Menu

Nursing in public

rwilk

I currently have a newborn. We live in Berkeley, so public attitudes toward breastfeeding are very liberal.  I never use a cover, and I feel no pressure to.  Based on my experience with kid 1 and this kid (so far), I am not skilled enough at nursing to do so with a cover.  It's too hard to get a latch.  Pumping produces an average of 1/4 of an oz over a whole day of pumping after each feeding. 

We are moving to the Pittsburgh PA area in two weeks, and it occurs to me that attitudes are likely to be different in different areas of the country. I looked up the laws, and technically, I should be within the bounds of the law to continue to nurse in public with no cover.  But I'm not sure about socially.  

I'm curious to know about different areas across the country.  What are attitudes like in your community?  What part of the country do you live in?  And would you let local attitudes impact your behavior in this?

• Like 1

I've nursed 3 kids in various parts of Florida with no issue, ever. Never even a dirty look. One time, in a Mcdonalds, a man walked up and said, "Do you know where you are?" and I thought he was going to give me crap about nursing there. Turns out, he just needed directions to the highway, lol!

• Like 14

I live in Northern VA. I nursed in public all the time, but always covered. The last child I nursed was 14 years ago. Times may have changed.

I'd probably follow local norms whatever they were.

ETA I think you should nurse in whatever way your baby is comfortable. I don't notice nursing moms, I think because I don't find it unusual--its just normal.

Edited by Diana P.

I never covered up (my babies just didn't like to have their heads covered like that), but I did my best to be discreet. I'm in the south where attitudes can be good or bad.

My girls nurse in public all the time, and neither of them uses a cover. One is very discreet, and the other (3rd baby), a little less so, although she still isn't showing more than most women in summer clothing.

I wouldn't let other people's attitudes/issues with nursing affect what I was doing to feed my baby. I was respectful enough to be discreet, but I certainly wasn't gonna go off in a bathroom or cover my baby if he/she didn't want to be covered.

I see plenty of things that offend me in public that I don't complain about, so I'm not really gonna worry about some random person potentially being offended by my baby eating.

• Like 3

I just moved from the Bay Area to Iowa, which, unsurprisingly, is more conservative. I have two toddlers and my 3 mo; even if I used a cover it would get flung aside as I fly across the playground to intervene in toddler shenanigans. Since my littlest was born, I've nursed in public sans cover everywhere I go (including pushing a shopping cart in the grocery store), and I haven't received any comments.

• Like 1

I don't usually use a cover but I pull my clothing up so that nothing is really 'showing' that isn't covered by baby head or clothes. I'm too big on top to use normal nursing clothing but layers and discretion work fine. Nobody has ever given me lip even in a fairly buttoned up area.

It's hard to cover up with twins. I nursed several places in public - here in DC, but also visiting relatives in NC and GA, and I never had anyone say anything negative. I once got a leer. And I wasn't allowed to feed them both on the airplane. But otherwise... I'd just not worry about it.

With my first, I got the nastiest looks from a woman in the airport(Kansas). My daughter was under a blanket! She must have been thinking really hard about what was going on under there. :/ I never covered up after that because dd started pulling it off anyway. We live in SoCal and I never noticed any other nasty looks or comments.

I tried to be discreet but I just didn't worry about what people thought.

Why should I care what people think about my baby eating?

Answer me that, and I can answer your last question, though phrases like "I don't get swayed by peer pressure and wouldn't think that a good lesson for my kids" and "not their business" are apt to be thrown about.

This is why booby hats were invented.  To passively-aggressively tell people to mind their own business.  And not so passively, a great big mouth that shouts out the law while simultaneously calling the offender a perv.

• Like 1

I live in Atlanta, and I've nursed 4 babies everywhere around town and wherever we've traveled. The only comments I've gotten have been positive ones. A sweet older gentleman brought over a bottle of water to me and told me I was a good mama at WDW once. Though I have a fairly intense BRF, so there may have been comments thought that people decided not to make. ;)

• Like 3

I nursed five for over a year each - incl. one who required two months of instruction on how to nurse. (good thing I was experienced, or I would have given up.) - and another who  liked to just taste the end of the nipple, like a little gourmet. (he made me so sore . . . . ) I have to shove myself down his throat!  it was that or wean him at six weeks.

that said - I am sick of women being obvious about nursing in public. (my first experience with a woman nursing I was probably 10.  she was also an exhibitionist about nursing.  iow: she pulled her peasant neck shirt off her shoulder, and breast was completely bare - she would also do things to draw attention to herself while nursing.  my mother - who didn't nurse her own children - criticized me for using a cover when my jerk of a brother was visiting.)

find a quiet space, use a cover, lift a shirt from the bottom, etc.  the is dignity in being discrete.

I've a friend who had her newborn in a podagi and no one could tell she was nursing.

• Like 2

It doesn't bother me at all when I see a whole breast while someone is feeding their child. The fact that I was able to breastfeed at all after my childhood issues was pretty amazing, but I was still uncomfortable letting it all hang out, so to speak. I envied those who were more comfortable with their bodies than I.

• Like 3

Nursing is not done by a large percentage of the population where I live. They are very conservative and I feel shy about nursing even keeping covered up. I am weaning mine now and have only done very limited NIP. Like, wearing two tops or the one time I nursed wearing my carrier (but it's very hard, I had to loosen the straps a lot and didn't feel comfortable setting it up in front of people. I was in the hallway of the church and a couple people walked by later). I wish earlier on I had just bought a windshield cover to nurse more privately in my car. I did nurse in the car a lot.

There was a huge stink made earlier this year on the topic. The topic got attention, but ultimately I think most people are still grossed out by nursing in public or whatever. The issue was when an uneducated employee (uneducated on Target's store policy) tried to refuse a fitting room to a nursing mom and send her to the bathroom to nurse. She left the store instead. It's completely legal for us to NIP but socially I don't think it's super embraced.

I nursed five for over a year each - incl. one who required two months of instruction on how to nurse. (good thing I was experienced, or I would have given up.) - and another who  liked to just taste the end of the nipple, like a little gourmet. (he made me so sore . . . . ) I have to shove myself down his throat!  it was that or wean him at six weeks.

that said - I am sick of women being obvious about nursing in public. (my first experience with a woman nursing I was probably 10.  she was also an exhibitionist about nursing.  iow: she pulled her peasant neck shirt off her shoulder, and breast was completely bare - she would also do things to draw attention to herself while nursing.  my mother - who didn't nurse her own children - criticized me for using a cover when my jerk of a brother was visiting.)

find a quiet space, use a cover, lift a shirt from the bottom, etc.  the is dignity in being discrete.

I've a friend who had her newborn in a podagi and no one could tell she was nursing.

LOL I am not going to take responsibility for where your eyes stray when my body is performing its job.  Go be discreet if you like.  I don't care.  But you will do a disservice to mankind to tell people how THEIR child should be fed.  Not.your.business.

ETA:  I'll follow the dignity of the woman in the painting at the bottom of this post - http://graceless-wandering.blogspot.com/2010/06/oh-romeo-wherefore-art-thou.html

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 6

I'm in Estern Canada, I've never had a problem here.  I tend to be pretty discrete, bu I've never wanted or felt a need to use a cover.  There have been times with my kids I've avoided nursing in public, because it was impossible for me to be as private as a wanted - mostly when I was first learning to nurse with my eldest, and once they were older and became real acrobats, but by that point I didn't see any need to nurse on demand.

I do think it a variety of social mores are fine with regard for expectations for public breastfeeding, so long as they are in line with the biological requirements and practicalities, o within those parameters I would respect whatever the social norms were.

Oh, I guess I was completely undignified then, because 'discreet' never entered my mind. I was doing a job - keeping my baby alive or meeting the nutritional and emotional needs of my older baby/toddler/preschooler.

And I was damned if I was going to be exiled to a public toilet or kept at home in order to do so. 

If people have a problem with a flash of nipple or some bare boob as baby or toddler latches on, they are 1. looking way too hard and 2. they can get lost. 

I think she just means that if you're trying to not flash everyone and it happens, oh well, but it IS possible to try.  That's all.  Just some balance.  No one is asking you to give up your self-esteem, pride in your body, freedom, meeting your child's need to have a bare breast available 24/7, blah blah blah.  Indiscreet is not even bothering because your right to flash boob trumps everything else...and I'm sorry, it seems with some moms that THAT is even more important than actually feeding the kid.

It's funny how none of US died of smothering and our moms didn't have to be passive aggressive about the whole thing. Some were more free about it and some chose and were ABLE to be more discreet.  My mom loved nursing...I really did NOT like it even though I tried.  Neither of us had some moral upper hand.  There really is no end to the mom wars unless we can handle others' ideas about this stuff. 

