Menu

Do people do this at your foodstore?

gingersmom

All this chat about food stores......

My foodstore has a huge bakery section. There's usually no employees in sight.

There is a huge display of cookies you pay for by the pound. Nearly every time I am at store parents wheel up cart with kids and start handing out cookies like the sign says FREE (it doesn't)

Today I was there around 8 am and a guy is doing his shopping while eating a doughnut. I assume he could have paid for it then went shopping but I don't think so.

When my daughter was young we went to bagel store and then foodstore. My daughter was eating bagel at checkout. I didn't think anything of it because it was not from foodstore. Cashier never asked and charged me for a bagel. I didn't notice till I was in parking lot. I marched back in to get my money back.

Am I the only one who thinks this is weird? I've never seen anyone stopped or questioned so I guess maybe it's the unwritten rule? Would never happen at my old foodstore. You would be in handcuffs.

Years ago when ds was little the bakery would give a free cookie. But they were behind the counter. Not sure if they still do that. We get food from the deli and eat it in the store sometimes. We save the bag and pay for it when we check out. Obviously we never do this with by the pound items.

• Like 5

I grab a soda for myself; I might grab a donut or even a cheese stick for my daughter. I always let them know and pay for it. There have been times we have walked out and I've forgotten to pay for a donut. In that case, I pay for it next time. 

What irks me is when whole families are just eating off the fruit stands. I've seen families that get a package of grapes and eat those while shopping, then pay for them...maybe. Who knows. Either way, they are not paying for the full amount as it's charged per lb and they're not paying for the eaten portion. 

• Like 1

I've taken known-to-be-free cookies, while they were unattended -- but i knew that's what they were supposed to be for. I was not in any way transgressing, I was just not waiting for service.

I've also allowed for small kids (toddlers) to eat groceries before we paid for them. Even fruit: I would "pay twice" for one that I was buying to approximate the weight of the one that was eaten.

• Like 1

Both our local Kroger and Publix give free cookies to children if asked. I've never seen anyone else getting other free food (unless they're obviously samples), no random bagels or donuts - I would think those could be eaten quickly before checking out and then not be paid for.

I do find it odd that your cashier didn't ask about the bagel before charging you.

Harris Teeter gives everybody a free sugar cookie, perhaps to avoid that exact problem. Whole Foods has a wagon of Kids' Club free snacks (probably to get kids to try things and then ask the parents to buy more).

Other than that, I don't think I've ever let DS eat in a store. I feed this boy before we go anywhere (and often when we get back as well). My Very Hungry Caterpillar.

• Like 2

Like others, when my kids were little I would grab something for them to eat, then pay for it.  Maybe other people saw my kids eating donuts and assumed we weren't going to pay for them. Once in a great while I'd forget, and offer to pay the next time. The cashier would always look at me like I was crazy and refuse to charge me. 

Maybe people think those cookies sitting out are free for the taking?   I've never seen cookies by the pound sitting out like that.  Donuts, other pastries, yes - they are sold by the unit, not weight. I've never seen cookies or other things that are sold by the pound (except produce or things in bulk bins). 

Harris Teeter gives everybody a free sugar cookie, perhaps to avoid that exact problem.

Yes.  I do most of my shopping at HT, and they always have free cookies in a case.  But I usually shop before 9:00 a.m. on weekdays, so I rarely see anybody partaking (mostly because there just aren't that many people shopping then).

My personal comfort level is that we don't eat ANYTHING until it is paid for. This means, on one occasion, we went into the store, ALL the way to the back to choose a lunchable. Then back to the front to stand in line and pay for it. Then my son ate on it while we finished the rest of our shopping. And I held onto the receipt to be sure.

OTOH, if you saw me shopping in the store with the lunchable open on my son's lap, you wouldn't see the paid for receipt in my pocket and might assume we were eating the goods before we purchased it.

• Like 4

No.

I've seen them open a package, rarely, but in that case you can pay for the food by using the bar code. Cookies sold by weight can't be weight after they've been eaten.

That's odd but apparently the store doesn't mind, or they'd do something.

• Like 1

No... but all bakery items at our grocery store are behind glass (even the free kids' cookies - you have to request one from a baker).

