Menu

Do you consider yourself a "teacher"?

indigomama

I have homeschooled my children for 8 years. My oldest only attended a part-time brick and mortar for the last 3 months of his 7th grade. I consider myself their teacher, but not a "teacher". I'm not trained for, nor have I have taught in a classroom.

I've recently started working part-time, and my job is hosting an evening event for teachers. My employment is a popular local field trip for schools. I've had several homeschoolers say they will be attending, as they are teachers, too. They can attend, but it's really geared toward classroom teachers (which is obvious from the information on the event). All of these homeschoolers who say they are coming are homeschoolers whose children attend a local part-time brick-and-mortar school. 

So, I'm just curious, would you attend an event that you knew was marketed to classroom teachers, because you consider yourself a homeschool teacher?

The event is about field trips?  I am not sure what the event is.

I have been a classroom teacher before so I do consider myself a teacher, but I am not sure I would attend an event as a homeschooler that wouldn't be relevant to me.

1. I do consider myself to be a teacher. I've studied education for a quarter of a century, taught private preschool, taught my own children (one room schoolhouse style) from preschool through high school graduation, tutored other students in my school (including one who was enrolled full time), and I teach a very large, institutional style Sunday school class in a mega church. If all this has not been teaching, I don't know what else to call it!

2. But no, I would not attend an event for licensed and currently working public school classroom teachers. That's not what I do. Training, philosphies, expectations and requirements are all entirely different, and should be. I don't need today's public school philosophies, I don't have the same challenges, and even more than this - I do not want to denigrate schoolteachers' work by encroaching in that way. I know I cannot walk into their classroom and do what I do independently, because there I would be bound by the same restrictions. I have no reason to believe I could work within those parameters better than they do, or even as well, without having been trained to do it! Homeschooling, private tutoring, and private classrooms are each an entirely different job, and I think everyone should acknowledge that.

(I don't have anything in common with the part time hs'ing families, either...I do think it's presumptuous that they seem to see themselves as equal staff although untrained, unlicensed, unpaid and unrecognized by the school...no, ladies, you are not an auxiliary of the school...)

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 5

I consider myself an educator but not a schoolteacher. I am a volunteer tutor at my youngest child's elementary school reading lab and am hoping to become a speech therapist. Depending on the specifics of the event, I might get a lot out of a teacher training event. Maybe not if it were science or math-focused but if it were literacy-focused, it could be very relevant.

• Like 1

I consider myself a teacher, just not a *professional teacher.  Much in the same way that I've been a blogger, but not a professional blogger.  I'm a cook, but not professionally.  And I have attended "teacher events" that were relevant to my interests/needs.

(The shade of grey has changed here and there. I began teaching co-op classes two years ago, and co-direct and will be teaching in an additional one.  So kids and parents call me a teacher, too.  As does my family when talking about other co-op teachers.)

When younger, I was a teacher's aide, which prompted me to go to college to become a teacher. I never graduated. Then much later I was the lead teacher in a toddler classroom. We homeschooled 15 years and no, I do not consider myself a teacher. I'm just an informed adult who was able to work alongside my children as they learned.

I might attend an event for teachers depending on the event. If it's really geared towards a large classroom, that is not relevant to me so I wouldn't attend. If it was just for information that could benefit me and my children in any way, then yes I would go.

I would feel presumptuous attending something clearly intended for classroom teachers. I would also assume it unlikely that material presented would be relevant to our homeschool. That is not an avenue I would generally use to collect classroom material.

However, from reading many field trip related threads on the forum, I think you can be comfortable assuming most of the homeschoolers will flake out.

I'm an educator and would attend an event geared toward educational content or opportunities. I'm not, however, a licensed and certified teacher.

Yes, but no, I wouldn't attend. Well, I can't say that for sure.  If it was something I could bring back to a co-op, scouts, or small group...yes, I would.  I'd jump on a chance to take the Steve Spangler Science cruise they've done for the past few years.  It's geared toward educators who want to teach science better.  Yes, I'd absolutely do that.

I do consider myself a teacher. I taught math in a public high school for 4 years, I've homeschooled 12 years, and I'm hoping to sub or teach part time in the near future. If the event is something like, "how to teach effectively about Williamsburg" or some other living history place that students visit, I might consider going. If the event is designed for classroom teachers, advertise it that way. Maybe hold a separate but similar event for home schoolers if there are capacity issues.

No.  I feel like it is an earned title.  This is not to say I don't teach my children things.  We pretty much all probably have taught someone something at some point. 

But I don't have a problem either with anyone calling themselves a teacher (so I'm not looking for a debate or anything like that either). 

Yes, I consider myself a "little-t teacher". And yes, I've gone to things that were for "big-T Teachers".

Edited by Kinsa

I feel like there are two different questions here.  Whether I call myself a teacher or a home educator or a homeschool mom is irrelevant to the question of whether I would attend an event that I'm eligible for, provided that the event would actually be presenting something that I would be interested in and would find helpful. 

