Menu

s/o velveeta

marbel

The mayo/miracle whip comments on the macaroni salad thread inspired this.

I made some chili con queso (basically salsa and cheese) a few weeks ago.  I know a lot of people dislike Velveeta and its knockoffs, so I used real cheese.  It was fine, but didn't really get the good texture I wanted. I know to make cheese sauce but it still separated a bit.  My husband is now craving the "real thing" made with Velveeta.  I haven't bought Velveeta in years.

So, what do you think about Velveeta?

This is not a JAWM.  I generally don't like threads in which someone says "I like x food item" and then someone comes after them saying "yuck! that is garbage!" but for this thread, since I am asking a direct question, feel free to express yourself.  Just don't fight, please.  :-)   Velveeta is not worth fighting over.  :-)

ETA:  I know some people will scoff at the notion that chile con queso made with Velveeta as "the real thing" but just go with it.   That's "the real thing" to him, not having had it any other way till I messed with it. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

I say "buy the Velveeta!" I'm guessing you aren't eating it every night. I've never gotten the right consistency with real cheese for these yummy junk food recipes.

I once found a recipe for homemade Velveeta cheese. One of the ingredients was real cheese :thumbup: Make it yourself, and you can claim real cheese.

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Like 5

Nothing else makes that dip texture!

I don't buy it normally, but Velveeta for Super Bowl queso or American cheese for good, gooey burgers? Just happens sometimes. This goes in the "most of the time I cook from scratch and I won't think about a few meals of crap" category.

• Like 11

My vote is buy it.  If you like it...buy it.  It's not poisonous and I'm guessing you aren't eating this every day. 

I am no food purist.  My guilty pleasure is that boxed ranch pasta salad stuff (although I wish it was less salty).  I have tried to make my own, but I can't seem to get it how I want it.  So I just buy it. 

• Like 8

My vote is buy it.  If you like it...buy it.  It's not poisonous and I'm guessing you aren't eating this every day. 

I am no food purist.  My guilty pleasure is that boxed ranch pasta salad stuff (although I wish it was less salty).  I have tried to make my own, but I can't seem to get it how I want it.  So I just buy it. 

Love that stuff :drool5:

• Like 2

Did you just add the meltedcheese in or did you make a cheese sauce first? It's the vegetable oil and emulsifiers in the velveeta that gives the texture. A roux plus liquid to make a white sauce with the cheese then melted in it should get close. Maybe you can use this to start? http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/chorizo-queso-dip-recipe/

I can't vouch for the recipe. My "queso" is made of carrots, potatoes, and cashews. :)

• Like 2

My DH grew up on the stuff and I didn't.  We used to have it around for the first year or so we were married then I converted him over to real cheese.  I prefer real cheese in almost everything, but Velveeta (or as I call it plastic cheese) does give a nice texture to some things like dips.  I bought some a few months ago to make an extra gooey, very unhealthy mac and cheese.  It was very good, but it is something we would only do very rarely.

• Like 2

Putting just an ounce or two of American "cheese" into mac and cheese or anything that involves a cheese sauce will get you much closer to the texture and is a compromise I'm willing to make to get the texture occasionally. All Velveeta is just yucky tasting to me. But having a little in there with more real cheese can be good.

• Like 2

I will admit, nothing melts like Velveeta. I make my own cheese sauce from real cheese and it is smooth and delicious. But the additives in Velveeta give it that chemical taste that tastes like childhood. So buy it once in awhile and enjoy it.

• Like 5

I'm not supposed to be eating any dairy, Velveeta or otherwise, but I DO like the melting properties of Velveeta waaaaay better than other "real" cheeses. To me, a grilled cheese sandwich is Velveeta on white bread. Queso is made with Velveeta. Mac and cheese for my kids is made with Velveeta, too.

I have gotten a lot more food-snobby in adulthood, and there were lots of things I ate growing up that I snub now. But I still buy Velveeta for those foods I just mentioned. And when I cheat and have a grilled cheese, I am totally not sorry.

• Like 3

I will admit, nothing melts like Velveeta. I make my own cheese sauce from real cheese and it is smooth and delicious. But the additives in Velveeta give it that chemical taste that tastes like childhood. So buy it once in awhile and enjoy it.

Best line ever! Positively brilliant!

• Like 2

Sodium citrate. It makes the proteins in cheese more soluble so you can get velveeta-style melting out of real cheese.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/melty-queso-dip/

This was what I was going to mention (although it was going to take me a while to think of the name, sitting here by the pool, thanks Danae)

Surely no one in any house I can think of would object to a long series of side-by-side taste tests? As long as you have enough corn chips.

I buy Velveeta on occasion for this, usually when they are pushing it at Super Bowl time. In fact, that is how I know that it is time for the Super Bowl - it starts to seem like a good idea to buy Velveeta.

• Like 1

I've used it before and I'll use it again.  It's not a weekly (or even monthly) staple here, but it has a job & does it when needed.

On a related note:

My MIL buys nacho cheese by the (huge) tub, from Sam's or Costco or something.  I don't know how she manages to consume it all -- I can't even think of that many recipes that gobs of nacho cheese would work for...

• Like 1

We buy the giant tubs of nacho cheese.  Then freeze small servings in plastic glasses like you might serve in a cocktail in.  Then serve to DD with vegetables.  It isn't poisoness and it leads to vegetable consumption.  Woohoo.   The giant tub is ridiculously cheap, like $7.  So, even when we open it and forget to freeze some and toss a big chunk of it, that is A-OK.  

Aldi has a slightly improved Velveeta.  It is the only off-brand of Velveeta I can eat.   

I like velveeta, and I like blocks of cheese.  I really really like cheese.    But, what I don't understand is plastic wrapped cheese slices.  THAT is what tastes plastic to me.  Velveeta just tastes like very melty cheese.   

• Like 1

My SIL always says, "My DH just loves MY macaroni and cheese." One time I asked her for the recipe, expecting different kinds of cheeses, interesting spices (I don't know why I expected this. She really only likes white foods. But my brother is a chef, so he's makes some awesome, creative macaroni and cheese dishes.) She said, "I boil spaghetti noodles and ONLY use Velveeta." Huh. Okay, then. 😜

That being said, it is perfect fit those delicious junk food dishes!

☎ Sent from my rotary phone ☎

• Like 2

On vacation in the Southwest we ate a restaurant that recently earned their SECOND James Beard award. One of my very, very favorites ever.

I bought their cookbook as a memento, and recently looked up their queso recipe. Yup. It has Velveeta. They make light of it, but note that there's nothing like it for queso.

Now I have an excuse!

I also use it in American-style mac-and-cheese, although of late we prefer Bahamian mac-and-cheese which uses real cheese, eggs, and evaporated milk.

• Like 1

I don't ever buy it, and I rarely eat it, but every once in a while at a family function, someone makes Ro-tel dip, which is 1 lb velveeta to 1 can rotel. It is certainly yummy, and when I do eat it, I try not to think about what's in it.

There was a time some years back that I made a dip that called for a can of rotel, a can of chili (hormel I believe which is a whole 'nuther story), and a pound of velveeta. You then toasted little French toast circles to dip in it. It was quite yummy.

Now my go-to dip (still not healthy but at least "real" food) is a pound of ground sausage (I use one I buy from our farmer's market, but the recipe calls for Jimmy Dean), 1 can rotel (can use mild or regular) and 1 block cream cheese (I get the lower fat Neufchâtel). Brown the sausage, add the other goodies and heat on Low (or in crock pot) til all is blended together. Super yummy and also makes an awesome stuffing for poblano peppers (when I use it for that I do drain the liquid from the rotel).

• Like 2

I grew up in a house of serious cooks. But, my mom would ever so rarely make a Mexican cheese soup with it. We laugh about it now, and then follow up with a straight "yeah, it was good though..." 

We don't need everything to be authentic.  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 3

Sodium citrate. It makes the proteins in cheese more soluble so you can get velveeta-style melting out of real cheese.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/melty-queso-dip/

I am going to look for this!   . 

Why do so many people call it "plastic cheese?"   (I don't mean just here, but in general)  It does have some unfamiliar ingredients but I looked them up and didn't see anything scary (unless I was looking in the wrong places).

I am so in the mood for Rotel dip now!

:-)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

Nope, Velveeta will never cross my door stop.  I make cheese stuff all the time, but I use real cheese.  If you use a mix of cheeses and make a roux, you can get a beautiful creamy sauce.  Monterey Jack is a good creamy melter to mix in.  100% cheddar isn't great, but is a good mixer for flavor.

• Like 1

Ive never had velveeta or that cheeze in plastic wrap. I always thought they were the same thing, only the velveeta is uncut.  I thought that was what all "American Cheese" is. I've eaten a LOT of homemade mac and cheese (my mom's specialty) but she makes it with a cheddar white sauce

But if he really wants it and you don't have a problem with it, then what is the problem?  Once a year I make a Christmas dessert that calls for kool-whip. It's once a year, no one has dropped dead yet.

If you want a dip type thing but want to avoid the fake cheeze, then you do it with a simple white sauce and then stirring in lots of grated cheese to make a cheese sauce. Frankly that is so easy I could do it when I was 10 years old. That was a job of mine for thanksgiving. I made broccoli with cheese sauce. You could even make it very thick so that it is like a dip.. Yes, it's going to firm up a bit as it gets cold...but surely the same must be true for the chemical stuff...right? If it stays liquid at room temp, then I can't help you lol. A cheese sauce can be reheated easily. 

• Like 1

LOL this is meant to be a lighthearted thread.  I'm not suffering any angst.  I was just curious because some foods, like Velveeta and Miracle Whip, seem to get a reaction from people.  :-)   I  know how to make cheese sauce; I make it frequently for mac and cheese.  It still did not "work" right when I made queso dip; I don't know why -  maybe the jalapenos reacted with the cheese and made it go wonky.  I'm kidding about that.  :-)    

This has been a fun thread for me to read. 

• Like 1

I'm far from a food purist or snob. But I think being generous I'd estimate that I've purchased Velveeta maybe five times in my life. So obviously it's not something we consume (knowingly) very often. But . . . when you need it you need it and it certainly works well.

• Like 1

Why do so many people call it "plastic cheese?"   (I don't mean just here, but in general)  It does have some unfamiliar ingredients but I looked them up and didn't see anything scary (unless I was looking in the wrong places).

Texture and lack of distinct flavor and character. It just has this completely artificial fake vibe. Like plastic.

ETA: In fact, most supermarket cheeses lack actual flavor and are somewhat plasticky.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I was just curious because some foods, like Velveeta and Miracle Whip, seem to get a reaction from people.  :-)  

For me, the reaction is a headache.  The headache is caused by a neurotoxin found in whey protein concentrate: right-handed glutamic acid.  That is why you won't find Velveeta in this house.

What's unfortunate is that Velveeta originally WAS cheese "glue" and was actually cheese, but is cheese no longer.  Here is an interesting history of the product.  An excerpt:

What is Velveeta made of?

While Velveeta used to be made of real cheese, today, Velveeta cheese is made with whey protein concentrate and milk protein – meaning that it is not technically cheese.

The FDA noticed this in 2002, when it sent Kraft a warning letter asking the company  to take “cheese spread†off its packaging and replace it with something a bit closer to the truth. While there are elements of real cheese in Velveeta – like, you know, milk – to call it actual cheese is a bit of a stretch. Which is why it is now labeled as a “Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product.†Say that five times fast.

• Like 2

For me, the reaction is a headache.  The headache is caused by a neurotoxin found in whey protein concentrate: right-handed glutamic acid.  That is why you won't find Velveeta in this house.

What's unfortunate is that Velveeta originally WAS cheese "glue" and was actually cheese, but is cheese no longer.  Here is an interesting history of the product.  An excerpt:

Well that is a good reason to avoid! 

It is a strange product, to be sure.

My SIL always says, "My DH just loves MY macaroni and cheese." One time I asked her for the recipe, expecting different kinds of cheeses, interesting spices (I don't know why I expected this. She really only likes white foods. But my brother is a chef, so he's makes some awesome, creative macaroni and cheese dishes.) She said, "I boil spaghetti noodles and ONLY use Velveeta." Huh. Okay, then. 😜

That being said, it is perfect fit those delicious junk food dishes!

☎ Sent from my rotary phone ☎

I tried it on mac and cheese.  I thought it was awful!  It had very little flavor. 

I usually use sharp cheddar in my mac and cheese so maybe that's just too different in terms of the flavor.

• Like 2

I use Muenster for stuff that requires a Velveeta-like texture. It melts very nicely and smoothly.

If you are a cheddar fan, I have found that Cabot's Adirondack Reserve melts much better than most cheddars. It makes the most amazing, tasty grilled cheese sandwiches (try it on pumpernickel), and when I put it with some Muenster I get a lovely, creamy macaroni and cheese. 

• Like 2