Menu

Do you know an 'Eeyore'?

Laura Corin

My mum has never recognised a half-full glass.  Today's comment was her best yet, though. 

She had taken the minibus from our house to the supermarket.  Because she finds the step a bit high, the driver let her out the back of the bus, using the platform that lowers down mechanically.  She was explaining the platform to me (again) then said, "I think that's for coffins."

What's your favourite 'Eeyore' remark?

• Like 21

Once, my husband started explaining how terrible it would be to win the lottery, how it would utterly ruin one's life. 

(I get that winning the lottery is not the key to happiness, but I still think it takes a true Eeyore to think that being handed a massive amount of money would be awful.  And it was especially strange coming from a guy who worries about money constantly!)

• Like 9

I have always said that I'm a bear of very little brain. (True. Not false modesty/humility.)

First Born is a cross between Rabbit and Kanga.

Second Born is a cross between Piglet and Tigger. 

At the dinner table one night I labeled us except for Dh. I apologized for not having a title from the Hundred Acre Wood for him. He said, "I'm Eeyore!" And he is! Truth told I can be Eeyore too. I'm working on it. A co-worker is giving me plenty of reasons to complain and therefore plenty of opportunities NOT to do it. *Sigh* 

• Like 1

Once, my husband started explaining how terrible it would be to win the lottery, how it would utterly ruin one's life. 

(I get that winning the lottery is not the key to happiness, but I still think it takes a true Eeyore to think that being handed a massive amount of money would be awful.  And it was especially strange coming from a guy who worries about money constantly!)

I've had these thoughts before.  I pretty much never buy lottery tickets, but when they had the nearly billion dollar jackpot I bought 1 ticket.  I literally had nightmares about winning.  Not a happy dream about winning...a nightmare.  It stressed me out!  LOL

• Like 1

The "Eeyore" I know best is fond of "at least" statements. We can be in a meadow, sitting in the sunshine, drinking champagne, and he'll say, "Well, at least it's not raining."

Isn't "at least" for when you're trying to find the bright side of a bad situation? He seems to use it only when he can't find anything to complain about. And he sounds almost disappointed!

• Like 8

Only my sisters cat. :D Eeyore is not his name, but he’s just so “oh ok, do whatever you want†that we call him Eeyore, because he just goes along with everything with a long-suffering expression on his face and never tries to change his “fateâ€.

I DO know some negative people, but it’s annoying, not in an endearing Eeyore sort of way, so I wouldn’t associate them with Eeyore.

• Like 1

(I get that winning the lottery is not the key to happiness, but I still think it takes a true Eeyore to think that being handed a massive amount of money would be awful. And it was especially strange coming from a guy who worries about money constantly!)

Well, to be fair, many lottery winners lives do get all kinds of jacked up and in the end they end up broke again anyway, so your DH has got a point...

DH and I had the same discussion when the lottery was over a billion dollars... And I’m generally the annoying silver-lining finding optimist in almost everything!

• Like 2

I'm a bit of an Eeyore, so I try not to take myself too seriously. I don't really see your mom's statement as Eeyore-ish myself--more like she was just making an observation, albeit a bit of an amusing one under the circumstances.

ETA: Maybe it was in her tone of voice?

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 2

I've had these thoughts before.  I pretty much never buy lottery tickets, but when they had the nearly billion dollar jackpot I bought 1 ticket.  I literally had nightmares about winning.  Not a happy dream about winning...a nightmare.  It stressed me out!  LOL

So I have to ask, what is it about it that seems so terrible?  For my husband it was that if we were that rich, then someone might kidnap our daughter for ransom, and it would ruin our friendships because people would always want money from us, and things like that.  Those things never even occurred to me!  My thinking is more that if we were that rich we could hire a bodyguard for our daughter, and we could afford to help out friends in need, which is a good thing, right?  :lol:  I don't know, maybe I'm just naive.

Well, to be fair, many lottery winners lives do get all kinds of jacked up and in the end they end up broke again anyway, so your DH has got a point...

