to talk about what might happen if some of us get sick, and share contact information for a local neighbor or friend.

One question that came up was whether coronavirus changes anyone's sense of their end-of-life wishes. My mom has health issues, and her living will stated no interventions including a breathing tube, but she feels differently about that and would want breathing support if she had COVID-19. We'd already talked about end of life care in the past year, as my parents revised their wills and health care documents, so I'm really glad we talked it over again now. 

This article by an ER doc has some helpful concrete examples of how what matters most to each of us might shape our preferences for end of life care, and there are some resources listed for having these conversations with family or friends. Dh and I are going to review our documents and talk things over too.

This is a great idea!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twolittleboys said:

ThanI know a lot of people here are interested in actual numbers/data so thought I would post the following for informational purposes. The numbers are for a specific (hard hit) area of Germany, posted on a fairly reliable news website, based on information by the Robert Koch Institut (kind of like the German CDC). As mentioned before, I think Germany has a very high test rate compared to many other countries (also saw some research about that) and I think data is quite reliable here (of course there are delays and errors but I doubt any intentional misstatements).

Cases total: 8011
Deaths: 40
Currently in hospital: 443
ICU: 146 (of above 443)
Ventilator: 121 (of above 146)
ICU beds total: 6100

I believe the data is from 2/3 of the hospitals in the region. Not sure whether the others don't have (many) cases or if they need to be added. However, the relationship between the numbers shouldn't be affected either way.

Thanks for the numbers.  It helps put everything in perspective.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Thank you for this article. This is a conversation we had yesterday with our kids about all our end of life wishes. I wish it weren't necessary to ask my 18 and 20 yo's what they would like should they die. 😞  We're also getting MPOA's set up for them so we can be involved in their care should it be needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katy said:

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Yep. It's a  major issue. Most of the commentary I'm seeing, and rightly so, is that we *do* have the capacity to produce these things here using the wartime powers legislation but Trump doesn't want to be seen as "nationalizing" private businesses. Never mind that is exactly how we were able to ramp up so quickly for WW2. All of the people who vividly remember that are dead/dying.

3M and Honeywell (two news articles)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amyfeldman/2020/03/22/3m-ships-more-than-half-million-n95-masks-to-new-york-and-seattle-as-it-cranks-up-production/#691687fd2499

“Manufacturing conglomerate 3M said that it had shipped more than half-a-million N95 masks to New York and Seattle, two of the places hardest hit by the coronavirus crisis, and that it is ready to send additional shipments across the country.

In a note on LinkedIn, CEO Mike Roman said that the company, which is based in St. Paul, Minn., had cranked up its production of N95 masks to nearly 100 million per month globally, including more than 35 million per month in the United States. The company produces these masks domestically in its Aberdeen, S.D., plant.

“I want people to know we are doing all we can to meet the demands of this extraordinary time and get supplies from our plants to where they’re most needed as quickly as possible,” Roman wrote. 

Of the domestically produced N95 masks, more than 90% are designated for healthcare workers, with the remainder slated for other critical industries, including energy, food and pharmaceuticals, according to the note.

A change signed into law on Wednesday allows U.S. manufacturers that produce N95 masks for industrial uses to sell them to hospitals without fear of liability. While both types of N95 masks filter at least 95% of airborne particles, they can vary in design and fit. Vice President Mike Pence said on Thursday that the legislation would permit 3M and Honeywell to sell tens of millions more masks to hospitals.

While 3M is currently operating at capacity, Roman wrote that the company had accelerated its investments in increasing capacity globally, and expected to be able to produce nearly 2 billion such masks annually, up from 1.1 billion today, within the next 12 months. “We are working with the U.S. and other governments, investigating alternate manufacturing scenarios, and exploring coalitions with other companies to increase capacity further,” he wrote. 

