Menu

Tipping Poll

Sunshine State Sue

Tipping Poll  

204 members have voted

1. 1. When you tip at a restautant, do you tip on the pre-tax amount or total including tax?t?

• pre-tax amount
    • total including tax
    • other

I used to tip on the total. But then the local cities added additional taxes, like alcohol which is pretty high. So now I tip on the pre-tax amount, because as pricey as drinks can get, that extra tax significantly ups the total while really not impacting what the server was doing. If we go somewhere without alcohol I still usually do tip off of the full amount, but at that point the tax doesn't make a massive difference if that makes sense.....

Not only do we tip on the total including tax, we usually add a bit more in as I feel our tips (unless at a pricey restaurant) aren't high enough for the waiter/waitress to earn a decent living for the amount of work they are doing.  Our tips range from a low of 20% to 50% at low price places (or if we don't order much).  We have a personal minimum per person.  Once in a while we'll tip lower if the service really wasn't good, but more often we'll still make it 20% and figure the person is having a rough day.

The nice bonus is we get terrific service (and conversations) when we go to our usual places.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 11

Not only do we tip on the total including tax, we usually add a bit more in as I feel our tips (unless at a pricey restaurant) aren't high enough for the waiter/waitress to earn a decent living for the amount of work they are doing.  Our tips range from a low of 20% to 50% at low price places (or if we don't order much).  We have a personal minimum per person.  Once in a while we'll tip lower if the service really wasn't good, but more often we'll still make it 20% and figure the person is having a rough day.

The nice bonus is we get terrific service (and conversations) when we go to our usual places.   :coolgleamA:

This is what we do too. And yes, the bonus is great service. I've worked in the restaurant industry before and it's hard work for low pay (pre-tip) and no benefits at most places.

• Like 3

I never thought about it before, but I guess I tip on the total amount because that's what I look at.   

I don't assume anything one way or another about people who tip on pre-tax or total.   I can see specifically tipping on the pre-tax amount in the example of the high alcohol tax mentioned above.  

• Like 2

I don't give it much thought.  I almost never eat anywhere where 20-something percent of 6% would even be noticeable.  I mean, on a $100 bill, we're talking about little more than a buck!  Why quibble?!?

Generally speaking, I roughly cut 20% in my head and round up to the nearest $5.  If our orders were complicated, my kids were annoying, or we needed a lot of extra attention, I'll round up from a higher percentage. *ETA: or if we were just crazy about our server. We've had some really great ones!

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Like 7

I guess I do it based on the total amount, though I haven't really thought of it before. It's the big number at the bottom of the receipt so to me it makes sense to calculate the tip from that. I'm never trying to get away without paying a fair tip or anything...but it also wouldn't occur to me to condemn those who go with the lower amount. I can see the sense in that too.

A lot of countries I've travelled too don't expect tips at all, except from American tourists.   So it's not surprising that visitors from other countries would handle this differently.

It actually never occurred to me to tip on the total without tax.  I guess I've never really thought about it.  I just look at the total.  Hmmm... 

I voted other. We don't go out to eat much at all. But generally if we do go out, we tip based on what sounds like a good number based on how long we were there. So, if we are only there half an hour, we probably tip around 3 to 5 dollars. If we are there an hour, it's usually something between 5 and 10. The last time we went out to eat, it was lunch time, we were the ONLY people in the server's section and every time he left us, he went and sat at the bar playing on his phone. We gave him $3. Someone came and was sat in his section right as we were leaving. If they gave him the same $3 and stayed the same half hour (which is likely based on the fact that people don't tend to hang around for hours in a restaurant at 1:30 in the afternoon, and most folks here seem to tip a lot more than we do) then he made at least $8 an hour, to spend most of that hour playing on his phone. Which is about what my kid makes for a good solid hour of ringing up people at a large big box home improvement store, with NO phone playing (which I know because she won't even text a "hey, lemme talk to you later" until her break time.

I really do actually do try to run these types of general calculations in my head. If we are out at dinner time (very VERY rare) and someone obviously is obviously working their butt off hitting several tables, I tip more based on the work they are doing. If they manage to sound totally authentic in their small talk, I totally tip more. Once, a waitress took my business card after a discussion about wedding photography. Even though I suspected that they were going to pitch it in the trash, she got a much bigger tip because she genuinely seemed interested in the conversation and actually...you know...doing her JOB, to the BEST of her ability.