DH and I had the same discussion when the lottery was over a billion dollars... And I’m generally the annoying silver-lining finding optimist in almost everything!

Yes, I've read that lottery winners end up no happier, and that some of them end up broke.  So I definitely get that.  But still, I can think of so many fun things I would do with a lot of money, and not all of them are selfish, by the way.  There are some people I would love to help, some charities I would love to be able to give more generously to.  But he doesn't see any of those positives, just the burdens.  That's an Eeyore.  But I married him, so I must love Eeyores!   :D

• Like 4

So I have to ask, what is it about it that seems so terrible?  For my husband it was that if we were that rich, then someone might kidnap our daughter for ransom, and it would ruin our friendships because people would always want money from us, and things like that.  Those things never even occurred to me!  My thinking is more that if we were that rich we could hire a bodyguard for our daughter, and we could afford to help out friends in need, which is a good thing, right?   :lol:  I don't know, maybe I'm just naive.

Similar thoughts.  Mostly about people harassing me, loss of privacy, stealing from me, etc. 

• Like 1

The Eyeore I know can never be convinced to see the bright side. Everything she experiences is worse. Nobody has ever felt such woes. Your commiserating isn't welcome because XYZ. It's tiresome.

Yes, exactly. Maybe that's not what Eeyore means. I haven't read Pooh in ages, so I can't really remember what Eeyore is like. But the person I'm thinking of is just always negative. He is determined to find fault with everything. Good things are never a pleasant surprise because the paint is probably going to chip, and the music is too loud, and it will certainly be too expensive.

• Like 1

My husband is a Fun Sponge, for sure. :laugh:

I do know plenty of Eeyores and am related to most of them. :-) On a serious note, I do believe there is an anxiety and depressive disorder component to the behavior, and it's not much fun to live life with that much pessimism and worry.

I used to be one!  Then I got on meds LOL .  Honestly, I decided to  change, because it was just too selfish.  Never caring about lightening the load for others.

I love you. 

ETA - I suppose that might need a few words more.  I just appreciate your perspective a lot, that's all. 

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1

My dh's automatic question is never, "Hello, How was your day?, How did it go?" His first question to every text, phone call or interruption is always "What's wrong?" To his credit I am a Tigger, but he soldiers on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know a “what’s wrongâ€-er. Grates on my nerves!

Our family definitely fits the storyline of Winnie the Pooh.

Eeyore- My husband of whom I am proud that today makes fifteen years of marriage to. He tends to be a little bit of a downer in relation to people- he doesn't trust people very easily and is very vocal of his opinion-lol.  Seriously though, he has prevented so many poor relationships on my part.  I tend to love everyone easily to a fault, with the exception of creeps, of which my background I am keenly aware.  I just trust the vast majority of people a little too easily.

Pooh- I have been caught skipping and singing on too many occasions to count, I just go into my own little happy world.  I also love honey and food in general.

Tigger- I have to of these sweet boys.

Christopher Robin-my third son

Kanga-my oldest daughter

Roo- my youngest daughter

Owl- my oldest son.

That was fun. LOL.

• Like 1

My husband said this. :lol: 

• Like 1

I am married to an Eyeore. Ooh Nooh...

I am more like Piglet. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

We actually have small stuffed Eyeore and Piglet on our dresser to remind us to laugh at ourselves. 

My  husbands nickname his whole childhood was dibdee, which was his name for piglet.  On our first date he handed me a rose with a vibrating "dibdee" on it.  It was so cute.

• Like 1

DH is a bit of an Eyeore.

But, folks!  Why isn't anyone Rabbit!? 

I'm Rabbit.  Big planner, hard worker, sometimes freak-out, sometimes overreact, require a lot of positive feedback. 

I ask DH, "What do you think of this new recipe?"  He says, "It's fine."  By that he means, it's very good, he'd like to have it again.  I point out, with great intensity, that I don't work this hard for "fine."  "Fine" will never happen again.  He grins sheepishly.  