• Like 2

As long as everyone respects the way others nurse, there is no "mommy war" about it. If you judge me about how I nurse, or I do you, there is. You might feel it is immodest to nurse without a cover, or only if lifting a shirt up, not lowering a neckline down. That's fine for YOU. However it doesn't mean anyone else NOT doing it that way is immodest. Just like an orthodox jew might feel modesty in public requires a shirt that goes from the neck to the elbows, or an an Amish woman may feel modesty requires a head covering and cape dress. They can think that all day long, but it doesn't mean I'm trying to be immodest wearing my tank top and shorts. We can all go about our lives comfortable with our own definitions of of modesty, as long as we don't impose that definition of modesty on others. 

• Like 10

I'm not sure if an inadvertent flash of breast is really what bothers many people - some do dislike breastfeeding that simply exposes the whole breast, in a Renaissance Madonna kind of way.

I don't have a problem with it, and it's the cultural norm in some places to breastfeed that way.  OTOH, I don't think it's a problem if the cultural norm in other places means covering more than that, so long as people aren't getting worked up when there is some more exposure just because that is sometimes how things happen..  It's kind of like in some places, bare shoulders is risquĂƒÂ©, and in others it isn't.  Just a cultural difference.

Do what is comfortable for you, whether that's covering up or baring it all.

I'm in Northern NJ, about 2 hours from Philly and I find it's pretty accepted around here. 

I nursed both my younger kids for almost two years each.  I couldn't cover because they both hated it and I was never coordinated enough to hold baby and keep a blanket positioned.  I gave up on that pretty quickly.    I'm pretty small busted even when nursing so discrete wasn't difficult.  I usually wore a camisole or tank top under a t-shirt or button-down shirt.    When it was time to nurse I would pull the tank/cami down from the top and the t-shirt or button down up from the bottom.  I was usually more concerned about keeping my blobby stomach covered than my boob.  :lol:

• Like 1

Breastfeeding, whether the whole breast is bared or not, is never risque. 

Maybe people should concentrate on the culture of not staring at breastfeeding women, and if a bared breast offends them, turning away.

There are valid reasons for baring the breast, to do with latch, with avoiding mastitis, that have nothing to do with so-called 'exhibitionism'.

then those bared breast mothers need to choose - the one I mentioned went out of her way to attract attention because she wanted people's eyes focused on her -in a large group.  (iow: she could have SHUT UP and let other people talk. she didn't.)

I haven't nursed in 16 years, and that was in the Bay Area, so I don't know about current trends anywhere, much less in Pittsburgh.

I just wanted to say that I have seen women nurse without a cover and and not realized they were nursing.  When I was nursing, I didn't cover and people would think the baby was just snuggled up asleep.  Honestly, I find uncovered nursing to be much more discreet.   With practice, I found it easy enough to quickly adjust my clothing so no unwanted skin was showing.  :-)

Of course mom should always do what's best for her and the baby.  (But I do understand wanting to know the customs in a new place.)

• Like 2

I nursed the last two (over 10 years ago) and I always covered them up part of the way because they preferred it (they'd try to pull my shirt over their eyes if I didn't ), plus it kept them from getting distracted and causing a mess. We were in Indiana and it was becoming much more common to see babies uncovered.  I don't even notice it now and I think if the majority of mom's were fighting babies/blankets I would.  It's in the news enough that I don't think most people will give you any trouble.

ETA: If they do give you trouble tell them "shhhh, the baby's trying to sleep".  :001_tt2:  Or a simple "go away".

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

I nursed all 5 of mine in public, wherever and whenever they were hungry! Only one would tolerate a cover. There was no way I was going to breastfeed my child in a hot car or bathroom.  This is one issue I'm passionate about.  If the laws are not conducive to breastfeeding in public, I would be working (and am) to change those.  How anyone can get worked up over a mother nursing her child is beyond me.

• Like 2

Nope. I've nursed five babies of varying fidgets and ages. With a singleton one does not need their entire breast, shoulder, and the other breast bared. Society involves contracts for social mores and meeting everyone halfway by nursing in a way that is a balance between effective and respectful of the sensitivities of the general population around you is completely reasonable.

I'm all for public nursing and making it work. But I think complete nudity is ridiculous and crosses the line into just trying to bug others with your 'right' and is frankly immature. But I also don't see a need to make my nursing into a public grandstand. It can be done without ridiculousness on my part and no impediment to latch either. That's silly.

If my hilarious huge breasts can manage to not flap in the breeze I think anyone can - I'm not even a particularly skilled nursing ninja :lol:

We can have discussions about whether people *should* be bothered by any level of non-sexual nudity at all, but the fact is in this country in this decade they are and that's the paradigm we are all trying to work with. Now if someone if going to be a turd about even slight skin or nipple I'll fight them all day, but there is a biiiig difference between the two extremes.

I'm not going to argue it further. I nurse in public and don't leave or use a cover, but I also manage to keep things fairly modest so I'm not drawing attention to myself or my baby. I'm good with that and fortunately that's the norm around here.

then those bared breast mothers need to choose - the one I mentioned went out of her way to attract attention because she wanted people's eyes focused on her -in a large group.  (iow: she could have SHUT UP and let other people talk. she didn't.)

So you're talking about a woman who was seeking attention, while the OP is talking about how to fit in well in her new city - clearly not seeking attention. 

I don't get your point.

• Like 1

If someone gets offended, you can always shout, "What the (bleep), Kevin!"

http://www.scarymommy.com/mom-yells-son-breastfeeding-mom-shame/

Please, please do not read it if the f-word offends you. It doesn't bother me, and I was dying laughing. As a momma who publicly and unapologetically breastfed babes who are now teens and young adults, I have to say that a) this whole covering/not covering/discrete discussion has been hashed and rehashed for as long as I've been a mom, and b ), I wish I'd had the guts to say "What the bleep!" to the rude folks I encountered.

• Like 12

Most of the moms I know around here, south central PA, breastfeed in public. A few use covers or a blanket. I don't. Nothing really shows anyway, except for occasional side skin under the breast, but usually my shirt covers it. I don't tend to wear button down shirts because they're just not my thing, and knitted shirts make it easy to be discreet without difficulty. I also generally have a sling or wrap on me anyway, so that covers belly/side skin. Nobody cares, or at least nobody has ever bothered to approach me, and I've been nursing continually for almost fifteen years (although by the end, they're really just nursing at bedtime and so not in public), in many, many places.

PA law protects your right to nurse wherever you and your baby have the legal right to be. Don't know about Pittsburgh, but around here, people love children -- I hope you find the same!

• Like 1

If you don't want to cover you DO NOT NEED TO....

This is 100% about YOUR COMFORT. If you're concerned about being more discreet we can probably give you tips. (My favorite was a button up shirt -- unbuttoned from the bottom up but with the top buttoned, layered OVER a nursing tank -- so really the only part 'out' was the part the kid needed access to :) or in-sling nursing) If you want to cover -- I will be happy to find suggestions for you. (I am way out of this ... it's been 9 years since I nursed!)  If you want to erect a nursing tent -- I'm going to swing the mallet for you. Because what matters is your nursing relationship with your baby. Which is really dependent on YOU being happy and comfortable.

• Like 2

I moved from Vancouver BC to metro NY between my third and fourth. I was worried, too, but never had trouble. I just lift shirt and usually have a bounced receiving blanket in the general area(but not covering the baby) oh, and I nursed my fourth until she was 2 1/2.

I have nursed a total of 7.5 years in the southwest US and have never had anyone say anything to me at all. Sometimes I use a blanket. Sometimes I don't. I am pretty good at keeping everything covered.

That being said, I do think there are some moms that want to draw attention to it. A friend of mine posted on IG a picture of her nursing (somewhat exposed) with a caption that said something about her daring anyone to say anything. Maybe she has had people criticize her before. I don't know. But it just seemed silly. Nobody cares. Nurse your baby. Be confident. Don't apologize. Don't ask permission. Just do it and don't make a big deal out it. Slowly, but surely attitudes about NIP will change as others realize it's not a big deal.

• Like 3

I've nursed 3 kids in various parts of Florida with no issue, ever. Never even a dirty look. One time, in a Mcdonalds, a man walked up and said, "Do you know where you are?" and I thought he was going to give me crap about nursing there. Turns out, he just needed directions to the highway, lol!

LOL.....hilarious!

• Like 1

Please, please do not read it if the f-word offends you. It doesn't bother me, and I was dying laughing. As a momma who publicly and unapologetically breastfed babes who are now teens and young adults, I have to say that a) this whole covering/not covering/discrete discussion has been hashed and rehashed for as long as I've been a mom, and b ), I wish I'd had the guts to say "What the bleep!" to the rude folks I encountered.

Ok, well the F word does offend me, but I am a sucker for a clickable link and it was hilarious. Honestly it would have been just as funny without the F word. But still...hilarious. Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

I live in the pacific northwest, and nursed both of my boys in public and didn't really have any issues.  I never covered because neither liked it and it was a huge hassle.  My FIL was not comfortable being around me when I was nursing so he would leave the room, but he never said a word to me about it or made me feel uncomfortable.  I did get a few looks when I was extended breastfeeding, it seems once they are past infant stage people think you should stop.  It wasn't a problem with my older boy because he stopped wanting to nurse when there were other things to do, but my youngest needed the comfort and due to food allergies breast milk was a big source of his nutrition until he was about 2, and he continued to nurse including in public until he was 3.