IOW, I don't tip based on the cost of my meal. I tip based on what I actually observe the server doing.

AND, to be clear, I HATE HATE HATE the entire tipping industry in general.

Tipping exists because servers are underpaid and *thus* you bill is cheaper than it would be if they were paid.

That is why servers are tipped based on the bill. Not hourly or even effort (aside from extremes , of course). It is part of the cost of your meal experience .

• Like 5

I voted other because we have no sales tax (including restaurant sales) in Oregon. The pre-tax amount IS the total. And everyone here gets minimum wage which is $9.75 an hour, which doesn't motivate me to tip unusually high. We also tend to eat at places where you order at a counter, your food may be brought to your table or you may have to go back to the counter to get it, and then you bus your own dishes at the end. I tip 15% at a regular restaurant and do not feel that is unfair at all. If I'm doing a lot of the waiter's work (eg bussing my own table, ordering at a counter), I sometimes tip and sometimes don't depending on my mood, the friendliness of the person at the counter, and how tight the budget feels.

As a math teacher, tipping on the pretax amount makes the most sense. The tax is the government's portion--why should that affect what I give the server? If it doesn't feel like enough, just tip a higher percentage but on the pre-tax amount.

I am definitely influenced by knowing that all servers here are well-compensated, and while not really a low COL area, it is not a metro high COL environment either.

• Like 3

I voted other. We don't go out to eat much at all. But generally if we do go out, we tip based on what sounds like a good number based on how long we were there. So, if we are only there half an hour, we probably tip around 3 to 5 dollars. If we are there an hour, it's usually something between 5 and 10. The last time we went out to eat, it was lunch time, we were the ONLY people in the server's section and every time he left us, he went and sat at the bar playing on his phone. We gave him $3. Someone came and was sat in his section right as we were leaving. If they gave him the same $3 and stayed the same half hour (which is likely based on the fact that people don't tend to hang around for hours in a restaurant at 1:30 in the afternoon, and most folks here seem to tip a lot more than we do) then he made at least $8 an hour, to spend most of that hour playing on his phone. Which is about what my kid makes for a good solid hour of ringing up people at a large big box home improvement store, with NO phone playing (which I know because she won't even text a "hey, lemme talk to you later" until her break time.

I really do actually do try to run these types of general calculations in my head. If we are out at dinner time (very VERY rare) and someone obviously is obviously working their butt off hitting several tables, I tip more based on the work they are doing. If they manage to sound totally authentic in their small talk, I totally tip more. Once, a waitress took my business card after a discussion about wedding photography. Even though I suspected that they were going to pitch it in the trash, she got a much bigger tip because she genuinely seemed interested in the conversation and actually...you know...doing her JOB, to the BEST of her ability.

IOW, I don't tip based on the cost of my meal. I tip based on what I actually observe the server doing.

AND, to be clear, I HATE HATE HATE the entire tipping industry in general.

Editing because I realize I might have broke a rule....

This is not how tipping is "supposed" to work in America.

Edited by reign

And everyone here gets minimum wage which is $9.75 an hour.

Personally, I don't feel even $9.75/hour ($20,280 year if full time counting 52 weeks per year) is a decent wage for someone working in the restaurant industry.  I'm also quite ok with those who do their job well earning a 6 digit annual income from it - hence - our tipping policy.  We can't give everyone a decent annual income, of course, but we can do our part when we choose to use their services.   ;)

We tip on total amount. I can't tell you how many times a server has personally thanked us for tipping in cash. I never realized that it was a big deal, but now we do it whenever we can.

We tip in cash too.  We've heard too many stories about how the server doesn't always get it if one doesn't tip in cash.

If we're at a mom & pop place, we also pay for the meal in cash most of the time - saving them the credit card fees.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 3

My mother was both a food server and a bartender for many years and she taught me to tip on the pre-tax amount. I always figured the instruction from someone who worked in an industry where tips are expected were instructions I should follow. I do however, tip what's customary. Currently that's 20%, though it used to be 15% 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 5

Or maybe they just never really thought about it. :confused1:  I take the tax amount and double it for my base 16% tip, then add a little more to that which would mean I use the pre-tax amount. It's just how I've always done it and I've worked in a restaurant before. 