• Like 3

So I have to ask, what is it about it that seems so terrible?  For my husband it was that if we were that rich, then someone might kidnap our daughter for ransom, and it would ruin our friendships because people would always want money from us, and things like that.  Those things never even occurred to me!  My thinking is more that if we were that rich we could hire a bodyguard for our daughter, and we could afford to help out friends in need, which is a good thing, right?   :lol:  I don't know, maybe I'm just naive.

Yes, I've read that lottery winners end up no happier, and that some of them end up broke.  So I definitely get that.  But still, I can think of so many fun things I would do with a lot of money, and not all of them are selfish, by the way.  There are some people I would love to help, some charities I would love to be able to give more generously to.  But he doesn't see any of those positives, just the burdens.  That's an Eeyore.  But I married him, so I must love Eeyores!   :D

I kind of think of winning the lotto as trading a "working for a paycheck job" to a "money management & overseeing fund managers job". Definitely not a downer in my world, but still as much work. Then again, I'm not much of an Eeyore. Maybe other people view the work of money management as scary and unknown so they would consider having to do it as horrible. 

• Like 2

This is a real thing! Many lottery winners have been murdered by strangers wanting cash. When I win, I'm going to do what this current winner would like to do (though she already signed her ticket)--set up a trust, so that a trustee can sign the ticket and accept the winnings, and I can remain anonymous :)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/02/05/woman-who-won-million-powerball-jackpot-keep-name-out/AvSffG3lX6nZh9tp5kpioL/story.html

• Like 1

I kind of think of winning the lotto as trading a "working for a paycheck job" to a "money management & overseeing fund managers job". Definitely not a downer in my world, but still as much work. Then again, I'm not much of an Eeyore. Maybe other people view the work of money management as scary and unknown so they would consider having to do it as horrible. 

Stressful.  I'm one that probably wouldn't care to win the lottery.  Not because money's not nice to have, but because oh the indecision!  I'd probably have to give most of it away.  :D  I'm probably an Eeyore, but it's practicality, not pessimism.  Really, the first thing I think about when I think about winning the lottery, is that half of it will go to taxes.  So what amount am looking at after that?  Debts go first, maybe a new house, fund for a new vehicle in the future, investment options, charity.  I wouldn't be able to keep most of it.  I guess if so many people get murdered, personal training in Krav Maga or something similar.  You'd have to keep a bodyguard employed indefinitely, but if you become the bodyguard, you can stop paying someone once training is complete.  ;)  I don't play and never will, so this is all completely hypothetical.   :laugh:   And our finances aren't the greatest right now, despite an increase, so...   :leaving:

My husband can find the dark cloud for every silver lining. In truth, it's exhausting, knowing that no matter what I want to do, it's the problems, not the possibilities that he sees.

One family joke was born out of his tenancy to exaggerate the negative. He stepped on a melted ice cube in the kitchen and complained that there was a "massive puddle" on the floor. Now, this was a normal sized ice cube, and while it is annoying to step on melted ice cubes, the puddle it created can in no way be called "massive", especially by someone who likes to kill jokes by pointing out where they are inaccurate. Anyway, now when anyone drops ice, we say "Hurry, pick up the future massive puddle!"

• Like 3

The Hundred Acre Wood would not be the same without Eeyore.  Rabbit, Piglet and Pooh need Eeyore to balance them out.  

And I was just telling DH this morning, that I never buy lottery tickets because I have zero interest in winning and the attached fame and problems  :lol: !   I'll just stand here and eat my thistles, thank you very much.

Those of us who imagine the worst, are rarely taken off guard....and life is full of nice surprises when things do work out.

• Like 2

But, folks!  Why isn't anyone Rabbit!? 

I think my husband is a combination Eeyore/Rabbit.  He is a very hard worker.  He is always planning for the future, and truly considers his life purpose to be making sure that my daughter and I will be okay for the rest of our lives.  I love and respect him so much for that.  But for his own sake, I wish he could allow himself to believe, at least every once in awhile, that things are going to be okay!

