Menu

Menstrual Cramps

Negin

Aleve...I used advil for years and had to take several at a time.  A doc prescribed a much higher dose of Aleve and I was able to cut back.  I can take one or sometimes at the most 2 at a time.  Take them as soon as you notice any cramps and take them religiously until cramps are done.  I take my last dose about 24 hours after my first.

• Like 1

I had awful cramps beginning as a teenager. I would have her take three ibuprofen tablets as soon as she notices the cramps beginning, then continue every 4-6 hours as needed. Don't take the ibuprofen on an empty stomach. Hot showers help until the meds kick in.

My cramps decreased very significantly when I was an almost-vegan. Dairy and red meat both affect hormones.

:grouphug: to her. 

• Like 1

If they're bad, just go for the drugs.  All the holistic/home/gentle remedies in the world won't touch that pain.  Some of us grew up in the bad old days before we were allowed to take ibuprofen for cramps.  Trust me, we tried everything.  Changing diet, extreme exercise -- none of that works for some people.  Even codeine does nothing.  Doctors were considering putting me on a morphine IV.  Although -- extra bonus -- I suffered with it so long that childbirth was very nearly a piece of cake.  At least childbirth didn't feature continuous vomiting for 24 hours.

Any kind of over the counter strength ibuprofen (or whatever Aleve is -- naproxen?) works for many people.  But it has to be taken before the pain gets bad.  If she waits, it may not do much.  If she's throwing up at all, then she definitely needs to take the drugs early.

Tylenol does nothing.  Aspirin does very little.  I think the mode of action of ibuprofen and naproxen in this case is not just the pain relief (although I'm sure that's some).  They actually work on the mechanism that produces the cramps.  That's why Tylenol is useless. 

• Like 7

Staying on top of the pain helps some. I took 3 ibprofren every 4 hrs and skipped the first day of school to lay in bed with a heating pad. My parents finally let me get birth control when I was 17. That helped so, so much. My mom was an awesome mom in so many ways, but she never had horrible periods and I don't think she truly understood just how bad mine were.

• Like 1

800 mg ibuprofen. A sofa, a heating pad, and being allowed to just stay there with a tv or an unimportant book. If she needs to be able to function, I would highly suggest bcp taken in the manner that eliminates her period completely (don't take the placebos). If she is homeschooled, plan to give her a couple of sick days each month. I did have one dd who had to take an entire week out each month. I allowed it because I didn't want her on bcp that young. If she had been in ps, she would have been on them.

• Like 1

I alternate - one extra strength tylenol, two aspirin, one ibuprofen. If I wake up at 8 I take the tylenol, then at 10 the aspirin, and at noon the ibuprofen, and so on like that. That and hot showers works.

However, if you or she suspects that these cramps are worse than normal - or if they're just very debilitating - please speak to a doctor.

I've found that Aleve/Naproxen is much more effective for menstrual cramps than Tylenol or ibuprofen. You can also combine Aleve with Tylenol (but not with ibuprofen), because they work differently. As others have said, you need to start taking it a day or two before the cramps start. It not only blocks the pain, it actually reduces the uterine contractions that cause the pain. I used to have severe dysmenorrhea, with headaches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, cold sweats, and even fainting — the whole lovely package. The prescription strength of Aleve (Anaprox) literally changed my life.

• Like 1

My cramps were so bad that a hysterectomy was floated as a possible treatment. I have a friend who had one for much the same reason. I was in the long periods, vomiting, severe cramping camp.

I agree that if they are very bad cramps that yoga, showers and supplements are a drop in the bucket unlikely to help. I couldn't even stand in the shower when I had the worst of my cramps. Get her some prescription strength Aleve or ibprophen. Some girls do well on the pill if this is a big problem.

On the upside many women like me report that after pregnancy and childbirth the cramps go away or are much lessened. Not a solution for now, but something to think about later. I have not had any comparable issue with cramps since my son was born 12 years back.

• Like 1

I've recently been going to acupuncture to treat PMS and heavy periods.  It has improved tremendously.  Kids as young as 8 or 9 can get treatments, so it would work fine for teens.

I used to do the 3 Advil every 6 hours starting 3 days before my period and continue till day 4.  It helped with my pain and ability to function, but seriously... that's a lot of ibuprofen to put in your body 6 days each month. 

I recommend looking into acupuncture.

• Like 1

Mine were so extreme they caused vomiting and diarrhea (sorry). I was eventually medicated.

Uterine cramps:

Exercise. Regular cardio and abdominal workouts. SHE CANNOT LAY AROUND ON HER PERIOD! Get that girl moving.

Heat. Hot baths and a heat pad. I used to toss a near boiling Nalgene in my bed right before I went to sleep to keep my bed warm all night.

Vaginal cramps:

Kegals. A doctor can ensure she's doing it properly.

Menstrual cup. I know this sounds crazy but I swear it like supports your vaginal walls or something.

She needs to identify the difference between the different types of cramps so that she can treat them properly and acknowledge triggers. Caffeine, sugar, medication. All can be triggers. I hope she feels better.

I was one who has suffered for years with cramps. Having babies didn't change much. 

I noticed improvement when I started supplementing with vitamin D3. So , I started having my girls take it about a year ago. They don't seem to suffer from cramps -- I have no idea why they don't. One is a competitive gymnast and the other does martial arts 3-5 days per week. So, part of the improvement might be their activity level. 

I do notice improvement in my cramps when I am exercising regulary -- I need to get started again. )

Otherwise, Ibruprofen the day before starting to get ahead of the pain and continuing to take it until I know the cramping is done. I also make sure that I get enough sleep in the days leading up, especially since  the night before the cramping begins, I usually have insomnia. 

I used Aleve for a while, but I found once I got in the habit of taking them as soon as my period started, before I started to get cramps, I was able to switch to a normal dose of Advil.  It isn't actually the pain control that is the issue, the drug actually affects the hormones involved, so if it is taken before the pain starts it actually prevents it.

I also found hot baths helped, and hot water bottles.  Exercise also made a big difference, though it was hard to get motivated to do it. 

I'm another 800mg ibuprofen advocate.  But, I don't find it necessary to start 2 days before.  I just take it at the first little twinge of cramp. And, I usually only require the 800mg once.  I take 4 regular 200mg tablets rather than a prescription version.  The coating on the orange tablets buffers the medicine and keeps it from upsetting my stomach.  The big prescription 800mg pills give me a bad stomachache.  

Anyway, the 400mg kicks in within an hour, and the cramps go to practically nothing.  After that, I take 2 tablets (400 mg) every four hours for the rest of the day.  I don't usually need anything the second day, but if I do, 3 tablets is usually sufficient to stop them for the rest of the period.

Like someone else said, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, and generic) and Aleve (naproxin) are anti-prostaglandin.  They don't just block the pain from cramps (like Tylenol).  They actually STOP the cramping.  

I always get very sleepy the first day of my period, but I don't know if it's caused by the period itself, or from the ibuprofen.  Either way, I usually feel better if I take a nap after I take the first dose of ibuprofen -- I wake up alert and cramp free.

• Like 1

Advil (or Aleve if Advil doesn't work) before the cramps get started.

Intense exercise. I prefer running. I hate hate hate exercising, but I'll gladly do it on those first days of the period to stop cramps. 

Hot showers, hot packs (rice works great), and more advil for relief.

• 1 month later...

If she is regular our doctor prescribed Aleve twice a day starting 2-3 days before her period started through the 2nd day. That really helped.

This was a game changer for me!  I have always had easy periods, but in the past couple years they got pretty bad.  I actually fainted once.  Scared my husband more than it scared me TBH.

After that I sort of had to go to the doctor, if only to prove to DH that I wasn't about to die or something.  She suggested taking two Aleve before bedtime every night for the three days before my period is due and then a night or two after.  Since then I have gone back to my minimal cramping.  I love it!

How and why? Are Always pads toxic? How can the pad make a difference? (Sincerely asking!!!)

Always and other pads have chemicals in them and are bleached.   One theory out there is that these chemicals encourage you to bleed more, therefore cramp more.   

I don't know if it's true, but I do know since switching from tampons/disposable pads to cloth pads/cup my cramps have dramatically lessened.  

• Like 1

My teen DD is usually in bed for an entire week with her's.  In August, she was diagnosed with cysts.  A friend recommended we try the Aleve thing, so this month, when she started with the cyst pain again, we started the Aleve. Sometime during day 2, she proclaimed it was helping.  By day 3, she wasn't in bed.  Since she is regular, we will start it next month a couple of days before her cycle. 

We are also going to try switching to cloth menstrual pads this month too (if I ever get them sewn).

My dd switched to Seventh Generation pads and it made a world of difference. 

How and why? Are Always pads toxic? How can the pad make a difference? (Sincerely asking!!!)

Always and other pads have chemicals in them and are bleached.   One theory out there is that these chemicals encourage you to bleed more, therefore cramp more.   

I don't know if it's true, but I do know since switching from tampons/disposable pads to cloth pads/cup my cramps have dramatically lessened.  

Zebra is right, I have read that the chemicals cause a heavier flow.  I don't really know what the reason is, I just wish we had Seventh Generation when I was a teen.