Menu

The hard to buy for people.

Night Elf

I realize it's early to be worrying about Christmas but I am stumped. I've been thinking for months and have come up with nothing.

A 19 year old young man. My son to be exact. I have no idea what to get him for this Christmas. There is nothing he needs nor anything he wants. I could list out all the things he's not, like he's not athletic, mechanical or creative. He doesn't build things. He doesn't collect things. He doesn't like clothes and wears the same tshirts and pants year round. He doesn't wear gloves or a scarf. He doesn't see the need for more than one pair of shoes. He used to love Legos but there is no more room for them. His room is jam packed even with a 6 foot table with a city layout. He can't even fit another vehicle on the table. He has all the electronics he needs. He has a nice pair of headphones that he loves. He doesn't drive so he doesn't eat out without me being there with him. He hates leaving the house so buying an experience won't work. There is nowhere he wants to go. He doesn't care what his room looks like so there is no decoration or bedding item that would work.

And I must say I have no idea what to buy my daughters either, but at least they like clothes and shoes. I can take them shopping one day and they'd be happy.

I'll have no surprises for anyone this year and that makes me sad.

Does he read for fun? Does he have a favorite game on the computer? Is there a particular reason he favors one shirt beyond the no desire to do laundry? Does his room have a large empty bookshelf that could hold more collector style Lego set (i.e. the Star Wars Death Star)?

If push comes to shove, maybe a creative coupon book. You know the "Mom will do your laundry this week, chore pass, pick dinner, buy you a new book of your choosing" style.

Will your son live with you indefinitely, or does he plan to be out on his own?

When I run into gift giving challenges with older teen guys, I'd either give cash, gift cards for consumables, or else things I know they'll need in the near future, like tools. A friend in a similar situation with an older daughter gave things her daughter would need for dorm living.

My minimalist son would save up Walmart gift cards he got from relatives sometimes for years, but then he had them when he wanted to buy something more expensive or when he was short on cash. He just took the last one off to college, and I'll bet my dad bought him that one five years ago. He didn't care about stuff then, but he's glad for the $50 for groceries and misc now! I can't say it gave my relatives much pleasure at the time, but he was and is grateful.

• Like 5

I realize it's early to be worrying about Christmas but I am stumped. I've been thinking for months and have come up with nothing.

A 19 year old young man. My son to be exact. I have no idea what to get him for this Christmas. There is nothing he needs nor anything he wants. I could list out all the things he's not, like he's not athletic, mechanical or creative. He doesn't build things. He doesn't collect things. He doesn't like clothes and wears the same tshirts and pants year round. He doesn't wear gloves or a scarf. He doesn't see the need for more than one pair of shoes. He used to love Legos but there is no more room for them. His room is jam packed even with a 6 foot table with a city layout. He can't even fit another vehicle on the table. He has all the electronics he needs. He has a nice pair of headphones that he loves. He doesn't drive so he doesn't eat out without me being there with him. He hates leaving the house so buying an experience won't work. There is nowhere he wants to go. He doesn't care what his room looks like so there is no decoration or bedding item that would work.

And I must say I have no idea what to buy my daughters either, but at least they like clothes and shoes. I can take them shopping one day and they'd be happy.

Do they like surprises?  I have to be honest and say that I hate surprises.  I always have.  I like to choose my own things.  

I tend to shop this way for my kids too.  I want to only spend on what they actually want so I don't buy things they may not like.  

Dawn

He doesn't read books or magazines. He has one bookshelf in his room that holds magazines and books from when he was much younger he doesn't read but refuses to throw out. Two shelves hold Lego sets. I would like to think he'll eventually move out. He has Aspergers but it shouldn't stop him from living a normal life. He's in college part-time this semester and hates it. He does play computer games but only one at a time. They aren't even really popular ones. His most recent purchase is an old Russian video game that isn't even translated. I always ask if there are any games he wants for Christmas or his birthday. He doesn't play board games or card games either. I didn't buy him anything for his last birthday. He didn't want anything.

You're telling us all the things he doesn't do- but what DOES he do all day? That kind of info might help us brainstorm a little better.  School part time is all I can tell but I'm sure he does things to fill the rest of his days. 

Ds has to be prodded to get out and try new things, but once he does them he usually has a good time. We try to springboard off things he enjoys. So he likes World War 2 era history and we've done things like a World War 2 experience at a museum near Chicago, a tank ride, and today he's going to a large WW2 re-enactment event. All of these things had  to be suggested to him...and sometimes he had to be dragged....but once he got there, he liked it. This is the 8th time he's been to the WW2 re-enactment weekend, so sometimes it's worth digging to develop an interest. 

So what does your son enjoy?