• Like 1

Yes, I consider "teacher" within my role of home educator. I might attend an event for classroom teachers if it sounded interesting and potentially useful for me, both for myself and family, as well as organizing future group field trips.

I wouldn't rule out an event simply because the marketing was tailored for classroom teachers. That could simply be for money purposes for the event organizors; there are probably a lot of teachers who would pay to attend the event. I'd look into the content of the event primarily before deciding to go or not.

I was just thinking that I find it really interesting that people are interested in the distinction of what constitutes the identity of "teacher" and whether or not people are "entitled" (for lack of a better word) to attend an event based on that identity, as opposed to the actual practical aspects of whether or not the event actually applies to them regardless of how they "identify."

What it reminded me of was getting the teacher discount card at Lakeshore Learning.  90% of the stuff there doesn't really apply to me because it is classroom oriented.  But that 10% of stuff I find really helpful in my homeschool (in the younger ages) and also helpful for the summer camp where I teach.  I have absolutely no problem getting the card because homeschoolers qualilfy for it as well even though I'm shopping alongside mostly professional teachers.  If I qualified for this program/ event then I quality even as a homeschooler. 

• Like 1

I am an educator, even though I have not home schooled for four years.  I loved being a home school mom and I was good with it. My dd now attends what may very well be the best school in the state based on test scores. Only one elite private school did better than her school did year before last. I am not like the teachers she has at her public school. I could have been, with the right training and energy and patience to deal with bureaucracy. I might have liked to in another life. So, I don't consider myself a teacher, but education is important to me. 

I'm "retired" (both in college now), but I fell in love with teaching while homeschooling. Now I work full-time as a teacher and professor. I don't have a teaching degree or certificate.

I certainly went to plenty of teacher events in my day. Why not?

Also I want to say that if I qualified for attendence as a homeschooler and did attend such an event, I would be very unhappy if anyone put me down for not being a professional teacher.  (The question seemed to imply that those homeschooling moms attending were on the silly or perhaps presumptuous side for doing so, but perhaps I am reading into it. )

• Like 2

I don't think of myself as a teacher. If someone asks me what I do, teacher doesn't come to mind.

However as far as events, I have attended a couple local events that were more geared toward teachers. When there was a big two day conference for teachers of gifted children that was technically open to homeschoolers, I didn't attend. When I looked at the agenda I could tell it wasn't for me. I was the same way before having kids though, as long as an event didn't require membership to a specific group, if the subject seemed interesting I would go.

I don't consider myself a teacher. The job duties of a teacher are very different from what I do with my own kids, or what I've done with co-op or Sunday school classes.

I'd go to the event if it was homeschool friendly and if it was applicable to homeschoolers as well as teachers. I wouldn't go if I was the only homeschooler or if it wasn't marketed to homeschoolers. I would feel like a poser. (Do people still use that word?)

• Like 1

I don't like being called a teacher.  When prompted I call myself a facilitator.  Especially as my kids age, my homeschooling style is quite hands off for me. 

Our local museums offer homeschool families discounted memberships.  I then get invited to educator events.  I have no problem attending these.  They wouldn't send put homeschoolers on the mailing list if they had a problem with it.  If I didn't know, I would ask if they were ok with homeschooling parents attending. 

That said, I do regularly actually TEACH groups of kids. 

• Like 1

Nope, sure wouldn't.  A) I don't consider myself a teacher.  I consider myself a mommy and a facilitator.  B) I've run into several classroom teachers, and they don't seem to like homeschoolers all that much, and I'm not good with adversity.  C) The information wouldn't be useful for me.  D) Was it in the evening you said?  I don't do evening things all that much.

This is not the same, but I have attended autism-related events where 90%+ of attendees are professionals of some kind, and many are receiving continuing education credits for their attendance.

It is totally worth it. It is totally worthwhile.

However -- I am able to sign up as a non-professional. I can sign up as ????? I can't remember, basically as someone not getting CEUs I think.

Edit: when I say "professionals" I would guess 3/4 of them are working in a school district, with some on private practice or working for a hospital or something. So basically it is focused on a school setting in a lot of ways, but there is plenty that is useful to me, even though yes some things apply more to a group school setting of some kind.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

I taught a five week class at a local university that was continuing ed for secondary math teachers. It was part of a grant to help math teachers include STEM applications in their classes. Teachers were paid a small stipend to attend. It included field trips to a local science museum and the Center for Civil and Human Rights. We had a homeschool teacher attend. She taught math in a university model co-op. Her perpective was different and welcome. It was fun to have her with us in our small (15 teacher) group.

• Like 1

I consider myself a teacher but would never call myself a teacher, because that's confusing. I'm don't have a degree in education, I'm not certified to teach in public schools, I've never taught in a private school. It would be confusing or misleading to call myself a teacher because someone would naturally misunderstand what I meant. I call myself a homeschooling mom.