However, I do let my children eat their goodies while I shop. I request the desired items as soon as we walk in, they box them up and put a price sticker on the box, then I open it and let them go to town. I hand the box (empty or not) to the cashier on the way out. The bakery and the store knows I do this (and have done this for 6 years or so) and have no problem with it. As soon as they see me walk up they ask if I want my usual (I clean them out of cinnamon-twist donuts, lol).

I see people do this all the time.

Once many years ago my boyfriend at the time would eat grapes off of the bunches in the produce section. I did not approve as I considered it stealing, but whatever. Anyway, one time he was doing this and someone made an announcement over the loudspeaker saying essentially that people eating unpaid for food were stealing and needed to stop it or else.

• Like 7

My personal comfort level says that any eating in the supermarket - even your daughter's bagel from another store - isn't OK. 

We have a "first we pay, then we eat" rule at the market. My 2YO chants it as we go.

Our market does have a free bakery cookie for kids, which we sometimes use, but again -  I don't think the market is the place for eating.

I do love the phrase "food store," which I'd not heard until we lived outside of Philadelphia. 

• Like 6

The one time I opened a bag of goldfish to quiet a screaming toddler after a long day I promptly went up to pay for it while apologizing profusely. Now if I don't have snacks I will buy something first thing, do the rest of my shopping, and show my receipt to the cashier. Lately I've been a starving pregnant mommy with mommy brain (why didn't I bring a snack for myself?!?) so buying something first thing has been a ritual of sorts.

The free cookie has saved us a few times but my kids don't really like them.

• Like 1

Yikes!  That's a bit brazen.  The bakery at our grocery will give kids free cookies as long as their parents are with them, all you have to do is ask.  I would never just take something and eat it.  I also don't open packages in the store either which is something I see folks doing.  

Things that make you go hmm.

• Like 2

I have seen that many times at different Whole Foods and the free kids treats is at customer service booth and nowhere near the cookie display section.  Sometimes a staff sees the mother doing that but feels too awkward to say anything to the mom so they just tell another staff instead.  A mom did tirade a staff for politely telling her that the cookies have to be paid for.  The mom has just handed a cookie to her around 4ft tall child to keep the child preoccupied; child promptly ate it of course.  

The one time I opened a bag of goldfish to quiet a screaming toddler after a long day I promptly went up to pay for it while apologizing profusely. Now if I don't have snacks I will buy something first thing, do the rest of my shopping, and show my receipt to the cashier. Lately I've been a starving pregnant mommy with mommy brain (why didn't I bring a snack for myself?!?) so buying something first thing has been a ritual of sorts.

The free cookie has saved us a few times but my kids don't really like them.

Way less of a problem.  At least you aren't bringing up a half eaten bag of grapes sold by weight. 

My mother had diabetes.  In moments of desperation she sometimes opened up something sweet in the store and then paid for it.  But nothing sold by weight. 

• Like 1

I have seen that many times at different Whole Foods and the free kids treats is at customer service booth and nowhere near the cookie display section.  Sometimes a staff sees the mother doing that but feels too awkward to say anything to the mom so they just tell another staff instead.  A mom did tirade a staff for politely telling her that the cookies have to be paid for.  The mom has just handed a cookie to her around 4ft tall child to keep the child preoccupied; child promptly ate it of course.  

Whole Foods is a different story.  They are so expensive.

Haha...no I'm kidding, but yeah I feel less sympathetic about Whole Paycheck.

All this chat about food stores......

My foodstore has a huge bakery section. There's usually no employees in sight.

There is a huge display of cookies you pay for by the pound. Nearly every time I am at store parents wheel up cart with kids and start handing out cookies like the sign says FREE (it doesn't)

Today I was there around 8 am and a guy is doing his shopping while eating a doughnut. I assume he could have paid for it then went shopping but I don't think so.

When my daughter was young we went to bagel store and then foodstore. My daughter was eating bagel at checkout. I didn't think anything of it because it was not from foodstore. Cashier never asked and charged me for a bagel. I didn't notice till I was in parking lot. I marched back in to get my money back.

Am I the only one who thinks this is weird? I've never seen anyone stopped or questioned so I guess maybe it's the unwritten rule? Would never happen at my old foodstore. You would be in handcuffs.