This is how I have always done it to and my dad a lifelong bartender taught me so I don't feel bad. 

Personally, I don't feel even $9.75/hour ($20,280 year if full time counting 52 weeks per year) is a decent wage for someone working in the restaurant industry. 

But with tips it's way more than that. That's just the base salary. And it's a lot more than many people get who work important jobs. I don't feel like restaurant personnel are harder off than other workers in this state, whereas in some states they are because restaurant owners are allowed to pay so little. That doesn't happen here.

• Like 1

I never knew that people only tipped on pre-tax until my MIL mentioned it. We can afford to tip at least 20â„… on the total, add I give more if the person makes special connection - extra funny, very engaging, sorts out a problem. It's only a few dollars to me, but could be much more to them.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

But with tips it's way more than that. That's just the base salary. And it's a lot more than many people get who work important jobs. I don't feel like restaurant personnel are harder off than other workers in this state, whereas in some states they are because restaurant owners are allowed to pay so little. That doesn't happen here.

I'm ok with it being way more than that.  To me, server jobs are important jobs.  Most jobs are important jobs TBH.  Anything I don't want to be doing for myself at that time is an important job (maid service, cab drivers, etc).

It's only $40,000 if they double their salary with tips and $60,000 if they triple it.  Many are doing some pretty labor intensive work for their money, and they're still supposed to be nice to the public at all times while doing it.

I'm not saying everyone has to do what we're doing with tipping - just explaining our reasoning behind what we choose to do.  We have no regrets.  YMMV

• Like 1

A lot of countries I've travelled too don't expect tips at all, except from American tourists. So it's not surprising that visitors from other countries would handle this differently.

It actually never occurred to me to tip on the total without tax. I guess I've never really thought about it. I just look at the total. Hmmm...

We don't tip in NZ. If someone went above and beyond we might tip them (not based on the bill) but mostly we expect their employer to pay them like we don't tip the shop assistant at the suoermarket or the teller at the bank for the job they are paid to do.

Eta. When we did get tips they were generally put in the tip jar and shared out or used for a social event not kept by the person who received them. It has possibly become more common to tip as more and more people learn their etiquette from TV. I never go out for more than coffee anyway.

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 2

I tip about 20% on the pre-tax amount rather than the total, since I eat in places with different tax rates depending on where I go. I also adjust depending on the circumstances. If I order a really cheap meal, and sit by myself nursing a soda for an extended time, I tip a little extra to sort of cover "rent" on the table. In a case like that, I tend to tip based on what the server could have earned if I wasn't there.

• Like 3

other I am Australian, we don't tip. People here are paid an award wage. I also just about never eat in a restaurant/ eat out.

edited to add that min wage in Australia for a full time worker is $17.70 hour.  On top of that there is supperanuation, 4 weeks paid holidays and sick days. casual wages are higher

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1

I don't give it much thought.  I almost never eat anywhere where 20-something percent of 6% would even be noticeable.  I mean, on a $100 bill, we're talking about little more than a buck!  Why quibble?!?

Generally speaking, I roughly cut 20% in my head and round up to the nearest $5.  If our orders were complicated, my kids were annoying, or we needed a lot of extra attention, I'll round up from a higher percentage. *ETA: or if we were just crazy about our server. We've had some really great ones!

yes, this

except mostly what I do is roughly estimate 20% then round up to the nearest finished dollar amount that looks nice (we don't leave cash, as we don't carry it, so I like the total bill to come to $77 or $44 or $30 or $120 or whatever).  We almost always eat out with kids (on the rare occasion we do eat out) so I leave a lot more than 20% most of the time, as they are obnoxious.

I never give a delivery person less than $7 or so because I order delivery when I don't feel like going out because it is cold or rainy or something, and that seems like a bummer of a time to have to deliver food.  Also my dad was a pizza delivery guy for several months when I was a kid and the tips made the difference in that job.

However, I would massively prefer if restaurant owners would just pay waitresses and etc. a living wage and charge more for the food, so we didn't have to make up the difference.  