I would find it weird to attend an event like that, and much more weird that their kids attend a part time B&M school. In my area, those schools are basically like private schools that meet only a couple days a week and the parents supervise homework the other three days. This means the parent, who can consider themselves a homeschooler if they want, no skin off my nose, is doing even less than someone like me, who chooses curriculum for each subject and supervises and grades every assignment and so on.

A few years ago we were eating dinner with friends, both retired teachers who had taught at a public school, spent time teaching in an impoverished part of New Mexico, spent time in the peace corps, and taught English in China. I was commenting on how I had been given the teacher discount at a museum gift shop that day - the clerk had asked if I was a teacher and I had replied 'No, only to homeschoolers!'. My friends said that I was absolutely a teacher. I also teach at a co-op, and they may have been thinking about that. I'm not sure, though, because they had also said that the year that they were in China with their own kids they homeschooled the 2 for a year of early elementary and it was harder than any regular teaching job they'd had.

I have never attended an event for teachers, but if there was something that I thought I could use and it wasn't taking a space that was needed for a regular school teacher, I'd go. I wouldn't feel that it was out of place for me to be there, but I would feel bad if I took one of a limited number of spots.

I am a teacher. In addition to homeschooling for a decade, I have a teaching degree and taught in ps for three years. I have learned more about education homeschooling than I did in education classes. It irritates me to no end that my in-laws do not consider me to be a real teacher. Whether or not I would attend an event for teachers would depend entirely on the event.

• Like 2

Yes, but no, I wouldn't attend. Well, I can't say that for sure.  If it was something I could bring back to a co-op, scouts, or small group...yes, I would.  I'd jump on a chance to take the Steve Spangler Science cruise they've done for the past few years.  It's geared toward educators who want to teach science better.  Yes, I'd absolutely do that.

That sounds like a ton of fun!  I would love to go on something like that.  I would probably go to an event for teachers if I thought it would be helpful.   I may or may not call myself a teacher depending on the conversation.  

I have a lapsed provisional teachers certification.  I completed all the coursework for an elementary education certification, passed the Praxis exam, but never did my student teaching.

I taught afterschool enrichment classes in public schools.

I taught computer classes to groups of adults full time for a while.

I teach Sunday School.

I run a 4-H STEM group.

I will likely be teaching science classes to homeschoolers in the Fall.

I've been homeschooling for 7 years.

Also I want to say that if I qualified for attendence as a homeschooler and did attend such an event, I would be very unhappy if anyone put me down for not being a professional teacher.  (The question seemed to imply that those homeschooling moms attending were on the silly or perhaps presumptuous side for doing so, but perhaps I am reading into it. )

I didn't mean anything by it. We will not prevent anyone from attending, nor will there be any distinction, and I certainly hope no one feels slighted. 

I, personally, was just surprised that so many homeschool moms said they were planning on attending. As I said in my post, I have exclusively homeschooled for 8 years. I have 5 children, I completely identify as a homeschool mom, but I do not, and have never identified as a teacher. I just see a distinction. 

I was curious how others felt, this is the largest homeschool group I could think to ask.

• Like 1

I have homeschooled my children for 8 years. My oldest only attended a part-time brick and mortar for the last 3 months of his 7th grade. I consider myself their teacher, but not a "teacher". I'm not trained for, nor have I have taught in a classroom.

I've recently started working part-time, and my job is hosting an evening event for teachers. My employment is a popular local field trip for schools. I've had several homeschoolers say they will be attending, as they are teachers, too. They can attend, but it's really geared toward classroom teachers (which is obvious from the information on the event). All of these homeschoolers who say they are coming are homeschoolers whose children attend a local part-time brick-and-mortar school. 

So, I'm just curious, would you attend an event that you knew was marketed to classroom teachers, because you consider yourself a homeschool teacher?

Of course. Although I would probably not attend because a classroom-centered event would probably not be very useful for me.

I am not a "homeschool teacher," however; I am a teacher.

We don't have homeschool conventions of any kind, so yes I attended book fairs on 'special for teachers' days and attended a teacher convention annex schoolbook fair.

I would not attend these gatherings if I had our child in school. But now, in our current situation it is the only option sometimes to get textbooks or their TM's.

I like to know if homeschoolers are included before I attend events for teachers. Like Barnes & Noble had some event we went to... I think it was specifically for homeschoolers maybe? Or maybe we were just included. I remember we were included, though because the email went out to the homeschool community and/or I called the store. The way this is marketed I would not want to show up. In general I do not like to go places where I do not feel invited.

I didn't mean anything by it. We will not prevent anyone from attending, nor will there be any distinction, and I certainly hope no one feels slighted. 

I, personally, was just surprised that so many homeschool moms said they were planning on attending. As I said in my post, I have exclusively homeschooled for 8 years. I have 5 children, I completely identify as a homeschool mom, but I do not, and have never identified as a teacher. I just see a distinction. 

I was curious how others felt, this is the largest homeschool group I could think to ask.

Well I think you should embrace it. I do everytime I whip out an educator card at the store :laugh: