Menu

I feel like collapsing every day by early afternoon. Advice or experience?

pinkmint

Ok so this is a spin-off from my other thread. In an attempt to improve or at least understand why I'm often so low energy, it might help my homeschool endeavors.

In the morning I wake up and work myself into alertness with coffee. Then I try to get as much done as I can (I'm a SAHM - kids ages listed in my siggy) until the early afternoon, at which point the only way I can describe it is that it's as if someone shot me with a tranquilizer gun like animals you see on wildlife tv shows. It feels like my brain just stops working for a few hours. If I can get a nap it does help but many days this is impossible because of toddler. During this time each day, it feels as those making normal decisions is too much to ask. I am irritable, have poor judgement and am basically useless. Is this normal or not?

I do plan to see a doctor... haven't in a while but I'm kind of in between insurances right now and just wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts or simular experience.

• Like 1

Do you eat or drink added sugar (or juice) or caffeine?  Those two things are the first things I would eliminate, if you have them.  Especially sugar - makes me *very* draggy later in the day if I have a bunch of it (like a glass of OJ + pancakes + sugary yogurt, etc.) for breakfast.  It will be a few days of hell, then a week of blah, then should even out somewhat.

Do you sleep well at night?  I have found that when I am not sleeping well at night (usually because of late pregnancy and early babyhood) I need the afternoon nap regardless of sugar/caffeine.

• Like 1

I've been low carb for a year now so very minimal sugar. I don't think I could go on without my coffee. I have a cup of regular in the morning and drink decaf after that.

Sleep probably has room for improvement. I seem to be one of those people who can't make due with even an hour less sleep than I need. My kids go to bed too late and my toddler wakes up too early and I'm too tired to try to get them to change so I can sleep more.

Sometimes I wonder about things lik my methamphetamine use years ago. I've heard it can permanently damage your energy resources.

I've been looking at accommodation in Greece, and most apartment owner reminds renter that there's no noise from 2-5pm, that's when people rest. In other words, I think the early afternoon slump is natural, and in many parts of the world it's acknowledged and built into daily life. Yours does sound extreme, but it also sounds as though you're working hard in the morning, so maybe that's to be expected. I have extended times when I've been like that, often when I was under other emotional stress. I know you mention a toddler, but I would work really, really hard to fit in a nap. At one stage when dd was 3 yrs I'd have her sit on the bed with me (perhaps playing with an electronic something or other?) while I dozed. I'd also see about a protein rich lunch, see if that helps. In my experience feeling like this doesn't last forever but I do remember how awful it felt when it did - having to function when you really just ... can't.

• Like 3

Well, I'm often tired by one to two o'clock in the afternoons, and I don't have a toddler. Short of laying down (I don't nap well unless I'm very exhausted) I have found that a higher protein lunch (very light lunch, to leave me hungry) keeps me awake better than afternoon caffeine. I also do better if I have a good night's rest the night before. I found that when I was doing vigorous exercise first thing in the morning (running) that I had more stamina for the afternoons, but as I get older, I don't know if that will hold true or not.

Funny thing, regardless of how I feel around 1 or 2, by late afternoon, I'm fine again. I try to save my brain-dead activities for these low energy times-like housekeeping. I can do that on autopilot, so that's what I do between 3 and 4 when I can.

You might want to devote some energy into getting the kids to bed earlier. I KNOW the thought sucks, and we're a night owl family, so I do understand it won't be easy. However, your kids would very likely adjust to a different time zone or even seasonal time changes, so they'll adjust to this too. If a nap is impossible, you have to find the sleep somewhere and this is the most logical choice. Just spend a week making it your goal in life to move their bedtime earlier. Just ten minutes a day will get you an hour by the week's end. On day one wake them up earlier and keep them moving all day to jump start your effort.

• Like 5

I usually kept the toddler in the bed with me and rubbed his back as he went to sleep.  I got a good 1 to 1.5 hours nap like that every day after lunch.  Feeding them a good lunch helped them fall asleep better, too.  And darkening the room and keeping it very cool.  I had the heaviest, densest shades I could find on the bedroom windows.

Maybe you could ask the doctor about the affects of the drugs. 

I feel the same way, though perhaps not quite as extreme.