• Like 1

I never used a cover. By the time the baby was a few months old, there was seldom anything to see but baby head and clothes. And then I got the hang of nursing in the sling and in the asian-style baby carrier, and people in places like my small hometown in Texas thought she was sleeping unless they got up in our business. I nursed her in the grocery store and no one noticed. On the bus and no one noticed, etc. etc.

You should be fine. The only way to change other peoples' attitudes is to start with your own.

I live in a very very very conservative area. My poor SIL was told in no uncertain terms she could not breast feed at her place of work unless she went inside a bathroom stall, not even the larger part of the bathroom. I NEVER see a woman breast feed without covering up and rarely see anyone breast feed in public even with a cover. My neighbor was the president of our homeowners association. We frequently had meetings of the leadership at her house. She would discreetly feed under a cover IN HER OWN HOME and three of the five of us hated it and found her actions shocking. It was... uh..."frustrating" is the word I will go with but frankly i think many of us feel more strongly than that.

Attitudes won't change until people are willing to break new ground. I realize in moving to a new area you are trying to respect the societal norms there. Hopefully they are very open to breast feeding in public and this will be a non issue. If not, and you don't want to blaze a new trail all by your lonesome, maybe ease into public breast feeding without a cover while you give people a chance to get to know you. Just don't do so at the expense of the health and well being of your children and keep in mind that maybe others would appreciate you helping them open up their local community to a new way of viewing breast feeding.

Good luck and best wishes.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

If you don't want to cover you DO NOT NEED TO....

This is 100% about YOUR COMFORT. If you're concerned about being more discreet we can probably give you tips. (My favorite was a button up shirt -- unbuttoned from the bottom up but with the top buttoned, layered OVER a nursing tank -- so really the only part 'out' was the part the kid needed access to :) or in-sling nursing) If you want to cover -- I will be happy to find suggestions for you. (I am way out of this ... it's been 9 years since I nursed!) If you want to erect a nursing tent -- I'm going to swing the mallet for you. Because what matters is your nursing relationship with your baby. Which is really dependent on YOU being happy and comfortable.

Oh now I want a nursing tent :D

That's the funniest thing I've read in a week!

• Like 1

On the flip side, 12-13 years ago, in Yellow Springs, Ohio (super hippie, crunchy area just outside an AF base which in itself is odd) my friend was very taken back when someone said something to her as she feed one of her babies a BOTTLE! Something like "You know breastfeeding really is best for them." And walked off. Since she was a nurse, and actually did nurse them, but day weaned since she worked, she was a bit surprised.

I nursed three into their toddler years in and around Pittsburgh. Never had a nursing tent cover thing, but I did wear shirts with nursing flaps, but that was more to hide my tummy than the feeding.

Feel free to pm me with any questions! It's been a while since my baby days, but I've lived here for my entire life and can point you to some good resources if you'd like.

For just over a year now, the most common comment I get is along the line of: "Oh my god, you're breastfeeding?? I couldn't tell! I'll leave you alone!" And after a couple of months I started doing it everywhere whenever. No cover, but mostly shirts lifted. I guess people can't tell? Small boobs for the win?

Also, just going to drop this right here for you guys (no nudity/language): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-2z-Cd3luqA

• Like 1

I nurse under a cover in public. I really don't care much how others nurse but I prefer when they at least attempt to be somewhat discrete. My 13yo gets so uncomfortable around undiscrete nursing. I do it all the time at home and that doesn't bother him but it does when it's others.

My sister on the other hand once got told at a swimming pool that she couldn't nurse there. She was wearing a bikini and was not covering at all. When she exploded at the young employee he just calmly told her that "there are no food or beverages allowed on the pool deck." :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I nurse under a cover in public. I really don't care much how others nurse but I prefer when they at least attempt to be somewhat discrete. My 13yo gets so uncomfortable around undiscrete nursing. I do it all the time at home and that doesn't bother him but it does when it's others.

My sister on the other hand once got told at a swimming pool that she couldn't nurse there. She was wearing a bikini and was not covering at all. When she exploded at the young employee he just calmly told her that "there are no food or beverages allowed on the pool deck." :rolleyes:

Lol!

• Like 2

At least he was consistent! If there was an alternate area where everyone else was eating I'd say that's a pretty fair interpretation, actually :lol: