Menu

Would you tell the store manager if this happened?

lynn

I ordered some lunch meat at the deli counter asking for a third pound. Dh then came up and I asked him to order a third pound of a another deli meat. The worker gave us 3\4 pound of each.

A few weeks ago at a different deli I ordered a sub and asked that it be cut into thirds and it came cut in half I saw the instructions were written as cut in thirds. Do young adults really not know what a third is? Would you call the deli managers?

In the first case, I'd clarify.  "I'm sorry, I wanted a third of a lb" when they were adding it to the scale and the number kept going up, or if I had walked away and come back, when I picked up the package and saw that the number was wrong.

If I failed to double check, I wouldn't call and complain when I got home.

In the second case, I'd just eat the sub, and wouldn't say something.  If I thought the issue was that they didn't understand then word "third" (rather than that they didn't pay attention, or didn't hear), I'd say 'three pieces" the next time.

• Like 8

I ordered some lunch meat at the deli counter asking for a third pound. Dh then came up and I asked him to order a third pound of a another deli meat. The worker gave us 3\4 pound of each.

Not sure I follow. Did you want a third pound in addition to the first and second you already had, or a third OF a pound?

I would not involve management; I would  tell the worker that is not what I wanted and have them correct my order if it mattered to me.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

I've had this happen once, when I ordered a third of a pound of something and they gave me some different amount.  I said, "no, I only want 1/3, .33 on your scale, this is too much, I can't use it all."  After a brief consultation among employees, I got the right amount.

The sandwich, I wouldn't have done anything.  

• Like 7

I wouldn't contact the manager in either case. I would ask for the deli meat to be fixed. Depending on the item, there's a big price difference between 1/3 and 3/4.  The sub issue, I'd be likely to ignore because I hate standing around waiting for subs to be made!  But it would have chapped my bum if I had been planning to give it to 3 kids.

I do think it's entirely possible that a bunch of people don't "get" thirds.  I would like to think that it was just a brain blip, though.  Someone who's been working in quarter pounds all day might think "3" and autopilot that into 3/4.  Someone cutting subs in half all day is *really* likely to slice in half out of routine. (And then hope you don't notice on the spot so they don't have to remake it.)

• Like 10

I once went to the meat counter at my grocery store and asked if they could split a package of meat for me, as I only wanted about two thirds of a pound.

The guy (and this was not a young adult) repeated, "Two thirds? Two? Thirds?" several times. At one point I said, "...a little less than three quarters?" He gave me this look of disbelief and shook his head, then split the package for me and came back with something like 0.78 lbs and said, "I hope that's good enough." I said sure, because no way was I going to stand there and explain to him how fractions and decimals work.

The women (it seems to be all women, varying ages) who work the fabric cutting counter at Joann's? They have no problem with thirds of a yard.

• Like 9

When I buy anything at a grocery store deli that needs to be weighed I watch the scale from my side and tell the employee "that's good" or "a little more" or whatever (like if you want a pound the scale is rarely going to end up at exactly a pound).

There have been occasions when I've had to explain what the reading on the scale should say. So . . yes, there are some deli workers who don't understand. Although it would be nice if they did, I don't mind the coaching to get my order right. No big deal.

The sandwich wouldn't even rate on my irritation meter assuming I was taking it home. It's easy enough to cut each half into thirds so you have six pieces. Two of the pieces would make a third of the whole sub If I were eating it in the store I'd ask them to fix it.

• Like 7

I would not say anything.

I used to try to order some things by 1/3rds. The level of flabbergastness I encountered made me come to the conclusion that many people have not mastered fractions. Getting 1/3 lb requires you to divide 16/3, doesn't it, or do the scales tell you? I would order in 1/4 lb increments, or ask by ounces.

• Like 3

I often order 1/3 of a pound of deli meat. It's just the right amount as it sits in the refrigerator for a while. 1/4 is too little. 1/2 is too much. I've never had a problem getting the amount I order. 

One time I did ask for 1/3 and got a whole lb. I immediately gave it back and told her what I ordered. She was very apologetic and said she heard me wrong.

• Like 2

I would not say anything.

I used to try to order some things by 1/3rds. The level of flabbergastness I encountered made me come to the conclusion that many people have not mastered fractions. Getting 1/3 lb requires you to divide 16/3, doesn't it, or do the scales tell you? I would order in 1/4 lb increments, or ask by ounces.

The scales at the two grocery stores I visit register 1/3 as .33. Just like 1/4 registers at .25. So it's easy to do. No math involved.