I get up and hit the ground running at 5am, accomplish a lot and am on the go until I get the kids down for rest time at 1:30pm and then I am DONE.  Sometimes I nap, but more often I just veg.  I am completely unproductive from 1:30-3 and then I drink a big glass of ice water and soldier on to do what needs doing.  Once the kids are in bed at 7:30 I can normally find the energy to do a load of laundry or sweep the kitchen, but that is it.  I am in bed by 9pm and asleep by 9:30.  Unfortunately, with four small kids in the house, my nights are almost always interrupted a couple times.

It is a season, and I am accomplishing everything that HAS to get done, so for now I'm not too worried about my afternoon slump.

Wendy

• Like 1

I think it's pretty normal to feel that way when you have a toddler. I still feel like that at times now mine are older.

One trick that can help is to have a shorter lay down earlier after lunch. If I have a full nap at around 2pm it messes with bedtime sleep but a short nap straight after lunch refreshed without making me insomniac later.

Also I will vary between summer and winter. When it's really hot it makes sense to get up early and have a nap in the heat whereas in winter with the shorter days a solid day awake can make more sense.

• Like 1

I've been low carb for a year now so very minimal sugar. I don't think I could go on without my coffee. I have a cup of regular in the morning and drink decaf after that.

Sleep probably has room for improvement. I seem to be one of those people who can't make due with even an hour less sleep than I need. My kids go to bed too late and my toddler wakes up too early and I'm too tired to try to get them to change so I can sleep more.

Sometimes I wonder about things lik my methamphetamine use years ago. I've heard it can permanently damage your energy resources.

well, this isn't probably a healthy answer, but I have the same issue around 1 or 2pm. So I have another darned cup of coffee! Two cups a day, one in am, one around 1pm. That keeps me going. Even half-caff might work. 

• Like 4

I find that lack of sleep is my biggest energy drainer. Ideally, I would get a minimum of nine hours. By sleep, I mean continuous, uninterrupted sleep. So I make sure to drink lots f water at dinner, but not fight before bed, kwim?

I sometimes remind myself that sleep deprivation has been used as a form of torture in prisoner of war camps.

And this may just be me, but I usually skip coffee on one weekend day. That helps me to get into a good sleep pattern at night. That may be too extreme for most people, but please don't flame me, lol.

That reminds me... is there any woman whose born children here that can go the whole night without getting up to pee? I cannot. And surely this isn't helping. If I only pee once in the middle of the night it's a good night.

Have you had your adrenal and thyroid function checked? Unrelenting fatigue, depression, and physical weakness were big blinking signs that my adrenals were shot and my thyroid was completely under functioning because of it. I still crash by about 2 pm but with some accommodations in my diet, supplements, and lifestyle it is much improved.

I had a similar experience when I had a young kiddo at home.  I did manage to sneak a nap in for half an hour.  But for me the key was seriously increasing my protein intake, starting at breakfast and again at lunch.  That was the key.

For me.

Have you had your adrenal and thyroid function checked? Unrelenting fatigue, depression, and physical weakness were big blinking signs that my adrenals were shot and my thyroid was completely under functioning because of it. I still crash by about 2 pm but with some accommodations in my diet, supplements, and lifestyle it is much improved.

This.

Since you're between docs and insurance, try the other ideas, of course. But keep this in mind for the moment you have insurance.

In the meantime, if you're not taking Vit D - I'd start. And then get those levels checked, too.

I used to describe the fatigue as a vacuum hose being attached to my lower back, and all energy being sucked out at promptly 2 pm. After that, it was like slugging through a deep pool wearing a lead suit. :(

I agree with getting your cortisol levels checks (adrenals). My levels were low all day long.

Yeah, I had a slight bump in the morning and was almost undetectably low the rest of the day. Proper curve, but no appreciable cortisol production. I was a total physical and emotional mess.

Some people also are dealing with odd spikes and atypical daily patterns which can contribute to sleep difficulties, anxiety, and afternoon crashes too. It's really good to get a one or two day saliva test with a minimum of four test periods in a twelve hour period.

This reminds me:

Last week I was sooooo tired all day, but couldn't sleep at night.  I needed naps to survive (my kids are older so it works). While cleaning out the pantry I happened to find some dried nettle leaf, so I made an infusion of about 1/2 a cup of nettles in a pint of boiling water, left to steep for 4-5 hours.  It actually tasted pretty good, oddly enough.  

