Menu

Fox News Panel on Leggings

goldberry

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4581315334001/are-there-certain-rules-to-wearing-leggings/?#sp=show-clips

Someone proposed a segment like this.  Someone then approved it.  Someone filmed it and put it on a news channel.  I have nothing more to say.

ETA brief summary:

Fox News assembled a panel of men to evaluate three women modeling leggings to determine if they were modest/appropriate enough.  More than a few "jokes" were made (i.e. them having "lady-parts" covered or not, and about the men taking nitroglycerine tablets.)

Well, I have news for Foxnews. I don't care what they think. As a matter of fact, I'd like to stick my tongue out at them in a very elementary school playground kind of way. I guess I'm feeling puckish or something.

Dunces. So many of our media heads, regardless of corporate affiliation, are just dunces.

• Like 6

Does anyone want to give a two sentence summary?

Fox News assembled a panel of men to evaluate three women modeling leggings to determine if they were modest/appropriate enough.  More than a few "jokes" were made (i.e. them having "lady-parts" covered or not, and about the men taking nitroglycerine tablets.)

• Like 1

foxnews....enough said

I'm no fan of Fox News, but that shocked even me.  It's more like an afternoon talk show (Jerry Springer) than anything that should ever be seen on a news channel, especially if that news channel ever wants women to watch it ever again.  They really must just not give a crap.

• Like 4

I'm no fan of Fox News, but that shocked even me.  It's more like an afternoon talk show (Jerry Springer) than anything that should ever be seen on a news channel, especially if that news channel ever wants women to watch it ever again.  They really must just not give a crap.

either that or a VERY slowwww news day

I mean really?!

• Like 1

I do watch FOx News but I don't think this was a good segment.  THe leggings I see on people walking around in public are underneath a long shirt or a short dress or skirt.  But since I don't find leotards and tights immodest, I don't find leggings in the right circumstances (aerobics maybe) any problem either. I don't find Speedo;s on women or girls immodest either and they are more revealing.  ANyway, a modesty debate isn't news, its trying to drum up news and a poor attempt at it.

"Fox News" is an oxymoron imo (& especially in this case, from what it sounds like).

I won't watch the video because I don't click on links that support them. The more clicks they get, the more support there is for their style & angle of newstelling.

It doesn't sound like news, nor even something that could be categorized under human interest or entertainment. Sigh.

• Like 9

Someone proposed a segment like this.  Someone then approved it.  Someone filmed it and put it on a news channel.  I have nothing more to say.

I haven't watched the video, but I did a search to find out if it was the show I suspected.  I was right...Fox & Friends. 

I don't watch the show, but my understanding is that it is along the lines of Good Morning America ( ABC news), etc.  so there's a lot of fluff put in because that must appeal to the morning viewers. 

Most people with jobs and other responsibilities aren't sitting around watching morning tv shows like Fox&Friends, Good Morning America, The View, etc. ( I can't even stand the commercials for GMA that I hear on the radio...I liked George Steph. better before he was on GMA and was not trying to sound perky.)  

• Like 1

It's a morning show. They're all ridiculous at best. And leggings without a skirt or tunic over them are indeed rather awful.

That's about as much of a care as I can work up over this. :rofl:

It's a bit weird isn't it?  Although I have to admit, I see plenty of girls in leggings around at the moment who are giving off a vibe that is different than I think they intend to. 

I remember when they became popular a few years ago, most people wore them with tunic type tops or something similar, often with a boot.  I'm still seeing that, but now the tops have shortened considerably, and while they aren't crop tops they are fairly high waisted.

In a few cases it seems to work - it can look a bit Audry Hepburn, nicely tailored and sort of slim looking. Those people seem to have better quality leggings on in most cases - the fabric is thinker and I think most importantly they actually fit. They are more like a very slim jean, with some detailing. But a lot of the young women are wearing what I think are quite cheap ones with very loud patterns, they look like they are made more like tights than pants.  Since you can see the whole top of teh pants with the short shirt, the lack of detail and any thinness in the fabric across the butt is really obvious.  And often they don't seem to fit well.  A lot of the time, they look like they forgot to finish getting dressed.

I'm afraid this sounds a lot like picking on people who can't afford nice things, but I think maybe some styles don't translate well to particular body types or just can't be reproduced cheaply very well.

I didn't even have to click on it to guess it was a clip from the morning show.  Have you seen morning shows on ANY cable news channels (ore regular network channels for that matter) at all?  They're ALL stupid. LOL  I'll just file this under the ever growing category of Not Worth Getting Ticked Over.

• Like 4

The segment on Fox was awful. Having said that, they missed what the controversy is really about. The women on the show wore black or at least darker leggings and they were good quality- well, at least good enough that the material was thick enough. 

Around town I see women wearing super thin leggings that are waaaay tight in areas-- they show quite a lot of detail in the hooha area.  It's like they have a wedgie in the front.  I recently saw on Facebook a woman wearing white ones so thin you could see her tattoo through her leggings. No, a tattoo isn't revealing but that also means you can see other bits. One of the Jenner girls was recently all over the internet because her leggings were so clear that her booty (which was not covered by underwear) was clearly showing. 

I don't think it's newsworthy but I do think it would be a service to women to show them that ill fitting or too tight leggings aren't flattering to any figure. But the segment on Fox and Friends was nothing but awful. 

I didn't mean to start a debate about leggings.  My opinion is, whatever you think about them, lining up old men to critique women wearing them is creepy, inappropriate, and not going to accomplish anything except to make people's skin crawl.

Especially the last guy in the group who was averting his eyes as if he was afraid he'd burst into flames if he looked at a woman dressed in leggings. I wanted to smack him. Why did he even agree to be on that stupid panel????

• Like 2

I don't think leggings are at all modest, unless worn under a dress or tunic.  :leaving:

However, asking three men to evaluate tight-fitting women's clothing is just plain wrong. I'm not all that surprised, though, given the source.

*Edited to remove most of my cattiness. :blush:  Sorry, it's late and I need sleep. 

• Like 2

For me, the worst part wasn't even that they were critiquing. It was set up as what they would allow their daughters to wear and many of their comments in that regard disturbed me. WTH? Dh, in 16 years of parenting, has never thought he should tell our dds what they can or can't wear. My dad never did either (not even when heading out in my ridiculous cheerleading uniforms).

• Like 1

I feel that way about the majority of what is on TV.  (That's why I haven't watched TV in a long time.)  Every news channel has its fair share of tripe and foolishness.

Well, my friend told me about a relatively new news channel that supposedly isn't as stupid, at least when it's reporting the news (as opposed to opinions).  So far she hasn't been able to convince me to sample it.

I was talking to my dad yesterday.  I wanted a reality check.  It wasn't always like this, was it?  There used to be a time when America could engage in intelligent discussions about substantive topics.  My dad agrees.  How it got to this point beats me.  Stupid definitely sells.

• Like 1

They asked the guys as fathers, not old men ogling over young women. I think that is a different approach. A lot of dads care about what their daughters wear. I know my dad did, and I'm glad he was that way.

Morning news shows are going to do obscure segments on viral trends of all kinds. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

They asked the guys as fathers, not old men ogling over young women. I think that is a different approach. A lot of dads care about what their daughters wear. I know my dad did, and I'm glad he was that way.

Morning news shows are going to do obscure segments on viral trends of all kinds. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

But those were not their daughters! I don't care if a man has 10 daughters, he better step off looking at my daughter and commenting on her attire!!
  • Like 13

But those were not their daughters! I don't care if a man has 10 daughters, he better step off looking at my daughter and commenting on her attire!!

They were grown women, not girls.

I just think it's ironic that we don't think men should voice opinions about what women wear, but we can voice our opinions criticizing them for having an opinion.

Where are all the news segments about dad's deciding what is and isn't appropriate for their sons? My dds are very aware society cares more about what they wear than boys. They especially deal with it every day with school dress codes. I find the overall message disturbing.

• Like 7

Where are all the news segments about dad's deciding what is and isn't appropriate for their sons? My dds are very aware society cares more about what they wear than boys. They especially deal with it every day with school dress codes. I find the overall message disturbing.

Somehow we missed the panel of middle aged moms critiquing (sp?) a panel of young men wearing low slung pants, discussing just how much boxer could be shown before the young men were indecent or the recent skinny jean trend (how skinny is too skinny for a man?). If it's ok for middle aged men to decide what girls wear, it's ok the other way.

• Like 10

Yes, they did come up with an excuse for ogling them. How clever of them. Most boys looking at the Victoria Secret catalog are just thinking about buying their mothers pajamas for Christmas too, you know.

• Like 16