Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

9 minutes ago, maize said:

If a person coughs or sneezes, they expel tiny droplets of water mixed without other things--like viruses. A cloth mask will catch many of these and prevent them from spreading into the air and falling onto surfaces. Also prevents folks from, say, wiping their nose with their hand, then using that hand to open a door.

A mask on my face can still help filter out droplets from someone who sneezes right next to me--but it traps those droplets next to me face not theirs, which leaves me still at risk.

One reason masks do more good on the face of a sick person is that they keep a significant portion of potentially expelled viruses from ever entering the larger environment. 

Most non-respirator masks can't filter out smaller, aerosol viral particles. These stay in the air much longer.

But wouldn't that same filter work in reverse? If they are filtering droplets and not smaller aerosol viral particles, isn't that true both ways?

I'm really not trying to be deliberately obtuse, I promise. I am genuinely not understanding why a mask would be considered good PPE for a healthcare worker and not for average joe on the street, all other things being equal.

ETA: I'm wondering this because I think the messaging is not to hoard masks because they won't help keep you from getting sick, but healthcare workers need them to keep from getting sick. I think that message makes Average Joe suspicious and more likely to hoard masks, tbh.

Edited by EmseB
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

Is there a glove shortage?

I've seen people in my area saying they are running out of latex free gloves. We can't find them locally at all which was a problem because I'd planned to do our dissections this week and hadn't bought gloves yet. 

23 minutes ago, EmseB said:

But wouldn't that same filter work in reverse? If they are filtering droplets and not smaller aerosol viral particles, isn't that true both ways?

I'm really not trying to be deliberately obtuse, I promise. I am genuinely not understanding why a mask would be considered good PPE for a healthcare worker and not for average joe on the street, all other things being equal.

ETA: I'm wondering this because I think the messaging is not to hoard masks because they won't help keep you from getting sick, but healthcare workers need them to keep from getting sick. I think that message makes Average Joe suspicious and more likely to hoard masks, tbh.

You're probably right about the messaging to "Average Joe"... and that's unfortuate.

The distinction is in the concept of viruses being suspended in liquid.

If a whole droplet hits a loose-filter mask, the diameter of the droplet matters. Depending on the filtration mesh, either the whole droplet will stop: together with all of the suspended viruses, or the whole droplet will pass through. Droplets too large for the mesh (unlike gasses) will not just break apart and carry on their trajectory. So, a cough has a variety of droplet sizes going on: from large visible splatters to microscopic sizes. So does breathing, yawning, etc. even ordinary exhaling.

So a person with viruses in their bodily fluids is constantly expelling them in various sized droplets. If they wear a loose-mesh mask (fabric mask / dentist mask) a lot of those virus containing droplets will be stopped. They won't get on the cereal boxes or cart handles in anywhere near the same quantity. Some (the smallest droplets) will escape: but quantity matters.

So, then, you're a healthy person breathing public air. The big heavy droplets from the sick person have been caught by their masks, or if they aren't wearing a mask, they fairly quickly fall to the ground, or stick to the cereal box... but the finest ones are still in your breathing air -- mostly because they are light and fall more slowly. If you are wearing no mask, you breathe in those super-fine droplets together with all of their viruses. If you are wearing a loose-mesh mask, you breathe them in too -- because they are very small and suspended in the air. They pass through your mesh. You are only protected if you wear a mask with a virus-by-virus level of mesh.

So, it is true that a properly worn virus-level-mesh mask will be protective against you *getting* the virus... you can see why a cloth or simple mask would not be effective.

However a cloth or simple mask would be quite helpful (but not totally containing) for someone who might be sick and should be expelling as few droplets as possible.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Paige said:

I've seen people in my area saying they are running out of latex free gloves. We can't find them locally at all which was a problem because I'd planned to do our dissections this week and hadn't bought gloves yet. 

