Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

30 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

So do people think the US is going to be as bad as Italy?   Or do we think somehow we are going to do better.   I had thought I read somewhere we were 4-6 weeks behind Italy?

New York is already going into crisis. 

Read what is happening at Bellevue, Kings etc.

Maybe that will help wake up some currently still No Big Deal moms here (or on other threads). 

It finally got my son’s attention.

He reported to me (so take that I didn’t look these up myself):

Kings - reusing masks for a week- dousing them in hand sanitizer 

Bellevue: 4 doctors sick.  12 new ventilator patients per day.  Too much.  Out of ICU space . Some Older People died on floor before help could be given. 

(It’s been years and years since I lived in NYC and I had relatively little to do with hospitals there, but afaik, Bellevue iirc is a huge hospital in Manhattan, and Kings is not quite that big, but a huge hospital in Brooklyn.)

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

Just now, Pen said:

New York is already going into crisis. 

Read what is happening at Bellevue, Kings etc.

Maybe that will help wake up some currently still No Big Deal moms here (or on other threads). 

It finally got my son’s attention.

He reported to me:

Kings - reusing masks for a week- dousing them in hand sanitizer 

Bellevue: 4 doctors sick.  12 new ventilator patients per day.  Too much.  Out of ICU space . Some Older People died on floor before help could be given. 

Right.  I know what is going on and I thinking Italy is our future.  I talking to people and they still think their kids are going to summer programs where kids are in dorms.   I don't see how that could happen in June.  But the places haven't cancelled yet, they are still taking payments. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Could you call the doctor and see if you can get prescriptions for a 90 day supply of essential drugs? 

I have a 90 day prescription for some drugs but the insurance is only willing to pay for 30 days at a time. My pharmacy is offering free mail to home during this pandemic but they can’t mail a 90 day supply, they can only mail 30 day supplies at a time.

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Right.  I know what is going on and I thinking Italy is our future.  I talking to people and they still think their kids are going to summer programs where kids are in dorms.   I don't see how that could happen in June.  But the places haven't cancelled yet, they are still taking payments. 

I think there is a fighting chance that some other states may be able to use New York example to step up the mandatory shelter in place orders. 

Maybe.  

🙏

(ETA: But I don’t think there’s a proverbial snowball’s chance in you know where that summer camp will be happening as normal. )

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Why the gaps in the NPI's?  Are they saying that school will open and then close and open and then close?

In a different source I did see one scenario that involved repeating cycles of 2 months of social distancing measures and one month off, as a way to make it though the 12-18 months until there's a vaccine. That cycle, according to the model, could keep the number of hospitalizations at a more manageable level.

I don't think anyone knows how we'll make it past the next couple months. There could be some positive change that really makes an impact like successful treatment options or mutation of the virus so it's less lethal. Or maybe we will need to alternate periods of greater and lesser social distancing for a year or more, until there's a vaccine and/or sufficient herd immunity.

2 hours ago, DoraBora said:

Why is it so bad in Italy?  This has probably been discussed on this thread, but I haven't seen it.  Why are they being hit so hard?

My dd and I were wondering the same thing, so we did some research.  Like someone stated a large portion of their population are over 65.  Most (I think it was 87%) of the deaths are over 70 with at least one pre-existing condition, many had 2 or 3.  Also, I guess in the northern section where it is being hit hard, there is alot of pollution..  And most of the older people smoked at some point in their lives, and some still do.  So lung function might be diminished.

• Like 1

Regina, SK (Bold mine)

REGINA -- Regina City Councillors passed a motion to declare a state of local emergency.

Administration returned at 6 p.m. with a plan, including how retail locations would be impacted.

Earlier in the day councillors agreed to harsher restrictons, but pulled back on rules for daycares after hearing an update from the province. The city has capped gatherings at five people, except for essential services.

The city has also implemented the utility payment deferral program, which will allow Regina residents and businesses to defer water payments for up to six months without late charges.

It will also suspend payment collections on overdue utility and property tax accounts. Tax notices will still be issued in May, but late fees won't apply until Oct. 1.

City bus fares have also been waived and there are increased cleaning protocols. Transit is also moving to a Saturday schedule.

A6126110-2C04-4522-A5FB-D18BFC77D96A.thumb.jpeg.b94bc5d5dd0bbcbd602e36c5a43fa112.jpeg

206A335A-15EE-41C6-8B2D-92CDD2106C85.jpeg.37e154eac783213bd477fd25cf597ec4.jpeg

Edited by arctic_bunny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@CuriousMomof3 Historically, in bad flu years, we have had problems sourcing albuterol/ventolin inhalers, Advair (which includes a longer lasting albuterol), and the nebulizer solution albuterol/ipratropium bromide. I can count three times in the past decade where I couldn’t get Advair...a bit more on the albuterol.

