Menu

One bowl or two (kitchen sink)

LifeLovePassion

I wish I had one bowl. Two bowls makes it hard to wash large pots, trays, etc. We tend not to soak dishes, store them in the sink before washing, or wash many dishes by hand. So, for us the sink is used mainly to wash what we can't fit in the dishwasher Which tends to be the large items.

• Like 4

I would love to have a single sink. I hate not being able to actually put my large pots and pans in the sink; I can only get part of the item in the sink at a time and have to constantly turn it around to get it under water.

Hope you find what will work for you.

• Like 1

I have two sinks and I really like that, I would not be happy with one sink.

My sink is really large with one side offset so it's extra deep. I can easily fit a 9x13 pan in the large side with room to spare. Plus it's extra deep and I love that.

My sink is like this.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Franke-USA-32-in-x-18-5-in-Radiant-Silk-Double-Basin-Stainless-Steel-Undermount-Kitchen-Sink/1058567

• Like 3

Hmm, well how big will the 60/40 be?  I have a Franke d-shaped single bowl that I REALLY like.  You didn't mention depth, and remember it's going to go deeper when you do undermount.  My d-shaped is about 7" deep (not including counters), and that is a really nice depth for me with my length of arms.  It's about 20" wide.  At that size I can wash my largest cutting board, whatever.  I hand wash just cutting boards, knives.  Everything else goes in the DW.  

I have a much larger, much deeper single bowl for a clean-up area.  We use it to capture all the dishes from a party, clean turkeys, hold ice for drinks for a party, wash big pots, that kind of thing.  On that sink I put a very high faucet with a pull-down sprayer.  My smaller D sink is on my island and it has a lower faucet with a pullout sprayer built into the faucet.  I much prefer pull out or pull down to separate sprayer.

In my basement I have a single bowl that kind of merges those two.  It was fine.  It's a little bit too shallow and a little bit too big, so you feel like you're always cleaning it and that it's never quite big enough, even though it takes up more space than my D shaped.

So to me the depth of the D-shaped is what, combined with just enough width for the boards, makes it so nice.  I'm really picky about clean sinks, and my D shaped is just small enough that it cleans really fast when I have raw meat in it or something.

I would not chose a 60/40 if the smaller size is too small to be functional.  Do you need a disposal?  If I'm thawing something, I just use a bowl on the counter, mercy.  I would want a use for that 40, and I can't think what it would be.  In my D-shaped, I can hand wash anything I need to.  But it's not my ONLY sink.  If you're only going to have one sink, you'll want it to be a bigger bowl, which will make it take more time to clean.  People I know with one really large bowl like that end up putting a dish tub in it, which I don't think is attractive.

Measure your things.  Spend a lot of time thinking about depth, because to me that is what makes the sink magic.  Think how the faucet height, paired with the depth of the sink, will make it more functional. If you use a disposal and are going to prep on the 40 side, a 60/40 could be good, so long as the 60 can hold your biggest board or baking sheet.  It doesn't even have to lie flat but just have enough width to stand it while you wash it off.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I have a double sink, and they are equal size.  I love them.  It seems I always have multiple jobs going on.  I can use one of them for soaking dishes, scrubbing a cookie sheet, soaking a piece of laundry, soaking vegetables, peeling potatoes and carrots, or whatever, while the other is free to use to wash hands, fill up the water pitcher, rinse a paint brush, etc.  It drives me nuts to have only one sink!

• Like 6

Oh, something I didn't disclose.  My cabs and counters are deeper than normal.  That's why the D-shaped fits.  If you have the option and space, you can pull the cabs out from the walls two inches, put in trim to cover, and make your counters deeper.  You'll LOVE it.  It's a trick I found in Kitchen Design with Cooking in Mind.  Not original to me.  :)

• Like 1

I have a double sink, and they are equal size.  I love them.  It seems I always have multiple jobs going on.  I can use one of them for soaking dishes, scrubbing a cookie sheet, soaking a piece of laundry, soaking vegetables, peeling potatoes and carrots, or whatever, while the other is free to use to wash hands, fill up the water pitcher, rinse a paint brush, etc.  It drives me nuts to have only one sink!

