Menu

s/o- What are some of the less intimidating team mascots you've heard of?

Amira

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pomona College has the Sagehens.

I am partial to the University of California-Santa Cruz Banana Slugs

And it's not just any run-of-the-mill banana slug, either! He's got a banner that reads "Fiat Slug" and is reading Plato.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 5

Hey! We ducks are tough! You wouldn't like me when I'm angry...

;)

Isn't there a team call the corn huskers?

White Sox and Red Sox are funny when you think about it. We're just accustomed to hosiery being a team name.

Also, are there other teams besides the Cubs named for cute *baby* animals?

Eta: I love the tree!

We're Cornhuskers, not a very intimidating mascot. 😂
  • Like 3

Well, I've heard of Trojan for an elementary school team, which seems a bit off to me, but whatever.  (I know it's a reference to the Trojan war, but I think culturally the name has been reassigned.)

Let's see, any team that's a color - Reds, white sox, etc.

Buckeyes, Browns, Steelers, Packers, Oilers, Huskers, ....

DH's high school was the Trojans. He commented that they could have used corporate sponsorship from the company with the same name, since the campus also housed the district program for pregnant/parenting teens!

• Like 4

My bil went to Williams. They are the Purple Cows!

My best friend went to Amherst. They used to be the Lord Jeffs.

We have a school near that that call themselves the - Blue Hoses.

Our minor league team is the fireflies- watch out! They will swarm and put a light in your face- oh, wait- you can see the ball better now?

Edited by Jan in SC
  • Like 3

Well, I've heard of Trojan for an elementary school team, which seems a bit off to me, but whatever. (I know it's a reference to the Trojan war, but I think culturally the name has been reassigned.)

My elementary school was the Trojans. In fact, I'm sitting here wearing my 4th grade basketball shirt right now, although it just has the school name and not "Trojans" on it.

My college marching band was called the Showboat Gamblers until my senior year, when they made them change it. It was silly to change the name to something "more appropriate" when we were mostly hungover or still drunk during the parades and game days.

• Like 4

My Grandpa was a Benson Bunny.  I went to Cornhusker university as well.  The actual mascot (as in person in a suit) is a farmer guy called Herbie Husker.  My elementary school was the Wizards, but I don't think anyone expects an elementary school to have an intimidating mascot.

• Like 1

Wake Forest's Demon Deacon, Univ of Maryland's Testudo the Terrapin, Mary Baldwin's Gladys the Fighting Squirrel

Oh my word!  Fighting Squirrel?!

I have loved reading this thread.  Thank you for the giggles.

About that Demon Deacons:  The discussion of mascot names drove me to look up that one earlier.  Apparently Wake Forest's teams were initially the Tigers.  The Demon Deacon term was coined in an article and the fans at this Baptist school liked it.

• Like 2

Our local high school is the Trojans. Dh's high school was the Chicks. We lived somewhere where the high school was the Brickies (bricklayers). Dd's Little League team is just a color, but the kids voted on dolphins as their favorite animal, so they are the Green Dolphins.

ETA: I was a comet in high school and our mascot was a big yellow ball with flames coming off, like it was a comet in the sky. However, we were actually named after a train that was called the Blue Comet.

Edited by T'smom

The browns lol. Insert cleveland joke.

They have a cute, but large dog. Not, incidentally, named Brown. Like all things cleve, it doesnt completely make sense. Ohhh got that cleve jab in afterall.

The Cleveland Browns are named after Paul Brown, a legend in the football world. I wouldn't make fun of the name anywhere near Ohio!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Brown

• Like 1

So, has anyone else heard of "surfing the crimson tide" as a euphemism for aunt flo? Because the first time I ever heard that was a school mascot (which was late into my adult life) I thought it was the weirdest thing and cannot disassociate Alabama with that time of the month now.

DS's soccer team is called the mullets; can't be much less intimidating than a fish. :zombie:

Under the right circumstances, nothing can be more intimidating than a mullet.  Especially if you get to talking from a head-on position, and then dude turns to the side a little bit and you're like WAIT A DOG ON MINUTE! That dude was just talking to me like he doesn't have a giant mullet. He's got the confidence of a thousand  Ghengis Khans....

My HS was the Quakers.  We'd cheer "Go Quakers Go.  Kill Quakers Kill."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

That's so funny!!!!

My tee-ball team when I was little was called the "Hoagies."  We were sponsored by a local hoagie shop.  We had tan jerseys with the shop logo (a loaded hoagie) running down the front and back.  We looked like walking hoagies coming and going.  We were a terrifying brigade, don't ya know.  Probably killed a few spectators even -- died of laughter, I'm sure.

• Like 5

Wake Forest's Demon Deacon, Univ of Maryland's Testudo the Terrapin, Mary Baldwin's Gladys the Fighting Squirrel

This thread just reminded me that UNC has the Tar Heels.  Sticky feet.  Yeah, that's a great name.  LOL  It sounds slow and cumbersome which is probably exactly the opposite of what they want to portray.  

• Like 1

Under the right circumstances, nothing can be more intimidating than a mullet. Especially if you get to talking from a head-on position, and then dude turns to the side a little bit and you're like WAIT A DOG ON MINUTE! That dude was just talking to me like he doesn't have a giant mullet. He's got the confidence of a thousand Ghengis Khans....

Yes, even funnier is that we live in the state of many mullets. :)

So, has anyone else heard of "surfing the crimson tide" as a euphemism for aunt flo? Because the first time I ever heard that was a school mascot (which was late into my adult life) I thought it was the weirdest thing and cannot disassociate Alabama with that time of the month now.

LOL my friends and I named our soccer team The Red Tide when we were 11 and thought it was very apropos for a red soccer team from the puget sound area.  Their were like 3 moms who could not same the name without blushing.  It was years before any of us girls found out the other meaning and changed the name to Tsunami.

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 3