3M, which had $32 billion in revenue last year, is one of the largest producers of the N95 masks, which have been in short supply at hospitals as the number of patients with COVID-19 has risen dramatically. The announcement that it would nearly double production of the N95 masks represents a marked increase from Friday, when it said that it expected to increase its global capacity by 30% over the next year.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/23/metro/honeywell-will-start-making-n95-face-masks-its-smithfield-ri-plant-adding-500-jobs/

“SMITHFIELD, R.I. -- Honeywell will add 500 new jobs as it steps up manufacturing operations in Smithfield to produce N95 face masks to help the federal government respond to the coronavirus outbreak.”

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

3M and Honeywell (two news articles)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amyfeldman/2020/03/22/3m-ships-more-than-half-million-n95-masks-to-new-york-and-seattle-as-it-cranks-up-production/#691687fd2499

“Manufacturing conglomerate 3M said that it had shipped more than half-a-million N95 masks to New York and Seattle, two of the places hardest hit by the coronavirus crisis, and that it is ready to send additional shipments across the country.

In a note on LinkedIn, CEO Mike Roman said that the company, which is based in St. Paul, Minn., had cranked up its production of N95 masks to nearly 100 million per month globally, including more than 35 million per month in the United States. The company produces these masks domestically in its Aberdeen, S.D., plant.

“I want people to know we are doing all we can to meet the demands of this extraordinary time and get supplies from our plants to where they’re most needed as quickly as possible,” Roman wrote. 

Of the domestically produced N95 masks, more than 90% are designated for healthcare workers, with the remainder slated for other critical industries, including energy, food and pharmaceuticals, according to the note.

A change signed into law on Wednesday allows U.S. manufacturers that produce N95 masks for industrial uses to sell them to hospitals without fear of liability. While both types of N95 masks filter at least 95% of airborne particles, they can vary in design and fit. Vice President Mike Pence said on Thursday that the legislation would permit 3M and Honeywell to sell tens of millions more masks to hospitals.

While 3M is currently operating at capacity, Roman wrote that the company had accelerated its investments in increasing capacity globally, and expected to be able to produce nearly 2 billion such masks annually, up from 1.1 billion today, within the next 12 months. “We are working with the U.S. and other governments, investigating alternate manufacturing scenarios, and exploring coalitions with other companies to increase capacity further,” he wrote. 

3M, which had $32 billion in revenue last year, is one of the largest producers of the N95 masks, which have been in short supply at hospitals as the number of patients with COVID-19 has risen dramatically. The announcement that it would nearly double production of the N95 masks represents a marked increase from Friday, when it said that it expected to increase its global capacity by 30% over the next year.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/23/metro/honeywell-will-start-making-n95-face-masks-its-smithfield-ri-plant-adding-500-jobs/

“SMITHFIELD, R.I. -- Honeywell will add 500 new jobs as it steps up manufacturing operations in Smithfield to produce N95 face masks to help the federal government respond to the coronavirus outbreak.”

Yes, they are certainly doing their part. Unfortunately, other needs are going unmet, like ventilators, hospital beds, gowns, gloves, even the fabrics that are used to make those gowns. etc. The needs are many, varied and...to this point...the distribution is uncoordinated and non-targeted.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Katy said:

How many states are left that aren't shutting down non-essential businesses by sometime this week?  Has Trump decided doing it through local governors is less frightening than a Federal order?

I don't know how many states are doing this, but the definition of "non-essential business"  appears to vary from state to state or perhaps even within states by counties or municipalities.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Katy said:

How many states are left that aren't shutting down non-essential businesses by sometime this week?  Has Trump decided doing it through local governors is less frightening than a Federal order?

I think it’s all political rather than the frightening aspect. 

States with shelter in place (https://www.axios.com/states-shelter-in-place-coronavirus-66e9987a-a674-42bc-8d3f-070a1c0ee1a9.html) :

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Friends in almost every state we've lived in have texted that their governor is rumored to order a shutdown of all non-essential businesses sometime this week.  I think that list is going to change dramatically by Friday.

