Menu

s/o engagement ring

nevergiveup

I wore mine until they were too small due to weight gain. Didn't wear them for a year or two, then got them resized. Then gained MORE weight, and they didn't fit. Then had bariatric surgery, and was SO happy when I could wear them again. They are maybe a tad bit too loose now, but not enough to bother resizing again. And I'm hoping to make it through the whole pregnancy with them, which never happened before. (always had swollen fingers and had to wear on a chain around my neck with the other kids)

• Like 1

Do you wear your engagement ring/wedding ring?

I have never worn either--I only had an engagement ring and have never really worn it.

My husband does not have a wedding ring nor would he wear one....

Yes, whenever I leave the house. When I'm home I take my rings off. Actually, I take off all my jewelry.

Mr. Ellie and I gave each other fancy schmancy rings for our 20th anniversary: he gave me a ring with little rubies (my birthstone) and diamonds. Is that called an anniversary ring? Anyway, one ring to wear as a wedding band. And then he gave me a diamond for our 25th anniversary, so of course I had to have a new wedding band with all diamonds to match. :-)

dh wears his most of the time, except when he is playing music. He feels like it gets in the way.  I wear mine...half the time? I often take it off because my hands are in dough or I'm kneading something and then I forget to put it on for days at a time.

When my kids were babies I never wore my engagement ring. I was afraid it would scratch the baby.

I wear my engagement ring (lost inexpensive wedding band...never liked it anyways) only because I can get flirted with when I'm out otherwise which is not my favorite thing. I wish our culture didn't have wedding rings as the symbol that you're single or not. I would never wear one otherwise.

I wear my engagement ring and wedding ring all the time. I've only taken them off at the end of my two pregnancies, when I got stung by a yellow jacket on that finger, and surgery. 

What I wish I was wearing is a small heart ring with a ruby that I wore on my pinky finger next to my wedding rings. When my dh was a little boy, he saved pennies to buy his wife a wedding present. He took the actual pennies and bought a small ruby and presented it to me at our wedding rehearsal dinner while reading the scripture about a wife being worth more than rubies. I had it put in a setting later. I lost the stone on a day I traveled out of town. I was so upset! Honestly, I would rather it have been the diamond in my engagement ring. 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 3

My engagement ring and wedding band are soldered together. I don't wear them in the house but I always wear them when I'm out in the world. I've felt ill on the few occasions that I've had to go out without them! DH almost never removes his. I find that incredibly sweet.

Do you wear your engagement ring/wedding ring?

I have never worn either--I only had an engagement ring and have never really worn it.

My husband does not have a wedding ring nor would he wear one....

Neither of us do now.  My knuckles got larger and my husband's got smaller.  Mine was uncomfortable and his slid off.

They are in a drawer.  Maybe some day we will resize them. 

I took Sparkly's question to mean not why you hate it but why people would think you have an unhealthy marriage if you don't wear it.

I had to buy a larger wedding ring from a pawn shop to wear during my 1st pregnancy (when I was an Army wife) to stop the gossiping that my DH and I were on the verge of divorcing. It was so stupid because I was visibly pregnant, but the rumor mill was horrible in that environment so I had to take action to shut up the gossipers.

Our engagement rings were cheap (under 20 euros for the two of them, iirc) silver rings that weren't very comfortable (mine kept falling off or hurting depending on the temperature, without any change in weight). So, I haven't worn my engagement ring since we got married, and neither has my wife, I'm pretty sure. Our wedding rings were titanium with an inlay (iirc silver, not sure) and much more comfortable, but we both gained a bunch of weight after getting married. So, I ended up wearing her ring, and she ended up without a ring. Though I haven't worn the ring in quite a while. It looks kind of big on my hands. Plus, my weight has fluctuated, so it would fit, and then be too loose, and then fit again, etc.

I only have one ring.  I never wore it regularly, but now I can't even get it on my finger due to swollen knuckles (well that and pregnancy.)  Also, I rarely wear jewelry of any type. DH used to wear his wedding ring all the time, but due to skin issues on his hands no longer wears it. 

We exchanged simple silver rings when we were handfasted (22 years ago), which I wore until we were officially engaged a few months later. My husband wore his handfasting ring until we were married (21 years ago) and since has worn his wedding ring unless he's actively on the mat for aikido or doing something that would make it dangerous (woodworking, etc). It needs to be resized because he lost a good bit of weight and it's loose, but it's a Celtic knotwork pattern in silver that wouldn't resize well. He wears a plastic spacer on it to keep it on.

My engagement ring was a blending of our family histories and I wear it all the time unless I'm doing something that could damage it or get it really filthy. He had his great-grandmother's beautiful antique rose gold engagement ring but the stone had been lost at some point. I had my great-great-aunt's engagement ring with a very unattractive setting, so we moved the stone into the setting he had, then had a thin rose gold band made to match it (so we spent about $60). They are soldered together to keep them from wearing on each other because the wedding band has to curve around the engagement ring. We even married on the date inscribed in the engagement ring (but a few years later ;) --the ring date was in 1902). It's a fairly small, low profile ring, with the stone nestled in a scrolled setting rather than a raised Tiffany-like setting, so doesn't cause issues with scratching. It's the only jewelry I wear consistently.

• Like 1

That sounds similar to mine, which would have been made about the same time period. It is rose gold, but has emeralds. And my wedding ring was made to seat around the scrolling. It's thin and low profile. I wear it all the time.

We exchanged simple silver rings when we were handfasted (22 years ago), which I wore until we were officially engaged a few months later. My husband wore his handfasting ring until we were married (21 years ago) and since has worn his wedding ring unless he's actively on the mat for aikido or doing something that would make it dangerous (woodworking, etc). It needs to be resized because he lost a good bit of weight and it's loose, but it's a Celtic knotwork pattern in silver that wouldn't resize well. He wears a plastic spacer on it to keep it on.

My engagement ring was a blending of our family histories and I wear it all the time unless I'm doing something that could damage it or get it really filthy. He had his great-grandmother's beautiful antique rose gold engagement ring but the stone had been lost at some point. I had my great-great-aunt's engagement ring with a very unattractive setting, so we moved the stone into the setting he had, then had a thin rose gold band made to match it (so we spent about $60). They are soldered together to keep them from wearing on each other because the wedding band has to curve around the engagement ring. We even married on the date inscribed in the engagement ring (but a few years later ;) --the ring date was in 1902). It's a fairly small, low profile ring, with the stone nestled in a scrolled setting rather than a raised Tiffany-like setting, so doesn't cause issues with scratching. It's the only jewelry I wear consistently.

I wear both whenever I leave the house and most of the time at home. I don't sleep or shower in them. They go on when I get dressed in the morning and come off at night. If my fingers have swelled during the day, they might come off early. It wasn't expensive to have them resized when I gained a bit of permanent weight.

We never had engagement rings, but our engagement was very casual since we eloped.

My spouse always wears both his newer ring as well as the original ring which got a crack in it that he now wears on a necklace.

I do not wear one at all and haven't for most of our marriage. I find any metal jewelry on my hands or wrists painful unless it i so loose that it falls off...which happened a lot in the first few months until it went flying during an overly excited conversation, never to be seen again. For a couple years, I wore a rubber-wood that I found for a quid - I think it was meant to be a toe ring - and after it broke I never got a replacement as the little indie shop I bought it from no longer exists.

While writing this, it occurred to me that my bag is covered in identifying badges and buttons and patches - some for my medical disability, some for hobbies, some for polyamory and queer ones, some for important causes, and some funny ones like 'I'm not short, I'm fun-sized!'. I've even had custom ones done because I enjoy them so much and for some making them more visible when they're hushed feels important like my disability pride and invisible wounds awareness ones. I've never got or considered one for my marital status. I have been working on a tattoo design on and off for a few years though... 

• Like 1

I wore my engagement ring and my wedding band together everyday for the first 4 years of our marriage.  It wasn't my style at all & I had trouble with it at work where I was constantly banging it on things or it would get full of clay & I'd have to take it off and clean it, but Dh liked it & bought it for me & I wore it.  During my last trimester of my first pregnancy I couldn't wear them because my hands were so swollen so I wore them on a chain around my neck.  One day the chain clasp broke and my rings were gone.

My MIL was aghast that I was pregnant and not wearing a wedding ring so she gave me one of her rings that looked like a wedding ring.  One day while I was making meatballs with my hands, I took it off and put it in my pocket so it wouldn't get full of raw meat.  I totally forgot about it and I washed & dried those pants and somewhere in the washer or dryer that ring disappeared.  I told my dh not to get me another ring with a diamond in it because I apparently can't handle it.  I asked for a plain band.

The ring he found to replace it is an anniversary band. It was our 5 anniversary so 5 little diamonds across the top, no scratchy prongs, no ornate business for stuff to get caught in, no tall, sticky-outie parts.  I have worn that one almost every day for the past 21 years.  He didn't like it.  He said it is too plain and boring, but I love it.  This year for our 25th anniversary he asked if I wanted an "upgrade."  I reminded him of the wedding, the 2 kids in college, the car that needs to be replaced, etc. but he wouldn't let it go, so I picked out a super thin, pave diamond band that is all sparkle that I wear either on my right hand or on my left with my other ring.  I can not sleep in my jewelry either so we made some ring holders and I have one at the kitchen sink where I cook or do dishes, one in my bathroom and one on my bedside table.  

Dh wears his everyday & only takes it off to workout or play hockey.

My parents lived on a ranch when they were first married and my mom was feeding a calf that was being weaned.  You feed them hot mash that is like oatmeal in consistency.  Because the calves don't really know how to eat out of a pan you hand fed them by letting them suck the stuff off your fingers.  You guessed it.  That calf sucked my mom's wedding ring right off her hand.  She followed that calf around for some time waiting to see if it would come out the other end, but she never saw it again.  My dad didn't wear his due to the nature of his work so she took his matching band in & had it sized to fit her and she wore it everyday for the next 48 years.

Amber in SJ

Edited by Amber in SJ

I used to wear both but the prongs are bent on the setting for my engagement ring and I have had zero time to find a jeweler to take it to, and I often take that ring off when I exercise or do yard work anyway, so lately I have just been wearing my band. It has crossed my mind that the engagement ring is unnecessary at this point. But I am not a jewelry person at all.

I wear mine all the time. After breaking his finger and having his sawed off and losing the second one cliff diving, my doh now wears a rubber one lol.

When I read this for the first time, I was horrified since I read it as if his finger was sawed off and another finger lost cliff diving. Upon rereading, I am relieved that you probably mean the ring.

• Like 2

I stopped wearing mine 2 kids ago as they no longer fit. I wore them as a necklace on a chain for a bit during the first pregnancy, but necklaces irritate my skin.

My dh never wears his and it is lost I'm sure. He told me he wouldn't (used to have an occupation where rings ar not safe) and only wore it for the ceremony. It was actually from his first marriage anyway, so I don't care.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

slightly O/T, but then again not:

I have trouble with the concept of engagement rings. How does the idea of an engagement ring that is worth several monthly salaries and historically the show of earnest money on part of the man who is doing the buying fit in with a modern understanding of equality? 

Exchanging rings as a sign of serious intent I get; a hugely expensive one sided transaction I don't. (Plus I also abhor conspicuous display of wealth.)

Am I the only one who thinks this is outdated?

I don't think it was a one sided transaction; the man was exchanging money for reproductive control (I'm trying to remember the word for it - something that means the sole right to the reproductive facility of the woman).

Or I guess it was really two transactions - one between the man and the woman's family, and the other between the man and the woman (where she gains a provider and protector and he gains a household manager and producer of offspring that is guaranteed to be his).  

At any rate, I don't see it as any more outdated than changing your name or buying a Christmas tree.  The significance has changed somewhat.

fwiw, we don't wear rings and I haven't changed my last name - but we are super traditionalist as far as gender roles and social moral codes.  We just aren't too attached to the symbolic or ritualistic parts - we're also not religious.

I wear only my wedding band. The engagement ring (and anniversary wrap) comes out only for special occasions.

My dh wears his wedding band only on special occasions.

Edited by Kinsa

slightly O/T, but then again not:

I have trouble with the concept of engagement rings. How does the idea of an engagement ring that is worth several monthly salaries and historically the show of earnest money on part of the man who is doing the buying fit in with a modern understanding of equality?

Exchanging rings as a sign of serious intent I get; a hugely expensive one sided transaction I don't. (Plus I also abhor conspicuous display of wealth.)

Am I the only one who thinks this is outdated?

You're not the only one. I think it's outdated, too.

DH and I exchanged wedding rings. No engagement ring before ceremony.

On our 10th anniversary, we exchanged rings again. He wears both. :)

• Like 1