Menu

Is this a fair price for one week of summer camp?

Meadowlark

We got a mailer with info. about a summer camp. Now, I had never heard of this camp and let's just say, it would be my oldest son's dream come true. It's a "farm camp". Meaning, they take care of the animals, make their own food from scratch, sit out under the stars, etc. Very country-like feel. My son (who has wanted to be a farmer since the age of 2, and whom we have dedicated a whole room of our house to for his farm collection) was giddy with excitement. His brother's thing is sports, but we've never been able to tap into this farm thing. We do live in the midwest, but certainly not on a farm. We don't even have animals because of allergies.

But then...the ball dropped. The price for a M-F camp is $985. The most expensive camp around here that I know of is about $500, so this was a big shock. We've never even considered the $500 one honestly. So I had to sorrowfully explain that this just wasn't going to happen. He was so upset. Heck, I am so upset. I thought finally we could fulfill his passion.

Is this a normal rate where you live? The only thing I can think is that we're about 3.5 hours from Chicago, and rich Chicago people probably send their kids here to get out of the city. What do you think?

That seems outrageously expensive. It is overnight right? But 4 nights? That's crazy. Do they have financial assistance or scholarships? I would never spend that much. I'm sorry though for your son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, how disappointing for you and your son. :(

My junior high kids are going to a 7 day camp for $400 each. There are no animals involved, but food, lodging,classes, and recreation is provided. I think that's probably a really great price and deal.

• Like 1

Most of the summer camps we've done have varied from around $200 (Boy Scouts, camping) to roughly $500.

The exception to this is the special-needs camp, which runs $900-$1500 for the week.

Having just researched a lot of camps earlier this year for ds, I'm going to say yes... $1000 per week is not an uncommon rate. That said, a "week" is usually 7 days and 6 nights. You're only getting 5 days and 4 nights for that price. Since some camps are more, it doesn't seem like the rate is crazy or anything, but it does seem like you're being cheated of time.

I don't know about farm camp, but from what I can tell, the best deals are in scouting camps (some of which you don't have to be a scout to access) and religiously affiliated camps (some of which you don't have to be a member of the church to attend and which aren't necessarily proselytizing - my boys went to Quaker camp last summer and it's a wonderful, inexpensive camp experience that may appeal to the religiously unaffiliated and most YMCA camps aren't really religious in presentation).

But sometimes the experience you're hoping to find is only available at private camps. 

• Like 2

The farm camp near us charges a similar price . I know it is a popular camp for city kids, so I think you're right about that driving the price up.

My kids are lucky - they get to do farm chores at home for free.  :laugh:

I'm sorry about your son's disappointment and I hope he gets another opportunity to spend time on a farm.

• Like 1

For less than that my DD attended Nature Camp for two weeks. She weren't several years and insisted on going for the last time after high school graduation.

Anyway some people do come from out of state, so if you want to check it out you can find it at naturecamp.net

As far as farm experience, are there local parks that are working farms. There is one near me. Kids can volunteer to work with animals. They are set up with training at first.

See if the camp offers a sliding scale based on income. When we looked into the special needs summer camp (which only runs 5 days, 4 nights) it had scholarship available and you were charged based on an income sliding scale. That's why I wrote $900- $1500 above.

Is this camp in Elizabeth by any chance? If so, it was developed specifically to be a summer farm camp- by a couple of ad executives from Oak Park.  I'm not saying it's not a great experience, but you're right about their clientele.  A lot of Montessori kids and a lot of families from Chicago. 

Ds would have a  great time but yeah, it's pricey. 

I'd urge you to keep looking- there are lots of choices out there and maybe you'll find one that's more affordable. 

It does seem really high to me.  On the other hand, my kids only attended camps that were either partially funded by churches or big organizations, or had a lot of campers to help split the cost.  Maybe the farm camp can only accept a small number of campers at a time, so the cost of running it is split among fewer kids.  

I wonder if they have any type of scholarship available, or know of local organizations that might pay half, or something like that.

We got a mailer with info. about a summer camp. Now, I had never heard of this camp and let's just say, it would be my oldest son's dream come true. It's a "farm camp". Meaning, they take care of the animals, make their own food from scratch, sit out under the stars, etc. Very country-like feel. My son (who has wanted to be a farmer since the age of 2, and whom we have dedicated a whole room of our house to for his farm collection) was giddy with excitement. His brother's thing is sports, but we've never been able to tap into this farm thing. We do live in the midwest, but certainly not on a farm. We don't even have animals because of allergies.