Community college bookstores and university bookstores might have stock of nitrile gloves. The vet school uses them.

e.g. this is what my local community college sells for its students  http://books.foothill.edu/merchdetail?MerchID=1455375&num=0&start=&end=&type=1&CategoryName=LAB SUPPLIES&CatID=9286&Name=LAB SUPPLIES

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bolt. said:

Wow. I'm sorry things are so deep in your area.

I get that sometimes anything is better than an uncovered face -- while working with patients.

I also get that if *we* can't be sure we don't have the virus, we might as well wear a mask for the sake of others: if we happen to have one.

I wonder if the cloth and other non-N95 masks are used more for the patients than the staff? Just as cough stoppers? The hospital would still need non-virus-stopping masks for some things, so if they have a source for cloth masks, it could alleviate pressure on other higher functioning masks.

I'm pretty sure that there are places in the USA right now that don't have virus stopping masks for use when doing high risk procedures like intubations. I saw a picture of an anesthesiologist who put on some nasal cannula so he could breath and then put a plastic bag over his head while he intubated someone.

• Sad 9

2 minutes ago, TCB said:

I'm pretty sure that there are places in the USA right now that don't have virus stopping masks for use when doing high risk procedures like intubations. I saw a picture of an anesthesiologist who put on some nasal cannula so he could breath and then put a plastic bag over his head while he intubated someone.

I'm so sorry!

@mathnerd@Pen@pitterpatter@Quill@Garga

News link https://abc7news.com/6046360/

Joann link https://www.joann.com/make-to-give-response/
“Crafts chain Joann Stores is making all of its 800-plus stores available for up to 10 people at each location to sew masks and hospital gowns, offering sewing machines and supplies, spokeswoman Amanda Hayes said.

Hayes said the number of people allowed in the stores adheres to CDC guidelines, the sewing stations will be six feet apart and staff will continuously sanitize the work areas and materials. The company also has special kits for customers who want to make masks at home.

"We're enabling people to feel like they are contributing at a time when we don't have control," Hayes said.”

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, TCB said:

If we went by how much a casual hospital visit costs (flu vaccine, well child checkup), leaving out the astronomical costs of medical procedures and CEO pay packages, I am frustrated that hospitals  are sending in employees to work without protection and that most of the workers are assuming that they already have covid infection. When this is over, we need some oversight on how hospitals allocate resources and funding and how “just in time” inventory systems simply fall apart during times of crisis, especially if foreign sources are the basis of supply chains. I am just sad that people are making cotton masks for health care providers when the entire country could have been proactive in February about crisis planning 😞

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, bolt. said:

I'm "buying the line" that *only* healthcare grade (and similar) masks work, and that they only work if you wear them properly (as a healthcare worker would) -- so, if so, yes the minimal airborne (rarely aresolized) risk is being mitigated for people who have those masks and know how to use them. They are not "totally useless" -- just very specific, and quite difficult to use well. I very much hope people of elevated risk do have them, and have a proper understanding of their use.

I think that healthcare workers need masks for their normal uses (keeping the germs of the *workers* out of the faces / wounds / surgical openings of their patients). I also think of them as 'elevated risk' because of their frequency and intensity of contact with actual patients, and I consider them likely to be trained and willing to put up with the discomfort, so I hope they can get the right equipment and use it properly in their risky situation.

The advice against simple paper masks and/or other makeshift solutions seems sound to me.

This is what convinced me to wear a mask, even a cloth one: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Eliana said:

how are you doing your quarantine?  We have a daughter coming home this week & are trying to plan how to do this!

I will outline what we are doing. If someone reading along is thinking of criticizing me, don’t. I’m doing the best I can with an imperfect situation.

1. Dd has sort of a “suite” with a bedroom, bathroom and room I used to use for homeschooling. She stays in these three rooms about 95% of the time. When she comes out, she sanitizes her hands and wears a mask. She doesn’t come out except for dinner and sometimes lunch (discussed below). 

