Menu

Keeping warm in the winter

Moonhawk

This is our first year where we are going to actually have a cold winter. Average low will be 20-30 at night, highs during the day are 40-50. According to "averages", there are 4 months of the year to expect this fabled snow, Dec-Mar, around 3" each month. So obviously not the coldest, but still a change in how we need to think.  (And I know, some of you will not call my winter cold at all)

Main problem I see is at night: the wiring in this house is old, and wouldn't have met code even when it was built. We cannot use space heaters in the bedrooms. Electric blankets are a no go as well.  The windows are correspondingly old, the panes are thin and the windows are not tight (there is 1/2" gap between the different window sections) so they seep a lot of chill even now. The main room and the bathroom have built-in gas heaters, but other than maybe one bedroom, the heat will not travel effectively through the house. 

I've started searching for comforters. What else would you do to stay warm at night?

My winters are mild and I have worn winter clothes to sleep in for cold hotel rooms because my kids prefer the hotel room colder. My in-laws would sleep in sweaters and thick socks when they visit because they are used to even warmer climate (near the equator). 

My bedroom windows used to have a gap and I would stuff a towel there as a temporary measure, it reduced the wind chill significantly for us.

• Like 1

Oh, man. Not sure I have any great advice. On the off chance that money is no issue, lol, I’d look into a solar generator or two to run space heaters at night.

Heavy comforters are good. Wool socks are good.  Warm rice socks in bed are good. Heavy window coverings are good.

My biggest concern would be pipes freezing if the cold nights are long enough. My guess is that it won’t stay below freezing long enough for that to happen, but consider letting the faucets trickle a little. Though I’m not sure if that’s doable in Arizona with water issues.

• Like 3

Now that I have finished laughing at the thought of that as winter, I think each person should have pajamas and long underwear for people who really get cold.  My mom likes to sleep in a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up. I would hate that. I prefer to pull blankets and comforters over my head if necessary. I'd definitely get those kits that are plastic for your windows for insulation in the winter.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I’ve been kind of thinking it might be nice to retire somewhere that warm. 😂

We sleep with our heat off at night even in the middle of winter,  and at 30-50 our windows are probably still open at night. But since it’s cold to you, I guess pjs, a comforter and maybe a quilt? Flannel sheets are nice. I’m not really sure what else a person might need for sleeping? 

Seconding the plastic film over your windows if they aren’t fixable. Around here a lot of people hang heavy quilts over drafty windows to prevent heat escape. It works well in a pinch. 

• Like 3

That's not cold to us either. And we crank our heat WAY down at night.  On the coldest nights, we might use an extra blanket (after the sheet, blanket,duvet), wear smart wool socks. My husband will sleep in a hat sometimes and keeps one next to our bed.  Long underwear or onsies for pajamas.  I like long fleecy nightgowns myself.  

• Like 3

I would work on filling gaps at windows with spray foam insulation, and insulating the windows and doors. What kind of insulation is there in/under the floor? You may want to look into improving that. Also look into insulating the ceiling, roof and attic area, as hot air rises and will escape upwards.

You can use throw rugs to help keep floors more comfortable for feet. 

I think your best bet is to focus on not losing heat. Once a house is cold, it takes a lot of energy to heat it. If you lose all your heat every night, you'll be cold inside throughout the day. Even though you aren't in a seriously cold area, without effective insulation, you'll be uncomfortable trying to live daily in a "refrigerator." 

• Like 5

We use fleece sheets, which are amazing, and really bundle up in the house.  Lots of fleece.  I really like Cuddle Duds fleece leggings and shirts (I wear the shirts as a first or second layer).  I also layer socks with the outer pair being thick lined socks.  I don't like slippers but those would be good, too.  I love sherpa-lined socks, jackets, etc.  And I drink hot tea if I'm chilled.  