• Like 1

We tip on total amount. I can't tell you how many times a server has personally thanked us for tipping in cash. I never realized that it was a big deal, but now we do it whenever we can.

Servers are taxed on their hourly pay plus an assumed amount of earnings over hourly pay. This is why tipping is important. Taxes are taken from paychecks assuming the server was tipped.

At most placed the average tip is more than the government assumed pay. The only record the government gets of tips is credit card receipts. Servers are supposed to report tipped income. Many do not report tipped income. Or they report only tips received through credit card transactions because those have a record. Cash tips are usually unreported on income taxes even though there is a legal requirement to report them as income. The server who likes cash tips is very likely not reporting income. Also he may not be sharing cash tips with other people he's supposed to share with (busboys).

A server may be keeping records for taxes and just like the cash up front, but I think that's rare.

• Like 2

Servers are taxed on their hourly pay plus an assumed amount of earnings over hourly pay. This is why tipping is important. Taxes are taken from paychecks assuming the server was tipped.

At most placed the average tip is more than the government assumed pay. The only record the government gets of tips is credit card receipts. Servers are supposed to report tipped income. Many do not report tipped income. Or they report only tips received through credit card transactions because those have a record. Cash tips are usually unreported on income taxes even though there is a legal requirement to report them as income. The server who likes cash tips is very likely not reporting income. Also he may not be sharing cash tips with other people he's supposed to share with (busboys).

A server may be keeping records for taxes and just like the cash up front, but I think that's rare.

In some cases, that's most certainly true (not paying taxes over the assumed amount.)  Some servers get the cc fee taken out of their tip.

In other cases, cash is just a happy perk because the server can go home with it, instead of waiting for their employer to "cash out" at closing, or the end of the week, or not at all and just put it in the weekly or biweekly paycheck.  For those waiting tables just to make ends meet, it's a big deal.

• Like 2

Most people don't keep accurate tax records on various things - like when selling curricula, etc.  How many here charge sales tax (in states where this applies) and hand it over to the state?  If we get paid to watch a dog or child, do we declare that as income tax?  ;)

To me, a tip is a gift (since I don't have to leave one at all) and gifts aren't taxable up to $14,000 from any one individual to another.  Hubby and I almost always eat (or stay in a motel) together (sometimes with our adult kids) so we could go up to 28K before taxes would kick in on gifts.  We never get anywhere near tipping 14K per person, so if a server or maid doesn't declare it, I'm fine with that.  The fact that they get to keep more (or all) of it is also fine.  I'm giving it to them.  With maids, in addition to a tip we also sometimes leave an unopened bag of Lindt Chocolate Truffles - another gift I don't expect them to pay taxes on.

The law may say they're supposed to pay taxes on tips, but obviously, I believe the law shouldn't be that way - only if tips were required.

• Like 1

Most people don't keep accurate tax records on various things - like when selling curricula, etc. How many here charge sales tax (in states where this applies) and hand it over to the state? If we get paid to watch a dog or child, do we declare that as income tax? ;)

To me, a tip is a gift (since I don't have to leave one at all) and gifts aren't taxable up to $14,000 from any one individual to another. Hubby and I almost always eat (or stay in a motel) together (sometimes with our adult kids) so we could go up to 28K before taxes would kick in on gifts. We never get anywhere near tipping 14K per person, so if a server or maid doesn't declare it, I'm fine with that. The fact that they get to keep more (or all) of it is also fine. I'm giving it to them. With maids, in addition to a tip we also sometimes leave an unopened bag of Lindt Chocolate Truffles - another gift I don't expect them to pay taxes on.

The law may say they're supposed to pay taxes on tips, but obviously, I believe the law shouldn't be that way - only if tips were required.

I guess I see tips as required. So knowing some people don't report income doesn't stop me from tipping.

I also give tips knowing that the person unlikely to fully report the income. That doesn't change whether I give 20%. Just know that's the reason people like cash.

I teach private lessons. I have colleagues who prefer cash payment each time, precisely because there is no record. I don't do that. Dh got me into keeping a composition book in which I record payment from each client. I also have repirty curriculum sales.