• Like 3

@Pen

FYI, cruise ships

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e3.htm?s_cid=mm6912e3_w

“Early Release / March 23, 2020 / 69

Summary

What is already known about this topic?

Cruise ships are often settings for outbreaks of infectious diseases because of their closed environment and contact between travelers from many countries.

What is added by this report?

More than 800 cases of laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 cases occurred during outbreaks on three cruise ship voyages, and cases linked to several additional cruises have been reported across the United States. Transmission occurred across multiple voyages from ship to ship by crew members; both crew members and passengers were affected; 10 deaths associated with cruise ships have been reported to date.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Outbreaks of COVID-19 on cruise ships pose a risk for rapid spread of disease beyond the voyage. Aggressive efforts are required to contain spread. All persons should defer all cruise travel worldwide during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Wisconsin has one starting tomorrow that is called something different, but means the same as far as I know.   

The governor is calling his order a safer-at home order rather than a shelter-in-place order, as California and New York have. Evers' phrasing is the same as what's been used in Ohio and is meant to get businesses to close and people to stay at home without terrifying them or making them think martial law is being imposed. 

Under the order, people will be able to go to grocery stores and pharmacies and go outside to exercise or walk a dog. But businesses will be forced to close unless they are deemed to provide essential services.

Restaurants, which were closed by the governor last week for dine-in service, will be able to continue to provide curbside takeout, according to the governor. Manufacturers will also get to stay open under the governor's order

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2020/03/23/coronavirus-wisconsin-latest-updates-cases-cancellations/2897001001/

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Wisconsin has one starting tomorrow that is called something different, but means the same as far as I know.   

The governor is calling his order a safer-at home order rather than a shelter-in-place order, as California and New York have. Evers' phrasing is the same as what's been used in Ohio and is meant to get businesses to close and people to stay at home without terrifying them or making them think martial law is being imposed. 

Under the order, people will be able to go to grocery stores and pharmacies and go outside to exercise or walk a dog. But businesses will be forced to close unless they are deemed to provide essential services.

Restaurants, which were closed by the governor last week for dine-in service, will be able to continue to provide curbside takeout, according to the governor. Manufacturers will also get to stay open under the governor's order

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2020/03/23/coronavirus-wisconsin-latest-updates-cases-cancellations/2897001001/

I'm pretty sure the one here in NY is called a Stay at Home order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Indiana also has a stay at home starting midnight tomorrow. Everyone is confused though because our idiot Governor made it out like the only difference is government employees will now be allowed to stay home. It seems like most other businesses are still working. Most I know are upset and feel it isn't enough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Joker said:

Indiana also has a stay at home starting midnight tomorrow. Everyone is confused though because our idiot Governor made it out like the only difference is government employees will now be allowed to stay home. It seems like most other businesses are still working. Most I know are upset and feel it isn't enough.

Thanks for this info.  I didn't know that.  My ds lives (and works) in IN and I haven't talked to him yet.  

VA's Governor just closed school through the rest of the school year.  I think he is the second Governor to do that.

Closing down non-essential businesses (hair salons, movie theaters, etc.).  Lots of other stuff.   

https://www.wavy.com/news/virginia/coronavirus-monday-updates-virginia-now-has-254-cases-6-deaths-reported/

Edited by mlktwins
Fixed the link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

That list is definitely based on semantics. PA has basically had one in place, and just put a new word on it for some counties.  It’s all pretty much the same thing.

