Menu

What is your current internet speed?

Prairie~Phlox

If you do a speedtest? We got my husband a new router for Christmas & then he installed a new modem, so nce then, we've only been getting 30mbps. Dh said it's because everyone is still on break & using internet(even at 7am? Makes no sense) I called Comcast, they had us do a few things, nothing helped & they want to send a tech out (dh has to call to make this happen, for whatever reason I am no longer able to make changes, they claim it probably changed when they redid billing) anyway dh doesn't feel like dealing with it "right now." Super frustrated. So if you could do a free speedtest, I'd appreciate it, what are you supposed to get compared to what you do? http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/

• Like 1

25.2 download speeds, which is way too slow. We pay extra for Comcast's faster Internet. 

Off to complain to them - thanks for the thread!! :-)

Comcast will regularly throttle speeds - if you complain to them, they will "magically" fix your Internet speed.

Edited by AmandaVT
  • Like 1

25.2 download speeds, which is way too slow. We pay extra for Comcast's faster Internet. 

Off to complain to them - thanks for the thread!! :-)

Comcast will regularly throttle speeds - if you complain to them, they will "magically" fix your Internet speed.

We practically had WWIII with residential Comcast.  They are pretty sleazy in their dealings, and it is nearly impossible to talk to people that can actually DO something when you have a problem.

Business Comcast is run by a different group entirely, and we've had the best service from them.  I can't see why residential can't offer the same customer service, at least.  

Oh, mine is 73! I only pay for 55. 

Up until June of this year our speed was 1.5 with Windstream, a telephone provider. Now we are with Mediacom (cable) and I am on the intro. rate. Anything more than one point five would have made me very happy since we have over a dozen devices in the house, and it used to be that only one of them could be streaming video.

• Like 1

If you do a speedtest? We got my husband a new router for Christmas & then he installed a new modem, so nce then, we've only been getting 30mbps. Dh said it's because everyone is still on break & using internet(even at 7am? Makes no sense) I called Comcast, they had us do a few things, nothing helped & they want to send a tech out (dh has to call to make this happen, for whatever reason I am no longer able to make changes, they claim it probably changed when they redid billing) anyway dh doesn't feel like dealing with it "right now." Super frustrated. So if you could do a free speedtest, I'd appreciate it, what are you supposed to get compared to what you do? http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/

I read the first line of your post. Are you kidding "only been getting 30mbps".  How sad for you.  They had to reduce our ADSL from 5Mbps to 2 Mbps several years ago, because the phone company discovered that when they began offering TV service (TV over IP), that each TV takes about 8 Mbps dedicated to it.  We  live in a huge rural subdivision and the infrastructure isn't good, but we are thankful for it.

Now, our prayers are being answered, and another phone company is spending big bucks (Pesos in this case) to install the infrastructure here.  I think the Secretary of our H.A. mentioned Line Speed of up to 40 Mbps, when she called a few months ago, taking a survey for the new phone company. I cannot even imagine 20 Mbps, after living with 2 Mbps.

If you have Cable Modem service that Bandwidth is SHARED with your neighbors.  If you have ADSL, that Bandwidth is DEDICATED to your home.

I use SpeakEasy.Net/speedtest   to check our connection. I check two (2) cities, because if it is OK to one city and slow to another, then I Restart our ADSL Modem/Router.

I will tell my wife and DD about your problem with only 30 Mbps.  

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 3

We have 20 Mbps service for downloads and generally get fairly close to that when we use speedtest. I'm actually very happy with 20. We've got up to eight or nine devices that could be using our wifi at once, and it is still generally plenty. We can have multiple people streaming at once with no problems or slowness.

• Like 2

We have the 100Mbps Comcast plan.

My FIL is watching videos on his tablet at don't know what speed. My in-laws are visiting.

My kindle is 27Mbps download 5Mbps upload

My iPad Pro is 62Mbps download 7Mbps upload

My husband is surfing on his phone

My phone is retrieving mail

So 5 devices sucking up bandwidth simultaneously from a 5GHz WiFi router.

It's 8:30am here. People tend to leave for work at 9am.

ETA:

My iPhone is 44Mbps download 7Mbps upload.

My kids windows 10 laptop is 50Mbps download 6Mbps upload

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Thinking about this more...  

I can't even imagine why anyone would need more than 30?  Kind of like, when you have more than SPF 50 sunscreen the increase in protection is very minimal. 

Is there really that much of a difference?  On our 6, we can watch movies, we can Skype...  It might take a full second or two for a page to load.  

But OP obviously notices a difference when it's only 30, and some of you have 100?

• Like 4

I can't even imagine why anyone would need more than 30? Kind of like, when you have more than SPF 50 sunscreen the increase in protection is very minimal.

My hubby's evening conference calls were dropping connection when we were on 25Mbps. His phone is an android though and always have a lower bandwidth than my iPhone. So a Skype session on my phone is a lot more stable than on his.

My kids are on online classes using the Blackboard platform and those are bandwidth hogs.

• Like 1

My hubby's evening conference calls were dropping connection when we were on 25Mbps. His phone is an android though and always have a lower bandwidth than my iPhone. So a Skype session on my phone is a lot more stable than on his.

My kids are on online classes using the Blackboard platform and those are bandwidth hogs.

I wonder if the advantage is having several people doing those things at the same time?  Because we have had conference calls and online classes no problem with just 6.  But then, it's usually just one person at a time doing those things.

• Like 1

Currently the little guys are playing Portal 2 together over the internet.  Not sure if the older boy is awake or not and if he's awake if he's using the internet.  My laptop is over WiFi.  We have an Orbi.   We're supposed to get speeds up to 100.

I'm getting 120 down/11 up right now.

Ever since we put in the Orbi, our internet has been screaming fast.  It wasn't the internet that was super slow.  It was the router.  We have a ridiculous number of connected devices between phones and computers.

• Like 1

I just did the speed test and it was 117.7 Mbps download and 6.06 Mbps upload.  I am not sure what our plan is supposed to be, DH handles all of that because it is his area of expertise, but I know it is high.  We do a lot of online gaming and the faster speeds are really needed.

• Like 1

I wonder if the advantage is having several people doing those things at the same time? Because we have had conference calls and online classes no problem with just 6. But then, it's usually just one person at a time doing those things.

It is partially concurrent usage and partially devices. We don't have a landline so we call using those messaging apps when on home wifi to save prepaid mobile costs.

Even on public wifi, his phone (Nokia Lumia windows and now Blu android) takes forever to surf the web while my iPhone 5 which is older than his phones has faster surfing speed. I can even Skype call using Nordstrom or Macy's in store wifi but his phone has a hard time even surfing the store's online website. When his phone has connection stability problem for conference calls at home, he just use my iPad which is very stable on the 5ghz bandwidth of our home wifi router.

My iPhone speed test says 44Mbps download 7Mbps upload.

My kids windows 10 laptop says 50Mbps download 6Mbps upload

So the device use plays a big part in our house.

ETA:

He has conference calls mostly around 6-9am and 6pm onwards so internet stability is an issue. Also we live in a condo complex which has >260 units.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

I can't even imagine why anyone would need more than 30?  Kind of like, when you have more than SPF 50 sunscreen the increase in protection is very minimal. 

Is there really that much of a difference?  On our 6, we can watch movies, we can Skype...  It might take a full second or two for a page to load.  

But OP obviously notices a difference when it's only 30, and some of you have 100?

There is a definite difference.  And with some video games, forget about it.

• Like 1

We have to have it for dh's job.  He works from home and deals with some pretty massive files.  He also takes his calls through the internet.  Plus, there are 4 other people here that are constantly doing something online.  

When we had residential, we had to stay off the internet pretty much from 6AM until 6PM so he could work.  

ETA:  Currently on our network there are three laptops (dh's work), two smartphones watching videos (16yo dds), dd20's laptop (probably watching a movie), my Mac, dh's iPad (gotta play Plants vs. Zombies! while not on calls, lol!) and often the TV is on, watching Amazon or Netflix through the PS4.  And my speed test was via wifi.

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 1

58 down, 65 up - and, same result when I tried the Verizon speed test. But, that's via WiFi. I wouldn't even know where to find a cable to plug in and get wired internet - so far, this is fast enough for me. We regularly have more than one kind of video streaming (TV and iPad, for example)... not an issue.

ETA: iirc, my upload speed is always a little higher than my download speed. No idea why.

Edited by luuknam

We have comcast.  THe test said to limit applications and devices using.  I didn't since it would mean I would have to convince the others in the house to do so.  So most likely we had three computers using it and three smart phones.  Almost everyone around us is home today because they have closed the military base, Nasa, all government offices, schools, universities, etc.  Download 88, upload 11.8.  Service was slower last night and this morning than usual.  

This afternoon it is 0.  

I am at work.  DH just called to tell me that the internet and cable TV has been out since 11:30am.  I called and they said it is out and they have no idea when it will be restored.

We could go all weekend if the storm kicks in before they fix it.

But we normally get about 85-89, we pay for 100.

300/300 through Verizon when I am home. It drops to about 250ish when I get further away. Both DH and DD16 need fast internet for their businesses.

When I am working and in the RV, I have AT&T LTE which has got to be very SLOOOOW.

I win, I win!!!

I pay $500 every 3 months for a guaranteed 2-- yep T-W-O (up and down).  This is just enough to do my online classes-- but a bummer when tests are due and the students send in x-large files (cause they can!).

We supposedly get 3-5 on our Verizon home line -- DH usually works of of it.  It is too unreliable for me to use with my classes-- seriously, problems every. single. week (if not day!).  DH often pairs his computer with his work-provided Iphone (unliminted data)...

We are about 2 blocks away from 50-100 land!  Carriers have no plans to build our way... grrrr

Joys of living out in the boonies (at least it is quiet and the views and wildlife viewing is great here!).

• Like 2

What is your plan? That's the first thing you need to know. Second, what type of modem and is it approved for the plan? Sometimes you really have to have a tech come out and look. You may still have splitters, a bad connection or some other unforeseen thing like new homes added onto your node. 

368.30/33.42

Gaming family here. We all game together or some game while others stream videos. We're lucky to live in a newer area that is super fast. We upgraded our modem and router and Cox had to reconfigure (can't remember the specific word) things on their end to allow for the speeds. They removed any splitters we still had from when we had cable. We're getting well over what we're paying for (300/30). We moved up to the next plan, which doubled the speed of the previous plan, when we added 2 more computers for our YouTube fiends. 

We are supposed to get 150 and yes, the modem is approved and has been registered with Comcast.

• Like 2

We are supposed to get 150 and yes, the modem is approved and has been registered with Comcast.

Do you have a Ethernet Cat5 cable to connect any device direct to the modem? Our direct/wired connection is very fast and what we use when our wifi router was down. My condo comes wired for Ethernet and we have many Cat5 cables at home so my kids can connect their laptops to internet by wired cables even if our router goes on strike.

Our Netgear wifi router's 2.4Ghz band is horrible but once we switch our devices to the 5Ghz band, it was so much better. My husband also tweak the router settings security protocol until I am happy with the speed. He had to read the manual cover to cover and surf the web for troubleshooting tips. We also have a LG smart TV that we use to watch YouTube because of the big screen size.

Another thing we learned was not to put our router near our TV even though our TV is seldom turned on. They don't like each other :P