This is a real thing! Many lottery winners have been murdered by strangers wanting cash. When I win, I'm going to do what this current winner would like to do (though she already signed her ticket)--set up a trust, so that a trustee can sign the ticket and accept the winnings, and I can remain anonymous :)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/02/05/woman-who-won-million-powerball-jackpot-keep-name-out/AvSffG3lX6nZh9tp5kpioL/story.html

I did not know that!  I really am naive!

So I have to ask, what is it about it that seems so terrible? For my husband it was that if we were that rich, then someone might kidnap our daughter for ransom, and it would ruin our friendships because people would always want money from us, and things like that. Those things never even occurred to me! My thinking is more that if we were that rich we could hire a bodyguard for our daughter, and we could afford to help out friends in need, which is a good thing, right? :lol: I don't know, maybe I'm just naive.

Yes, I've read that lottery winners end up no happier, and that some of them end up broke. So I definitely get that. But still, I can think of so many fun things I would do with a lot of money, and not all of them are selfish, by the way. There are some people I would love to help, some charities I would love to be able to give more generously to. But he doesn't see any of those positives, just the burdens. That's an Eeyore. But I married him, so I must love Eeyores! :D

The chances if your friends staying your friends with that much financial disparity is very low. At first it would seem exciting, but it would not last. Even if you WANT to help them, take them on vacation, etc. you would no longer be equals and they might not appreciate the “helpâ€.

There’d be indebtedness, jealousy, and the simple fact that eventually you’d not be able to relate to them in any meaningful way because the perception would be that you do not share common struggles and triumphs. Your friends might not feel comfortable bragging about their thrift store score, or complaining about their car troubles just to vent off some steam because it might be seen as “asking for moneyâ€.

There have been several threads that touch on this stuff here at the hive to much smaller and varying degrees, but the problems and pitfalls are still the same.

I can totally see the fun side of winning, too but it definitely would not be ALL fun and games. Smaller lotteries would be more fun. A couple or few million to just get everything set up for a smoother ride in life - retirement and college fully funded, decent house, vacation fund - heck ya! Bring it on!

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2

I have an eeyore for a son. Our best hopes for outings with him are "That was ok". In making food it's "It tastes like nothing" -- which is actually a compliment. One day on vacation my husband took him and his sister on a little plane ride around the harbor. He got out and said "That was amazing! It was so awesome!" I almost died of shock - i had literally never heard anything like that out of him and he was 11! For his twins sister everything is wonderful, fun, fantastic, amazing, but for him it's only bearable. 

If it were only level of excitement, it would all be ok. But in terms of trying new things or believing he can do something, it's always no, or I can't do it, or that's too hard. 

There definitely is an issue of anxiety that's underlying most of this.  So far it's been manageable and we are always trying to get him to break out of his comfort zone a little. 

The chances if your friends staying your friends with that much financial disparity is very low. At first it would seem exciting, but it would not last. Even if you WANT to help them, take them on vacation, etc. you would no longer be equals and they might not appreciate the “helpâ€.

There’d be indebtedness, jealousy, and the simple fact that eventually you’d not be able to relate to them in any meaningful way because the perception would be that you do not share common struggles and triumphs. Your friends might not feel comfortable bragging about their thrift store score, or complaining about their car troubles just to vent off some steam because it might be seen as “asking for moneyâ€.

There have been several threads that touch on this stuff here at the hive to much smaller and varying degrees, but the problems and pitfalls are still the same.

That seems very sad, but also makes sense.  I'm not currently close friends with anyone who is significantly above or below my financial "class" so those relationships are probably a lot more challenging than I realize. 

I can totally see the fun side of winning, too but it definitely would not be ALL fun and games. Smaller lotteries would be more fun. A couple or few million to just get everything set up for a smoother ride in life - retirement and college fully funded, decent house, vacation fund - heck ya! Bring it on!

Yes, I agree that sounds perfect!  

• Like 1

My 5 year old is an Eeyore and a Tiger. It’s like a switch flips and he suddenly changes from one to the other, even other people have noticed this about his personality.

That kind of sounds like bipolar.... not trying to diagnose, but that seems like the perfect description of bipolar.
  • Like 2