• Like 1

This isn't a news post so I hope you'll forgive me, but I feel a real sense of community with the posters on this thread. I went in to get fit tested for a respirator mask today and I just wanted to ask anyone so inclined to pray for my colleagues at work. There was so much anxiety and stress on their faces this morning. Our hospital is trying really hard to get masks and equipment but it's so difficult to get. It would be one thing facing this with all the right protection, but it's frightening to face it not knowing what you will have to protect yourself. The mask I tested for is an excellent one but in high demand. We have some now, and are supposed to get more in 3-4 weeks, but it is concerning that they will actually come and that it will be in time.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

The term essential business is too broad.  We are under a county wide shelter in place.  My dd works at a nationwide hardware chain.  She text me a little bit ago and said it was as busy as it always is.  They should stress that you are only allowed to go into these businesses for emergency purposes only.  My SIL lives in IL and works at a wholesale car sale chain.  They still wanted her to work.  She told them she was following the order of the governor, but did not hear back from them.  So whether she still has a job is questionable.  It does no good that businesses like these are not closed and people are going out and about as usual.  My dd would be able to get a 6 week leave of absence with no pay, which would be fine, but she would likely lose her health insurance.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Teresa in MO said:

The term essential business is too broad.  We are under a county wide shelter in place.  My dd works at a nationwide hardware chain.  She text me a little bit ago and said it was as busy as it always is.  They should stress that you are only allowed to go into these businesses for emergency purposes only.  My SIL lives in IL and works at a wholesale car sale chain.  They still wanted her to work.  She told them she was following the order of the governor, but did not hear back from them.  So whether she still has a job is questionable.  It does no good that businesses like these are not closed and people are going out and about as usual.  My dd would be able to get a 6 week leave of absence with no pay, which would be fine, but she would likely lose her health insurance.

I believe some states have been pulling (or at least threatening to pull) the business licenses of those who don't comply. And good for them.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Plum said:

Yes. Thank you for everything you do and for what you will face in the future.

There were many scared nurses feeling exposed due to lack of PPE. The hospitals are doing their best. They have to make the difficult decision to save their PPE for ICU and covid-19 nurses. Not every nurse in the hospital needs a mask. I know that's an uncomfortable thought for everyone,  and goes against years of training and use, but when hospitals only have x amount of PPE, that gear should go to the ones exposed to it the most. I hope your hospital gets a bountiful donation. 

You should know, my dh's hospital has a vent hooked up to 4 test lungs and they are making their own kits to prepare for the surge. 

I am so glad your dh's hospital is doing that! It is going to take a lot of thinking outside the box from everyone to get through this! We have been talking about it at work but I don't know if any preparations are being made yet. I think it takes a long time for people to get their heads around the idea that we may have to do these out of the box things. I'm so glad your dh's hospital is being so proactive!

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, TCB said:

This isn't a news post so I hope you'll forgive me, but I feel a real sense of community with the posters on this thread. I went in to get fit tested for a respirator mask today and I just wanted to ask anyone so inclined to pray for my colleagues at work. There was so much anxiety and stress on their faces this morning. Our hospital is trying really hard to get masks and equipment but it's so difficult to get. It would be one thing facing this with all the right protection, but it's frightening to face it not knowing what you will have to protect yourself. The mask I tested for is an excellent one but in high demand. We have some now, and are supposed to get more in 3-4 weeks, but it is concerning that they will actually come and that it will be in time.

Can they use that UV sterilization method?

https://www.pulse.com.gh/the-new-york-times/world/as-coronavirus-looms-a-hospital-begins-sterilizing-masks-for-reuse/dxcss7w

2 minutes ago, ElizabethB said:

The masks they have ordered are respirators with air pumps which are fantastic but our initial amount was only a few. They have to have air pump units. We have several to use right now in the ICU and ER, but if we get more patients there won't be enough units for everyone caring for patients in those 2 areas. The masks themselves can be wiped down between use and we will share them, but can only be used with the air pumps. I think some of the N95 masks might be able to be sterilized but those are in short supply also.

• Like 2

Bno:  UK lockdown rules: People must stay at home, unless.. - Shopping for basic needs - 1 form of exercise a day, alone or with members of household - Medical needs or to help a vulnerable person - Travel to and from work, if absolutely necessary - Police have power to enforce rules

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TIME - Sen. Rand Paul was tested a week ago for the novel coronavirus, but continued working at the Capitol because he “felt that it was highly unlikely” he was sick since he had no symptoms of the illness, he said

he tested positive 

“For those who want to criticize me for lack of quarantine, realize that if the rules on testing had been followed to a tee, I would never have been tested and would still be walking around the halls of the Capitol,” Paul added. Current federal guidelines would not have called for him to get tested or quarantined, Paul said.

https://time.com/5808407/sen-rand-paul-senate-capitol-coronavirus/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_term=politics_covid-19&linkId=84880950

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

TIME - Sen. Rand Paul was tested a week ago for the novel coronavirus, but continued working at the Capitol because he “felt that it was highly unlikely” he was sick since he had no symptoms of the illness, he said

he tested positive 

And went to the Senate swimming pool while waiting for his test results.

Where is the headbang emoji?

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

“For those who want to criticize me for lack of quarantine, realize that if the rules on testing had been followed to a tee, I would never have been tested and would still be walking around the halls of the Capitol,” Paul added. Current federal guidelines would not have called for him to get tested or quarantined, Paul said.

IOW: "I'm not to blame for knowingly putting so many other lives at risk, because I was following the rules of the entirely inadequate government response that I am partially responsible for." 

🤬

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I'd like to know more about why he was tested before i pass judgement.  He isn't the only member to be tested.  Two Congressmen have also tested positive.  

Was he tested because ALL members of the senate, congress, supreme court are being tested?    Have the major  presidential candidates  been tested too?    If that were the case, I can see why he would be more lax than if his wife or child had tested positive and so he was being tested.   

14 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I'd like to know more about why he was tested before i pass judgement.  He isn't the only member to be tested.  Two Congressmen have also tested positive.  

Was he tested because ALL members of the senate, congress, supreme court are being tested?    Have the major  presidential candidates  been tested too?    If that were the case, I can see why he would be more lax than if his wife or child had tested positive and so he was being tested.   

He was at a museum event where several people later tested positive, but said he wasn't at risk because he did not have personal contact with those people. He says he got tested because he felt he was at higher risk of complications due to having a damaged lung so he was being extra "cautious" — about his own health, but apparently no one else's. He has refused to answer questions about how he managed to get tested while asymptomatic, when so many other people with full blown symptoms are being refused testing on the grounds that there aren't enough tests available. 

• Like 4

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/us/coronavirus-which-states-stay-at-home-order-trnd/index.html

“These are the states that have implemented stay-at-home orders. CNN will update the list as more come in. 

California 

Last Thursday, Gov. Gavin Newsom was the firstgovernor in the US to set mandatory stay-at-home restrictions to help combat the coronavirus. 

Connecticut

Connecticut's "Stay safe, stay at home" policy goes into effect Monday at 8 p.m. 

Under Gov. Ned Lamont's executive order, all nonessential businesses and not-for-profit entities should close.

Delaware

Gov. John Carney has issued a statewide stay-at-home order that goes into effect at 8 a.m. Tuesday and will remain in effect until May 15 or until the "public health threat is eliminated." 

Illinois

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker announced Friday he was issuing a stay-at-home order for the entire state. 

The order went into effect Saturday evening and lasts through April 7. Residents are able to go to grocery stores, pharmacies, medical offices, hospitals and gas stations. They can still go running or hiking and walk their dogs, according to the governor.

Indiana

Gov. Eric Holcomb issued a stay-at-home order Monday, which goes into effect Tuesday just before midnight and lasts until April 6.

Louisiana

After announcing that Louisiana has the fastest growth rate of coronavirus cases in the world, Gov. John Bel Edwards issued a stay-at-home order to help slow the coronavirus spread. 

The order takes effect Monday and ends on April 12, he said. 

https://gov.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/newsroom/detail/2427 …

Massachusetts

Monday, Gov. Charlie Baker issued an emergency order requiring all businesses and organizations that do not provide essential services to close their physical workplaces, but these businesses are encouraged to continue their operations remotely. 

The order, effective Tuesday at noon until April 7, limits gatherings to 10 people in confined spaces, but does not prohibit gatherings of more than 10 people in an outdoor space, such as a park or athletic field, according to a news release. 

Michigan 

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has ordered Michigan residents to stay at home unless they are critical workers. The order goes into effect at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday and will last for at least the next three weeks, according to a news release from her office. 

New Jersey

In New Jersey, a stay-at-home order has been in effect since Saturday. The order prohibits all gatherings, such as celebrations, according to Gov. Phil Murphy. 

New York

Friday, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered all workers in nonessential businesses to stay at home. 

Under the executive order, which took effect Sunday evening, civil fines and mandatory closures will be issued to businesses that don't comply, Cuomo said. 

Ohio

Sunday, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced he was issuing a statewide stay-at-home order.

The order goes into effect Monday at 11:59 p.m. and will remain in place until at least April 6, DeWine said.

Oregon 

On Monday, Gov. Kate Brown issued an executive order telling Oregon residents to stay home except for essential needs. 

The order, effective immediately, prohibits all nonessential social and recreational gatherings, regardless of size, according to her office. 

West Virginia

Gov. Jim Justice announced Monday that he's issuing a stay-at-home order to go into effect Tuesday at 8 p.m.

States that have ordered nonessential businesses to close

Several states have ordered all nonessential businesses to close, but stopped short of issuing official stay-at-home orders.

These states are: Maryland, Nevada, Virginia and Kentucky.”

New Mexico will be under a stay-at-home order beginning Tuesday, 8am. The order is in effect until April 10, or other order updates. I called to let my dh know (I'm still at my parent's home in TX). He will still be able to work because construction is considered essential. 

https://cv.nmhealth.org/2020/03/23/state-enacts-further-restrictions-to-stop-spread-including-stay-at-home-instruction/

In the past few days, several teens, people in their 20s, a 9 year old, and an infant have been confirmed positive.

Edited by Renai
added date and link
  • Like 1

New cases and deaths are slightly lower for the second day running in Italy.  Hope that means the lockdown measures are starting to work.  

edited to add with the usual reservations about whether the data is accurate due to overwhelmed medical system meaning not everyone is getting tested etc and two days is too soon to be sure.  But let’s hold onto hope.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

He was at a museum event where several people later tested positive, but said he wasn't at risk because he did not have personal contact with those people. He says he got tested because he felt he was at higher risk of complications due to having a damaged lung so he was being extra "cautious" — about his own health, but apparently no one else's. He has refused to answer questions about how he managed to get tested while asymptomatic, when so many other people with full blown symptoms are being refused testing on the grounds that there aren't enough tests available. 

That is helpful information.  That bothers me that he was so reckless.    I agree, I want to know why all these privileged people are getting tested.  I like Tom Hanks as much as anyone else, but it smacks of elitism that so many rich/famous people are being tested who appear to seem asymptomatic.  

• Like 3

Just now, PrincessMommy said:

That is helpful information.  That bothers me that he was so reckless.    I agree, I want to know why all these privileged people are getting tested.  I like Tom Hanks as much as anyone else, but it smacks of elitism that so many rich/famous people are being tested who appear to seem asymptomatic.  

I'm less annoyed at Tom Hanks, as he was in Australia where testing is much more available (I think?) and I did think he was exhibiting mild symptoms which led to testing.

But they tested pretty much the whole NBA (not necessarily a bad idea since some have tested positive, but from what I can tell completely against the stupid 'standard' protocol, as they did everyone, symptoms or now).  And some other celebrities seem to have been tested without symptoms as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

I wonder how many other senators got it from that pool that he used and how many poor janitors of the showers at the pool got it from him (and the security guards and the waiters and staff of his office and the ... well, a lot of people). Hope they isolate all of them for 14 days.