These go in and out of availability even in normal times, fwiw. I highly recommend building what supply you can.

Masks, gloves, etc. I totally expect to be impossible to find this year unless you have an inside contact in the hospital. During H1N1, the hospital would send us home with a bit of supplies. Things were never this bad, though. If he gets inhalers during the next hospitalization from their pharmacy, ask if they can send them home with you. 

1 minute ago, StellaM said:

I did think VIC would close first.

Vic, SA and WA seem to be doing a lot better than NSW

I think QLD and NSW will be hit harder first due to being more common destination for tourism etc.  It will just take off a bit slower down here.  We have more oldies I think so won’t be good.

• Like 1

Doctors are telling me to take my corticosteroids and other inhalers but to avoid prednisone for my arthritis if possible. They still advise to keep up with DMARDS....double edged sword but essentially they want my body to be in the best shape it can be should I fall ill. I have also been told to be sure to exercise daily. 😉

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, StellaM said:

haha, shows how much I know about my meds.  I take the purple puffer and the Ventolin, and maybe the purple is steroids? Idk.

“Combination inhalers – purple coloured, or red and white

Purple, red and white combination inhalers

Combination inhalers combine a preventer and symptom controller in one inhaler device.” https://healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles/A_E/Asthma-medications-and-inhaler-devices

• Like 2

Mental health thoughts.

i realise mental health is being used as a bit of a talking point for some with regard to quarantine and lockdown measures.  However that aside this is going to take a toll, not just because of the quarantine measures etc but the stress and anxiety levels for health care workers, general population and those who have lost people they didn’t expect to lose yet.  What can we do to help manage and alleviate that?  I mean that both on a society level and an individual level.  I saw SWBs post about having to attend her husbands dads funeral virtually instead of in person.  I can’t imagine what kind of a toll these sorts of things will have. 

• Sad 5

3 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I wish there was clarity on where this surge in cases has come from. Are they community cases? Have we ramped up testing and just found more in the o/s people returning to AU? In some ways I don't care about raw numbers, I just want to know what they represent.

I know 83 were in NSW. 37 in QLD. 

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Steroids are almost never in inhalers. I can’t think of one—maybe Tap knows of one. It is almost always corticosteroids, which are cousins, but with far fewer bad side effects.

Advair is purple, fwiw, and is a corticosteroid paired with a longer lasting form of albuterol.

I didn’t know this.  

(US) Homeowners who have lost income or their jobs because of the coronavirus outbreak are getting some relief. Depending on their situation, they should be eligible to have their mortgage payments reduced or suspended for up to 12 months.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/818343720/homeowners-hurt-financially-by-the-coronavirus-may-get-a-mortgage-break?live=1&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&fbclid=IwAR1bVak4M1g00GRHfBpJNW-HDixt2BdANhcky4yMcbfnOLBWRPHhmU7jxJo

• Like 2

Our country is so much larger than Italy that I don't think comparing 1:1 as far as number of cases will be useful. We should be better prepared to handle an equal number of cases because it would be a lower percent of population, and theoretically, we should be able to absorb more patients across the country. 

I'm concerned, however, because of what nurses and doctors are saying about running out of masks and other protective gear already! This has barely even started. Even if nobody goes outside for a month, the cases will continue to rise exponentially for a couple of weeks from people who are already exposed but not yet sick. It looks like we may be as bad off as Italy even with a lower percent of infections. 

Is there any way to transfer patients from like, NYC, to places where the outbreak isn't so bad like WV, to ease the burden on certain areas? Why aren't we doing that? I can understand if you can't move people who are already on ventilators, but what about moving people who are doing poorly but not yet on the ventilators? Or could you send the nurses, and ventilators to NYC if the patients can't be moved? It seems we aren't able to benefit from the advantage that our size gives us.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I wish there was clarity on where this surge in cases has come from. Are they community cases? Have we ramped up testing and just found more in the o/s people returning to AU? In some ways I don't care about raw numbers, I just want to know what they represent.

Likely source of infection of confirmed cases reported in NSW 

Source Number of cases
Overseas acquired 218
Epi link (contact of confirmed case) 92
Under investigation 74
Unknown 52
Total 436

More info here

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/diseases/Pages/covid-19-latest.aspx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Global Times:  Huawei may donate medical supplies & internet technology to the US to help combat against the COVID19 given an opportunity, says Chinese analyst. It is reported Huawei will donate a large number of items to Ireland, following its donations to Italy & Japan https://bit.ly/2J9XQux

does this mean US ability to obtain needed protective gear is going to be linked to acceptance of Huawei tech?

Edited by Ausmumof3

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I am still getting emails from every single summer camp, claiming that they will go on and asking us to continue making our payments.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Huawei may donate medical supplies & internet technology to the US to help combat against the COVID19 given an opportunity, says Chinese analyst. It is reported Huawei will donate a large number of items to Ireland, following its donations to Italy & Japan https://bit.ly/2J9XQux

does this mean US ability to obtain needed protective gear is going to be linked to acceptance of Huawei tech?

related news https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-19/alibaba-pitches-diagnostic-tool-to-europe-in-china-outreach-move

“Alibaba Group is offering Europe’s embattled health systems a cloud-based coronavirus diagnostic tool it says it has successfully tried in China’s hospitals.

The move by billionaire co-founder Jack Ma’s technology giant comes amid a bigger push by China to promote its efforts to contain the pandemic that started in the city of Wuhan and was left undiagnosed for a few weeks before spreading to the rest of the world. The company said it presented its machine-learning software for chest scans to health-care representatives in France and Italy.

Alibaba’s efforts come as China and its top technology companies step up their outreach in Europe, showcasing virus-diagnosis and analysis tools. Telecomsgiant Huawei Technologies said it offered Italian hospitals video conferencing and wireless connectivity capabilities. Internet search engine Baidu is proposing an algorithm to analyze the virus’s biological structure.

As Europe becomes the epicenter of the virus, Beijing’s diplomatic and material efforts in the fight against the outbreak coincide with what’s seen as an attempt by the Trump administration to distance itself from the region.

“Alibaba and other private companies are enrolled by China’s government in its long term plan: show their ability to be an ally for Europe, and pass the message that the U.S. is failing to help them,” said Antoine Bondaz, a researcher at the Strategic Research Foundation in Paris.”

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Steroids are almost never in inhalers. I can’t think of one—maybe Tap knows of one. It is almost always corticosteroids, which are cousins, but with far fewer bad side effects.

Advair is purple, fwiw, and is a corticosteroid paired with a longer lasting form of albuterol.

There are a number of steroids available in inhaler form. I use Pulmincort, but I've used Flovent in the past. Symbicort is another. ( Currently I usually just keep the nebulizer solution on hand because I don't need it that often.)

Edited by Pippen
  • Like 3

Norman swan on swimming

”Is it still safe to take the kids to the local pool for the swimming lessons?

This is one of the most common question and I don't know the answer to it unfortunately.

Part of the problem with swimming is the variability in chlorination. And if you're in a part of Australia where it's hot and lots of people are using the pool, you don't want to go there anyway because you don't want to go anywhere where there's large numbers of people.

So chlorination, essentially bleaching, does work for SARS CoV-2, it does kill the virus. But the question is whether there's enough chlorine in the pool water to do that, and of course it's very diluted.

My guess is that the chances are incredibly low in a well-chlorinated pool, but the problem is that you're mixing with other people in a wet environment and wet environments are not good.

They're very good environments for passing on infection of all kinds.

So, I think steer clear of swimming pools.“

confirms me in my opinion that my local pool is not being responsible 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pippen said:

There are a number of steroids available in inhaler form. I use Pulmincort, but I've used Flovent in the past. Symbicort is another. ( Currently I usually just keep the nebulizer solution on hand because I don't need it that often.)

Yep, Flovent is what I use when my asthma starts flaring and needing albuterol more often. The spring allergies and warm air have made it flare now, so I've been using the Flovent, in the hope that keeping the asthma better controlled is better for covid-19 than a risk from steroids. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@mathnerd

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/bay-area-companies-escalate-production-delivery-of-coronavirus-tests/2258796/

“Bay Area companies are beginning to ramp up production and delivery of novel coronavirus tests, and, as of Friday, those tests can be delivered to homes.

Dr. Caesar Djavaherian, Chief Medical Officer of Bay Area health care company Carbon Health, said his company’s tests — fast-tracked for approval by the Food and Drug Administration — started going out on Thursday. People can order one from the company’s website. The cost is $167.50.”

Now we know what American ingenuity can do to find solutions to problems that seem unsolvable. I am so impressed that the 3 companies selling these kits are selling it at cost price and not making a profit out of them.

