Menu

Who will be most mourned when they die?

Teaching3bears

by the press and the people?  Which famous person, entertainer, politician, etc.?

I thought of the Queen and Oprah.  Who do you think?

I also realize that I am looking at things from a very Western point of view.  What about internationally?  Or, who will be most mourned in China, India, etc?

It's funny because today I was thinking of how sad it will be when Tom Hanks dies. Not sure why that thought popped into my head, but there it is. I think he is one of the few who is overall likeable. Ron Howard and Harrison Ford rank up there for me.

I cannot think of anyone alive today who would inspire the level of mourning Andy Griffith, Fred Rogers and Billy Graham did, but if I had to pick one person's death that would lead to a high level of mass mourning I guess it would be Barack Obama.

I can't imagine mourning the death of a queen, but then I don't have much admiration for "royalty".

Personally, I know I will cry buckets when Raffi dies.

• Like 5

I can't come up with an answer to who will be mourned by the people. I've never known anyone who has truly mourned the death of a public figure, beyond a momentary "Aw, that's too bad" - so no one is coming to mind who would inspire mass grief.

Who will receive the most endless media coverage? Either of the Obamas.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Keanu Reeves! 😎❤️

Interesting..  He was one of the first to pop into my head, too.  But then I wondered if only people of a certain age would grieve him.  I was 16 when Bill and Ted’s came out and I loooved that movie and feel like I’ve grown up with him.  My MIL probably doesn’t feel the same way about him.  There’s probably some other actor she feels that way about.

Edited by Garga

2 hours ago, Garga said:

Interesting..  He was one of the first to pop into my head, too.  But then I wondered if only people of a certain age would grieve him.  I was 16 when Bill and Ted’s came out and I loooved that movie and feel like I’ve grown up with him.  My MIL probably doesn’t feel the same way about him.  There’s probably some other actor she feels that way about.

Dangerous Liaisons! *Swooning*

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

It's funny because today I was thinking of how sad it will be when Tom Hanks dies. Not sure why that thought popped into my head, but there it is. I think he is one of the few who is overall likeable. Ron Howard and Harrison Ford rank up there for me.

I cannot think of anyone alive today who would inspire the level of mourning Andy Griffith, Fred Rogers and Billy Graham did, but if I had to pick one person's death that would lead to a high level of mass mourning I guess it would be Barack Obama.

I can't imagine mourning the death of a queen, but then I don't have much admiration for "royalty".

That was literally my first thought.

2 hours ago, Garga said:

There's going to be a Bill and Ted 3 - he's filming it now. I only know this because my ds19 loves the John Wick movies and is a big Keanu fan.🙂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

There are several people that will be deeply mourned, but in a different way, I believe, because it will not be unexpected, due to their age. For me, that is Jimmy Carter, Willie Nelson, Robert Redford. And Dan Rather. I admire that person so much it’s hard to describe.

❤️ Willie Nelson, not for his music, but for saving 70 horses that were being shipped to slaughter and bringing them to his ranch to live out their lives in peace. He is truly a hero in my eyes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

❤️ Willie Nelson, not for his music, but for saving 70 horses that were being shipped to slaughter and bringing them to his ranch to live out their lives in peace. He is truly a hero in my eyes.

Thanks for sharing this. It warms my heart to read that story. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Garga said:

He's just all-around awesome

https://www.boredpanda.com/positive-things-keanu-reeves/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

2 hours ago, Selkie said:

God bless you, Willie Nelson. ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 1

So one person who died a few years back in Pakistan is Abdul Sattar Edhi.  Most Americans/Westerners have never heard of him.  He was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize at least once.  He did so much for so many.   https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36752208

"

Mr Edhi came from a family of Gujarati traders and arrived in Pakistan in 1947.

But he decided to take up philanthropy after seeing how the state failed to help his family care for his paralysed and ill mother, Dawn newspaper reported.

He opened his first clinic in 1951 and the Edhi Foundation grew to be the country's largest welfare organisation, running schools, hospitals and ambulance services across the country, often plugging gaps in services which the state simply fails to provide."

Two videos.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-29216894/abdul-sattar-edhi-a-life-dedicated-to-helping-others

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-36754518/the-legacy-of-pakistan-philanthropist-abdul-sattar-edhi

I agree with Pope Francis, QEII, Oprah, Jimmy Carter, and Obama...definitely.  Actually everybody on this page.  