2. She texts me in the morning and I bring her coffee and breakfast on a tray, masked and gloved. I mostly am using disposable dining ware, but I don’t have every single item disposable, so some items are not. (Coffee cup, for example.) When she finishes eating, I retrieve her items, gloved and masked, and immediately thoroughly wash the tray and non-disposable ware. I throw away the disposables. 

3. For dinner and sometimes lunch, we eat on the patio if the weather is agreeable. This way, we can sort of eat “together,” though there is six or more feet between family members. We have a little firepit thingy, which dh built a fire in last Friday, which was very nice. 

4. A few nights, the patio hasn’t worked bc of rain and too cold. In this case, she eats her dinner at the farthest end of the kitchen table, I stood about ten feet away at the kitchen counter, and dh and ds ate in the dining room. This is close enough to sort of still be eating “together” while reducing interaction.

5. I’m “funniest” about fear of contaminating food. I don’t let her investigate the food or serve herself or get things out of the fridge or pantry herself. I handle salt shakers or whatever condiments myself. When she eats in the kitchen, I immediately wipe down the table and area with wipes. 

6. When she arrived home from France, we left her suitcases in the garage for a couple of days. She used wipes for things like her phone, laptop, etc. I had a thread on here about containment of her Europe things; I’ll try to link that in a bit. There was good advice in there. 

7. Weather permitting, I urge her to go outside daily. She pets the kitty or walks around. She also has a yoga mat and weights to use in the former homeschool room.  She takes her temperature in the morning and night. 

8. I did her Europe laundry gloved and masked and used color-safe bleach and an extra rinse in the load. She wears easy-wash clothes while quarantined; nothing like a fragile sweater or something. I will do her laundry gloved and masked until she is finished quarantine. 

9. That’s about it. If I go in her room, it is gloved and masked. Ds sometimes stands and talks to her at her doorway unmasked and w/o gloves, which isn’t exactly what I prefer. I absorb some criticism because I take it more seriously than anyone else, though thankfully, I don’t get pushback from dd herself. She hasn’t, for example, said anything dumb like she just has to see her bf or bff or something. She uses FT and plays digital games with bf or friends, so I guess she accepts that for now. I did put a small table up in her room because she wanted to do a puzzle. I don’t assume I will sterilize the puzzle pieces but I won’t be doing that puzzle myself until the virus could have died off! 

PS. I recognize my privilege in having a big house with spacious rooms and plenty of places for people to be. I hope you have a workable situation as well! 

Edited by Quill
Link to thread added
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Garga said:

This is what convinced me to wear a mask, even a cloth one: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/

Thank you! That's good information, and it makes sense with the science I already understood -- but applied it to real world conditions better than I could have. (I wasn't thinking in terms of 'percent passing through' of things the same size... I had imagined the size being an all-through or all-stopped factor.)

• Like 2

My school district just extended their closure until April 24, and the larger County system is “until further notice”. I tried my first piano lesson today via Zoom, and it was OK...not great, but better than going weeks without lessons. 

• Like 4

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/indonesia-cancels-national-exams--affecting-more-than-8-million-students-12572030

“JAKARTA: Indonesia has cancelled the country's upcoming National Examination over concerns about the spread of coronavirus, a move that will affect more than eight million high school students, education minister Nadiem Makarim said on Tuesday (Mar 24).

The decision came as the Southeast Asian country announced its biggest daily rise in coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of people infected to 686, with 55 deaths.

"What's most important is the safety and the health of our students and their family and their grandparents," Makarim said during a televised broadcast.

The national exams had been due to be held in two phases, starting on Mar 30 and Apr 20.”

• Like 1

Aerosolization is just the description of the physics mechanism—they are small and light enough to be carried on the air.

In a sneeze, the particles less than 5 microns or so float in the air.

There has been an artificial construct for discussion on which masks are safe to use. 

Generally, large volumes of aerosolized particles happen when you manipulate the large airways—manual vent with bag and mask, endotrach suction, cpr, intubation, nebulizer therapy, bipap/cpap....but it’s not like an either/or dichotomy. You can have a sneeze that generates both droplets and aerosolized particles.

• Like 2

No criticism, Quill -- totally admiring you over here! A few ideas, in case you are still brainstorming or improving.

Have you considered having her put the disposable dishes in a trash of her own?

Also, you could pass in a damp soapy cloth for her to wipe her high-touch surfaces daily.

Do you have a mesh laundry bag that you could keep her laundry together through the whole laundry process, limiting the number of individual items you touch yourself?

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 1

Bloomberg Article on paper estimating shutdown will have 600,000 lives: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-23/economic-shutdown-is-estimated-to-save-600-000-american-lives

price gouging or profiteering? 750,000 masks sold under auction this week: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-24/medical-masks-auctioned-for-huge-markup-while-hospitals-run-out?in_source=postr_story_0

India's prime minister Modi puts India under lockdown: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52024239

The BBC has a thoughtful article on their take of the US handling of the crisis (somewhat political): https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52012049

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, EmseB said:

N95 masks are designed to protect the wearer, meaning that, as long as they're fitted correctly, they suck up against the face when you breathe in, filtering air through the mask.  When you breathe out, the air can go out around the mask.  In fact, some models have a valve that lets unfiltered air out.  

Surgical masks are designed to protect the environment. They must be worn properly over the nose and mouth to be protective.

The messaging surrounding masks in this country has been ridiculous.  And, more importantly, our not wearing masks in public has made it so that we can't really compare what happened/is happening in China with what is going on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my area the college students from Asia have worn masks for years. It’s not that unusual to see.

Anyhow, this might have been posted already, but the following article from Stanford Medicine discusses ways to sterilize an N95 mask so it can be used multiple times. (Keep in mind that it is not peer reviewed.) FWIW, they were not able to test sars-cov-2 and used E. coli instead.

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fstanfordmedicine.box.com%2Fv%2Fcovid19-PPE-1-1

We asked what methods can be used to decontaminate the facial mask for reuse safely and without loss to filtration efficiency. 4C Air confirms using 70 degree C hot air in an oven (typical kitchen-type of oven will do) for 30min, or hot water vapor are additional effective decontamination methods.

Conclusions: DO NOT use alcohol and chlorine-based disinfection methods. These will remove the static charge in the microfibers in N95 facial masks, reducing filtration efficiency. In addition, chlorine also retains gas after de-contamination and these fumes may be harmful.

The article also discusses what could be used to replace damaged elastic straps as well.

For those of you dealing with people moving in and all their germy stuff, you can quarantine things that aren’t needed immediately. Let it sit in a garage, storage locker, shed, etc. Three to four days should do the trick. Our 23 year old is staying with us during the SIP, and about 1/2 his belongings that he brought along are sitting in our storage locker and will be available to him this Thursday.

If you have the money, there’s a pretty good air purifier, a hyper hepa, you can buy for about $800 that can filter out the size of this virus. It’s made by IQAir, a Swiss company. It won’t get everything but could reduce the viruses. We have one and it works well.

• Like 3

My local hospital is asking for donations off iPhones/iPads so they use these to minimize physical contact with patients.  According to the post, they will use these as they are running out of supplies and staff are getting sick.  That could be interesting especially since they have the worst WiFi system. 

There was also an article by someone who has overcome covid and how he didn’t get his test results back until he had almost recovered.  They even lost his test and he had to redo it.  

• Sad 1

Update from the local news tonight

Ford is testing their face shields in Detroit this week before ramping up production.  Partnering with 3M on masks and GE on respirators.  Sounded like those would be in production soon

GM making respirators - didn’t catch who they were partnering with

FCA is already in production on masks that they will be donating.  partnering with an Italian company on respirators

• Like 6

Students’ isolation

SA Health has also confirmed a case involving a young person who attended a lecture at the University of South Australia’s Magill campus, potentially forcing a number of fellow students into self-isolation.

The University of South Australia emailed students on Tuesday informing them of the diagnosis.

• Like 1

Had to go out today to shops etc.  shops were bleak if you are a baking home cooking type though plenty of package food.  Fruit and veg and meat prices are up.  

first two cases that have ended up in intensive care in my state - both came from the Ruby Princess cruise ship.  More people lost jobs or taken pay cuts.  

• Sad 5

Government here is considering Universal Basic Income during the crisis, but right now is just supporting those that have lost their jobs.  Rents are frozen, evictions banned, and a 6 month mortgage holidays must be allowed if requested. Full Lockdown in 4 hours, with police and Army to enforce. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I am serious when I say that the only thing keeping me from diving down to the Mariana Trench of cynicism, is that I can look to NZ and remind myself that government can work.

I posted in the other thread that now that parliament has adjourned, they set up a committee led by the opposition party to keep an eye on the Government now that it has been given extra powers. 

• Like 3

We are at 4 confirmed cases of community transmission out of 4.5 million, and we are testing.  The other 201 cases are travellers who have arrived on international flights in the past 2 weeks and have been put in self-isolation and contact traced.  Crossing fingers that the lockdown is in time. Jacinda warned us that we are likely to see 2000+ cases during the month long lockdown.  But with the hoards of people in to help with community tracing, we are hoping to nip it in the bud. Everyone I have talked to is taking the lockdown very seriously.  Keep in mind, when they said only essential businesses, that means that they have closed all internet purchasing.  If you did not buy it today, all you can buy is food, drugs, and fuel.  There is nothing else open either in person or online. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 6

They are also now putting all international travellers in quarantine (not self-isolation). Jacinda said they couldn't do it before because there were just too many (like 100,000, and now only expecting 10K more) so if they tried to quarantine 100K people, they were likely to end up with the virus spreading through quarantine camps like on a cruise ship.  So they made the choice to go with self isolation for the past 2 weeks for all international travellers.  Starting tonight that stops, and all travellers will be quarantined in hotels unless they actually don't have symptoms and live in the city they landed in, then they are allowed to self-isolate with government monitoring for compliance.  

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Mom2mthj said:

Update from the local news tonight

Ford is testing their face shields in Detroit this week before ramping up production.  Partnering with 3M on masks and GE on respirators.  Sounded like those would be in production soon

GM making respirators - didn’t catch who they were partnering with

FCA is already in production on masks that they will be donating.  partnering with an Italian company on respirators

The Ford/3M/GE collaboration sounds really cool to me. In addition to making face shields with their 3D printers and working with GE to manufacture more ventilators, it sounds as if Ford has come up with a way to use parts from their F150 pickup truck cooled seats, along with parts 3M already has for filters, to make a new type of battery powered respirator. They're working with battery pack manufacturers to come up with a battery pack that can be worn at the waist that will power the masks for 8 hours.

• Like 10

If anyone were to look at a map of PA cases by county, they’d see that my county appears to be an outlier for high cases. We’re not in the Philly or Pittsburgh areas, we’re just hangin’ over here in our separate corner.  But, like I probably said several times already, our county of less than 170k is commuter-home, second home, and vacation rental home to lots and lots of New Yorkers (and New Jerseans.) 

As of last night, NYers are being told to self-quarantine for 14 days if they go somewhere, but they’ve already been circulating through our community forever. Cuomo and Trump have both specifically mentioned travel to places like Florida, but neither have mentioned the Poconos. And I believe it was Cuomo who mentioned that it would be difficult to identify/self-identify NY travelers, but I’ma tell you something - Poconoians (I may have just made that up) watch every license plate that passes them. And it’s easy b/c PA doesn’t have front license plates, while NY and NJ do. And there are enough good ol’ boys out here that that could be a problem. We didn’t see a lot of Asian-directed discrimination out here, but I’m definitely worried about what’s probably brewing when it comes to residency.

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Eliana said:

Outside is a great idea! thank you!  Dh joked that it would be strange to have a big holiday meal outside without the Sukkah (and he's right!), but it will be warmer and, I hope, drier, than it often is in the fall, so it might work perfectly.