People buying COVID-19 kits should check if the company has FDA approval for the product before buying and not fall for scams (Carbon,Everlywell, Nurx are legitimate). I am guessing that unscrupulous people will start selling fakes on the internet soon.  And also, I am hoping that nobody starts hoarding these test kits. And if someone hoards it, they need to be put in prison.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bluemongoose said:

I have kept up with this thread since it first started in Jan. I've lurked the whole stinking time. Love this thread! Please let's not get it shut down!

I know I don't post a ton, I'm a pretty private person and like my anonymity. So I don't say what state I'm in or things that might flag me to a person that wants to identify me.

All that to say, I finally feel compelled to say something.

I have about a dozen family members in a Gov mandated quarantine for this. Some have been tested and have tested positive. Some have refused the test (even though they were caring for the ones who did test positive) and are counting down the days to be released. Some of these have symptoms and are hiding them from the health checks simply because their symptoms do not include fever. Yup. They hate the living quarters so much they are willing to get released and spread it than stay and get tested! So frustrating. Not proud of my family members that are doing this.

I have about another dozen family and friends that have self quarantined because they have all the symptoms, live or have traveled in an area that has a high community spread, and cannot get tested though they have tried. At least one is living with a medically fragile person, who has become not sick yet, and is super concerned as they are the caretaker for the fragile person.

I have had a friend of family die of this.

I am holed up at home, trying to do my part, and keep us well if we can. People in my immediate family have asthma. I am worried. I live in an area that is under tested but with likely high community spread. Nurses and Drs are asking for us to make masks in my area. They are pretty much out of them. I am getting started on this effort now, even while knowing that these masks don't help as much as the good masks do. That the virus can still get in. But these nurses and Drs are happy to have anything as they are being told to buy bandanas since there aren't masks.

And then I read in various places, here and elsewhere, that people are thinking this is hype. People acting like other people are disposable so they can go have fun or at least not be inconvenienced. Not all the people dying are weak or old with previous conditions. Some drs see dying they are surprised by. Some of these people could be leaving behind kids. Some of these people may be your family, your drs, your friends. So far I have been lucky. Though so many of my extended family members and friends are ill and fighting this virus, I have not lost someone close to me...YET... but I'd be pretty naive to believe that I am not going to lose anyone.

I don't know...I am tired and probably a little rambley....but lets think of others. That's all. And do what you can to stay safe and even help if that is doable for your situation.

If anyone else has any other community efforts that we can do while staying home that help, please post them! Maybe if people felt they could have a purpose while being stuck at home, they would feel better.

And thanks again to all the people who have been posting all the facts on this thread. I am grateful for them!

The reason that as an immigrant from a place two hours away from Wuhan will continue to call this Wuhan virus and China's virus is because my friends (also living in the US, also from China) and I want the world to remember where this started. If you look at the infected cases and death numbers China reported and compare them to what is happening in Italy, Iran, Spain, and now the US, you will see China lied. You need to add at least one zero to the end of their numbers. Now even though it is still pretty bad there, they suppress the number to 0 infection by punishing anyone who reports their actual number in their area. China lied, covered up, bullied WHO to not label it pandemic, and accused the US evacuation and travel restrictions of being racists. If China had it lied about its death numbers, the world would have known the real severity much earlier and it would not have come to this. 

I feel your frustration and that makes me hate the Chinese communist government even more. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, StellaM said:

haha, shows how much I know about my meds.  I take the purple puffer and the Ventolin, and maybe the purple is steroids? Idk. Anyway, thank you for the correction 🙂

Yep, keep on top of your condition as best as you can. Nobody actually knows if the steroid link is correlation or causation - makes sense for healthy people to avoid steroids - but every else keep keeping on.

IF the purple is Advair, yes one of them is a steriod and the other one isn't.

42 minutes ago, StellaM said:

So, can someone good with numbers help me understand this please?

The rate of diagnosed coronavirus in my state is doubling every 3-4 days. We're at just over 1000 diagnosed cases. 

Is it the number - 1000 - that matters more here, or the speed of doubling, or a combination? I mean, in terms of trying to estimate personal risk. 

I suppose my quesrion is, how can a person look at the numbers and estimate when risk of contracting coronavirus rises from low to moderate, and from moderate to high? Is it when we hit a certain number of cases (or alternatively and optimistically, the number of new cases falls), or is the doubling an indicator of changed risk in and of itself?

Not a mathematician but I think the doubling rate is more important for all of us.  The number of cases might matter today but if the growth rate is exceptionally high a low starting point is going to be irrelevant in a week or two.  The only thing is if the doubling rate is mostly driven by imported cases it might be misleading.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, JadeOrchidSong said:

The reason that as an immigrant from a place two hours away from Wuhan will continue to call this Wuhan virus and China's virus is because my friends (also living in the US, also from China) and I want the world to remember where this started. If you look at the infected cases and death numbers China reported and compare them to what is happening in Italy, Iran, Spain, and now the US, you will see China lied. You need to add at least one zero to the end of their numbers. Now even though it is still pretty bad there, they suppress the number to 0 infection by punishing anyone who reports their actual number in their area. China lied, covered up, bullied WHO to not label it pandemic, and accused the US evacuation and travel restrictions of being racists. If China had it lied about its death numbers, the world would have known the real severity much earlier and it would not have come to this. 

I feel your frustration and that makes me hate the Chinese communist government even more. 

I am trying to have a conversation with my teen that emphasises that I dislike the way the Chinese government handled this while respecting the Chinese citizens who have suffered and fought and particularly the doctors who were brave enough to speak out.  Hard to get the right distinction here because both my dh and son tend to just hear China - bad.  On the other hand the Chinese government seems very keen to make any criticism of the communist party a racial issue rather than a political thing.  I hope I’m doing it right.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Teresa in MO said:

My dd and I were wondering the same thing, so we did some research.  Like someone stated a large portion of their population are over 65.  Most (I think it was 87%) of the deaths are over 70 with at least one pre-existing condition, many had 2 or 3.  Also, I guess in the northern section where it is being hit hard, there is alot of pollution..  And most of the older people smoked at some point in their lives, and some still do.  So lung function might be diminished.

I’ve been wondering if a country’s median age will be an indicator of how bad this gets in different places, or if it could simply help mitigate the damage in places where medical systems are less than adequate.  Italy’s median age is about 46. The US and China’s are both about 38.  Egypt’s is 24.  I sincerely hope that the low median age in most of Africa makes coronavirus less awful here, because the medical care here isn’t reliable. And I hope that the rest of the world finally does something about improving medical care for everyone after this is over. 

• Like 4

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-17/europe-s-doctors-getting-sick-like-in-wuhan-chinese-doctors-say

“Prioritize Testing

Unlike previous pandemics like the 2003 one caused by SARS, the coronavirus causes only mild or even no symptoms in some infected people at first, which means they’re unknowingly spreading the virus to others. Administering nucleic acid tests, which identify the virus’ genetic sequence in patient samples, is essential, said the doctors.

“Test, test, test,” said Du. “Apart from testing, I just have no idea how you can identify the suspected cases, and how to quarantine the close contacts.”

Testing has become a barometer of competence for the world’s governments and health-care systems. The U.S. government is facing widespread public anger for the slow roll-out of tests, while nations from Indonesia to India are being criticized for not testing much at all. South Korea, which had the second-biggest number of cases in Asia, has gotten its epidemic under control largely through testing tens of thousands of people daily.”

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Amira said:

I’ve been wondering if a country’s median age will be an indicator of how bad this gets in different places, or if it could simply help mitigate the damage in places where medical systems are less than adequate.  Italy’s median age is about 46. The US and China’s are both about 38.  Egypt’s is 24.  I sincerely hope that the low median age in most of Africa makes coronavirus less awful here, because the medical care here isn’t reliable. And I hope that the rest of the world finally does something about improving medical care for everyone after this is over. 

Yes I wondered about that.  Sadly in counties with poorer medical care those most vulnerable may possibly have already died from other causes.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/us-tourists-in-quarantine-in-the-barossa-valley-after-ten-test-positive-for-coronavirus-c-756036

10 out 18 US tourists in the Barossa have tested positive.  They came in before the 14 quarantine requirement.  This is the next council area to mine and where we usually go to church.  Lots of friends/family in the area.  Church was running in a modified format tomorrow but I suspect this will change that. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I am trying to have a conversation with my teen that emphasises that I dislike the way the Chinese government handled this while respecting the Chinese citizens who have suffered and fought and particularly the doctors who were brave enough to speak out.  Hard to get the right distinction here because both my dh and son tend to just hear China - bad.  On the other hand the Chinese government seems very keen to make any criticism of the communist party a racial issue rather than a political thing.  I hope I’m doing it right.

Maybe reading a book like Wild Swans with your teen could help with the distinction?  

• Like 2