But then...the ball dropped. The price for a M-F camp is $985. The most expensive camp around here that I know of is about $500, so this was a big shock. We've never even considered the $500 one honestly. So I had to sorrowfully explain that this just wasn't going to happen. He was so upset. Heck, I am so upset. I thought finally we could fulfill his passion.

Is this a normal rate where you live? The only thing I can think is that we're about 3.5 hours from Chicago, and rich Chicago people probably send their kids here to get out of the city. What do you think?

I wonder if it's the one I sent my daughters to last summer.  The price is just a little higher (inflation).

I felt like it was a good value for one of my daughters (the one who didn't get sent home early due to heat troubles / homesickness).  She got to do and learn a lot of things we can never do at home.  Why, just last week we were watching an I Love Lucy episode where they were trying to figure out how to use a sewing machine ... my daughter said that she knows how to do it because they made her learn at farm camp.  :)  (She's got one up on me there!)

The nice thing is that for my kid who sometimes lacks confidence to try new things, this camp gave her a sense of competence.  She definitely learned a lot and enjoyed the camp.  I asked her if she wanted to go back this year.  She said she did like the camp, but would rather not go without her sister this time ... maybe next year.

I know it's a lot of money, but I would pay it again if my kid wanted to go.

The farm camp near us charges a similar price . I know it is a popular camp for city kids, so I think you're right about that driving the price up.

My kids are lucky - they get to do farm chores at home for free.  :laugh:

I'm sorry about your son's disappointment and I hope he gets another opportunity to spend time on a farm.

Maybe you can charge $350 and her kids can come to your place for camp!

Win-win

• Like 7

We have sent our kids to church camp once they were teens and asked to go ($150 for a weekend is typical) but we didn't send them to 5 day camp because it is over $400 and we have 3 kids.  

One year a local church had a $450 camp and we had a lot of snow that year.  The camp had all their campers cancel the first week because the districts ha a week of snow days.

So, they opened it up to private and home school kids for $100.  I sent both my kids.  They LOVED it.  Imagine their disappointment when I told them they couldn't go back the next year.

And then there is boy scout camp.  It has gone from $180/wk to $275 per week in about 11 years.   But it is a literal 7 day camp and well worth it to us and the kids have loved it through the years.

As for your almost $1000 camp.....that is really high.  My middle son has gone on a mission trip to Mexico the last few years.  The entire trip, including airfare, is $850.  They stay in an orphanage, stay 9 full days, etc......it has been a phenomenal experience for him, my parents have usually paid half each year for that.

Could you ask for grandparents help?  Or could you find something comparable?  You said you live in the mid-west, how about a local farm he could go to with a friend or sibling for a few days?  

My 6th grader  just signed up for his 4th summer at a religion sponsored camp. We don't practice the religion and they don't care--maybe  1/2 of the kids don't.  Just requires 1 hour of chapel service per day. Has everything the Y camps have.  Same camp I went to  for 5 summers. Under $300 for everything for 7 days. 

I don't live in the USA, so my price ranges are differently.

But 'cheap' tend to:

- camp in tents

- have very basic food / meals cooked by them self

- transport by bike or by feet

- no expensive activities

- organized by students / volunteers

'More expensive' has:

- real beds in a brick and mortal building

- plenty, healthy , and sometimes luxurious food

- transport by autocar, autocar all week available

- certified camp leader, sport instructors

- more expensive activities

- extra's like language immersion, sport instruction, different country

• Like 1

Having just researched a lot of camps earlier this year for ds, I'm going to say yes... $1000 per week is not an uncommon rate. That said, a "week" is usually 7 days and 6 nights. You're only getting 5 days and 4 nights for that price. Since some camps are more, it doesn't seem like the rate is crazy or anything, but it does seem like you're being cheated of time.

I don't know about farm camp, but from what I can tell, the best deals are in scouting camps (some of which you don't have to be a scout to access) and religiously affiliated camps (some of which you don't have to be a member of the church to attend and which aren't necessarily proselytizing - my boys went to Quaker camp last summer and it's a wonderful, inexpensive camp experience that may appeal to the religiously unaffiliated and most YMCA camps aren't really religious in presentation).

But sometimes the experience you're hoping to find is only available at private camps.

Did you decide on a performing arts camp?

Op, that seems "market" for an overnight camp, sorry :(

I'm paying about 1000/week for language "immersion" camp. But I feel this is ok because there's language instruction built-in. Now I would think harder for a farm camp, or just regular sleep away camp, and see if any alternatives (unless I needed the "daycare" aspect for the summer). If that's what he wants to do, that is taken into consideration. But also consider perhaps these junior ranger programs that are not overnight (we have one at a preserve locally, very expensive but not overnight camp expensive).

I just want to add that, last year, my then-9yo did both a week of scout camp and a week of farm camp (both sleep-away).  Of course the scout camp was cheaper, since they require the troops to send adults to supervise the kids and lead the badge work etc.  Scout camp is a great deal (especially if you aren't the troop mom who has to work there for a week).

But the farm camp was valuable on a whole different level.  It was designed to largely mirror life in simpler times.  The atmosphere and the way kids are treated as planners and producers is a whole different experience from the usual camp environment.  (The one my kids attended was in "Amish country" and they had to respect the rules the Amish follow for the most part.)  The child is transformed in certain ways by the experience.  I am not saying the price isn't steep, or that it's right for everyone; just that I don't agree with comparing it to scout-type camps or day camps.

If you live close enough to visit the camp, you might want to do that before you make a final decision.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

Yeah I think that is high, but I think there are different levels of camps.

The church sponsored ones

YMCA

Scouts

Park districts

Those are all really affordable

Then museums ones.  Those are usually more than the church but reasonable. 

Then are the private camps like this.  They are more. 

That is expensive, but doesn't sound out of line for the private camps I have looked out.

Most scout and church/religious camps are less, but that is because some of the cost is offset by the sponsoring organization.

When I was looking at private camps for my DD 10yrs ago, they were in the $800 range, so $900-100 does not seem outrageous.

No, I would not and did not send my kid to a private camp. Those types of camps are catering to a different income bracket than my family.

I can't get my brain around paying to do farm work. You may have more luck driving to farms, knocking on the door, and telling the owner "My kid wants to be a farmer. He'll work for free. I'll pack a lunch. Can you use some unskilled but enthusiastic help?" It seems his attitude could lead to gainful employment instead of camp fees.

• Like 5

I can't get my brain around paying to do farm work. You may have more luck driving to farms, knocking on the door, and telling the owner "My kid wants to be a farmer. He'll work for free. I'll pack a lunch. Can you use some unskilled but enthusiastic help?" It seems his attitude could lead to gainful employment instead of camp fees.

For real.

It is the working with livestock problem. Lots of liability. This is why horse riding camps are more expensive than others.

The potential to be thrown from a horse, kicked by a cow, knocked over by a rambunctious ram, injured while baling hay or working with farm tools, there are more things that can go wrong working with green kids around animals than there are at your average, swim, canoe, make crafts camp.

• Like 2

prices range for type of camp (tech generally being the highest) and  whether it is a day camp or overnight.  and I've certainly seen those types of numbers.

I'm sorry it didn't work for your son - I know it's disappointing.

Thought I'd pop in and answer a few questions. Yes, it's an overnight camp. But it's Monday 9:00 to Friday, which doesn't seem like a full week exactly to me. I'm not sure if they offer scholarships although I do have plans to chat with the director on the phone about it. I sent an email and he expressed that he was willing to talk about it, so not sure what that means.

Other camps around here are around the $400 mark, and I'm sure they are perfectly good camps. The thing is, THIS one is exactly what this particular kid needs. Other camps...scouts, etc just would not trigger his fancy. I can't really describe how passionate he is about farming, cooking, fishing and pretty much everything that this camp seems to offer. If I could hand design the perfect experience for him (and one that I cannot emulate), this would be it. Unfortunately, with 5 kids and one on the way (plus a Suburban needing to be bought), it's just not feasible to spend that much on even the most perfect experience. I guess unless we can compromise, I'll just have to sadly walk away.

Edited by Meadowlark
  • Like 1

Is this camp in Elizabeth by any chance? If so, it was developed specifically to be a summer farm camp- by a couple of ad executives from Oak Park.  I'm not saying it's not a great experience, but you're right about their clientele.  A lot of Montessori kids and a lot of families from Chicago. 

Ds would have a  great time but yeah, it's pricey. 

I'd urge you to keep looking- there are lots of choices out there and maybe you'll find one that's more affordable. 

Why, YES! Do you know anything more about it?

• Like 1

Camps that are associated with a church or the Boy Scouts are mostly paid for through donations not camper fees. That is why they can be so cheap. I imagine a camp that has employees, taxes, insurance, buildings to maintain, animals, all the tools needed, and probably a commercial kitchen is going to need to get their money somewhere.