• Like 2

Black out curtains and cardboard box panel cut to fit the window help block cold air flowing in through windows.
Flannel sheets and pillow cases, but also a pillow propped up at the headboard to help block cold air flowing down over head and neck.
Wear a soft knit cap and long socks to bed, in addition to warm pjs.
Pile of blankets -- those soft fleecy ones can work well if you use several, and they don't add much weight if you don't like to feel trapped, lol.
Use a hair dryer to blow warm air under the covers right before going to bed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Confession of a Southern Girl who has never lived anywhere but south/southeast TX-- Until this thread I thought the historical type books where people wore caps to bed was some sort of fashion convention like powdered wigs, or something to do with protecting hair styles. It had never occurred to me that they were for warmth until this thread. 😂😂 I'm reading this and like "oh that makes so much more sense!!" 😂😂

Beds raised above drafty floor level and canopied also helped for warmth.  Turned bed into a tent.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Moonhawk said:

This is our first year where we are going to actually have a cold winter. Average low will be 20-30 at night, highs during the day are 40-50. According to "averages", there are 4 months of the year to expect this fabled snow, Dec-Mar, around 3" each month. So obviously not the coldest, but still a change in how we need to think.  (And I know, some of you will not call my winter cold at all)

Main problem I see is at night: the wiring in this house is old, and wouldn't have met code even when it was built. We cannot use space heaters in the bedrooms. Electric blankets are a no go as well.  The windows are correspondingly old, the panes are thin and the windows are not tight (there is 1/2" gap between the different window sections) so they seep a lot of chill even now. The main room and the bathroom have built-in gas heaters, but other than maybe one bedroom, the heat will not travel effectively through the house. 

I've started searching for comforters. What else would you do to stay warm at night?

Are you saying your house doesn’t have central heating?

(Sorry to be so clueless!)

• Like 2

I know you said no space heater, but what about a radiant oil heater? Those temps are pretty much our fall weather, so trying to think of what I’d use now. I would definitely want to put an end to drafty windows, and if I couldn’t do it properly, I would go for a combination of window plastic and thermal curtains. Up north I made under-door draft blockers out of old jeans and rice. I’ve seen the same to lay along the bottom of window sills. Also up north, I hung curtains at the bottom of the stairway to keep all the heat from rising to the second floor.

• Like 3

have you looked into weatherproofing?  you can add "sealant" (sorry, the word escapes me) to the window pane edges to help close the gaps.  you can also buy kits/diy frames with heavy clear plastic over windows (outside) to help weatherproof (helpful with single pane.)  insulated curtains for inside.

down comforters (you can throw a heavy wool blanket on top) are warm.   if it's super cold, I've been known to put a hot pad where my feet go for about 15 minutes before I get in bed.

flannel sheets, flannel/fleece jammies - and socks even in bed.   Costco has real sheepskin slippers this time of year.  great for keeping your feet warm (I'd stick them on without socks.  even in the snow, my feet were warm and dry. 

wool is warm - even when wet.  polar/microfiber fleece.  acrylic (a lot of sweaters are made from this, because it's cheap) - is NOT *warm*!.

• Like 2

I've lived in the Midwest and the Southwest and the Northeast and winter is cold wherever you are - although maybe not until the second year! 😄

One thing I didn't see mentioned is Mr. Buddy, our small propane heater. It runs off the propane canisters that you use for camp stoves and lanterns and such. We keep it for extended power outages. 

• Like 2

Sorry people are being so snarky about what is or is not cold to them.  If it's cold to YOU it's cold.  You're not asking our opinion about what we consider cold.  Hrumph. 

I've struggled more with cold in recent years and if I get chilled it is hard for me to warm up again without help - such as a hot bath or heating blanket.  Even comforters and thick pjs is not enough when this happens to me.

I would also recommend weatherproofing your windows.  Check out Youtube videos for winterizing ideas. 

I would block any non-neccessary windows with a large sheet of hard insulation.  I'm talking about bathroom windows for instance.

Definitely look into the clear plastic for other windows. 

I second hot water bottles or something you can heat up in the microwave to put under the blankets.  That way you get into a warm bed.  It makes a huge difference for me too. 

wool socks at night.  There is such a huge difference between cotton and wool.

If you go the propane route please make sure you get a CO2 monitor for each room.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Heated mattress pads and warm pajamas make all the difference in our household!  (That way we can keep the heat turned down, too.)

ETA:  Oh, and flannel sheets are great!   Also, wearing socks surprisingly helps me feel warm all over.  (Otherwise I have especially cold feet during the first part of the night, and that makes me feel cold all over.)

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

The windows are correspondingly old, the panes are thin and the windows are not tight (there is 1/2" gap between the different window sections) so they seep a lot of chill even now.

We hang wool blankets over the windows at night to stop drafts and insulate.  Just wrap them around the curtain rods. Take them down in the day, or don't in the worst of winter.

Also, hot water bottles are key. And hats to sleep in. I have been known to put a scarf around my neck to really insulate while I sleep. 

Dehumidify your house -- damp is colder.

My boy's room can get to 45 degrees at night, and this has worked. 

• Like 3

We use rice/wheat kernel bean bags (2-3 cups of rice or wheat kernels sewn into a cotton cloth cover) that we warm up in the microwave.  I like to use mine to warm up the bed before I get in.  The kids carry them around the house and cuddle up with them all day long.  Cheap and effective.

We use improvised hot water bottles (normal nalgene water bottle filled with hot water) to warm up sleeping bags while camping  (because of course there is no microwave in the tent 🙂 ) and they work amazingly well.  A real hot water bottle would be more comfortable, I'm sure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

Well, as we still have no heat here except for two little ones in the bathrooms, and the fact that we've been below zero numerous times this fall, I'm an expert at this! I have two quilts and a down comforter on the bed. And I sleep in long johns, flannel nightgown, two pairs of wool socks AND a fleece jacket! The two nights it was -5, I also wore a hat. I'm about to add wool shirt under the nightgown, and I've been known to sleep in ski pants... The trick is to keep the washing machine plumbing from freezing. Haven't frozen anything yet this year, but I've been close. No heat again tonight. We have insulated shutters for the greenhouse, plus "warm windows" for the other windows--they're like giant quilts. Since you'll be wearing all those layers in the daytime too, make sure you put on DRY, clean stuff at night. Don't be lazy and not change socks or you'll be cold all night. And do a lot of baking and run the oven... 

This so much.  When I was backpacking and hiking/camping this was a must.  I would take a sponge bath even in the freezing night to rinse off the daytime sweat.   Even now at home I take a hot bath or shower just about every night before bed to rinse off the oils from sweating during the day.    If I don't I'm up most of the night feeling cold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you do cover windows as previous posters have suggested, consider not covering your south-facing windows. Sun can warm your interior considerably during the day. I think it's more than enough to compensate for any heat loss at night. 

Of course, if it's just a matter of pulling down a shade at night, that's easy, and you can pull it up in the morning.. But I wouldn't put drywall that stays in place over a south-facing window that gets sun. 

My area gets down to -15 in winter, and solar warming through our south-facing windows makes a big difference.

Amy 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 3

I agree with the above. Growing up in Colorado, I left the window by my bed cracked so I could have fresh air all night. Here where I am in Texas, that's not possible.

One thing I would add is to put the foam sheets under your outlet and light switch covers. They're cut to size. Once it gets cold out, feel for any drafts. We've used a piece of Kleenex if we needed to find where the draft was coming from. The Kleenex is light and flexible enough to move with the slightest breeze. When you know where the drafts are, you can figure out how to eliminate them.

Do you have a fireplace or wood stove?

• Like 2

I’d recommend bedcaps/hats to heat body heat in, and to dress warmly.  

Get those foam insulation strips to help seal window gaps.  Caulk.  Use the plastic stuff over the windows. If budget allows, cellular shades and insulated curtains/drapes at the windows as well.

old fashioned hot water bottles in the beds.

Your house?  I’d have your utility company come out and do a survey (they are free here).  They’ll measure insulation, look for gaps etc. and make recommendations.

so no room for space heaters?  The electric radiators are pretty safe. And work great.

• Like 3

It is my understanding that lots of layers on top are better than on the body.    The rationale being that you are your own best heater!  When the body can touch itself - leg to leg, arm to chest, through thin light layers, warmth is preserved & shared.  In contrast, when one isolates each limb, those limbs become cold little 'islands'.

So, I recommend flannel sheets, which will feel less cold to the touch, and light nighties.

Edited by Familia
Grammar...always grammar!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Well, as we still have no heat here except for two little ones in the bathrooms, and the fact that we've been below zero numerous times this fall, I'm an expert at this! I have two quilts and a down comforter on the bed. And I sleep in long johns, flannel nightgown, two pairs of wool socks AND a fleece jacket! The two nights it was -5, I also wore a hat. I'm about to add wool shirt under the nightgown, and I've been known to sleep in ski pants... The trick is to keep the washing machine plumbing from freezing. Haven't frozen anything yet this year, but I've been close. No heat again tonight. We have insulated shutters for the greenhouse, plus "warm windows" for the other windows--they're like giant quilts. Since you'll be wearing all those layers in the daytime too, make sure you put on DRY, clean stuff at night. Don't be lazy and not change socks or you'll be cold all night. And do a lot of baking and run the oven... 

Why don't you have heat?

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the suggestions!! I'll try to answer the questions

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

My biggest concern would be pipes freezing if the cold nights are long enough. My guess is that it won’t stay below freezing long enough for that to happen, but consider letting the faucets trickle a little. Though I’m not sure if that’s doable in Arizona with water issues.

Okay, I'll keep them trickling, the plumbing has enough problems as it is, lol. I can put a bucket at least on the kitchen sink so it can go out to the garden in the morning. The shower already has a leak so that's a win I guess ? lol

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Are you saying your house doesn’t have central heating?

(Sorry to be so clueless!)

Correct. Only heating we have are two small gas heaters built into the wall. They are situated so that they won't really heat up anything except the rooms they are in. 

1 hour ago, wathe said:

We use rice/wheat kernel bean bags (2-3 cups of rice or wheat kernels sewn into a cotton cloth cover) that we warm up in the microwave.  I like to use mine to warm up the bed before I get in.  The kids carry them around the house and cuddle up with them all day long.  Cheap and effective.

Can you warm these up in an oven or does it have to be microwave?

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

Kerosene heater during the waking hours.  Absolutely turn it off before bed, make sure it's totally out, just as you would for something like a fireplace, but it can be great to really heat up a house right before bed and then "let it ride" so to speak.

Wow, there are a lot of different type of heaters! Thanks for this

36 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

If you own the home, could you have additional gas lines run to other rooms and add natural gas wall heaters in more rooms?

We don't own, and while we are allowed to make any changes we want to the house, I don't know if we'll be here long enough to recoup the cost.

23 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

Do you have a fireplace or wood stove?

No to both.

20 minutes ago, matrips said:

Your house?  I’d have your utility company come out and do a survey (they are free here).  They’ll measure insulation, look for gaps etc. and make recommendations.

so no room for space heaters?  The electric radiators are pretty safe. And work great.

I do know that there is no insulation in the walls, we had to repair some mold when we moved in and found out when we opened up the wall. And the gaps...well, this is the definition of a ramshackle house, lol. But! we got through the monsoon season with no real leaks so that counts for a lot. 

Another type of heater, wow! All the ones I'm seeing need to be plugged in, is there another type that I am missing? I was told it's best not to plug anything stronger than a lamp into the room outlets "just in case." So, we just don't plug anything in. 

• Sad 3

Why can’t you use electric blankets? They use a lot less power than your furnace or hot water heater and I’m assuming those will be running. 

In the winter, keep heavy drapes over the windows. You can fake the efficiency of new windows with heavy curtains and that plastic window seal that you tighten with a hair dryer. 

A microwaveable rice or corn bag is awesome for putting at your feet at night. But some thick, fuzzy pjs, wool socks, and silk long underwear. Or just wear leggings under your pants since you’re not dealing with super cold temps. Owning house slippers will help. Also, wearing a hood or a knit cap indoors or while sleeping will go a long way. Build up a scarf collection. Drink hot drinks and take hot baths. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

The internet says yes, but I would be concerned about burning the bag, and the risk of it catching fire.  And I don't want to wait half and hour each time I need to warm up the bag!

I would definitely use a hot water bottle instead if I didn't have a microwave.*

*ETA - Hot water bottle would be way faster than oven heating a bean bag.  I am impatient!

Edited by wathe
  • Thanks 1

I find bathing in middle part of day (so as not to have damp hair at bedtime) and oiling my skin after (like with sesame, olive, or coconut oil) helps with keeping warmer. 

And a type of long john from llbean both as under clothes and pajamas that combined merino wool with some cotton and nylon were great but I discovered they were discontinued.  I’m looking for a substitute.  

• Like 1

Well, you should insulate your house, but that's a long term thing. What you can do right now, on the cheap:

1. Run painter's tape or duct tape along the window cracks. In rooms you don't use, put heavy draft-blocking curtains on the windows. (I don't use these in rooms I do use because I need the sunlight.)

2. In rooms you use very frequently, tape an additional layer of plastic over the entire windowframe. You can use saran wrap, but heavy duty plastic like you get at Home Depot is much better - basically, imagine how a serial killer would keep blood from splattering on the walls and do that. (Like Dexter!)

3. Definitely run insulation around the doors. Use draft blockers at the foot of the exterior doors. We also hang heavy duty draft blocking curtains in front of the outside doors.

4. Invest in some serious hot water bottles, sweaters, warm bathrobes, thermal undies, warm slippers. Perhaps even fingerless gloves. You'll use the hot water bottles at bedtime (with extra blankies!) and you'll dress warmly inside the house. Even a very cold house isn't too bad when you're wearing long underwear, two sets of jammies, and a nice robe.

5. Put your jammies in the dryer right before bedtime. 10 minutes and they're nice and warm. Repeat this process with your clothing in the morning, or lay out tomorrow's clothes on the radiator overnight.

• Like 6

Although those temperatures are normal to me, I have a centrally-heated house and the bedrooms will have been warmer during the day - around 60F - before the heat goes off at night.

For your situation, in addition to the suggestions given - hot water bottles, flannel sheets and duvet covers, fresh wool socks, flannel PJ's or sweats, hats as necessary - I would add going to bed warm.

When I stayed at my mum's house, which was 200 years old, draughty and lacking central heating, the only way to be warm in bed was to do bunny hops for several minutes before jumping in. A hot bath didn't work because the bathroom was so cold.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have lived in both Chicago and Buffalo during the winter.  A combination of things helped to stay warm: heat shrink plastic over the windows, weather stripping around the doors and the little foam inserts that go behind outlet plates.  I also made draft-stoppers for the bottom of the door, (old socks filled with rice). 

Dressing in layers helps: turtleneck with a shirt over it.  Long johns for when it was really cold! Socks and warm slippers. Don't sit with wet hair! And do NOT go out with wet hair! It's a long, dull story, but I got hypothermia once partly because of damp hair and working up a sweat shoveling snow.  Don't do that!  Put on warm, clean, dry socks and jammies before bed.  Also, a down comforter and flannel sheets really help.  You don't need bulky layers to stay warm.  I found that a few thin layers plus one bulky layer worked well. 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 3

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned them, but we use draft dodgers on interior doors here.  I have 4 separate doors that lead to attic ductwork and each of those has a flannel draft dodger shoved up against it. Same with the basement, when we stop going down there during the winter. We've caulked the areas we can, too, including using spray foam around pipes that lead to the exterior (like the dryer vent).  Everyone in our house has flannel sheets, down/down alternative comforters, and a rug on their floor.  The kids are above the garage and the floors can get pretty chilly between them.  We tend to congregate in one of two rooms during the day: living room with blankets and kitchen where there's always something cooking or water going for tea.  We dress in layers, lots of layers, and wear wool socks all winter.
Our home is currently set at 60 for the bedrooms and 65 for the living room.  It'll be that way until around April, when we turn the heat off for good.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

Thanks for all of the suggestions!! I'll try to answer the questions

Okay, I'll keep them trickling, the plumbing has enough problems as it is, lol. I can put a bucket at least on the kitchen sink so it can go out to the garden in the morning. The shower already has a leak so that's a win I guess ? lol

Correct. Only heating we have are two small gas heaters built into the wall. They are situated so that they won't really heat up anything except the rooms they are in. 

Wow, there are a lot of different type of heaters! Thanks for this

We don't own, and while we are allowed to make any changes we want to the house, I don't know if we'll be here long enough to recoup the cost.

No to both.

I do know that there is no insulation in the walls, we had to repair some mold when we moved in and found out when we opened up the wall. And the gaps...well, this is the definition of a ramshackle house, lol. But! we got through the monsoon season with no real leaks so that counts for a lot. 

Another type of heater, wow! All the ones I'm seeing need to be plugged in, is there another type that I am missing? I was told it's best not to plug anything stronger than a lamp into the room outlets "just in case." So, we just don't plug anything in. 

Can you move?

I’m not kidding. Your house doesn’t sound like it’s just drafty; it sounds unsafe — aside from the lack of heating and the potential mold issues, the electrical system may pose a serious fire hazard. 

I am so sorry you have to deal with this.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I live in a region with cold, but not bitterly cold, winters. But I am one of those freezing people. I thought it might be different this winter because I had hot flashes all summer, but now that it’s getting cold, I’m freezing as always. 

For sleeping: flannel sheets on the bed, a down comforter, a bedspread and a small quilt I put just over me. (Dh is hot and even took his shirt off last night; I don’t even understand that!) I sleep in sweatshirts and leggings or fleece pj bottoms. I always wear fuzzy socks to bed. Sometimes I wear an underarmor top under my sweatshirt. 