I think, though, when somebody dies young (like Diana) or suddenly/unexpectedly (George Michael, Michael Jackson, or Prince), the grief is more profound.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

When I read the title of this thread, I thought about when Robin Williams passed away.  I feel like he was one of those people that just seemed to have universally touched everyone and even though there wasn't some world wide overall "mourning period" I feel like most folks really felt the sting of his passing.

And when I typed "world wide overall mourning period" I Princess Diana popped in my head.

SO....in terms of people that I think most folks will genuinely miss....Morgan Freeman.  I just can't imagine him passing away.  And I agree with Tom Hanks.  

In terms of people that the world will probably have some mourning period over....Queen Elizabeth is probably going to inspire a lot of world wide mourning.  If for no other reason than the fact that she is the monarch of so many countries, even if not their sovereign leader.  

Also, keeping it in the Royal family, honest, if Prince William or Princess Catherine or any of their kids were to pass away suddenly, I think the world would probably flip out.  

ETA: I will say there are probably a bazillion more people who deserve a lot more recognition when they pass, but they just aren't as well known.  

I felt that way about Neil Armstrong. Like the eyes of the whole world were turned to the moon when he took that first step, and for many again in remembrance when he died.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Selkie said:

I can't come up with an answer to who will be mourned by the people. I've never known anyone who has truly mourned the death of a public figure, beyond a momentary "Aw, that's too bad" - so no one is coming to mind who would inspire mass grief.

Who will receive the most endless media coverage? Either of the Obamas.

My kids were pretty torn up when Steve Irwin died.   My 24 yr old says she still cries about it when she thinks back to that.  It was pretty sad.  I remember crying, and I wasn't a huge fan of his.. .but I know how much my kids loved him.

People were pretty upset when Carrie Fisher died.  I was in the "aw, that's too bad."  But I know people who were very sad about it. 

• Like 5

When I think about Queen Elizabeth dying, I think about all the witness to history that will go. I read once that she's probably met more people in her lifetime than just about anyone else who's ever lived. When she attends an event (60th anniversary of ____, 70th anniversary of____), she's often one of a very few people who were witness to it the first time around. And the craziest part is that she can only sort of speak to these things publicly because of her apolitical role. I can't imagine all those untapped thoughts and experiences! 

• Like 12

14 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

My kids were pretty torn up when Steve Irwin died.   My 24 yr old says she still cries about it when she thinks back to that.  It was pretty sad.  I remember crying, and I wasn't a huge fan of his.. .but I know how much my kids loved him.

People were pretty upset when Carrie Fisher died.  I was in the "aw, that's too bad."  But I know people who were very sad about it. 

We are still gutted by these two deaths.  I have cried about them both.

I see things and think "they would've been a part of that" and it feels like a loss.

I've had a lot of loss in my life.  You'd think my brain would give me a break regarding people I don't know but nope.

I agree it's probably a generational thing.

I remember my mom crying when Elvis died. She insists now that she didn't, but it's one of my clearest early memories (I was about 3). Also when JFK Jr died my folks were upset about it, probably because they remembered the little boy saluting the casket. I didn't have much in the way of feelings about either one.

I will admit to being very shook up - not sad or mourning exactly, because I didn't know him obviously - when Luke Perry died recently. It just seemed so surreal that the Dylan/Lane Frost of my unrequited teenage love fantasies should be dead. But my mom probably didn't even know who he was 😊

Edited by Momto6inIN

23 hours ago, Selkie said:

This discussion about the death of Willie Nelson reminds me of one of his songs: Still Not Dead: 

I woke up still not dead again today
The internet said I had passed away
But if I died I wasn't dead to stay
And I woke up still not dead again today

Well, I woke up still not dead again today
The gardener did not find me that a way
You can't believe a word that people say
And I woke up still not dead again today...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/30/2019 at 8:34 PM, kbutton said:

When I think about Queen Elizabeth dying, I think about all the witness to history that will go. I read once that she's probably met more people in her lifetime than just about anyone else who's ever lived. When she attends an event (60th anniversary of ____, 70th anniversary of____), she's often one of a very few people who were witness to it the first time around. And the craziest part is that she can only sort of speak to these things publicly because of her apolitical role. I can't imagine all those untapped thoughts and experiences! 