If I was really set on it. I would ask Grandparents to chip in as his birthday present or something and tell child maybe if he earns half pet sitting, or scooping poop on lawns, or snow shoveling then we can try to make it work. My daughter's harp was saved for years. I opened her an account and anytime she got a $20 for birthday or Christmas or paid for cleaning someone's house etc. she put it in her account for that harp. I did end up paying for a lot of it after a couple years but she had a big chunk of change to assist.

• Like 1

My DD's all-day farm camp (she has wanted to be a farmer from 3 or so, as well!) was about $400.  We are in Norfolk-Virginia Beach area, so probably not as high cost as Chicago, but still not Outer Shlibobia.  I think that cost is outrageous, unless it is an overnight camp, in which case, I don't think it's outrageous, just a bit on the high end.  My DD attended this camp every year until she aged out, when she then volunteered as a junior counselor.  Now she works at a farm to get her farm experience and fix, and honestly, that has taught her way more than she ever learned in a controlled farm camp environment.  If your DS is serious about wanting to be a farmer (parts of it are truly ugly and dangerous, and if you haven't grown up on a farm you wouldn't know this), get him a job volunteering at the local farm, whether it's a horse farm, dairy farm, whatever.  They'll take his free labor after he signs a liability waiver, it won't cost you anything, and he gets his farm fix and experience.

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 1

Did you decide on a performing arts camp?

Yep. We went with closer and slightly more affordable (though "affordable" in this context is pretty pricey) and he's going to do three weeks at Ballibay. We'll see how it goes. It seems like kids have really flexible schedules yet accomplish actually putting on several shows by the end of their session and practicing dance and music and so forth, and I think that will be right for him more than other camps that had more set schedules. Here's hoping.

It is the working with livestock problem. Lots of liability. This is why horse riding camps are more expensive than others.

The potential to be thrown from a horse, kicked by a cow, knocked over by a rambunctious ram, injured while baling hay or working with farm tools, there are more things that can go wrong working with green kids around animals than there are at your average, swim, canoe, make crafts camp.

Correct.  This seems slightly high only because of the number of days/nights, but any camp with extra risks (animals especially) will come at a premium due liability costs and usually a lower counselor/camper ratio.

Without a personal relationship of some sort, anyone accepting that offer would have to be insane.

Why, YES! Do you know anything more about it?

No, I just know about it because I live in the area. I've never met the family but know some kids who attended a school thing there- the teachers took the kids for three days - like the summer camp but a little shorter. It was a Montessori school and the kids I knew had a great time.  I recall there was a lot of talk about meal prep.

A Week at summer camp for 1k is not outrageous but this starts at 9 AM on Monday and ends at 3 on Friday. So the first day the kids miss morning chores and the last day they miss evening chores. It seems a little steep for the time there.  

I hope you keep looking- I know these folks cater to the Chicago crowd but there are others out there. Probably cheaper. 

But maybe ds could do some odd jobs and save enough to attend next year! He's not too young to be a pet walker (or poop picker upper) or get mail for folks on vacation, or pull weeds or something. 

I didn't realize the kid was so young. For 1K, you could set up several gardens for him or get him some fancy flyers to start a neighborhood pet-sitting business. Maybe even set up a greenhouse with some bunnies or something outside where allergic family members are safe. Are the allergic members allergic to those hybrid doodle dogs? Maybe he can get one of those to care for. Can he have a fish or a lizard? Indoor worm bins or outdoor compost could keep him busy. There are lots of useful things he could do for $1000 bucks. The whole family could do an air BnB near a farm for that much! My daughter did a two week, traveling adventure camp for less that!

• Like 1

Yes, it's pricey. Unreasonably so? No. Livestock IS expensive to feed and care for. Plus, they'll be your kiddo's instructor for a week

and lodging and feeding him, as well. The price, whether or not it is affordable to you, seems reasonable. Farming/ranching is an expensive

endeavor no matter how you go about it.

Without a personal relationship of some sort, anyone accepting that offer would have to be insane.

Hmmm....I wouldn't bet on that.

My sons do farm sitting. it took a long time and lot of training to become experienced and ready to be on their own working. The only reason it happened was that a dear friend of mine has a horse and fiber farm so she was willing to work with my kids.

Most farmers need a demonstration of strength, calm demeanor, determination, willingness to listen and do every single thing the way the farmer wants it done (livestock thrive on routine), etc. Without that, you get spooky, unhappy, rambunctious livestock, lower milk production, lower egg production, contaminated feed and hay, you name it.

• Like 1