Dh keeps me in line I guess. I was merely pointing out why a lot of people like cash.

• Like 1

I just look at the tax, double it, and add a bit more. 

I see tips as basically required, but if the service is terrible and that's the fault of the server then I don't give a good tip.  Only one time ever did I not tip.  The person was beyond terrible.  They really weren't doing their job.  I don't mean mistakes or it's super busy and stuff takes longer.  I mean neglecting to even do their job when there is no reason. 

Do folks realize there's not much of a difference in a pre/post tax tipping amount?

Say a bill is $100 pre tax.  20% of that is $20.

Add a 15% sales/restaurant tax and the bill is now $115.  20% of that is $23.

On a $100/$115 bill the difference is $3 - hardly something to seriously worry about for one who can afford that bill - a little extra pocket cash for the person working for _______ (a living, college expenses, to buy a car, whatever).

If we drop down to a $50 total, then we're at a difference of $1.50.

This ASSUMES a 15% restaurant tax too.  I'm honestly not sure any state or area gets that high.  A quick google search doesn't help much, but provides a list for major cities.  The highest come in at just under 11%, so lower those $3 and $1.50 amounts to $2.21 and $1.12 respectively - in the highest places listed.  

http://taxfoundation.org/article/meals-taxes-major-us-cities-0

• Like 1

I was merely pointing out why a lot of people like cash.

It probably doesn't happen in the US as much, but when traveling to some other not as developed countries, multiple servers have informed us that they don't ever see tips if they aren't left in cash.  The owners keep them.  I know I can't "prove" their stories, but it honestly doesn't surprise me if it's true, so that's when we made it our policy to almost always leave cash - and always in these types of countries.  There's no difference in cost to us one way or another, so I err on the side that is most likely to help.

I just look at the tax, double it, and add a bit more.

I see tips as basically required, but if the service is terrible and that's the fault of the server then I don't give a good tip. Only one time ever did I not tip. The person was beyond terrible. They really weren't doing their job. I don't mean mistakes or it's super busy and stuff takes longer. I mean neglecting to even do their job when there is no reason.

What is the tax rate?

Some place have only 5%. That used to be the rate in my area. Double that would be a terrible tip. Then if you go to some tourist areas, restaurant taxes can be 15% and I don't always want to leave a 30% tip. This is partly why I look at the pre-tax amount because restaurant taxes vary so much.

Some places the food bill is low and the server does work really hard. For example the diner waitress who keeps the coffee filled. In places like that I might leave close to 100% for tip. To me me it's meaningless to leave a little change when the server was working harder than 20% seems to compensate.

Do folks realize there's not much of a difference in a pre/post tax tipping amount?

Say a bill is $100 pre tax.  20% of that is $20.

Add a 15% sales/restaurant tax and the bill is now $115.  20% of that is $23.

On a $100/$115 bill the difference is $3 - hardly something to seriously worry about for one who can afford that bill - a little extra pocket cash for the person working for _______ (a living, college expenses, to buy a car, whatever).

If we drop down to a $50 total, then we're at a difference of $1.50.

This ASSUMES a 15% restaurant tax too.  I'm honestly not sure any state or area gets that high.  A quick google search doesn't help much, but provides a list for major cities.  The highest come in at just under 11%, so lower those $3 and $1.50 amounts to $2.21 and $1.12 respectively - in the highest places listed.  

http://taxfoundation.org/article/meals-taxes-major-us-cities-0

I give good tips, but really I don't go out to eat much anymore.  It's gotten ridiculously expensive. 

I like how they do it in Germany.  You just round the bill up.  So they get a few cents.  Lot less pressure that way! 

• Like 1

What is the tax rate?

Some place have only 5%. That used to be the rate in my area. Double that would be a terrible tip. Then if you go to some tourist areas, restaurant taxes can be 15% and I don't always want to leave a 30% tip. This is partly why I look at the pre-tax amount because restaurant taxes vary so much.

Some places the food bill is low and the server does work really hard. For example the diner waitress who keeps the coffee filled. In places like that I might leave close to 100% for tip. To me me it's meaningless to leave a little change when the server was working harder than 20% seems to compensate.

It's at least 8% where I am.  I live in high tax land.