Menu

How Would YOUR Family get rid of 60 Avocados?

Gil

I made avocado cheesecake once. I wouldn't make it again for myself, but my at-the-time toddler ate just about the whole thing.

Oh, c'mon Dust! You don't just say something like that without linking a recipe to try (or avoid!).

• Like 2

I would put some in the fridge so they would ripen more slowly.

I would eat guac for a long time.  For, like, meals.

I would put it into every salad I made, in large quantities.

I would cut some in half, fill the little seed lake with walnut oil, and eat these plain for a vegetable side dish.

I would have avocado, cheese, and tomato sandwiches on pita bread.

And I would give some to the neighbors.

• Like 4

I'd be eating avocados with every meal- on top of scrambled eggs, as a grilled cheese/avocado/tomato sandwich, etc.     And I'd freeze some.  But since I'm the only one who likes them, I'd probably have to give half away.  I can keep ripe ones in the fridge for a week so I could eat about 10 the first week and 10 the second, and freeze another ten or so. 

Truthfully, if I had that many, I would likely gorge on them.  

• Like 2

You can freeze avocado to save it. Gotta peel it first, just like bananas.

I enjoy avocado for breakfast - cut it in half, wrap it in bacon so the bacon comes over the cut part of the avocado (making a cup), carefully crack a raw egg in the hole of the avocado so it doesn't fall out, bake in the oven for 20 minutes or so. Alternatively, scramble the eggs, add some lox and scallions, eat the whole thing with some smashed avocado.

I put it in a fruit salad too - avocado, banana, strawberries, cherry, and I drizzle the whole thing with a light ginger-orange syrup I cook up on the stove.

You can also bread avocados and fry them up - yum!

• Like 2

I would make a huge bowl of guacamole. You could use around a half dozen and bake them with an egg inside. Cut the avocado in half and then crack the egg and put the yoke and some of the whites in the seed imprint. The rest would be used for toppings on tacos!

• Like 1

I'd make a crap ton of avocado smoothies and freeze in individual sized containers for easy daily thawing thereafter.  Just a little mashed avocado, some honey and a bit of rice milk or coconut milk, maybe a banana - yum.

I love the suggestion to make some guacamole and invite over friends!

I might take that a different direction, and have some girls over to do hair masks and facials!

I'd make some guac to freeze, some to eat now, leave about 10 to eat in salads, sandwiches etc...we love them!!! Oh! Have Mexican dinners...chicken tortilla soup, tacos, enchiladas... use them as topping for those. Send some our way, we'll put them to good use :)

We go through a ton of avocados in this vegetarian household! At the beginning of each week I make a huge bowl of guac with tons of lime. We eat it throughout the week with chips, with Mexican-style dinners, even on bagels. And yes, it does freeze well in slices, mashed into portion sizes, or as guac.

LOL, If all else fails I would offer a class on how to check an avocado for ripeness at the supermarket without bruising and ruining the thing as a public service! Arg, a pet peeve of mine is opening an avo to discover somebody has killed it already with their thumbs:)

• Like 2

I'd eat a couple, I like them with boiled eggs, on turkey sandwiches (with boiled eggs) and on Cobb style salads (which have boiled eggs).  I don't like guacamole (tomatillos :ack2: ) but I could do avocado hummus.  I'd try to give some away but most people around here are more meat/potato types.  I'd freeze the rest and look up lots of recipes for things to do with frozen avocados.

I'd have a taquito party. Huge bowl of guacamole, huge bowl of salsa, a pot of beans on the stove. Invite everyone over to watch Mad Max or some other loud, fun movie. 

Or a week of Have'a chips and avocado. Nice and simple. 

Man, I'd hate it in the end though...

This would be paradise for us!  They would be gone within a few days. Mostly, we just cut in half, sprinkle a little salt and eat with a spoon.   I'd probably make some guacamole if I had so many.  I'd also likely use it for a recipe or two (family burrito, deviled eggs, for chicken/tuna salad for those who eat meat, etc).  

In addition to many of the other suggestions, we would make smoothies with avocado, banana, and pear. I learned this while living in Brazil. Everything they make with avocados there is sweet.

Another thing my teenagers do when we have extras is make chocolate pudding. I don't have the recipe; they got it online. That always wipes out any extra avocados we have. 

Well, my three kids can easily eat 24 in a week...we love them. You can freeze them with a bit of lemon in air tight baggies. Thaw for guacamole or to throw into chocolate smoothies/pudding.

You can also make guacamole (with lots of lemon) and freeze it.

I had no idea I could do this. Can I use lime juice instead of lemon?

Kelly

Oh, c'mon Dust! You don't just say something like that without linking a recipe to try (or avoid!).

It was a few years ago, I didn't think it set properly(or tasted good), so I didn't save the recipe. It was probably one of the first things I found when I typed "avocado cheesecake recipe" into google. :P