During the day, at home, I wear shearling moccasin slippers at all times because my feet are cold all the time. If I will be outside, such as watching a sports game, I overdress for warmth and I have a blanket if needed. I have down coats, warm boots, sometimes layer jeans over fleece-lined leggings, often wear two layers up top (shirt and sweater) and I make use of scarves, hats, and gloves. 

I hate being cold. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Although those temperatures are normal to me, I have a centrally-heated house and the bedrooms will have been warmer during the day - around 60F - before the heat goes off at night.

For your situation, in addition to the suggestions given - hot water bottles, flannel sheets and duvet covers, fresh wool socks, flannel PJ's or sweats, hats as necessary - I would add going to bed warm.

When I stayed at my mum's house, which was 200 years old, draughty and lacking central heating, the only way to be warm in bed was to do bunny hops for several minutes before jumping in. A hot bath didn't work because the bathroom was so cold.

Adds new meaning to the phrase, “hop into bed”. 😄

• Haha 4

I like the suggestions for weather proofing the house.

In the meanwhile, I wear a hat to bed most nights in the winter.  

Also, this is a big one:  tuck your pj ankles into your socks, and tuck your pj shirt into your pants.  Your heat will not escape if your pj legs or shirt slide up when you’re in bed.  You don’t want any skin exposed to the air if you want to stay warm.  Wear thermal underwear under the pjs and a robe over the pjs.  

For the daytime: I have a robe with a hood and a zipper up the front.  I wear that in the daytime when I get cold in the house.  The zipper is nice.  Robes that tie in the front are always opening, but the zipper never does, so I never lose my heat.  If I get a chill, I put the hood up and warm up pretty fast. 

For me, who is cold most of the time, covering my head is a big part of staying warm.  And layers.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Confession of a Southern Girl who has never lived anywhere but south/southeast TX-- Until this thread I thought the historical type books where people wore caps to bed was some sort of fashion convention like powdered wigs, or something to do with protecting hair styles. It had never occurred to me that they were for warmth until this thread. 😂😂 I'm reading this and like "oh that makes so much more sense!!" 😂😂

When you are cold, the first two things to make sure are covered are head and feet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quill said:

But I am one of those freezing people. I thought it might be different this winter because I had hot flashes all summer, but now that it’s getting cold, I’m freezing as always. 

For sleeping: flannel sheets on the bed, a down comforter, a bedspread and a small quilt I put just over me. (Dh is hot and even took his shirt off last night; I don’t even understand that!) I sleep in sweatshirts and leggings or fleece pj bottoms. I always wear fuzzy socks to bed. Sometimes I wear an underarmor top under my sweatshirt. 

During the day, at home, I wear shearling moccasin slippers at all times because my feet are cold all the time. If I will be outside, such as watching a sports game, I overdress for warmth and I have a blanket if needed. I have down coats, warm boots, sometimes layer jeans over fleece-lined leggings, often wear two layers up top (shirt and sweater) and I make use of scarves, hats, and gloves. 

I hate being cold. 

Yes!  This is me, too!  

• Like 2

I’m in the process of blocking off drafty spots for winter now.

I use masking tape for some spots (over old skeleton key holes) and stuff called Mor-tite for others (many brands exist, another is called Snowking or something like that).

Mortite is coiled moldable stuff that stays removable and pliable after a whole winter that can go along window edges to seal them.  If you can use the plastic shrink wrap stuff that’s better because it gives a double window type thing with air space, some of our neighbors used that and it was definitely warmer, but if you can’t then the Mor-tote can help. Or even both—one to block wind and one to double layer. 

I also use snake dog toys at bottoms of doors.  There are things actually made for it, but a long toy or rolled towel works pretty well. 

• Like 1

I live in a vey cold climate with the typical housing stock being old, poorly insulated, and insufficiently heated....including my own house.  I have to take extra measures to stay warm indoor for 7 months of the year.  Aside from the other good suggestions, I have additional ones.

We usually wear winter hats to bed, as others suggested, but we also tend to wear neck buffs and wrist warmers too.

When getting into bed, I wait until the last minute to take off my shirt then wrap my feet in that still-warm shirt under the covers.  Once my feet get cold, it takes hours to get my whole body warm so this is a preventative measure.  

I drink hot tea almost all day long.

• Like 1