I hope she is writing an autobiography to be published a certain number of years after her death. I doubt it, it doesn't seem a "royal" thing to do, but I hope so.

• Like 2

I remember sobbing when they were showing all the coverage of Princess Diana. It was not because she passed (although that was certainly awful), but because of her children. My heart was just broken for them.

I typically don’t mourn much over celebrities/musicians, because it’s not like their losses really affect me, and their work always lives on, but, for some reason, I was really broken up over Paul Walker dying. I think it’s because he was just such a cool, interesting, and BEAUTIFUL person in real life. He reminded me a bit of Keanu in the sense that he never seemed to let being famous get to him, and he did a lot for others. I still have a twinge of sadness when his picture pops up somewhere.

• Like 1

If you're talking worldwide I would agree with Queen Elizabeth and Paul McCartney as probably being the two biggest. 

When Elvis died my mother couldn't believe it. She didn't actually mourn but she was really upset. He was a year younger than her and she was a big fan. That weekend I was moving to Georgia for my first teaching job and we heard nothing but Elvis music on the radio all the way from Central Florida to South Georgia. Every station was playing his songs. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 8:21 PM, May said:

Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Mark Levin. Ok, now you know I’m a conservative😊

While a very accurate reflection of the current mood in the US, it’s very sad to think that individuals who have spent much of their careers sowing discord and negativity would be the most mourned. I would hope it would be someone who inspires and brings out the best in others and makes the world a better place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9

25 minutes ago, Hyacinth said:

I’ll mourn for James Taylor and Bruce Springsteen. Maybe Billy Joel, too. They wrote much of the soundtrack of my life. 

Agreeing with Tom Hanks for his universal appeal.  

Oh yeah....and Neil Diamond is getting up in age.  So many of his songs were favorites of mine.

I remember being completely shocked when John Denver died (well never returned after heading out in his airplane). 😞

On 7/3/2019 at 9:54 AM, Frances said:

While a very accurate reflection of the current mood in the US, it’s very sad to think that individuals who have spent much of their careers sowing discord and negativity would be the most mourned. I would hope it would be someone who inspires and brings out the best in others and makes the world a better place.

We can agree to disagree. I believe, with many others, they voice what many are thinking and believe.

2 hours ago, May said:

We can agree to disagree. I believe, with many others, they voice what many are thinking and believe.

I absolutely agree they voice what many are thinking and believe. No disagreement there.

But I also think that if your beliefs and thoughts are moral and true, you don’t need a daily dose of anger and division from shock jocks or other personalities to affirm them.

Edited by Frances
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Frances said:

I absolutely agree they voice what many are thinking and believe. No disagreement there.

But I also think that if your beliefs and thoughts are moral and true, you don’t need a daily dose of anger and division from shock jocks or other personalities to affirm them.

Have you ever listened to any of them or just snippets from other sites? Again, we can agree to disagree.🌺

4 hours ago, May said:

Have you ever listened to any of them or just snippets from other sites? Again, we can agree to disagree.🌺

I’ve listened to quite a bit to Rush Limbaugh because my brother is a fan, and we used to spend lots of car time together. Fox News is almost always on at his house, so I’ve also seen Sean Hannity’s show several times. Outside of his home or with him in the car, I don’t watch or listen to any news. I personally prefer the quieter, less emotionally charged, and often more in-depth print news sources.

I will say though that as a former psychology major, I do find listening to or watching them and others occasionally fascinating, as they are absolute masters of their craft.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2019 at 9:47 AM, Lady Florida. said:

I saw that last night. Then I wondered how many people would realize what a big deal he once was.

My 15 y.o. car fanatic knows who he was. I asked him out of curiosity, and he learned about him via a documentary about the Mustang.

• Like 1

Patrick Stewart, Collin Firth, Michael J Fox for sure! If Chris Pratt goes during my life time, ...will be uber sad. Tom Hanks...I don't think there will be a dry eye when he goes. I will be quite upset when Kenny Rogers goes, but I don't think he will illicit the response that someone like Tom Hanks would. 

On 6/30/2019 at 12:37 AM, BakersDozen said:

He was being interviewed for how it was to finish filming the final Toy Story movie. He talked about how sad it was to say good-bye. And it made me think of when he died. I think Tom Hanks will be the most mourned. He is not political so there are no lines drawn there. Everyone loves him. We all all miss him. He is relevant to all, young and old. 

• Like 1