No, I have never seen that. I'm not a big supporter of the concept of walking around in public chowing on treats, either so, even if I paid for it, I would not walk around with bakery goods in my hands.

• Like 4

Haha...no I'm kidding, but yeah I feel less sympathetic about Whole Paycheck.

Whole Foods used to put out nice cut fruits samples on weekends so my picky boys could try seasonal fruits before we decide whether to splurge. Then customers abuse the free samples and they have to start putting signs that say "one sample per customer please".  After that they give up and practically stop having samples.

• Like 1

At the walmart where I worked there would be people who would pay for snacks at checkout after eating them. There would also be wrappers and containers stashed in various gross places by less honest people who ate and didn't pay.

I'm kind of paranoid about Big Brother watching me, so when my kids declare they are hungry on entry to a store, I'll buy snacks before we go do other shopping. The big exception is Costco, where getting a churro when we first go in is pretty routine, and I'll actually take the kids at lunchtime because between the churro and all the free samples, they'll be satisfied. I still only let them each get one sample of any particular item per trip. Occasionally I have bought something because they actually liked it, especially when it was something I wouldn't have thought to buy for them otherwise (like Madras lentils for example).

No, I have never seen that. I'm not a big supporter of the concept of walking around in public chowing on treats, either so, even if I paid for it, I would not walk around with bakery goods in my hands.

This. I think it would be weird to eat while shopping unless you're a small child or trying an offered sample of something (not just helping yourself to the grapes or whatever). I rarely see anyone do that, but I have occasionally seen evidence of people eating or drinking something they've likely helped themselves to without buying, then abandoned the trash on a shelf. 

• Like 3

Ingles where we like to shop has free cookies for kids. The bakery people hand them out if there aren't any in the display. They have actually mentioned the free cookie to me if I pass by and my kids don't have a cookie in hand LOL!

I also let my youngest have a cheese stick and individual chocolate milk. He hands the empty packages to the cashier and she rings them up then throws the packaging away.

Never eaten anything other than samples, until paid. If the kids were hungry they had to wait until we were done. I just couldn't wander around having the kids eat stuff we had not bought. That just felt wrong to me. I realize if its a scanned it and you pay on your way out its OK, but its not what I am comfortable with

• Like 5

Piggybacking on something Quill said...

I don't recall ever being a given a snack at the grocery as a child except at a family owned meat market that kept a container of sugar wafers at the counter for children.  When did snacking while food shopping become the new normal?

That said, my food coop with its bins from which one scoops grains, beans as well as nuts and some snack items (chocolate covered nuts) has signs asking folks not to graze.  I have witnessed the phenomenon there.

• Like 3

My mother had diabetes. In moments of desperation she sometimes opened up something sweet in the store and then paid for it. But nothing sold by weight.

I opened a pack of juice boxes while we were waiting in line b/c DD's blood sugar was low. She was so paranoid because we hadn't paid for it yet. Lol! But that's my only exception. I usually have snacks in my bag for toddlers that need to eat while shopping. But I would feel really weird giving my kid something we hadn't paid for yet.

In fact, at one store I watched a tense interaction between a cashier and young adult. The cashier told the girl she wasn't supposed to open packages she hadn't paid for yet. The girl got really loud and angry and made a big scene about how she was going to file a complaint at customer service- and she did. I felt really bad for the cashier because the girl was definitely over the top in her reaction.

I have spent more money on bad grapes because I don't want to be charged with stealing for trying one.

The cookies are in a display case with doors and boxes/bags underneath. No employee is handing out anything. Just the parents :)

I think there's a difference between trying one grape to test the quality and eating from the bag as you shop, though. I don't see how one grape will affect the cost; several handfuls? Definitely will. 

• Like 1

The store where we shop gives a free cookie to every kid. They have been behind the counter and in a container on the counter at different times. I would think that if you see this a lot that the store probably gives out free cookies to kids and doesn't mind if parents do it themselves if there is no one around. Just because there is no sign doesn't mean they don't do it. Ask before you judge.

Ds had food allergies, so we never even got the free cookies. I never allowed my kids to eat anything sold by weight before paying for it, but I have opened packages and let them eat something then paid for it in the checkout line.