BTW, I sympathize with having older kids and how that changes holidays. It's not nearly as easy to surprise them as it was when they were little. Admittedly,  I'm glad I no longer have to stand in line to get THE hot toy of the year (I'm looking at you, Furby)!

My dad is really hard to buy for. He loves staying home and reading science fiction novels, but there's no way I could figure out which he has or hasn't read. He's a total cheapskate when it comes to himself, so I have started buying nicer quality of stuff he needs. Nice socks that have wide calves and fit without being too tight. Nice sneakers. Jeans bringing him into 2015 so he will donate the light wash cargo jeans. Why yes, they are comfy now that they put spandex in the weave! And yes, New Balance shoes are more comfy than $9.97 Walmart sneakers. Who knew?! ;)

Maybe update his jeans. Men's face scrub and moisturizer? New electric razor? Good-feeling body wash? New pillows with some super comfy sheets? Even if he doesn't care what they look like, he'll appreciate the comfort level. New comfy computer chair for gaming? Slippers or house shoes? Coffee/tea/hot cocoa mug for him for school or his room that won't spill? (I love the Contigo mugs at Costco. All grandparents and work staff get a new one each year.) A batch of his favorite cookie dough in the freezer--he can bake off a few at a time, or already baked if they're not a gooey cookie. (I do that for my dad too)

• Like 4

ASD is a huge complication when shopping. These kids love repetition and get anxious with change, so what feels like a gift to the giver, is received with suspicion and resistance. Add in the fact that sometimes their faces or words don't reflect their enjoyment when they do get a gift they love, and it can be downright discouraging. ((Hugs))

It is okay to not buy him anything "exciting." Yes it might spoil your day, but it will make his celebration much more comfortable.

You know he enjoys lego - would he be okay with building something with the intention of "sharing" the gift with a younger cousin after he shows them what the completed structure will look like? Could you build shelves in the basement to create a "museum" of older structures? Would he be interested in moving up to Technics and using the computer to power them?

Leave his shoes alone, but pick up some laces in his favorite color. Stock up on his favorite snack (a giant box full of brownie mix looks impressive, even if it is the same amount you would naturally buy throughout the year). Honor his love of a favorite tee shirt by not buying a new style, but give him a certificate that says you have purchased a second one so that when he needs it, you can quickly replace it. (Don't show him the new one yet as He might feel compelled to point out each and every minuscule difference)

Consistency is comfort to your boy. Focus on that and find ways to honor it with your gifts.

• Like 1

Can he hang Lego creations from the ceiling?  Then he could build some of the Star Wars fighters etc. and hang them over the table.

My 24-year-old son with autism is getting the latest version of Disney Infinity, which now has Star Wars.  It comes on various platforms.  Lego folks are coming out with Dimensions this Sunday - it mashes up several franchises and looks interesting. Again, a game for a console, but it also involves building adn rebuilding little Lego things which then affect the game. I am waiting to see reviews.

Would he use an iPad?  I keep getting DS models with more and more storage (refurbished, not new) from Apple.  Right now I am finishing the downloading of all his fav apps and books etc. onto a 128gb iPad air 2 since he has filled the memory of the 64gb used iPad3 he got two years ago.  I am not allowed to delete any apps, he doesn't understand that they can be reloaded later if he wants to use them again. 

• Like 1

What's wrong with cash?

As my kids have gotten older, the "surprise" element loses its appeal for them.  As a giver, cash can seem cold and impersonal. As a recipient, cash is nice to have when you do decide you want to buy something (that random Russian video game, for example).

My 17yods requested cash for his birthday this year. That's what we'll be giving my older daughter too. It seems weird, not much to open, even when combined with a few small gifts.  But it's appreciated, and I remember how much I've ALWAYS loved getting cash as a gift.

The young adult children are hard to buy for.  For my 20 year old this year I will probably get him movie and star bucks gift cards for he buys everything he wants/needs on his own but I am sure he likes to have something to open.  My 23 year old probably gift cards also.    I have younger children so Christmas morning is still big for them but when they get older I think I am just going to bring everyone out to nice dinner on Christmas eve and sleep in Christmas morning and maybe have a light lunch/dinner buffett  for whoever wants to stop by and just evaluate needs/wants year to year. 

• Like 1

Save money for him, the day might come that he'll need it. Does he have any favorites? Dessert? Meal? I'd do something along those lines. I know some people think money is not very exciting or personal, but at that age I think it's great! I have an almost 20yr old who is broke, she loves getting fun money for when she needs it or wants it

• Like 1

Kinda boring but my parents now give their adult kids, stocks. I love it because no clutter, no faking about a horribly ugly sweater and our little nest egg grows.

I like this idea! 

Another thing I read about somewhere -- you can contribute to your child's (Roth? or maybe regular?) IRA but I don't know what the age limitations are, or contribution caps, etc. I believe the child has to have earned income.  One of my relatives wants to do this for my kids so I guess I need to read up on the rules.  Anyway, it's definitely a clutter-free option :)

• Like 1

Not very surprise-ish but last year our sons got new chairs for their computer desks.

One year they got new gaming headsets.

Maybe a gift card to his favorite restaurant? Or just a homemade gift cert for a dinner out to his choice of restaurant.

Does he read comic strips? Pearls Before Swine and (old) Foxtrot comic books are favorites here.

• Like 2

Does he watch movies? My son majored in film and we give him 5-8 movies every Christmas. He choses classics and foreign stuff--artsy-fartsy, but I always end up watching them, too, so it's a gift I enjoy, also!

I like upthread the idea of new gaming things (headphones, chair).

Maybe a good backpack, made of leather, stuffed with headphones, movies and his favorite candy, all wrapped separately? That would have a little oommph, be practical AND be fun.

• Like 1

Ds used to be hard to buy for.  There were several birthdays and Christmases that went by with just a few token gifts and an IOU.  One year, I took all the IOUs and bought him a gaming laptop.  He loved it.

Over the years, I have been able to buy him gaming headphones, separate quality headphones that are for his music and a gaming mouse.

He likes Anime, so I started buying him Studio Ghibli movies and then started branching out from there.  He now has about 30 movies, anything from the more little kid appropriate like Totoro, to Steins Gate and East of Eden which are TV series that a teen would enjoy. 

I buy him some favorite snacks like a bunch of different trail mixes, Lindt chocolates, chocolate/coconut/almonds, etc for when he is hanging out in his room.  I buy the same things for downstairs on occasion, but since they are his, he can just keep them and eat them all himself. LOL

Ds likes his college sweatshirts and lanyard....if you son was home schooled and your school had a name, would he like a sweatshirt with that on it? You can have just about anything made on a t-shirt or sweatshirt now online. 

I try to find new CDs every Christmas for Ds to try out.  I research other bands that are similar to his favorite and get him something he wouldn't pick out for himself.  Some have been hits, others misses but either way he likes trying something new.  Even though a lot of music is available online for free (we have Pandora and Amazon Prime) Ds Loves having CDs.  He only uses digital copies when he is riding his bike or in a situation where it makes more sense (like at night as a camp counselor on an ipod with earbuds). 

If you really can't think of anything, I would just start putting money in a savings account for him.  He will find a need for it some day and will be happy to have the cash. 

• Like 1

He doesn't read books or magazines. He has one bookshelf in his room that holds magazines and books from when he was much younger he doesn't read but refuses to throw out. Two shelves hold Lego sets. I would like to think he'll eventually move out. He has Aspergers but it shouldn't stop him from living a normal life. He's in college part-time this semester and hates it. He does play computer games but only one at a time. They aren't even really popular ones. His most recent purchase is an old Russian video game that isn't even translated. I always ask if there are any games he wants for Christmas or his birthday. He doesn't play board games or card games either. I didn't buy him anything for his last birthday. He didn't want anything.

I haven't read through all the replies, but you could be describing my son (now 23, although he is away at college).  He never wants anything either.

I've resorted to: 1. A new wall calendar every year.  I buy one that I think he will like and he can put it on the wall of his room at uni.  Since I know he likes Lord of the Rings, Deep Space, and Fractals, I alternate between those.  The element of surprise comes from his not knowing which one I'll get.....

2.  Experiences.  He doesn't ask for these things, but some that we've hit upon include:  rock climbing wall experience, planetarium visit, an hour's lesson flying an airplane (this was last year--a big hit--too bad we can't afford to do that but once in a blue moon....).  We try to pick something in line with stuff he's liked to do in the past.

I've found with my Aspie that I have to learn to ask the right questions:  What do you need?  What do you want? will be answered honestly with "Nothing."  But, "Would you go with us and enjoy xxxx outing" is usually answered with a No or Maybe.  We always consider a Maybe a real possibility....

• Like 2

I gave up trying to please everyone (my oldest is a bear sometimes) and resort to cash each Christmas. For my own pleasure, I usually try to find a piece of clothing each person likes and, if inspired, something else personal for them....but that's only if I'm inspired. We still do fun and silly in Christmas stockings, of course, so there is pleasurable shopping opportunities for me.

We love experiences here, too. As our children have grown up, we've tried to do a trip or event as a family each year. Harder these days with everyone's jobs, but we manage. I still believe making memories is the best gift my husband and I can give them.