The next day I got up and, weirdly enough, was ready for anything!  I don't drink coffee, but had been using chocolate as a crutch -- I had no desire for any chocolate.  It finally occurred to me that nettles are reputed to help the adrenals.  In retrospect, I had been under a lot of stress and I think perhaps I was starting to show signs of adrenal problems, but had accidentally stumbled across something that gave me a bit of a boost.  Once I had that boost I could sleep better, get exercise out in fresh air, and generally do more of the things that people suggest for helping yourself deal with stress and fatigue.  Now I'm on the upward spiral of being able to do more healthy things that help me feel better and give me more energy to do more healthy things.

So I'm totally on the "check your adrenal and thyroid" bandwagon now.   I mean, I didn't, but I probably should have.

I often felt that way and even had bloodwork done to try to find the reason. Extremely low iron levels and very, very low vitamin D levels. I drink that nasty tasting iron drink from the health food store (I think it's called Floradix or something...dark amber bottle) when in the States and also take large doses on Vitamin D. Do you get sick constantly? That might point to low D as well. 

ETA: Yup, I get up to pee at night but I have since I was maybe 9 or 10. About 3-4 times a night regardless of how much I drink. 1 time a night is only if I'm maybe zonked on heavy flu meds or extremely sleep deprived (like 2 hrs the night before)

Edited by waa510
  • Like 1

I recently asked my doctor about iron levels on a hunch and subsequent blood work showed I was very low. Since then I've been taking an iron supplement and I have to say I'm feeling much less groggy than I had been. Now my increased energy could be attributed to the longer daylight hours and to my getting more outdoor exercise, but I have to think the iron at least plays a part. Might be worth looking into. The pills are cheap and one a day isn't likely to hurt.

so . . your energy comes from caffine . .  do you eat a nutritious breakfast -with protein - in the morning?  do you eat enough protein throughout the day?

has your thyroid been checked?  do you get enough *restful* sleep?

• Like 1

That reminds me... is there any woman whose born children here that can go the whole night without getting up to pee? I cannot. And surely this isn't helping. If I only pee once in the middle of the night it's a good night.

Most nights now, but not for at least 3 years postpartum. I think also if the kids disturb your sleep it's easy to get into the habit of going just because your awake.

Also I meant to say when my fatigue is at its worst it was a vit b deficiency.

well, first off, how old are you?  What is your hormone status?  You say you are low carb.  Are you too low carb? 

Have you had labs done recently (thyroid, glucose, vitD, anemia, etc)?

are you supporting your body with the foods and vitamins and supplements you need?

are you able to get exercise?

I'm not a very energetic person in general and definitely get an afternoon slump (but can seldom nap, and have an anti-nap child; we do have quiet time). On days when I want to get a lot done, I actually avoid sitting down after lunchtime at all. Once I sit, I want to rest all afternoon. If I can stay standing, I do much better, especially with more coffee.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it might not be a reasonable goal to Do All the Things every day, if that's just not what you're up for right now. If you can pull off one butt-kicking day, then one slow day, then a couple of moderate days and another slow day during the week, you will get a reasonable amount done within your limits. Maybe some people can maintain the same activity level all the time, but I don't seem to be one of them.

• Like 2

Shoot, I have a 12 and 15 year old and I still have that afternoon slump.

Coffee is my best friend and I would not want to live life without her.    Two cups of hot coffee to get me going in the morning when I wake, and once the coffee is gone, it's time for me to function.  Go, go, go until after lunch, and then my batteries need charging, so I'll have another cup of coffee.  This time of year it's usually iced coffee, but I'll swap in iced tea often too.  Or I'll have a glass of each.  :)  Then I find I have a few more hours of activity in me.  

I think you sound pretty normal.  I also need at least 8 full hours of sleep a night- but I do better if I can get at least 9.  My DH can get by on just 5 hours.  I can manage for a day or two of shortened sleep, but then I start getting really sluggish and I need to sleep in longer to catch back up on my sleep.  And yes, peeing in the middle of the night happens often.  If I only have to get up once it's a GREAT night of sleep.  

I had my thyroid checked late last fall, and I was SURE I was going to have something going on there, so it was a complete surprise when my doctor called me up and said everything checked out normal.  But when you have the ability to get those things checked out, it's certainly not going to hurt to do so.  

• Like 1

Agree with others to get your thyroid and iron levels checked when you can. An afternoon slump is normal, but yours symptoms sound more severe than normal. In the meantime, nap when you can and try to get more sleep at night (easier said than done, I know). And, I also get up to use the bathroom at least once/night and have done that long before having kids. Hope you get feeling better soon...

I wish you could see an acupuncturist.  I was having lots of problems with energy, feeling super cold etc.  The practitioner was interested in the fact that I got up in the night to pee.  She saw that as not something that should be considered normal.  Sure enough, After a few weeks of treatment I stopped getting up in the night to pee. I drink the same amount every day and at the same times, but don't get up to pee.  Lots of other things got better as well, lol. But I never would have considered that something that needs addressing unless she had asked me. And then to have it stop like it did was pretty interesting.

Anyway, it caught my eye when  you mentioned it.

And the only time I have ever just STOPPED due to exhaustion, like you are describing, was when I was pregnant. I would sit down and fall asleep and not even realize what had happened. 

• Like 1

I agree with those who say it would be a good idea to get some blood work done.  I'm very much a morning person and often feel tired/done by early afternoon.  But I've only experienced the type of tiredness you talk about when (1) I was anemic and (2) in the last few months before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  The having to work yourself to alertness with coffee in the morning and feeling like you've been tranquilized in the afternoon were both things I experienced before my hypothyroidism diagnosis.

I never took naps, not even when my dc were young. It wasn't until 20 years later when the undermedicated thyroid finally quit working at all that I started napping. :-)

Yes, absolutely, have your thyroid function tested. And don't settle for only TSH (thyroid synthesizing hormone, which is produced by your pituitary gland, not your thyroid); you should insist on Free T3, Free T4, and Reverse T3. And before you talk to your doctor, check out Stop the Thyroid Madness so that you are more prepared when you tell the doctor what you want (notice I said that you would tell the doctor what you want, not that you would ask him please).

The only time I get an afternoon slump is if I've gone too long with inadequate rest or when I'm pregnant. With poor rest I usually just slump for a day. But with pregnancy I needed a 2 hour nap every afternoon; it happened with all 3 dc. And in spite of the lack of sleep in the newborn stage I was actually less tired after I gave birth.

:grouphug:   Hugs to you! I hope you're able to find out what's wrong so you can start getting better soon!

Another thing to keep in mind is that it might not be a reasonable goal to Do All the Things every day, if that's just not what you're up for right now. If you can pull off one butt-kicking day, then one slow day, then a couple of moderate days and another slow day during the week, you will get a reasonable amount done within your limits. Maybe some people can maintain the same activity level all the time, but I don't seem to be one of them.

This is me, too. The OP's description of that it makes her more irritable later in the day was spot-on. I *can* do a lot in a day, but if I do, it tends to result in increased irritability, less patience with everyone around me, and less energy overall.

Also, I changed multi-vitamins last year and also noticed a dip in afternoon energy—feeling like I needed to go to bed. I changed back to my original brand and felt as though it helped.

Erica in OR

I've felt like this twice in my life.  Once I had walking pneumonia with no symptoms other than exhaustion that had turned quite severe - I was in danger of having a lung collapse.  The second time I'd developed diabetes and my cells were starving even though I was over eating.  I've heard of other conditions that cause similar symptoms so I'd go in for a checkup.

I agree with those saying another cup of coffee, at least if you're only having one other caffeinated cup a day. But don't leave it too late or it will mess with your sleep. Better yet, try for a nap and save coffee as an extra pick-me-up on days you can't get the nap.

As for getting up in the night, I don't think it's too much of a big deal unless you don't get back to sleep again. At one stage I was waking for a pee at 4am (and no, that would not be the first time) and then I couldn't get back to sleep. Eventually I started setting an (gentle classical music) alarm for 2am and going then just so I wouldn't need to wake at 4am! It did actually work at "resetting my clock".

I can. I've had three kids. I only pee about 4 times a day total. Even when I was pregnant I can only remember having to use the restroom a handful of times during the night.

My dh said I'm the best woman to travel with because I need to stop less than he does for bathroom breaks.  :lol:

Edited by Chelli

Ok, so not sure this will apply but I was at my doc today dealing with the same stuff. I do have adrenal insufficiency and thyroid issues. But they are being treated and I'm not in a good spot now. I had forgotten about hypercoagulation. Oops. The moment I told her I feel like I'm slogging through water in a lead suit, she reminded me. It's an ongoing thing and I slacked off treating it. So if all else fails, you might check into that, too.

Do you have allergies? When I had that problem and was falling asleep every afternoon even though I had never been a napper, it turned out my allergies weren't under control. Doc said I was so congested that I was probably being shortchanged on oxygen and probably not sleeping well.

• Like 1

I have four borne children and never have this problem. It doesn't sound normal to me, and I would talk to my doctor if this happened to me on a long term basis.

• Like 1