Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

5 hours ago, elroisees said:

I'm in Germany and following the local numbers.  This Twitter post is not true. They most definitely are reporting the underlying condition AND coronavirus as a legit covid death. Here is an example of local reporting, though you might need Chrome to translate.  The local reporting matches the national for our state - I'm watching. Twitter twits are distributing a lot of bad info lately. https://www.gangelt.de/news/226-erster-corona-fall-in-nrw

(Missed Germany right there because I was reading from newest backwards , oops!

4 hours ago, StellaM said:

Australian PM just over-ruled the states - schools to stay open.

'No evidence students spread the virus'.

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

I'm horrified at the people clinging to bad information when good information is so easy to get now. 😕

Might a separate thread with sources for good information be helpful even for people on Wtm?  

• Like 2

I learned about Scott Adams podcasts for shut ins from @Arctic Mama and am finding them very well done.  (Well done as to content.  They aren’t very professional as to equipment, sound quality etc.  I think he is trying to improve that. I plan to at least buy his book to help.)

https://www.scottadamssays.com/

Scott Adams is the creator of the Dilbert comics. He also has a background in economics and business.  

The podcasts I have listened to so far are serious not comical, but they feel positive and help my mood a great deal.  

5 hours ago, StellaM said:

Australian PM just over-ruled the states - schools to stay open.

'No evidence students spread the virus'.

Just like my country of origin. The govt refuse to shut schools.

ETA:

"If we close schools, many will not stay home, but may run around in the community and mingle with a lot more people, exposing themselves to more risk,"

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 1

🇨🇦 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/perth-ventilator-covid-19-1.5501891  (video in link)

“Fearing a potential shortage of ventilators, one rural Canadian doctor has rigged up a fix. 

A doctor in eastern Ontario has improvised a way to double his small hospital's ventilator capacity in preparation for a possible COVID-19 outbreak.

Anesthetist Alain Gauthier, who has a PhD in respiratory mechanics and works in Perth, west of Ottawa, spotted the idea in a YouTube video.

In basic terms, the rig involves running two hoses from one ventilator and doubling the power.

In just 10 minutes and with the help of some extra tubing, Gauthier made it possible to double the number of patients ventilated in the hospital at once, if needed.

But there's a catch: the two patients attached to the same ventilator need to be of similar size and lung capacity. And if one patient declines, things will need to be adjusted.

It's not perfect, but as Gauthier put it, "if it comes to last resort, I'm prepared to use it."

Gauthier said the population the Perth and Smiths Falls District Hospital serves may be at greater risk if hit with the COVID-19 outbreak. Many of the 60,000 people in the region are older, with underlying health conditions such as diabetes and chronic pulmonary disease.

His hospital recently received four new ventilators, and keeps four old ones that are still functioning in reserve. Those older machines can't be repaired if they break down, however.

In a rural health-care setting, the hospital's ability to increase its surge capacity may be limited in the event of a widespread outbreak.

Learning from YouTube

The idea to double up patients on a single ventilator was studied in theory by American doctors Greg Neyman and Charlene Babcock in 2006. It was tried once, successfully, in the aftermath of the 2017 mass shooting of the Route 91 Harvest music festival in Las Vegas.”

• Like 2

Another question.  What about giving blood?  I think I am eligible since I haven't traveled out of North America since last April.  I would like to donate but is there anything I should be concerned about?

Also, what about volunteering at the hunger center?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

Another question.  What about giving blood?  I think I am eligible since I haven't traveled out of North America since last April.  I would like to donate but is there anything I should be concerned about?

They desperately need blood. Our blood banks are pleading for people to come in on the local news. They showed how they were spacing people out and taking precautions to make it safe. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SKL said:

Neither DH nor I can donate, but DS21 is planning on going next week. I think they're taking precautions to spread people out.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Just like my country of origin. The govt refuse to shut schools.

ETA:

"If we close schools, many will not stay home, but may run around in the community and mingle with a lot more people, exposing themselves to more risk,"

There does seem to be evidence of that.  But antidote would seem to be to have other regulations that would keep the kids from running around the community, not keeping schools open. 

Edited by Pen

2 hours ago, SKL said:

Both would be great if you can do them.

You can find out locally what protections are in place where you are.

Where I am both seem to have enough protections established that it is probably less risky than going shopping at a supermarket. 

21 minutes ago, Pen said:

There does seem to be evidence of that.  But antidote would seem to be to have other regulations that would keep the kids from running around the community, not keeping schools open. 

Nobody in my country of origin buys that argument because the government is authoritarian. Fine and jail awaits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Do you think that they will remove some of the restrictions on donating blood?  I would happily donate blood, but I'm not allowed because long ago I studied abroad in England and they think I have mad cow disease.  I live in an area with lots of people who have traveled and lived abroad, as well as immigrants, and it seems like half the people I know can't donate because of mad cow disease.  

Check with the requirements of your local blood bank.  My dh used to be prohibited from giving blood because at one time he worked with monkeys.  That prohibition no longer applies to him (possibly because it was so many years ago). 

7 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Ohio under "stay at home" orders as of 11:59 tomorrow (Monday, 3/23) night through April 6.

I'm in Ohio.  What does this really change from today until Tuesday?  I'm hoping echeck will close because I've been avoiding going there and need to soon.  

ETA - they just said to go to the government website for more info.  🙂

Edited by Kassia

12 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Do you think that they will remove some of the restrictions on donating blood? 

Don't know. They won't let me donate anymore because their cheap screening blood test showed I have some rare disease but the (higher quality) follow-up test proved I didn't. Too bad, good citizen, you are banned for life even though our own test shows we're wrong.

I don't know if I'd donate ever again through the Red Cross even if they removed my restriction. I'm that bitter about the whole thing. A local blood bank? Maybe. [I'm really good at holding grudges for a long time.] Rant over.

On a local #covid19 note, the local yoga studio, library, and county courthouse are closed to the public finally after it was announced we have a local case.

One of DD's coworker's wife has all the symptoms but was told she won't be tested unless she needs hospitalization. Co-worker is planning on returning to work in a couple of days. We are all hoping the powers that be make him stay home.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I'm in Ohio.  What does this really change from today until Tuesday?  I'm hoping echeck will close because I've been avoiding going there and need to soon.  

ETA - they just said to go to the government website for more info.  🙂

Ha! I used to be in a county with echeck, so I get your desire to have that delayed.

They didn't give a lot of details about what businesses will now have to close. But they said people can still walk outside, take care of neighbors and elderly and pets, etc.

5 minutes ago, Kassia said:

🙂

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing more and more stores will close, aside from essentials like grocery, pharmacy and gas.

We're going to try to pick up a bike for dd and some garden supplies before Monday night. 

3 hours ago, SKL said:

I was thinking about this because I know they are pleading for blood, but I wondered if I am not eligible because I both traveled intl and have a quarantined intl traveler at my house. 

3 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

What is echeck?  When I google I just get it's a system for sending checks electronically, which wouldn't involve going anywhere.  

Emissions check for motor vehicles, required to register your car in Ohio.

Edited by Acadie

1 minute ago, Acadie said:

We're going to try to pick up a bike for dd and some garden supplies before Monday night. 

For bikes, Walmart and Target are still open.

For garden supplies, Lowe’s and Home Depot are still open. We went to buy lightbulbs as two of our kitchen lightbulbs has blown. 

• Like 2

I agree with a prior poster - the comparatively low number of deaths relative to cases is probably mostly due to early testing/contact tracing.  I think the numbers for Germany are actually a good indication for how many actual cases some other countries might have. Right now on Worldometer Germany shows at around 25 k cases and almost 100 deaths. Obviously, not every infected person gets tested so let's assume there are at least 30k in Germany. Extrapolating from the around 400 deaths in the US it seems likely that there are at least 100 k cases in the US (for example). Obviously, there are still timing differences (i.e. many cases in Germany are quite "new" compared to cases e.g. in the US) and there is a timing lag as well so that is just a very broad guess. Still, it does give some indication-

I don't think huge difference in general health / age are responsible for the difference. Obviously, once health care systems are over-stretched quality of care will suffer and death rate will rise but I don't think most countries are there yet.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

I agree with a prior poster - the comparatively low number of deaths relative to cases is probably mostly due to early testing/contact tracing.  I think the numbers for Germany are actually a good indication for how many actual cases some other countries might have. Right now on Worldometer Germany shows at around 25 k cases and almost 100 deaths. Obviously, not every infected person gets tested so let's assume there are at least 30k in Germany. Extrapolating from the around 400 deaths in the US it seems likely that there are at least 100 k cases in the US (for example). Obviously, there are still timing differences (i.e. many cases in Germany are quite "new" compared to cases e.g. in the US) and there is a timing lag as well so that is just a very broad guess. Still, it does give some indication-

I don't think huge difference in general health / age are responsible for the difference. Obviously, once health care systems are over-stretched quality of care will suffer and death rate will rise but I don't think most countries are there yet.

If Germany's numbers are a much closer indication of the death/serious illness rate, and other country's are higher because of lower testing, that would imply that Italy's real infection rate is somewhere between 1.2 and 34 million (for a country of 60.8 million people).  

53 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Ha! I used to be in a county with echeck, so I get your desire to have that delayed.

They didn't give a lot of details about what businesses will now have to close. But they said people can still walk outside, take care of neighbors and elderly and pets, etc.

Apparently they closed on March 19th.  Yay.  Just have to figure out how to renew registration now.

• Like 1

Just realized I probably need to get gas tomorrow when I go run some errands.  I hope I have the energy to leap out of bed, deal with client stuff, make my kids gather the hardcopy school work due Monday, get cash, get gas, give blood, stop at the school, and get back to work before we have to hunker down and "shelter in place."

Right now I'm tired just thinking about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StellaM said:

That's the same for me; haven't ever been able to donate blood, despite being very willing to do so, and being O-, because of living in the UK for a couple of years.

(Which just made me wonder, where do people in the UK get their blood donations from? Only from people born post CJD? Do they ban donations from everyone over - now - 50?)

There must be an end-date for the 'living in Europe after 1980' exclusion?  I've got the same problem because I lived in Europe for almost 2 years total right in the 80's when the whole CJD thing went down, but surely that doesn't apply to people who have lived there more recently? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StellaM said:

It can't do, or the UK would have no blood supplies! It's a frustrating problem when you are both willing and have versatile blood 🙂

I was wondering about restictions/end-date on 'living in Europe after 1980' in the US or Australia,  obviously Europe can't exclude everyone who's living there...

2 minutes ago, StellaM said:

No end date here (AU)

I mean, I suppose it makes sense. CJD can manifest decades after you were exposed. 

I'm heading on for almost 3 decades since exposure, I suppose it's not without the realms of possibility I could develop it in the next decade or two.

Yeah, I meant what about a person who lived in Europe not at any time in the 80s, but sometime in the 90s, or the naughts, or the '10s, or the past few years?  I thought the whole CJD thing in Europe had long since been handled.  Like 'Lived in Europe between 1980-90', or whenever.  I just can't imagine no end date... like my dd who just worked there this past year can't ever donate blood???

48 minutes ago, StellaM said:

NSW Premier is keeping schools open, and leaving the choice of whether or not to attend up to parents.

Staff get no choice. No word on teacher or support staff safety.

I have never felt less valued as a citizen.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian says schools in the state will remain open, but has encouraged parents to keep their children at home to contain the spread of coronavirus.

Sounds like they are encouraging anyone to keep kid home who can.  That’s a positive change from the pms advice at least and hopefully a signal that schools will close soon.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, StellaM said:

28 new cases from the &*%$*^& Ruby Princess. From The Guardian. 

A passenger who was on the Ruby Princess cruise ship said he believes he shouldn’t have been allowed to disembark, and organisers knew that coronavirus was spreading on the boat.

Bill Beerens, who contracted Covid-19 on the ship, told the ABC this morning that organisers “knew what was going on, and they just wanted us off the boat”.

Friends of friends were on board apparently and flew back to Perth.  

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, StellaM said:

It's not. 

It's a signal that schools will stay open for babysitting, without any of the health and safety issues addressed. 

And relies on parents to self-sacrifice and keep kids home where they can. 

Anyone who's worked in a school  knows this is hilarious. 

The decent parents who want to do the right thing are worried about employers - because they 'can' send their kids to school, WFH may not be offered. 

If she insists on keeping schools open for babysitting, there should be a defined list of students who will have places - children from families where both parents work in a hospital or medical/pharmacy, children from sole parent homes who cannot work from home, and vulnerable children, including those for whom it would be unsafe for parents to have at home 24/7.

Then she should address who will staff the babysitting service, at what rate, and what happens to staff who are at-risk or who have at-risk family members.

Why is it OK for students and staff to be mixing at schools in NSW - highest number of cases - but cross the border into the ACT or Victoria, and it's not OK for schools to open? Does the virus change when it hits state lines?

Teachers and support staff and parents are furious. 

Yes a defined list would be much better.  Otherwise you will have the kids of the NBD parents as well.  Are you planning to stay home from now anyway?

1 minute ago, StellaM said:

Yes, I'm taking all available leave, then have a feeling my contract will be terminated because I won't be required as a babysitter, and even if I am, I can't babysit from home. Centrelink, here I come. 

I’m sorry.  Hope they move to an online model and you are able to still work that way.

• Like 3

I think my daughter has the virus. She is away at school and lives alone. She woke up this morning with low grade fever, diarrhea, cough, and chest tightness. She feels fine on Motrin. She flew back from Canada to Atlanta on the 14th. So her incubation period would be 7-8 days. I'm assuming she picked it up in one of the airports. There are NO tests in her county. She called and spoke with (presumably) a nurse. That person told her that she very likely does have COVID and to self quarantine. She gave no timeline on when tests would be available. 

My husband visited her on Monday after she got back because she was having car trouble. They rode in the car together and ate lunch together. My anxiety is through the roof. There is so much conflicting information out there about whether it can be transmitted during the incubation period. edit to add: I have asthma.that's why I'm a bit anxious.

Edited by popmom
  • Sad 20

@mathnerd

Did not see any announcement on our county’s Facebook or Twitter 😞

(ETA: 7mins ago they announced on Facebook after NBC Bay Area has also already published the info)

https://paloaltoonline.com/news/2020/03/21/coronavirus-weekend-update-ten-new-cases-reported-in-san-mateo-county

“Santa Clara County reported two more deaths and 39 new infections as a result of the coronavirus on Sunday afternoon, bringing the total number of cases to 302.

County Board of Supervisors President Cindy Chavez said in a press conference Sunday that the ninth and 10th recorded deaths in the county were women ages 40 and 60 with underlying health conditions. Additional information was not provided.

On Saturday, the county reported 67 new cases of coronavirus, which marked the biggest jump of cases in one day for the county.”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, popmom said:

IShe feels fine on Motrin.

ETA:  new information that I hadn't read before my original post.  I apologize for any misinformation  https://health.usnews.com/conditions/articles/coronavirus-and-ibuprofen-what-to-know

original post:If you suspect she has it, please tell her to take Tylenol instead of Motrin.  NSAIDs aren't safe for this virus.  I hope she's ok.  One of my biggest fears is that my kids who live far away will get seriously ill from this.  

Edited by Kassia
misinformation - sorry
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Kassia said:

If you suspect she has it, please tell her to take Tylenol instead of Motrin.  NSAIDs aren't safe for this virus.  I hope she's ok.  One of my biggest fears is that my kids who live far away will get seriously ill from this.  

Why would Motrin be unsafe? She doesn't swallow pills, so she keeps chewable or liquid Motrin. It's all she has. 

My husband has moved to our quarantine room in the basement. 😞 Probably too little too late.

Edited by popmom