• Like 4

I don’t know that I’d involve the store manager. I might contact the deli manager, if I found it to be an ongoing problem. Maybe the staff needs some retraining. If the deli manager is unresponsive, then I would contact the store manager.

I don’t think it’s odd to order 1/3 lb. I hear people do it frequently.

Edited by scholastica
  • Like 1

Not sure I follow. Did you want a third pound in addition to the first and second you already had, or a third OF a pound?

I would not involve management; I would  tell the worker that is not what I wanted and have them correct my order if it mattered to me.

Like regentrude, I'm a little confused by the "third pound" wording. In my dialect, we say "third of a pound". But that may be a regional difference.

I would not be surprised if the clerks were confused by what a "third" is, though. A related story -- My dh goes to a local coffee shop every couple of weeks to buy freshly-roasted beans. Some of the beans are pre-packaged in 1-pound bags, but sometimes he buys from the loose beans. Every time he does this, the clerk becomes confused. She weighs the beans, and she also has a price per pound, and she has a calculator sitting on the counter, but she does not know what to do with those two numbers. One time, she called over the manager who said, "Well, the scale says 0.7 and that's a little more than half, so why don't you charge him $6.00?". :huh:

• Like 5

I hear people saying "a third pound of [meat/cheese]," "a third of a pound of [meat/cheese]" and even just "a third of [meat/cheese]."  Doesn't seem to be a problem in most places that have an active/high quality deli.

When I had the problem I was in Walmart; I stopped buying in their deli due to other problems (like discovering what looked like shoe or wheel treads on a piece of cheese, in the middle of the packet).

Like regentrude, I'm a little confused by the "third pound" wording. In my dialect, we say "third of a pound". But that may be a regional difference.

I would not be surprised if the clerks were confused by what a "third" is, though. A related story -- My dh goes to a local coffee shop every couple of weeks to buy freshly-roasted beans. Some of the beans are pre-packaged in 1-pound bags, but sometimes he buys from the loose beans. Every time he does this, the clerk becomes confused. She weighs the beans, and she also has a price per pound, and she has a calculator sitting on the counter, but she does not know what to do with those two numbers. One time, she called over the manager who said, "Well, the scale says 0.7 and that's a little more than half, so why don't you charge him $6.00?". :huh:

"Let's just charge him an arbitrary amount." 

Yep. That manager. Totally legit. 

8ab6c73577b7c01a496b88d40856b13f--emoji-

I ordered 3/4 lb. of some deli meat at Walmart several years ago. The deli worker asked me how much that was. I'm sure the look on my face was something else, because I didn't understand what he was asking me. I was thinking, "I just told you!" I finally figured out that he wanted a decimal that would show up on the scale, but I was completely baffled. No one had ever asked me that before, and no one has since. It still makes me chuckle to myself every time I order lunchmeat, though!

• Like 1

A third of a pound is easy enough. I don't understand why they don't post a card by the scales with the decimal equivalents.  The scales at Walmart and our local grocery store don't have an option to use ounces ( the bakery one does but they can't weigh meat on that due to cross contamination)

ETA: I wouldn't bother to tell the manager.  I doubt there would be any corrective action taken. I would complain about a clear sanitation issue or overly rude treatment.  

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1

I agree with correcting the meat cutter person and not making a big deal out of that.

Re the sandwich, written instructions are not always followed because not everyone can read.  The person may have seen "cut" or may just have ignored the instruction if they normally cut sandwiches in half.

This reminds me of the time I was sharing an office with the complaints lady at a toy distributor.  It seemed to make no sense how our packers were making errors.  One guy packed a box of stuffed chimps for an order of cheetahs.  We were like, what were you thinking?  The packer explained that he thought of chimps because Tarzan called his pet chimp "Cheeta."  So we said, why don't you check to make sure the name of the item matches the order?  So he explained that he cannot read.  This was also the reason workers were not shelving the items in correct locations.  (After that we labeled all the shelves with an actual photo of the toy along with the item name.)  Thing is, most adults will not admit that they cannot read - especially in the work place.

• Like 2

My son worked in a grocery store deli for awhile. The training he received made him want to flee the country, certain we have no future...they spent two WEEKS on procedures that he considered to be elementary, like how to wash the glass cases, basic kitchen safety, how to fill out forms and sign for deliveries, and necessary math such as fractions (for the scale) and decimals (for the cash register). Not only did everyone behave as if these were extremely difficult and complex skills, but their attitude was justified when only one of the half dozen new hires (my son) could do it.