• Like 2

I opened a pack of juice boxes while we were waiting in line b/c DD's blood sugar was low. She was so paranoid because we hadn't paid for it yet. Lol! But that's my only exception. I usually have snacks in my bag for toddlers that need to eat while shopping. But I would feel really weird giving my kid something we hadn't paid for yet.

In fact, at one store I watched a tense interaction between a cashier and young adult. The cashier told the girl she wasn't supposed to open packages she hadn't paid for yet. The girl got really loud and angry and made a big scene about how she was going to file a complaint at customer service- and she did. I felt really bad for the cashier because the girl was definitely over the top in her reaction.

I have never had a cashier bat an eye over me paying for opened food. Ever.

I don't really walk around eating while I am shopping....I don't have enough hands for that.....but I sure did it when I had a toddler. And I also get a drink and drink it while I shop.

• Like 1

I don't do it often, but I have no issues with opening something in the store as long as you pay for it at the end. When my children were toddlers I even recall giving them a banana as I shopped. At the register I would hand the cashier my bunch of bananas to be weighed and once they were rung up I'd tear one banana apart from the rest and have the cashier weigh it separately to pay for the eaten banana. If the store ever had a problem with it they never said anything. 

I've also picked up a drink and had a few sips while waiting in line or when I felt really shaky and nauseous. As long as everything is paid for at the register why would anyone else really care? 

• Like 1

Pretty much the only way I can get any grocery shopping done with my toddler is if he's eating while I'm doing it!  At Costco, it's either an apple (sold by the package, not by weight) or a smoothie from the food court.  At the regular grocery store, it's whatever fruit I can find that's not sold by weight.  The one time I got caught and couldn't find anything he liked that wasn't by weight, I weighed the package before hand, then found a second that was the same weight and explained to the cashier what happened so he could charge me for the heavier one twice.  We don't eat too many prepackaged snacks, so I'd feel weird bringing my own fruit into the store, you know?  

Other than the occasional sample handed out in a place like Sam's Club, I've never eaten while grocery shopping, and our kids didn't either.  It just wasn't something we did.  I was taught not to shop hungry and I think if I was eating while grocery shopping I might buy more food than I needed.  That sounds weird, but I think that's how it would work for me. 

When I visit family in Atlanta and shop at Publix, I always find it odd that when I order deli meat they hand me a slice to eat.  Um, no thanks. 

I don't have a problem w folks who open a bag of crackers or something to let the kids snack while shopping but it annoys me to see people eat grapes or something while shopping since I know that's going unpaid and is going to be part of the shrinkage, which eventually raises my costs. 

• Like 4

Our store has a sign in the bakery inviting children to take a cookie (just please use the tissue paper!). So, it isn't an issue here. My children all love going shopping with me! Sometimes I wish I could have a free cookie, too, though...

At my store the kids have to ask. And TWICE in the past 5+ years I got offered one. :)

I do have Eldest always say he is older then 10 (the age cut off) when he goes up with Youngest. But they still sometimes offer him one. 

When I have been offered I admit I didn't mention that I was past the cut-off. :p 

Piggybacking on something Quill said...

I don't recall ever being a given a snack at the grocery as a child except at a family owned meat market that kept a container of sugar wafers at the counter for children.  When did snacking while food shopping become the new normal?

That said, my food coop with its bins from which one scoops grains, beans as well as nuts and some snack items (chocolate covered nuts) has signs asking folks not to graze.  I have witnessed the phenomenon there.

More families either with only one parent -- or with both parents working. So kids being picked up at dinner time and grocery shopping still needs doing.  ANd maybe only another hour-ish before bedtime. And homework to still do. So trying to multitask.

• Like 1

I've gone through checkout to buy one banana before, so my kid could eat it while we shopped for our full grocery list.

Our local stores give out free cookies at the bakery, and each kid has a card good for one free apple per shopping trip. 

I admit to trying one grape from a bag to make sure they are worth the price whenever I buy grapes.

I think there's a difference between trying one grape to test the quality and eating from the bag as you shop, though. I don't see how one grape will affect the cost; several handfuls? Definitely will. 

What makes grapes so special that they need to be taste-tested for quality, unlike all the other produce people buy? 

• Like 3