I ask for a list. It gives me ideas of what they are thinking they might want. I can get what they want, or give them something similar and surprising. I have had so many gifts that were not what I would want or like, that sit on the shelf and are never used. I think that my kids like it when they get things they like and will use.

I’m sorry! I should have responded a long time ago but I actually forgot I had posted this thread until this morning. I appreciate all the responses. Let me answer some of the questions. This is going to be long and isn’t intended to be argumentative. I’m just describing him so you’ll know him better. I’ll split it into two posts though because there is so much. Don’t feel you need to read through it though. I just appreciate the responses and want to reply to as many as I can.

What does he like to do? Oh my, it’s terribly embarrassing to admit. He watches videos of other people reviewing and playing video games. He is currently playing two computer games. He dabbles in Minecraft occasionally. He doesn’t play his game consoles anymore and he has half a dozen of them. Occasionally he’ll read random articles but I don’t know where he goes to find them. He recently told me he read about black stars. I tried to find him a science magazine but he didn’t like the ones I purchased. I’ll start a new post asking about popular science magazines. Maybe I missed something. He likes some history topics but has vetoed books of any kind. He reads what he wants to read online and doesn’t see the point of books.

I did ask him what he wants but he says there is nothing. He doesn’t even want a Steam gift card.

Having Aspergers can be challenging, that’s for sure. He hates change and is fairly rigid in his thinking. He does express happiness when something good happens but it’s still rather subdued. He has learned it’s not polite to bash something he doesn’t like so he’ll accept any gift with a thank you, but I can tell which gifts don’t appeal. Last year I got him a card game based on reviews on this board and he had no desire to even try to learn to play it.

He has a nice savings account but doesn’t plan to use it for anything. I’ll probably give all my kids cash this year. I just wanted to come up with some tangible gifts.

He has a driver’s learners permit but has no interest in learning to drive. It’s a 2 year license and we’ll have to renew it in April because I’m positive he won’t be testing for his real license before then. I do plan on hiring an instructor and my son hates the idea but I don’t consider it an option. It’s a definite must-do.

There are only two snack foods he currently eats, but I can think of a couple more things he might like. He’s not really a foodie. I put candy in stockings already. I never know what else to put in them, so I stick to candy.

• Like 3

I’ve gotten one great idea from this thread. A new computer chair. He could definitely use one. He hasn’t complained about his but it really is in bad shape.

He doesn’t like traveling. We go to Wisconsin once a year to visit family and he dreads it. We’ve taken him to some places around our state but he didn’t care for any of the trips. He doesn’t watch movies and hates theaters because they are too loud.

As for giving him more space, we moved his Lego creations from his room to the room next door to him. We have some bookshelves in there with nothing else so the table fit in perfectly. I think there is room for one more card sized table and I offered to buy him one so he could get more Lego sets but he doesn’t want to do that. I think he’s lost his interest in building. He doesn’t want to get rid of the built sets he has, I think because he is resistant to change. I wonder what he would do if I went ahead and bought him a new Lego set anyway. I don’t know if he would enjoy it since he’s already told me he doesn’t want new stuff since it won’t fit on his table.

We bought him a laptop for school. He only uses it for school as he prefers his desktop computer for his entertainment. Last year we upgraded his video card and added more memory. I’m not sure what else we could do for it. He doesn’t really need a new computer as he’s able to do all the stuff he wants to do on his current model.

He has an ipod full of music, lots of recommendations from his Grand Theft Auto video games. He likes to listen to the 80’s station in my car so he’s found some songs he likes that way as well. I couldn’t even begin to guess what kind of music to suggest to him. I once asked if he had a favorite band or musician but he said no. He just likes the songs for what they are and doesn’t seek out music from the same musicians just because he likes one particular song.

The one gift I do give to him every year that is now expected is a daily Mythbusters calendar.

• Like 3

"The one gift I do give to him every year that is now expected is a daily Mythbusters calendar."

One of the first things my DS asked for this year is a new Minecraft calendar :)  

And the chair idea is great!

Well, unless he's a lot better about it than my son, he's probably got some clothes that need to be replaced.  Jeans, shirts, socks, and a back up pair of shoes...that's already more than enough, IMO.

My son sounds a lot like yours. :)  Does your son like weapons? Mine adored the karambit knife I got him last year.(Just collects weapons, lol)  Also, mine has shown interest in a ukulale.  My ds is a gamer and has loved his gaming keyboard(lights up and makes a clicky noise??) , gaming mouse, headphones.  A nice desk chair is a great idea.

Oh!  I forgot:  All the kids like Mental Floss Magazine.

The one gift I do give to him every year that is now expected is a daily Mythbusters calendar.

Does this mean that he likes Mythbusters, or is it just ritual? If he actually likes them, have you checked to see how close their live shows will come to your area?