My second son had a parallel experience in the field of construction. He was literally the only student in a welding class who could measure with a wooden ruler to 1/4 inch, and add and subtract fractions.

• Like 3

I agree with correcting the meat cutter person and not making a big deal out of that.

Re the sandwich, written instructions are not always followed because not everyone can read.  The person may have seen "cut" or may just have ignored the instruction if they normally cut sandwiches in half.

This reminds me of the time I was sharing an office with the complaints lady at a toy distributor.  It seemed to make no sense how our packers were making errors.  One guy packed a box of stuffed chimps for an order of cheetahs.  We were like, what were you thinking?  The packer explained that he thought of chimps because Tarzan called his pet chimp "Cheeta."  So we said, why don't you check to make sure the name of the item matches the order?  So he explained that he cannot read.  This was also the reason workers were not shelving the items in correct locations.  (After that we labeled all the shelves with an actual photo of the toy along with the item name.)  Thing is, most adults will not admit that they cannot read - especially in the work place.

My son worked in a grocery store deli for awhile. The training he received made him want to flee the country, certain we have no future...they spent two WEEKS on procedures that he considered to be elementary, like how to wash the glass cases, basic kitchen safety, how to fill out forms and sign for deliveries, and necessary math such as fractions (for the scale) and decimals (for the cash register). Not only did everyone behave as if these were extremely difficult and complex skills, but their attitude was justified when only one of the half dozen new hires (my son) could do it.

My second son had a parallel experience in the field of construction. He was literally the only student in a welding class who could measure with a wooden ruler to 1/4 inch, and add and subtract fractions.

Both of these make me extremely sad at how often the education system in this country is failing our children and the future of our nation.

• Like 3

Surprised a third pound isn't more common. A third of a pound sounds more correct, sure, but so many more syllables! So much more effort! lol 

I wouldn't mention it unless it's an ongoing issue, such as if this happens at the deli counter 3 or 4 times in a row. Then it becomes something the manager should know for training reasons. Only one time, though, I would just assume they heard wrong or couldn't remember at the time and knew that there was a "3" involved somehow, and made their best guess. 

Similar for the sandwich. I wouldn't mention it, unless it happens a second time. They probably just didn't read the instructions, because most sandwiches are in 1/2s and it is an easy thing to auto-pilot. I often accidentally cut all sandwiches in half down the middle, even though I know who has a standing request of triangle cut, due to auto-pilot. 

I would either fix it at that time (sorry, I didn't want 3/4 of a lb.  I wanted 1/3 of a pound) or forget it.  I think it can be easy to miss that over a deli counter.  I wouldn't think to contact management over a misunderstanding unless I had an issue with the same employee multiple times. 

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

This thread reminds me of the Mental Floss article on Why No One Wanted A&Ws Third-Pound Burger. Hint: Americans are bad at fractions.

To answer your question, I see nothing wrong with the way you worded it. Third-pound, third of a pound, whatever. It's obvious to me, and I believe it should be obvious to anyone else. I wouldn't tell the manager. I'd tell the clerk if I was feeling in the right mood. But let's be honest, I'd probably not say anything, walk away with my 3/4 pound of deli meat, inwardly roll my eyes, and get out of the supermarket as fast as possible. In full disclosure, I'm currently on an I-despise-the-people-who-work-in-my-grocery-store kick right now.

• Like 1

I wouldn't contact the manager. I would have addressed it directly in the moment, with the employee, if it were really important to me. Otherwise, I would let it go and just be more alert for mistakes the next time.

Some people have trouble with fractions. Whether it is due to a disability or poor teaching, it really isn't their fault, and it doesn't take a lot of effort to point out the correction gently at the time of purchase.

And sometimes people just make mistakes.

• Like 2

Well, if you want to really be scared, when I was in law school taking a corporation law class, I was the only person in the room who knew, without thinking, that  25 is one-fourth of 100.  And this was an expensive, non-public law school.  :P

• Like 2

To answer your question, I see nothing wrong with the way you worded it. Third-pound, third of a pound, whatever. It's obvious to me, and I believe it should be obvious to anyone else.

Just to clarify, since I was one of the people who commented on the "third pound" language -- I am not saying her wording is *wrong*.

To point out differences in English dialects is not the same as labeling them as mistakes. And while we often think the quirks of our own regions are "obvious", outsiders may not find that to be the case at all. I recall my dh staring at me in utter bewilderment when I told him the time was "ten of three". He had no idea what I could possibly mean by that phrase. And I was equally bewildered by his question, "Did you bring with the camera?" I could not parse it into anything meaningful.