This is us too.  I absolutely despise places with a single sink and it would be a deal breaker if I were buying somewhere without the funds to change it.  Even when we rent while traveling, it can be a deal breaker pending how long we are staying there.

We do way too many things in our sink.  Right now I have one side of ours filled with washed veggies that are drying prior to putting them in the fridge and the other side free to be used as a sink if someone needs to wash something or get water, etc.  Other times I might have other stuff soaking, blanched veggies cooling, or oodles of other things.  Even if we're washing dishes by hand, I want one side to wash in and the other to rinse.

I'm actually finding myself surprised that so many like a single sink.  I'd have never guessed!

• Like 10

I have the granite decided on. (Black leathered/satin textured granite). Should I put in a single bowl sink? Or a 60/40 split double bowl?

My primary criteria for a double sink, whether both bowls are the same size or one is smaller, is that the garbage disposal goes on the side that the dishwasher is on, so a 60/40 split must have the smaller sink on the right side. For a single large sink, I want the drain opening also to the right side and not in the middle.

One of my friends loves her big ol' single sink. :-)

I prefer a double.  That way people can stash things in one basin but the other one can be kept empty so we can actually use it.

I can only think of one or two items that I wash that don't fit in one basin of my sink.

• Like 1

I personally love having my large, deep single sink.  Part of the issue, for me, is that I have a small galley kitchen, so counterspace is at a premium.  I hated the tiny double sinks that were in our house when we moved in -- it is so difficult to wash or soak larger items, and they were so shallow -- they drove me crazy.  When we remodeled, we put in a nice big single sink and I love it.  That said, if I had a bigger kitchen, and could afford to give up some counter space, I might either get two separate sinks (I'd love to have a kitchen with an island and a sink on the island) or a super duper large double sink where the larger one was at least as big and deep as my single, if possible.  My current sink is about 21 inches in width.  That's my personal minimum.  But everyone seems to have different opinions on this!

• Like 1

One. And not extra deep. I had an extra deep one and it gave me such backaches to work at it. I always have s pot or something that needs washing that I can use for the "second bowl" if I want one.

One works for me just fine. It's large and deep and holds a long pan or my 13" cast iron skillet easily.

My old kitchen had two sinks. One was regular size, and I can't remember how deep it was or whether it was shallower than the other side or not, but the other side was wider and plenty deep. I could put a big skillet in that side easily. I only used that sink for two years, and I only had two children then, so I wasn't washing lots of huge dishes, so I don't know if that would serve me well now or not. Basically, I think I'd be fine with one or two sinks, as long as one was plenty big and deep.

• Like 1

I used to have a single sink.  I now have a 50/50 deep double D shaped sink.  I can wash my pots and put other stuff on the other side.  I would have a hard time going back now.  I MUCH prefer this set up.  I don't know how I would feel about a 60/40.  It would depend on the depth and width of the sink sides but I don't know that I would like that configuration.  Maybe.  I definitely love having the two sides, though.

• Like 1

When we remodeled our kitchen I did contemplate a large single bowl sink.  However, I pictured having to use a dishpan often to have dishwater available when cooking but also having someplace to dump that cup of coffee or pasta water at the same time.  I found a double bowl sink with a lower divide in the middle.  I can't remember what it is called anymore.

I am not sure I would choose it again, as I can't fill it very full because of the center divide.

This is my sink (sorry, it's dirty and I was in the middle of doing dishes.) You can see on the left side a cake keeper thing that is huge, on the right is a full sized muffin pan. I do wish the big side was on the side with the disposal.  That way I could wash in the big side, and rinse in the small side. 

sink_zps7qq3v0qd.jpg

• Like 2

I love the two bowl sink.  We do a lot of blanching of veggies from our garden for freezing.  

I put batch #1 of blanched veggies in sink #1 filled with ice cold water.  Then I begin blanching batch #2 of veggies. At the halfway point of blanching batch #2, I transfer batch #1 to a colander in sink #2 to drain, leaving sink #1 to receive batch #2. While blanching batch #3 of veggies, I transfer batch #1 veggies from sink #2 to my salad spinner to get out the last of the water and prep for vacuum sealing. I then also transfer the cooled batch #2 veggies in sink #1 into the colander in sink #2, leaving sink #1 ready to receive batch #3.  I just keep rotating like this.  

When you only have 2 to 3 minutes blanching times, having this dual sink method really keeps things flowing in a rhythm and the mess minimal....if that makes any sense at all...lol...try typing it!

• Like 1

We have a 50/50 double sink and I will never, ever again own one.  Can't stand it.  I can't soak a 9x13 pan in either side, which is a real stinker.  I would much prefer a large single sink (like we used to have.)  

In that case, I'd agree. I can soak a 9/13 pan on either side of my split sink, so I prefer split. But if space was at a premium, I'd need at least one area that could fit such a pan. If that means a single sink, so be it. 

• Like 2

I have a double. One side is super wide and deep. The other side with the garbage disposal is shallow and narrow. I like having a double so I can rinse things on one side and have a sink of soapy water in the other. But, I haaaaaaate the shallowness/narrowness of that one side. Everything splatters and it's hard to rinse out big bowls or pots and pans on that side. I have a pull out sprayer and I'm constantly soaking the counter on that side while I try to spray something out. And whoever installed the sink left enough of a margin for a bead of caulking between the sink collar and backsplash and nothing else. It's a nightmare to keep clean and recaulk.

Edited by Forget-me-not

I have the style that is larger and extra deep on one side and normal on the other. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I can put my skillet or large crock pot bowl completely flat on the deep side, so there really isn't an issue with it being big enough to soak things.

And while that is soaking I can still use the other side.

Edited by Tap

This is my sink (sorry, it's dirty and I was in the middle of doing dishes.) You can see on the left side a cake keeper thing that is huge, on the right is a full sized muffin pan. I do wish the big side was on the side with the disposal. That way I could wash in the big side, and rinse in the small side.

sink_zps7qq3v0qd.jpg

This would be the 60/40 one they offer. Large and pretty deep on one side, smaller and shallower on the other. Who knew it could be so controversial!

I want the best of both worlds!

I'd like to have a double sink for most kitchen tasks.

I'd like to also have a farm style sink for those occasional bigger tasks.

LOL I need a bigger kitchen!

OP, I have to vote double sink here, too. I love a big single sink but for every day functionality, the double wins. I have had both in the past.

• Like 1

I love, love my single big sink. I can make it do double duty if I want to by putting a plastic dishpan in it to one side, but I can also put my big cookie sheets or large roasting pan into the sink to soak. If I had it to do over, I'd still choose a large single basin sink.

• Like 1

I struggle with this. Oftentimes I think I want a big single sink but SO frequently I find myself thawing meat on one side with dishes waiting for the next open dishwasher load in the other. You can get around this by using a Rubbermaid dish bin but I think a very small side of a sink with a disposal and a main section is probably the best of both worlds.

I'm up against this decision with our next home (replacing a pumpkin orange monstrosity from 1978) and keep going back and forth on a nice farmhouse sink or a more modern stainless steel split.

I have a 50/50 double and hate it. I caught my garbage disposal on fire (hate that thing too) and my dishwasher is broken, so right now I'm using half a sink for everything, including all the dishwashing.

New kitchen is getting a big honkin' single sink with NO disposal.

I used to love my double sink and was afraid of the single, but I didn't have many options when we remodeled. So we went with a large, deep single. I will never willingly go back to double.

I'm surprised that so many people use the sink to directly soak things, especially food. I never did this, even with my double. Food of any kind goes into a bowl or pot to soak. And my single sink is easier and faster to clean than my doubles were.

• Like 1

I have a 50/50 double and hate it. I caught my garbage disposal on fire (hate that thing too) and my dishwasher is broken, so right now I'm using half a sink for everything, including all the dishwashing.

New kitchen is getting a big honkin' single sink with NO disposal.

I replaced my cruddy builder basic disposal that was ancient with a new, top of the line model. It never clogs, is nice and quiet, and I've never caught it on fire ;). Well worth the slightly higher cost for bett performance.

I absolutely despise double sinks of any size and if I were to end up in a house (we move frequently), dh knows that is one of the first things I will change, and if finances couldn't take it, I wouldn't buy the house. 

I've already changed sinks in 6 homes. 

The thing people say about doubles, how you can work/prepare food in one while cleaning or whatever in the other, I personally always found gross!

• Like 1

I replaced my cruddy builder basic disposal that was ancient with a new, top of the line model. It never clogs, is nice and quiet, and I've never caught it on fire ;). Well worth the slightly higher cost for bett performance.

Yes, we replaced our garbage disposal a couple years ago and the new one is super powerful and quiet.

I have very strong opinions about my kitchen sink, and it looks like the rest of you do, too!

I now have a very large single bowl sink. When I had double bowl sinks in my other homes, I only ever used the side with the disposal. I hate -- HATE, I tell you -- picking bits of food out of the strainer in the side of the sink that doesn't have a disposal. So I would never use that side for any food preparation or dish washing. That side of the sink was wasted for me. Having a single bowl sink was really important to me when I got to make that decision for this house.

I don't store dirty dishes in the sink, and when I wash, I don't fill the sink with water. I always have a pot or mixing bowl to wash, so I just use it as a makeshift dish pan.

The only thing I don't like as well about it is that I don't have an easy place to put my wet dish cloth. I used to hang it over the hump between the sink bowls. Otherwise, I :wub:  it.

• Like 2

I love my double sink, but it's more like 70/30.  The smaller side has the garbage disposal.  I use the small side for my hot, soapy water, and the big side for rinsing or for washing large pots.  I like that I don't have to use much water (we live in a very dry place, and conserving water is a natural part of life for us).  I'm glad I don't have a single bowl sink because I'd have to use a separate dish pan.  I always load the dishwasher with dishes, then rinse my pans and run the little bits down the garbage disposer, then use a soapy washcloth to clean the sink before I ever fill my little sink with fresh, hot, soapy water to wash the (rinsed) pots and pans.  If I'm washing a large pot or bowl, I just add a little soap and run hot water in it while it's sitting in the big sink.  

I guess it just really depends on how YOU do dishes.  No one can make this decision for you.  It's so personal!  

We have a double with no waste disposal. The big side has a plastic bowl and a colander in it, and gets dirty. The small side is for rinsing veg, etc and stays clean. We like it a lot. It's the Ikea Boholmen set.

Edited by Laura Corin

I want the best of both worlds!

I'd like to have a double sink for most kitchen tasks.

I'd like to also have a farm style sink for those occasional bigger tasks.

LOL I need a bigger kitchen!

OP, I have to vote double sink here, too. I love a big single sink but for every day functionality, the double wins. I have had both in the past.

We have a double, deep sink with a low divider that I consider the best of all possible worlds. We use it as a split sink for different tasks 85% of the time, but when I have something large to wash, no problem. I love it!

I have an even set of double bowls, which I dislike because I cannot soak larger things as others have mentioned. 

I spend a good bit of time helping at someone else's home where there is one large sink. I don't like that, either, because you have to use so much water to get the water level up high enough to cover pans, etc. I don't like rinsing in the sink I'm washing in since it dilutes the soap. 

In our kitchen renovation, I am hoping to get a double with a large washing side. The rinsing side can be smaller.