Menu

Is it too early to talk Halloween costumes?

alisoncooks

One of these years, I wish my kids would just be content with a simple grab-and-go costume from Target...

Oldest DD wants to be Jinx from Teen Titans Go.  The outfit shouldn't be too hard (black dress, striped tights, black boots, choker) but that hair!!!   :glare:  :glare:  I'm guessing I'll be experimenting with a fringed wig and some styrofoam cones...?

Youngest DD wants to be Ron Weasley.  Not Harry.  Not Hermione.  
Ron.   :huh:  (Because he's her favorite character, she says. :p)

LOL, I can throw together a Hogwarts uniform, I suppose, and just pop an orange-y wig on her head.  I guess if she walks around with a blank expression, exclaiming "Bloody 'ell" every minute or so, everyone should know who she's supposed to be. (I jest. I don't encourage profanity in my kiddos, LOL.)

Are your kids already discussing costumes? 

Do you make them or buy them (or both)?

I tend to "piece together" from store-bought things (I don't sew).

Edited by alisoncooks

I make or piece together our costumes every year. Last year the boys were Batman and Robin. Those costumes were easy peasy and turned out great. Tights, underwear on the outside, attach some logos, and duct tape boots and belts. This year, they want to be Spiderman and the green goblin. I'm not sure how well a spider mask will go over (he's only 2), and a goblin costume is intimidating. I need to figure out how to do it.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

Never too early! I love costumes!

My daughter wants to be the animal-loving fairy Fawn this year. I'm not crafty AT ALL, so I piece together costumes from store- and Etsy-bought pieces. Her costume should be pretty easy this time--brown shirt, brown leggings, orange tunic, green "pine needle" belt, and fairy wings. I can just braid her hair--no wig required. I told her I'd attempt to dye some white canvas shoes orange, and my mom is making the orange tunic. Our dog is going to wear little fairy wings, too.  :)

it's actually a good time - provided they actually stick with what they want.   one year, dudeling really wanted to be a white blood cell (dd was studying for her PCAT at the time.)  by the time I figured out how to make one - he wanted to reuse his buzz lightyear costume.   (he really doesn't care for Halloween. and he hated trick-or-treating)

depending what craigslist is like in your area - they can also be a good source of costumes.  my favorite kids consignment shop has closed after 35 years (I don't know why they didn't just sell it) . . . sad.

eta: ebay has had some great wands for as little as $10 - including ron's. 

Edited by gardenmom5

My kids usually pick things that aren't available as store-bought without spending a million dollars.  :tongue_smilie:

This year dd wants to be a Gardevoir (a Pokémon).  Should be possible with a  white dress, a green dress and some add-ons, with a green wig.

Ds doesn't know but is leaning toward a squid.  Maybe.  Or a penguin in a top hat (see below)

Last year they were a fairy (a sparkly shirt, tutu and tights we already had, purchased wings) and a dinosaur (PJ onsie from Target that we actually bought right before Halloween AFTER I had bought stuff to do a penguin in a top hat - he might try the penguin this year).

The year before was a Zombie Pigman and Enderman from Minecraft - made by printing out patterns and putting them on foam board.

Year before that - a unicorn and a Purrloin (Purple Cat Pokémon) - a sweats base with add-ons

Year before that - Strawberry Shortcake and a Creeper - almost completely handmade

The year before was evidently the last time we did store-bought - Jessie from Toy Story and Wario  from Mario Brothers

• Like 1

By boys want to be ninjas from ninjago. Easy. Dd crocheted them each a ninja hood. Matching color shirts and pants.

My girls? No idea. I hate Halloween. Dd10 really hated her homemade costume last year. Though she NEVER said so. I really want her to enjoy out this year, since I'm not crafty, I'll buy it.

Nah, not too early for me. Dd (almost 2) will probably be a black cat. We have talked about costume ideas for ds, but nothing in stone. I have always wanted to do a family costume... but it's really unlikely that will happen. I've always wanted us to go as the Munsters, but dh is a stick in the mud about it despite it being his favorite holiday. Dd would either be Marilyn or Grandpa in bat form lol. More than likely ds will do this own thing. He also likes to pick characters that aren't necessarily a grab n go costume. Last year he was a zombie. Ds was a Hogwarts student one year, but he didn't want to be Harry Potter so we didn't do the glasses or scar.

I agree you might have to settle for "close enough" with the hair. I have seen Teen Titans Go but not lately. Is Jinx only in the show sometimes? I am not familiar with her. Alternatively, is there a way to buy a troll wig?? The Trolls movie comes out soon! Maybe you could score one.

We have always done family costumes, but this is the first year that kid #2 has definite ideas, so it won't work. 

DD wants to be Eos, Greek goddess of the dawn, so I'm with her and probably going to do Athena.

Ben wants to be Gekko from the PJ Masks, so I think DH is going to be the villain Romeo.

We make and piece together costumes. I think the only one I didn't make was DD's Glinda dress when she was 4.

My kids are well along with their costumes...one is going to be a trash can, and we found a cheap and hilarious red trash can with a lid that opens to reveal her face at Walmart. Bonus is we'll use it as a recycling bin when she's done.

Oldest is so busy with starting high school, she'll pull it together last minute.

It's MY costume that stumps me...I do have a rainbow wig in my closet, and a few Mardi Gras masks...

Amy

My oldest has a gorgeous pair of black, feathered wings (that may have accidentally bee left at my house when she moved to my moms).  I'm thinking with a long black trench coat I own, I could be a dark angel.

Except I think I want to do our towns Truck or Treat as a Mad Science lab (our 4-H club is the Mad STEM Scientists) so would wear a lab coat, funny wig, etc.

DD wants to be an Eastern box turtle. (She has been a cobra, a horned lizard, and a tree frog in past years-she figures that she hasn't been a chelonian yet, plus since Squirtle is one of the starters in Pokemon Go, people might actually recognize her this year) We saw a turtle shell backpack at Walmart in the Back to school stuff, so I'm hoping it will be reduced for clearance tomorrow since it will be after Labor Day. If we can get the Shell, I think I can manage the rest with a hoodie, appropriate pants, felt, and fabric paint.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 1

Way too early. Mine started discussing, I just ignore the topic. Gladly they know to go for easy costumes... I never devote a lot of money or time on this.

ETA: but, we did talk about Christmas today. Never too early for that. And I've already started some Christmas shopping (actually I started a day or two after last Christmas😂)

Edited by mamiof5

We have mostly always made ours.  When they were little bitty they had some store bought costumes passed to them but mostly we make.  A few things they have been

Cowboy

Farmer

Old man -- super cute -- goodwill sports coat, clip on tie, glasses with lens popped out, fedora, cane

Fonzie -- from Happy Days -- jeans rolled up, white t-shirt, leather jacket, hair slicked back

Davy Crockett

Daniel Boone

Teddy Roosevelt

Andrew Jackson

CSI agent -- black vest & black ball cap with CSI letters printed out and attached to both

Duck Dynasty guys

Edmond and Peter (Lion, Witch and Wardrobe)

I can't really sew.  I can add a few embellishments but sewing a whole costume, No Way.

• Like 1

My 13yo DD wants to be a suffragette.  I am not sure how to do that.  My 11yo DS wants to be Link because we found his sword during our last trip to Chinatown in SF.  We tend to piece together costumes from thrift store finds.   Last year's Kid Flash costume was red track pants, a yellow long sleeve shirt with the symbol painted on by his artist sister, gauntlet gloves painted red, red swim goggles and we colored his hair bright red.

Amber in SJ

I've hand-knitted an R2D2 hat for a three-month-old and sewed black satin into a Darth Vader cape for a 3yo, in addition to the Luke and Leia costumes, and DH used an iron-on transfer to turn a black sweatshirt into DV's machinery.  That was one year.

Another, I created Drax and Rocket Raccoon costumes, using sweatshirts, felt, and fabric paint, for the then 1yo and 3yo.  They were all Guardians that year.  The big boys' costumes (Starlord and Groot) were store bought, and DD created her Gamora costume from thrift store finds.

One year, I also made a Robin costume out of a couple of t-shirts and craft felt.  (The same child has been R2D2, Robin, and Rocket Raccoon.)  They were all superheroes that year (pre-DS4).

So yeah, costumes are my children's love language.  It's a combination of store bought and whatever materials DH and I can use to create stuff.

I'm trying to convince the four boys to be hobbits this year.  They're all on board, except the youngest, the 3yo.  HE says, "Me no want be Pippin.  Me want be ARAGORN!"  I don't know if it will happen or not.  

• Like 1

My kids are boring :tongue_smilie: I made their costumes when they were 3 or 4.  Ever since then, they want boring, off-the-shelf costumes.  Five minutes in Costco sealed the deal.  In August.

Last year, I was able to encourage them to be Luke and Leia.  They were adorable.

This year, my girl picked Anna from Frozen (will that ever go away?  She was Elsa two years ago).  Disney - Let it go already. :rofl:

My boy picked Kylo Ren.  He's my favorite Star Wars geek til the end! 

It's never too early to talk about Halloween costumes. I think my DD is going to have multiple costumes because we always go to multiple events. We'll be at Legoland on October 2nd and there will be a Halloween event, Brick or Treat, going on, so we need to figure out Florida appropriate, simple costumes for at least the kids for that day, maybe all of us. Last year we went to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party dressed in costumes designed for actual fall weather, and we roasted. We will not be wearing fall Halloween costumes in Florida again this year.

Kittygirl (5) is talking about being butterfly girl at Legoland. She has a pair of cloth monarch butterfly wings in her dress up box, and we'd pair it with an orange shirt and black shorts. At home, she's talking about being Little Red Riding Hood. She already has a red cloak, which my mom made her for Christmas last year. I found an adorable dress at Target that's printed with a Little Red Riding Hood motif, so she'll probably pair that with the cloak. The dress is sleeveless and fairly short, so I'll probably have to add a shirt and leggings. Both ideas are pretty simple and easy, so I hope she doesn't come up with some other crazy idea. If she's Little Red Riding Hood she wants me to be the grandma. I can probably just use the dress I used to be Caroline Ingalls last year and add a grey wig.

Squirrelboy (11) is really undecided this year. I'm trying to convince him to just wear a Camp Half Blood t shirt along with something to indicate which god or goddess he's associated with. I may be able to convince him to do that at Legoland, but I don't think he'll go for it for home. The other day he talked about being Indiana Jones. I'm not sure how I'd pull that one together.

I just placed my first order for costume bits.  I can already see that this year is going to be a pricey one...  :001_unsure:

I ordered an orange wig, a wand, and a rat for my youngest/Ron Weasley. (I already have a black graduation robe that I can hem/fabric tape; I just need to hit the thrift stores for a white button-down and a sweater vest.)  Harry Potter fans, I'm sure you can relate:  I think it's hilarious that my Ron Weasley will be wearing a hand-me-down robe. LOL.

And for my Jinx (a villain from Teen Titans Go, one of the Hive Five), I bought a black dress, striped tights and a wig.  Now I need to make a purple collar to tack onto the dress, along with a choker necklace and black hair bands.  That should be enough.  The dress doesn't look just like Jinx's, but it'll be something DD can use this winter for church, haha.

Whoever recommended the troll wig for Jinx's hair -- GENIUS!  I don't know if this will work, but if it does, it will save me a ton of time!  I'm going to try to part it into two points on top, like the character has.  

Edited by alisoncooks

My kids haven't talked about it at all yet, but today is the last of our summer birthdays (youngest DS is 6) and so we will be moving into "autumn mode" now and I'm sure it'll come up soon.

My guys like to dress up in general, especially my youngest. I never know exactly who I am going to be homeschooling each day until we make it to the table and then if I don't get it off the bat he introduces himself to me ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

FWIW, our first Halloween event was this past weekend, so it definitely isn't too early. I had Squirtle done, but still haven't quite finished the Red Eared slider hoodie to go under the shell. We're using the same TMNT shell (with duct tape patterns added so it looks more like a real turtle and less like body armor) for both.

I told DD(3) that she had to be something I could buy. I'm not creative, or crafty, and this year we just needed easy.  :laugh:

She wanted to be a ghost originally, but changed her mind at the last minute to being Rapunzel.  

The twins (b/g, 9 months), are going to be a cat(girl) and a mouse(boy) (which also perfectly describes their relationship, lol!) 

• Like 1

My boys are going as Doc Brown and Marty McFly from Back to the Future. I'm having to modify an adult sized doctor's coat into a white scientist jumpsuit for Doc. Basically I'm sewing the bottom into legs, we'll see how that turns out! Marty is easier, but I need to find the blue checked shirt for him still. The red puffy vest and jeans are on order with the Children's Place.

• Like 2

My kids are adult but the two girls really get into Halloween.  The younger just sent us a picture of her dorm room all decorated.  Anyway, they both will probably dress up in some way but I have nothing to do with it.  Both girls started making or acquiring their costumes by the time they were older preteens.  I don't really remember how long ds participated in Halloween things.  I don't know if he had Halloween events at college.  I know my youngest is in the Society of Physics Students and they do a pumpkin drop every year.

DD is going as a black cat to pair with her BFF, who is going as a witch.

DS is going as Peter Pan. I have to make his hat this week, and pick up a pair of green leggings for him somewhere. We found a suitable tunic at Goodwill.

My daughter is going steampunk this year:  brown corset over a cream shirt with long puffy sleeves https://www.spirithalloween.com/product/brown-steampunk-corset/132943.uts?keyword=steampunk%20corset&thumbnailIndex=1&Search=Find+It, green striped knee-length bustle skirt (see the lower pictures in this blog for the skirt on someone http://jauntydame.com/2011/10/always-a-bridesmaid-never-a-sailor-wearing-a-bustle/), maybe tights, and short boots (either these granny boots http://kenaione.tumblr.com/post/3594759544/vintage-amanda-smith-cocoa-brown-leather-cap-toe or these combat boots with floral lace  

https://www.thehunt.com/finds/obUhHb-nature-breeze-prima-01-women%2527s-embroidered-lace-ankle-combat-boots

Edited by KarenNC

DS will be Bill(?) from Gravity Falls(?) and DD is going to be Owlette from PJ Masks.

DH bought a mask and cape for the Owlette costume and made a logo out of iron on vinyl for a red hoodie he found. 

DH and DS made the Bill costume out of posterboard.  They bought a black hoodie and a top hat from the ARC.  They did more stuff stuff. 

I have to buy sweatpants for each that match their costumes and that's my only contribution to Halloween costumes.  Which I love.  :)

I have one son who wants to be Link from Zelda and another who has no ideas yet for his costume.

I am making the green tunic and hat and having him wear a turtleneck and leggings underneath. My older son is helping him make the sword and shield etc. I need to find some brown boots and a brown belt at a thrift shop.

Edited by LucyStoner

Dh will be a Christmas tree. I just need to find a way to power the lights I'll wrap around him, then cover him in Christmas decorations.

I'll be the angel from on top of the tree. I always wear my wedding dress, I already have some fairy wings which will do. I just have to make a halo.

Boys will be Christmas presents. Easily made with cardboard boxes. I plan to use tinfoil instead of wrapping paper so they will be highly reflective.

• Like 1

One of these years, I wish my kids would just be content with a simple grab-and-go costume from Target...

Oldest DD wants to be Jinx from Teen Titans Go. The outfit shouldn't be too hard (black dress, striped tights, black boots, choker) but that hair!!! :glare: :glare: I'm guessing I'll be experimenting with a fringed wig and some styrofoam cones...?

Youngest DD wants to be Ron Weasley. Not Harry. Not Hermione.

Ron. :huh: (Because he's her favorite character, she says. :p)

LOL, I can throw together a Hogwarts uniform, I suppose, and just pop an orange-y wig on her head. I guess if she walks around with a blank expression, exclaiming "Bloody 'ell" every minute or so, everyone should know who she's supposed to be. (I jest. I don't encourage profanity in my kiddos, LOL.)

Are your kids already discussing costumes?

Do you make them or buy them (or both)?

I tend to "piece together" from store-bought things (I don't sew).

A broken wand and/or ugly old fashioned dress robes (think lacey old nightgown dyed black) are good Ron Weasley props

• Like 1

They are going as Dipper and Mabel from Gravity Falls. I've been putting it together for about a week. Today I found a light up paper pumpkin that's supposed to be used as a card embellishment but can easily be put on a sweater for a Mabel look. She also has a mini Waddles. Ds got a Dipper hat, a blue vest and a copy of the 3rd journal. We're going to paint a green ? on canvas totes for their bags. And oldest, who will be walking them this year got a Gravity Falls t shirt to sell it a bit more. I'm worried they won't look dressed up.

My son is going to be Dipper as well. I share your concern about him not looking dressed up as well. But I'm glad it's settled and we have his costume together.