No criticisms at all - lots of admiration for your hard work!    When I was in the ER last week (8 days of fever, chest tightness, mild congestion + some cardiac symptoms w/cardiac history. Results = negative COVID 19 test, no heart attack just low potassium, still supposed to be isolating until symptoms are gone.-

Good heavens, Eliana, so relieved that you are all right.! That is terrifying.  Please take care of yourself.   And an outdoor Seder sounds absolutely lovely. 

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

They are also now putting all international travellers in quarantine (not self-isolation). Jacinda said they couldn't do it before because there were just too many (like 100,000, and now only expecting 10K more) so if they tried to quarantine 100K people, they were likely to end up with the virus spreading through quarantine camps like on a cruise ship.  So they made the choice to go with self isolation for the past 2 weeks for all international travellers.  Starting tonight that stops, and all travellers will be quarantined in hotels unless they actually don't have symptoms and live in the city they landed in, then they are allowed to self-isolate with government monitoring for compliance.  

This is so smart.  Israel has also moved in this direction -- as the numbers have dropped, more returnees are housed in special facilities -- and it appears to be turning out that a horrifying percentage of people coming back did in fact contract the virus abroad.

We have been on mostly-lockdown since March 16 and the curve here is now starting to go up in a big way.  I keep reminding myself that contrary to how it feels, the situation is actually safer than it was 2 weeks ago, when everyone was still wandering around.  Tonight we are supposed to go into full lockdown, but of course since this is Israel no details have been released so people could, like, plan.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BeachGal said:

For those of you dealing with people moving in and all their germy stuff, you can quarantine things that aren’t needed immediately. Let it sit in a garage, storage locker, shed, etc. Three to four days should do the trick. Our 23 year old is staying with us during the SIP, and about 1/2 his belongings that he brought along are sitting in our storage locker and will be available to him this Thursday.

If you have the money, there’s a pretty good air purifier, a hyper hepa, you can buy for about $800 that can filter out the size of this virus. It’s made by IQAir, a Swiss company. It won’t get everything but could reduce the viruses. We have one and it works well.

I've been leaving all groceries and packages that don't need to go in the fridge or freezer out in the garage for a few days.

I've also been opening mail outside and dumping most of it in the recycle bin, and just bringing in the essential pieces.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Very powerful statement in that article from that pastor:  He urged his Facebook followers to stay at home, as public health experts are recommending. “We must keep the affected population to as low a number as possible. Our singular act of stubborn independence can have far reaching effects on someone else’s life.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, bolt. said:

No criticism, Quill -- totally admiring you over here! A few ideas, in case you are still brainstorming or improving.

Have you considered having her put the disposable dishes in a trash of her own?

Also, you could pass in a damp soapy cloth for her to wipe her high-touch surfaces daily.

Do you have a mesh laundry bag that you could keep her laundry together through the whole laundry process, limiting the number of individual items you touch yourself?

Thank you for presenting that nicely. 

She does have a big trashcan, lined with a black plastic bag, in her room. However, if she is already downstairs or on the patio, I haven’t taken her disposables up to her room. That would probably be better, though. I think I’m just lazy. 

On your second point, I have wondered about this. If she’s carrying the virus, what difference does it make if her own belongings are sanitized often? I hope that doesn’t sound dense. Of course fewer germs are better. But I guess my thinking is that we’re trying to prevent spread through our family, so I focus on items that come out of her suite to the rest of the house. Hmm. I’m not sure about this. 

For her laundry, I have a hamper lined with a black trashbag so I can dump it directly in the washer. 

8 minutes ago, Pippen said:

Very powerful statement in that article from that pastor:  He urged his Facebook followers to stay at home, as public health experts are recommending. “We must keep the affected population to as low a number as possible. Our singular act of stubborn independence can have far reaching effects on someone else’s life.”

Yes.  He articulated the situation very well.

• Like 1