At any rate, I doubt the "third pound" would really be the primary issue leading to the deli employee's mistake, but perhaps it contributed some degree of confusion on top of not hearing properly, not understanding fractions, or some other issue.

To answer your question, I see nothing wrong with the way you worded it. Third-pound, third of a pound, whatever. It's obvious to me, and I believe it should be obvious to anyone else.

It obviously wasn't obvious, though. LOL. Being precise when you order rather than using a verbal abbreviation makes it more likely you'll be understood by the person taking the order. Maybe he really doesn't know how to weigh 1/3 of a pound on a digital scale, or maybe he was confused by the phrasing. (He should have asked for clarification or help either way.) 

Please don’t involve the store mgr. my son has dyscalculia (and I suspect I do, as well) and he would easily get confused by that wording because his brain just doesn’t process numbers the way most other people do. He’s not stupid at all; and yes, he’s been taught fractions and decimals. He still sucks at math.

Maybe mention it to the deli mgr with a private phone call, so she/he can work on it with him or maybe even decide that he’d be better in another department.

I wouldn't tell the manager unless the employee getting my order wrong was a pattern. If a business has employees who "suck" at math doing job functions that require them to be proficient at math, it's appropriate to inform or complain to the manager—not to get the person(s) in trouble but to make sure the problem is addressed. It's not personal.

• Like 1

Well, if you want to really be scared, when I was in law school taking a corporation law class, I was the only person in the room who knew, without thinking, that 25 is one-fourth of 100. And this was an expensive, non-public law school. :P

Okay, I'm a lawyer and can't do math (and use law as my dad excuse 😒...hubby is a lawyer too and can do math, but he was homeschooled, so there ya go😂).

But 25 being 1/4 of 100? That I can do, that my 6 year olds can do...my 4yo might even get that. That's pretty bad.

I often order 1/3 of a pound of deli meat. It's just the right amount as it sits in the refrigerator for a while. 1/4 is too little. 1/2 is too much. I've never had a problem getting the amount I order.

Same here, though I did once have a newer worker who had to double-check with the other deli worker what number one-third would be on the scale. I appreciated that. The deli at my local store has been consistently awesome, and I try to post positive feedback for them often.

I too found the "third pound" language confusing.  I know we say half pound all the time, but half doesn't have another meaning (third can mean a fraction or an additional one after the second one).

That said, third pound could not possibly mean 3/4 pound.  The employee should have asked for clarification if he didn't get what the customer wanted.

Maybe it was noisy back there and the guy heard "thr...pound" and assumed, but that's not how you serve customers.  :)

That would be no big deal and it wouldn't occur to me to complain to a manager. I probably wouldn't even correct the employee. I'm okay with getting extra food because I have two teenaged boys, aka bottomless pits, and it will always get eaten.

Also, saying "a third pound" sounds strange. I could see where that would add to the employee's confusion. 

• Like 2

Because "a third pound" actually means something else.

You mean, if a person ordered two pounds of something and then said "I want a third pound of..."?    I guess, but only if the person had already ordered 2 pounds, right?   If she walked up and her first interaction was to order a third pound of corned beef, it seems perfectly clear.

Not trying to be argumentative. I am one who sees it as not a big deal all the way around.  Not confusing, though I still would not take extra food that I didn't want.

Sometimes stores are so noisy.  Competing sounds can make it difficult to understand a person's order too.  

One grocery store I stop in occasionally has a touch-screen kiosk for ordering deli meats and cheeses. I've not used it yet but that seems like a good system.  Type up the order, go off and shop, the number comes over the loudspeaker when it's ready.

Because "a third pound" actually means something else.

Completely true. But, still surprised that people are saying they never hear this used as a shortened version of "A third of a pound", as I hear it often. I was remarking on that, not the correctness. 

You mean, if a person ordered two pounds of something and then said "I want a third pound of..."?    I guess, but only if the person had already ordered 2 pounds, right?   If she walked up and her first interaction was to order a third pound of corned beef, it seems perfectly clear.

Yes. But I'm not always helped by just one person at the deli. If I were working at the deli, I would not automatically know (unless of course this is a dialect issue) that "third pound" would mean a third of a pound. I would assume that I was helping someone who had already been served by someone else and they were continuing their order.

I don't think it's a big deal either way, but "third pound" does not mean "a third of a pound" where I live.

• Like 2