Menu

Who will be most mourned when they die?

Teaching3bears

It won't be anyone political. Half the people won't care when someone political dies.  I agree that if Prince William or Kate or any of their kids died, it would be like Princess Diana all over again. Because of politics, it will not be anyone directly in politics, nor will it be anyone who was open about their politics or related. So it won't be Rush Limbaugh, Michelle Obama,  Bill Gates, not even Elton John (even though I adore him). The most mourned person would have to be someone who has drawn no political lines that might alienate half the people. It also needs to be someone loved by all generations. This is why Tom Hanks and Princess Diana's children and grandchildren would be the likely ones. 

3 hours ago, Janeway said:

Patrick Stewart, Collin Firth, Michael J Fox for sure! If Chris Pratt goes during my life time, ...will be uber sad. Tom Hanks...I don't think there will be a dry eye when he goes. I will be quite upset when Kenny Rogers goes, but I don't think he will illicit the response that someone like Tom Hanks would. 

I agree with most of these, but I'm really surprised that so many people think of Tom Hanks...  

3 hours ago, J-rap said:

I agree with most of these, but I'm really surprised that so many people think of Tom Hanks...  

It is because Tom Hanks has affected all age ranges and his movies have been released world wide. He has never taken sides on politics or anything that would alienate anyone.  I love Patrick Stewart but suspect those in the UK and then the Trekkies will be the ones mourning him. I do not think he has touched all generations or cultures like Tom Hanks. And Collin Firth....I am unsure if any men will care when he dies...or anyone under 35 yrs old.  Michael J Fox was loved and is loved by anyone under 35 too. But if you were not a part of the "Back to the Future" generation or Family Ties, then you might not know who he is much.  Chris Pratt is probably only loved by those under a certain age and in to a certain genre of TV and movies.  Anyone who is politically motivated, like the Obamas, the Trumps, the Bushes, none of them will get the level of mourning or attention that Tom Hanks will get.  In fact, when each of the Obamas, Trumps, Bushes, and Clintons go, half the country won't likely care much. They will get fan fare because there is protocol for former presidents and first ladies, and the media will say a bunch, but it won't be the coming together and love people have universally for the likes of Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, etc.

Edited by Janeway

8 hours ago, Janeway said:

It is because Tom Hanks has affected all age ranges and his movies have been released world wide. He has never taken sides on politics or anything that would alienate anyone.  I love Patrick Stewart but suspect those in the UK and then the Trekkies will be the ones mourning him. I do not think he has touched all generations or cultures like Tom Hanks. And Collin Firth....I am unsure if any men will care when he dies...or anyone under 35 yrs old.  Michael J Fox was loved and is loved by anyone under 35 too. But if you were not a part of the "Back to the Future" generation or Family Ties, then you might not know who he is much.  Chris Pratt is probably only loved by those under a certain age and in to a certain genre of TV and movies.  Anyone who is politically motivated, like the Obamas, the Trumps, the Bushes, none of them will get the level of mourning or attention that Tom Hanks will get.  In fact, when each of the Obamas, Trumps, Bushes, and Clintons go, half the country won't likely care much. They will get fan fare because there is protocol for former presidents and first ladies, and the media will say a bunch, but it won't be the coming together and love people have universally for the likes of Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, etc.

Actually, Tom Hanks has been pretty open and vocal about being a liberal Democrat.